Harry Potter vs. Twilight

IeatWindex

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sums up what I think ^

yeah, that was good.

so to keep on topic, hp > twilight, but im not a fan of either one.

UZp6G.png

32,606th to 99 magic || 15,388th to 99 dungeoneering || 12,647th to 99 farming

14,792nd to 99 range || 24,954th to 99 herblore

I was planning on reading some Steven King this summer (Dark Tower maybe), but if I keep hearing about Twilight I may have to read just so I can say that I have when I bash it (note that, I've read H.P., not Twilight).

Anywhoo, from what I take, J.K. Rowling and Stephanie Meyer are both trying to write a magical story that fills a fantasy. Rowling fills the idea of escaping something horrible for something absolutely wonderful, with a good vs. evil bit. Meyer fills the idea of the Knight in Shining armor for a teenage girl. Exhibit A is the Wii of books, in that it fills fun for everyone, but can't stand up to books like LotR. Exhibit B only fills to a VERY specific audience.

Rowling had her books planned from the very beginning. She had been writing H.P. for over 10 years. She created another universe for people to escape to, like J.R.R. Tolkien (although not nearly as in-depth).

Meyer took three years to publish all of her books. She probably had the whole idea fleshed out, but three years wouldn't give her enough time to fully sync with the book's universe.

They both have their issues: Harry Potter (character) annoys me, mostly because he's whiny, and he doesn't ask Dumbledore for help in the presence of possible death. He's also stubborn (with the memory bits in 4(?)). Number 6 to me, while very important in the series, felt like a "let's make out w/ everyone" bit, in the relationships part. Twilight apparently has clichéd character stereotypes, and no development. And Meyer did absolutely no research on vampires before hand.

Movie wise, I have not seen/plan to see Twilight. Harry Potter lost it's magical feeling after number Two (the departure of Chris Columbus (and Quidditch - my favorite part of the movie!) in favor of drama.

Twilight has a pale pedophile.

Overall, Harry Potter wins.

Twilight dazzled me. Yeah, it's that bad of writing. I haven't seen the movie, but I read the book. I read the first 100 pages, then stopped for three months, then finally got bored enough to finish it. It wasn't very good. At all. Not. Going. To. Read. The. Sequels. Evar.11!1!!!!

As for Harry Potter, I love it. I just finished re-reading the 7th book for the fifth time, and all of those 6 times, I loved it. WORST EPILOGUE EVAR!11! (as some of you have already said, it was way to confusing and cheesy, but let's be honest, don't judge it by that, the whole of twilight was like that) That's my one complaint, the epilogue (other than the typo in the 13th chapter of the 2nd book, of course).

I don't know, I just love re-reading the Harry Potter books, especially when I'm too lazy to go to the library. To be honest, Stephenie Myer's writing is similar to that of a 16 year old girl's. Cliche, unimaginative, and [bleeping] boring! If she could convince herself that vampires sparkled, she should have made it so vampires had lasers coming out of their [wagons].

Bedazzled vampires with laser [wagons]? Hmm, I'm going to go get that published...

Leman.png

Harry Potter(blue), Twilight(red)

hpvstwil.png

"I think I got stupider with every page I read." -younger sister, commenting on Twilight.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

hpvstwil.png

"I think I got stupider with every page I read." -younger sister, commenting on Twilight.

She may not be the best writer, but she writes great character developments :D Characters which people can relate to. That's important.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

hpvstwil.png

She may not be the best writer, but she writes great character developments :D Characters which people can relate to. That's important.

::' Relate too? How do you relate too vegetarian sparkling vampires, werewolves, and a girl who is quite hot for vampires.

I think its impossible to relate to anybody between the two. It just can't be done.

GG.gif

hpvstwil.png

::' Relate too? How do you relate too vegetarian sparkling vampires, werewolves, and a girl who is quite hot for vampires.

I think its impossible to relate to anybody between the two. It just can't be done.

Because, they deal with the aspect of teenage love. In the style of an older woman's fantasy.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

The Discworld Series still is the best series ever written. Between these two I'd pick Harry Potter, although I liked Twilight as well. I agree with every bad thing said over it, but while I read it I didn't see them :lol: Guess that means I'm stuck liking every fantasy book ever written ::'

koen9qy.png

hpvstwil.png

Says the person whose rabid fangirlism is self-evident by the Twilight signature & avatar...

On a serious note, I used to like the Harry Potter movies, but now I look back and say, Man I have grown into liking Horrors, and Sci Fi.

How did I actually like that? :|

Either way, both suck, but I'd rather watch Harry Potter, since the whole idea of Twilight is stupid in my opinion. It goes against all folklore.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

Because, they deal with the aspect of teenage love. In the style of an older woman's fantasy.

So we're calling he a pedophile now? :lol:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Uhh, isn't the character of Edward a pedophile anyway?

I mean, he's over 100 years old. She's what? 16/17?

You could also say that Meyer uses the character of Bella to act out her fantasies she had when she was younger.

Or she wanted to make money off the girls who needed a trashy romance book.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Uhh, isn't the character of Edward a pedophile anyway?

I mean, he's over 100 years old. She's what? 16/17?

You could also say that Meyer uses the character of Bella to act out her fantasies she had when she was younger.

Or she wanted to make money off the girls who needed a trashy romance book.

Truthfully I know nothing of the book other than a shiney vampire stalking a teenage girl in the Olympic peninsula in Washington.

A 164-year-old making love to a 17 year old? Haha, brilliant. :lol:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

The books: Harry potter without a doubt. I read Twilight (the first one) and it was good, but not nearly as good as harry potter.

As far as the movies go, Harry Potter is better, but the movies make no sense. The plot is so warped it's barely the same story.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

You mean how the two aren't really in love but dependent on each other. I've read the first Twilight, that wasn't love. That was superficial dependency that was overall just weird and obsessive.

For a real vampire book, read Anne Rice. For a real trashy romance, read anything with a half-naked Fabio on the cover.

Harry Potter on the other hand could be classified as literature. It has all the elements of literature and of a literary hero. While the series isn't my favorite book in the world nor is it the best literature, it has real value that Twilight could never compare with.

By the way, vampires don't sparkle damnit...

Cowards can't block Warriors.

You mean how the two aren't really in love but dependent on each other. I've read the first Twilight, that wasn't love. That was superficial dependency that was overall just weird and obsessive.

Sounds a bit like some teenage love to me.

Plus I said it was in the style of Meyer's fantasy.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Sounds a bit like some teenage love to me.

Plus I said it was in the style of Meyer's fantasy.

I was taking a shot at her gross, dumb fantasies, not you. I know they were fantasies, they're just not really in love.

Cowards can't block Warriors.