Mass Effect Thread

sithlord_man

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I know what you mean. That wasn't Grunt for me though i'm sure.

He shows up during that arc, but on another planet. Something about Krogan scouts, I think...

You don't get a Krogan squadmate though.

I thought he died in ME2. Oh well.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

Yeah I know what you mean. That wasn't Grunt for me though i'm sure.

He shows up during that arc, but on another planet. Something about Krogan scouts, I think...

You don't get a Krogan squadmate though.

I thought he died in ME2. Oh well.

Grunt makes an appearance in Mass Effect 3, provided he survived the events of Mass Effect 2. He has since earned the command of Aralakh Company. To a lesser extent, he still experiences the stigma of being tank-born, rather than earning strength in the way other krogan feel is true. Nonetheless, his undeniable prowess in the battle has earned him the respect of his squad.

He helps Shepard investigate the disappearance of other squads in the tunnels of Utukku, where they discover a new brood of rachni who have been twisted by Reaper technology.

If Shepard chooses to spare the Rachni Queen or artificial queen, Aralakh Company is slaughtered holding off wave after wave of rachni. Grunt personally holds several Ravagers off to cover the Commander's escape. If Grunt wasn't loyal during the assault on the Collector Base, then he will be killed; if he was, he survives and contributes to the war effort. Shepard has a chance to speak to him on Earth prior to the final battle.

If Grunt did not survive the events of the Collector attacks, his role is filled by Urdnot Dagg.

From the Mass Effect wiki.

Also, it seems Bioware is working on a different ending as well. Only question is... will they make us pay for it?

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

MORDIN :cry: ...A scientist salarian, Mordin. Through to the end.

Also Legion :-(

I think Mordin's death was the closest I ever came to crying over any media. "Would have liked to run tests on the seashells."

If you think that, this may be the most evil and gut-wrenching things ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-1FAxiUAoo

Mordin can be saved, but only under very special circumstances. Wrex cannot be alive, and Eve cannot survive. Otherwise Mordin will be totally determined to reverse the sabotage, and you'll either have to let him or kill him to prevent him from doing so. Mordin trusts Wrex, and he trusts that Eve would mitigate Wreav's influence, but with Wreav alone to lead the krogans Mordin can be convinced that history will repeat itself.

So yeah, they dealt Mordin a pretty harsh hand in ME3. Not only are you forced to choose the renegade option, but you have to choose him over Wrex and Eve.

I'm glad that Tali, the Quarians, and the Geth at least can all be saved if you play your cards right.

I watched that ending on Youtube and honestly, I don't think it was better than he died here as he did than if he had lived. Mordin was already very old (late 30s and it's rare for a Salarian to live past 40) and this arc showed some great development in his character. As a Salarian, he always chose to act objectively, but still had a moral compass. This final act shows his redemption and his ultimate commitment to his work, exemplifying a scientist salarian. It was almost perfect closure to such a well-crafted character.

Also, it seems Bioware is working on a different ending as well. Only question is... will they make us pay for it?

Almost certainly

I'm also a little irked at how they still didn't do an in-game render of Tali's face, but whatever. Still wuv her <3:

You know you dun goofed when you release a game that has your fanbase going to the FCC to lodge complaints and the backlash of that bad PR forces you to issue a press release about changing/expanding on the ending via DLC. Definitely something to go down the gaming history books.

hzvjpwS.gif

I don't remember their names exactly, but the first Mass Effect had one story writer, "A". ME2 had two story writers, "A" and "B". ME3 only had one story writer, "B", which is where I think Bioware went wrong in all of this. I love the first Mass Effect, but dislike what they did with ME2 (haven't played the third, but I know it's a lot like 2).

I don't remember their names exactly, but the first Mass Effect had one story writer, "A". ME2 had two story writers, "A" and "B". ME3 only had one story writer, "B", which is where I think Bioware went wrong in all of this. I love the first Mass Effect, but dislike what they did with ME2 (haven't played the third, but I know it's a lot like 2).

It's fine tbh. The whole rest of the game was awesome. Just the ending was a flop. A big flop yes, but I do agree with the notion that we can't let it completely detract from the rest of the game.

Also writer A mentioned on his Twitter or something that his fans heavily disliked how he ended a book series of his and maybe he wouldn't have made a difference.

Could someone post (in spoilers I guess) what is so horrible about the ending? I read the basic plot outline on Wikipedia, and it seems kinda lame, yeah, but not really offensive enough for the backlash it sounds like they're getting. Then again, Bioware fans. :v I'll probably make my way to the end and find out it's something like Shepard burning the American flag while making out with Harbinger who has taken over The Illusive Man, but until then, could someone give a quick rundown?

Just finished Grissom Academy, and I like how there are points where the game actually feels challenging, compared to Mass Effect 2. The arena-ish area with the Atlas Mech/Cerberus engineers where the Biotics are supporting you took me a couple of tries, and felt awesome when I finally killed everyone. And then there are places like Kur'shek (or whatever the Salarian place was) which are fun in an entirely different way. The Adrenaline Rushing and taking out a room of dudes with your shotgun kind of fun. And the Reaper cue that happens whenever you scan too much still manages to surprise me every time.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Just got ME2 so that I could go through it before getting ME3. ME3 sounds awesome even if the ending is apparently not good. I don't know why I didn't play the first ME until last week, but that game was pretty awesome, even if it was a storyline that has been used in so many games and movies before. That's one trend I see, they just switch the setting and the characters, but it's still the same basic story. Let's see if the ME2 and ME3 stories still follow the same basic story.

Could someone post (in spoilers I guess) what is so horrible about the ending? I read the basic plot outline on Wikipedia, and it seems kinda lame, yeah, but not really offensive enough for the backlash it sounds like they're getting. Then again, Bioware fans. :v I'll probably make my way to the end and find out it's something like Shepard burning the American flag while making out with Harbinger who has taken over The Illusive Man, but until then, could someone give a quick rundown?

Just finished Grissom Academy, and I like how there are points where the game actually feels challenging, compared to Mass Effect 2. The arena-ish area with the Atlas Mech/Cerberus engineers where the Biotics are supporting you took me a couple of tries, and felt awesome when I finally killed everyone. And then there are places like Kur'shek (or whatever the Salarian place was) which are fun in an entirely different way. The Adrenaline Rushing and taking out a room of dudes with your shotgun kind of fun. And the Reaper cue that happens whenever you scan too much still manages to surprise me every time.

[hide]From what I understand, everyone is mad because absolutely NONE of the choices you have made throughout the games come into effect in the ending. As one of the selling points of the entire series (the choices you make affect everyone, blah blah...), it was disappointing in the end. Plus the ending is just a jumble of not-explained-very-wellness, if you look at that video I posted earlier.[/hide]

[hide]My personal belief on the ending, is before Shep got blasted by Harbinger, he was being indoctrinated. The blast killed him/put him in a coma, but keeps seeing himself (as a sort of afterlife/dream sequence) going on, fighting enemies he has before ("marauder shields", husks) with a pistol that has unlimited ammo (since in his mind, he cannot lose), but the blast eliminated a few memories of his squadmates (Explaining why they were nowhere to be found after the blast). As he enters the Crucible, he is no longer bleeding, and one of his "primary" enemies of his shows up (illusive man), as does his "primary" ally, Anderson. Words are had, IM dies, and Shep meets his most recent traumatic memory: the kid, (representing a second chance, since he failed to save him in the first place from the reapers.) But, since Shepard was indoctrinated before, the kid is acting like the reapers would want him to, as shown with the final choice. As stated in that earlier video, the "paragon" route shows IM (who is clearly a renegade), while Anderson (paragon guy) is shown as the renegade option. You make your choice, and the final cutscene shows Joker and your squad walking out of the normandy, but not everyone is shown (your squadmates that died by the Harbinger blast). The "secret" ending shows an indoctrinated Shepard being re-awoken as a husk, or awaking from his coma.[/hide]

I have no doubt the game itself was awesome (but not as good as the first...), but it just seems like all of that awesome gameplay, only to have such an un-rewarding ending is a slap in the face (Kind of like a certain Halo game...)

(Yes, I know how the game ends without actually playing it. I do that a lot with books/games/movies.)

Yeah, not gonna lie, a lot of those points they (the video) bring up seem pretty dumb. The only point that I think is legitimate is the whole 'Bioware choice' thing but, really, no choices in a Mass Effect game has any real effect. They're... Hobson choices, I think the right term is. Two options giving the same outcome. You'll always arrive at the same outcome, with maybe some changed dialogue and a difference in the good or bad points you get. Sometimes they'll just outright ignore your choices, too, so yeah.

I really don't see why people are getting so riled up about it now, and I really don't see why Bioware is considering listening to them. But, if it turns out that it is indeed all some big Reaper-induced fever dream, I will eat crow and laugh at Bioware.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

[hide]From what I understand, everyone is mad because absolutely NONE of the choices you have made throughout the games come into effect in the ending. As one of the selling points of the entire series (the choices you make affect everyone, blah blah...), it was disappointing in the end. Plus the ending is just a jumble of not-explained-very-wellness, if you look at that video I posted earlier.[/hide]

More than that was just the lack of closure. The ending happens, Shepard dies (potentially), the relays explode, and the Normandy crashes on to a planet in the middle of nowhere... Then it cuts to the distant future without explaining anything about what happened to everyone else. I don't think it was necessarily a bad ending, just that it was far too brief and left behind too many loose ends.

More than that was just the lack of closure. The ending happens, Shepard dies (potentially), the relays explode, and the Normandy crashes on to a planet in the middle of nowhere... Then it cuts to the distant future without explaining anything about what happened to everyone else. I don't think it was necessarily a bad ending, just that it was far too brief and left behind too many loose ends.

And I don't see anything wrong with "loose ends" or it being too brief, and there are a lot of people like me who are confused at the outrage. There are a ton of other movies/books/TV shows that do that, you don't have to fill in all the gaps for the person viewing it.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

And I don't see anything wrong with "loose ends" or it being too brief, and there are a lot of people like me who are confused at the outrage. There are a ton of other movies/books/TV shows that do that, you don't have to fill in all the gaps for the person viewing it.

The Sopranos comes to mind...

It's not only because people found the ending to be nonsensical, it's also because of the promises and how BW advertised their game. I don't know why they said what they said but really...they should know by now that nothing gets by their rabid fans.

Found this thread when I went to BSN (I was there to check how to get a 'better' ending as I was sure the ending I got was the bad one):

Pre-release Developer Quotes

No wonder that one guy filed an FTC report. :mellow:

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

I try to find ways to convince myself the ending is acceptable. When I watch the Indoctrination Theory videos, you realize how many plot holes they do leave and it almost seems impossible for them to fudge it up unknowingly. At least that's what I keep telling myself. I just want to feel good about the game again :pray:

Maybe they messed it up intentionally, knowing fans would be outraged and demand a new ending, which they create and release as DLC, charging for it and making more money...

Until they give the game a proper ending I'll be playing multiplayer, taken a fancy to the human engineer :)

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

Until they give the game a proper ending I'll be playing multiplayer, taken a fancy to the human engineer :)

Chain overload with Neural Shock yes?

Ermm...can anyone teach me how to effectively use an infiltrator (non-sniper cos I suck at aiming) and a vanguard (build too please)?

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

Chain overload with Neural Shock yes?

Ermm...can anyone teach me how to effectively use an infiltrator (non-sniper cos I suck at aiming) and a vanguard (build too please)?

Of course :>

Sadly engie is the only class I use so no info on the others lol

dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

This might help.

You want a light weapon (or two) because lowering Charge's recharge time will probably save your life, especially with the upgrade that fully restores your barrier. Similarly, one of Nova's upgrades lowers its recharge time (And Nova itself isn't affected by recharge times - it uses your barrier instead, which is why it works so well with charge). I'd recommend an assault rifle because you're probably weak at medium and long range, and you can take out enemies that would be suicidal to charge into. You can also charge as a way to escape from that kind of thing. Would recommend playing it in single player in either 2 or 3 first either way.

Personal build is:

Nova to rank 6 with force/damage, power recharge, and sustain

Charge to rank 6 with barrier (Forgot the other two)

Assault Training to 6 with both weight capacity upgrades

And the rest into fitness

I just have the avenger as a weapon, since with both weapon capacity/weight upgrades, I somehow got 200% recharge times.

Or something like that. No idea if it's a good build or not and I know that I made mistakes on it. Possible to redo the stats? :razz:

This might help.

You want a light weapon (or two) because lowering Charge's recharge time will probably save your life, especially with the upgrade that fully restores your barrier. Similarly, one of Nova's upgrades lowers its recharge time (And Nova itself isn't affected by recharge times - it uses your barrier instead, which is why it works so well with charge). I'd recommend an assault rifle because you're probably weak at medium and long range, and you can take out enemies that would be suicidal to charge into. You can also charge as a way to escape from that kind of thing. Would recommend playing it in single player in either 2 or 3 first either way.

Personal build is:

Nova to rank 6 with force/damage, power recharge, and sustain

Charge to rank 6 with barrier (Forgot the other two)

Assault Training to 6 with both weight capacity upgrades

And the rest into fitness

I just have the avenger as a weapon, since with both weapon capacity/weight upgrades, I somehow got 200% recharge times.

Or something like that. No idea if it's a good build or not and I know that I made mistakes on it. Possible to redo the stats? :razz:

I think there's a rare item that let's you reset. Barring that you can always deploy then train up another one.

dea6a17b9c.png