Convincing a friend to excercise.

Dizzle229

My best advice to you is to let the kid do whatever he wants, however, it wouldn't hurt to invite him to do things requiring a little physical effort, such as laser tag, line dancing, bowling, etc. Slowly build your way up to to more intense outings as opposed to "fun" ones, perhaps go hiking or skateboarding/rollerblading at a local park?

I'm no expert at this kind of thing, fair warning. Apparently, in the long run, I've hit the metabolic jackpot and I can eat anything I want and still maintain a very slender weight while doing little to nothing for it. I'm not sedentary, no, I do a lot of walking usually. :thumbsup: And maybe some cardio while I'm watching tv, that's about it.

Best of luck to him in the long run; I hope he decides what he wants.

and these children that you spit on as they try to change

their worlds, they are immune to your consultations;

they're quite aware of what they're going through.

- david bowie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell him he could become this:

southpark.jpg

But for real, if you are a true friend, you will tell him what needs to be said.

I had this obese friend named "bob" lets say. He weighed 100 pounds more then he should've. I asked him to come to the YMCA ,as a guest,with me every Tuesday and Friday (My workout days to prepare for Basic Training). He eventually got his own membership, lost all of the fat, gained a lot of muscle, and lived happily ever after.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Unfortunately, it is his life, and ultimately he has to want it. It really sounds like he doesn't. I have a friend who is in a similar situation but there really isn't much you can do.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Unfortunately, it is his life, and ultimately he has to want it. It really sounds like he doesn't. I have a friend who is in a similar situation but there really isn't much you can do.

Do something fun, not something like force him to do push-ups

Trying rock climbing or canoeing.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Get him to play Wii Fit? It's a start... invite him out to go shopping for games or whatever around a local shopping centre or city. Spending several hours walking around Manchester I've found is pretty tiring.

Wii Fit only helps find your center of balance. It doesn't do anything that taking a walk outside coudn't do and your better off playing DDR if you plan on losing weight.

But play Wii Fit if you want to fix your posture.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Get him to play Wii Fit? It's a start... invite him out to go shopping for games or whatever around a local shopping centre or city. Spending several hours walking around Manchester I've found is pretty tiring.

Wii Fit only helps find your center of balance. It doesn't do anything that taking a walk outside coudn't do and your better off playing DDR if you plan on losing weight.

But play Wii Fit if you want to fix your posture.

I dunno, the jogging on Wii Fit can tire you out.

DDR is good too.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Hmmm, do something he'll enjoy. This puts lazertag high up on the list of possibilities.

You guys are sure it won't work to just be a fitness nazi?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Does he have any sports history? Every kid in middle school played like five sports when I was that age (albiet not well, just to try 'em out). Hard to find someone who doesn't have some experience with at least one sport. Find one he's played and get 'im out.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Does he have any sports history? Every kid in middle school played like five sports when I was that age (albiet not well, just to try 'em out). Hard to find someone who doesn't have some experience with at least one sport. Find one he's played and get 'im out.

This is true. Even I played basketball a good bit when I was around that age, from what I can remember.

I remember reading something about pulling cars with gas off, someone steering and brakes off. That's a damn good workout.... probably fun too, if he's big (I'm guessing likely), you could challenge him this as a strength test or something. Would be cool.

If it's a bad idea, don't flame me, I just read it up on some magazine I forgot the name of =/.

It's his life to destroy, maybe he likes enjoys eating and doesn't mind being fat.

Note: This is coming from an underweight person so I'm not in any denial.

It's more than just the fact that he looks fat, that's not the issue. The problem is the health trouble that I can guarantee he will come too if he doesn't stop. He plays no sports, never has, and tbh if he outright refuses to do anything you guys suggested then whether he likes it or not it's fitness nazi time.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

It's his life to destroy, maybe he likes enjoys eating and doesn't mind being fat.

Note: This is coming from an underweight person so I'm not in any denial.

It's more than just the fact that he looks fat, that's not the issue. The problem is the health trouble that I can guarantee he will come too if he doesn't stop. He plays no sports, never has, and tbh if he outright refuses to do anything you guys suggested then whether he likes it or not it's fitness nazi time.

Ever meet his parents? Do they encourage him to exercise at all, or are they overweight? Family is often very responsible for kids like this.

Fitness Nazi doesn't work on people you don't control. Plus, fatties don't respond to that kind of thing anyway. It's be like trying to force a horse to drink, or a [garden tool] to think. You'll just end up drowning it.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

If he never tried DDR, I would ask him to try it, even if it's just trying once. I have a friend that has it, and only got the chance to play it once, but that's one hell of a good game. Shame that I don't have enough money right now to buy it because of college lol.

I'd say he's still in that age where he doesn't really care about his life. You should wait till he hits an older age, THEN he'll realize what a lardass he must be.

Happened to me. I matured and now I play a lot less games, and I'm also gonna start going to the gym everyday for summer with my friend.

He needs time to realize in on his own.

What's a sig?

It's be like trying to force a horse to drink

Thats an asian parent allegory/ preachy story staple.

I see you too have been indoctrinated into the brotherhood of meaningless folklore/aesopian lectures. With a bad asian accent and bad analogys its [bleep]ing hilarious.

Let Josh do what Josh wants to do.

Yeah, well it's kids like Josh that force school districts to take the good food from vending machines.

No, its over bearing [developmentally delayed]ed school boards that do. And sorry to say, but schools really shouldn't have junk food in their vending machines. They also shouldn't have water for obvious reasons.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.