Mass Effect Thread

sithlord_man

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished it for the first time yesterday (the main story anyways), and my god this is a spectacular game. o_o

[spoiler=Spoilers]Lost two people in the last mission, which made me sad. : (

I sent Legion through the ducty things, which I thought would've been okay, since he's a super robot hacker and all, but apparently not. I wasn't too affected by his death since I only just recruited him/did his loyalty mission.

Aaaaand I lost Thane to the seeker swarms, which was worse because Thane was my bro. :<

Played as a Soldier in this one, as well as being a Paragon. But before I knew what the prompts were that came up on the screen, I was talking to some reporter chick in the Citadel and the Renegade prompt came up, so I clicked it and punched her in the face. ._. Definitely playing as the a Biotic class w/Renegade options next time. Watching Jack's Shockwave just wreck everything is hilarious, totally decimates Husks. O:

I'm just getting the DLC now, it sounds pretty interesting. Esp. the Shadow Broker bit, since I love games with massive information databases to wade through. So fun to read. /nerdgasm

I didn't play through the first Mass Effect, so I'm guessing that just defaulted a few of the settings. I'll probably pick it up sometime soon to play through it.

But yeah, easily one of the best games I've played. :3

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

^

[hide]It's ok, everyone (including shepard) in my run died. Yeah... didn't think I had to get the ship upgrades.[/hide]

Funny thing about Thane too. A friend of mine played a female shepard when the game came out. He came on vent one day talking about how Thane raped him. Like Thane was hitting on him and he didn't have any dialog option to say no XD.

^

[hide]It's ok, everyone (including shepard) in my run died. Yeah... didn't think I had to get the ship upgrades.[/hide]

Funny thing about Thane too. A friend of mine played a female shepard when the game came out. He came on vent one day talking about how Thane raped him. Like Thane was hitting on him and he didn't have any dialog option to say no XD.

[hide]Daaaamn, that sounds like more of an accomplishment than keeping everyone alive. o_o I wonder what happens if you can import that save file into ME3?[/hide]

Thane's always seemed kinda creepy, with his whole perfect memory camera angle changing CSI thing. D:

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

^

[hide]Daaaamn, that sounds like more of an accomplishment than keeping everyone alive. o_o I wonder what happens if you can import that save file into ME3?[/hide]

Thane's always seemed kinda creepy, with his whole perfect memory camera angle changing CSI thing. D:

[hide]I couldn't do a new game + with him so probably can't import.

I still have a new run I'm working on, gotta finish it before ME3 lol[/hide]

Just got done with ME2.

Thane died too haha. I pimped out my ship and people with every upgrades cause I spent hours scanning loads of planets. Still got thousands of each mineral left over >_>

I will probably go through ME1 and 2 again as a mother[bleep]ing badass. Later though, when I forget about the storyline a bit so I have fun exploring it :P

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Started up a new game on Insanity today, playing as a Soldier again, but not using my fully-levelled character, which looks like it's possible for some reason. I started it as a Biotic char, but I went back after maybe an hour in because Adrenaline Rush is so goddamn useful. The only thing that irritates me is having to keep telling my team where to go because they're made of stupid. ._.

It's pretty challenging, I kept getting slaughtered by the heavy mech on Freedom's Progress because I am an idiot, but I eventually got through. Playing Paragon again because I don't have it in me to be a bad guy. ._.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

^Haha oh god, the teammates just annoy me so much.

Jack dies every time I have her out and she's like "Shepard, stop shooting me! :c" Well get out the way of the damn heavy mech then you idiota.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

• 4 weeks later...

^Haha oh god, the teammates just annoy me so much.

Jack dies every time I have her out and she's like "Shepard, stop shooting me! :c" Well get out the way of the damn heavy mech then you idiota.

Haha. Stupid AI. I really hope they fix that in ME3...

Trying out pure tech class on insanity ;-;

DO NOT LIKE HUSK RUSHES AND PRAETORIANS.

Notably, my first run had only Mordin die. Apparently he's not built for a "hold-the-line" scenario.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

[spoiler=ME3 Spoilers]I really hope ME3 answers more questions about the Reapers. >_<

Who made the first reaper/s, how their indoctrination works, how long they've been killing everything, stuff like that. If they had any other Collector-equivalents (races modified to abduct people to create new Reapers), whether they stay at a static number and only create a new Reaper when one dies, aaaaa so many questions.

There better be more about other races in the game, Volus, Hanar, Elcor, and the... two (?) others intro'd in ME2, I think. Also more about the races that came before Protheans, particularly Keepers and whoever it is that [bleep]ed that Reaper up that was shown in ME2. Aaaand they should show where the Keepers get all their materials for repairing everything (unexplored parts of the Citadel containing undestroyed records of pre-Prothean inhabitants yes please). It would be interesting to see if the Reapers use any ground forces other than Husks and junk, too.

And I hope they're not just attacking Earth in ME3. I mean I get they hate humans and all but there have got to be a couple-hundred Reapers in the ending cinematic alone, I hope they're totally ruining everyone's day.

Finally, I can't wait to see if anything super awesome happens from choices in ME1/2. Because the playthrough I'm planning to bring through to ME3 (keeping the Rachni Queen alive, converting the Geth to Legion's side) should give me two potential allies against the Reapers. There should be some pretty big consequences for stuff like that in ME3.

So yeah I am kind of excited if you couldn't tell.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

[spoiler=ME3 Spoilers]I really hope ME3 answers more questions about the Reapers. >_<

Who made the first reaper/s, how their indoctrination works, how long they've been killing everything, stuff like that. If they had any other Collector-equivalents (races modified to abduct people to create new Reapers), whether they stay at a static number and only create a new Reaper when one dies, aaaaa so many questions.

There better be more about other races in the game, Volus, Hanar, Elcor, and the... two (?) others intro'd in ME2, I think. Also more about the races that came before Protheans, particularly Keepers and whoever it is that [bleep]ed that Reaper up that was shown in ME2. Aaaand they should show where the Keepers get all their materials for repairing everything (unexplored parts of the Citadel containing undestroyed records of pre-Prothean inhabitants yes please). It would be interesting to see if the Reapers use any ground forces other than Husks and junk, too.

And I hope they're not just attacking Earth in ME3. I mean I get they hate humans and all but there have got to be a couple-hundred Reapers in the ending cinematic alone, I hope they're totally ruining everyone's day.

Finally, I can't wait to see if anything super awesome happens from choices in ME1/2. Because the playthrough I'm planning to bring through to ME3 (keeping the Rachni Queen alive, converting the Geth to Legion's side) should give me two potential allies against the Reapers. There should be some pretty big consequences for stuff like that in ME3.

When was a reaper destroyed in Me2 other than the freaky deaky one at the end?

I didn't think about the Geth allying with the player and Legion, I shut them off. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me, but the Rachni queen should come in useful.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I didn't think about the Geth allying with the player and Legion, I shut them off. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt me, but the Rachni queen should come in useful.

I was talking about the Derelict Reaper base you go to to get the thing that lets you go to the Reaper. Apparently something managed to hit it hard enough to almost destroy it and still keep going to make a pretty big trench in a planet, and Reapers seem pretty tough to kill, so whoever did it must have been pretty badass. : D

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I was talking about the Derelict Reaper base you go to to get the thing that lets you go to the Reaper. Apparently something managed to hit it hard enough to almost destroy it and still keep going to make a pretty big trench in a planet, and Reapers seem pretty tough to kill, so whoever did it must have been pretty badass. : D

Oh yeah I totally forgot that. Wasn't it protheon or something along those lines? I don't think it alone would be able to stop an invasion though, something big enough to do that must be built on a planet and not in space and must take a fair while to recharge a shot. Would be good to see if something can be found of the gun though. However, it was cerberus that found it wasn't it and we aren't exactly in their good books now.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Oh yeah I totally forgot that. Wasn't it protheon or something along those lines? I don't think it alone would be able to stop an invasion though, something big enough to do that must be built on a planet and not in space and must take a fair while to recharge a shot. Would be good to see if something can be found of the gun though. However, it was cerberus that found it wasn't it and we aren't exactly in their good books now.

I'm not sure, could have been. And yeah, definitely won't stop all of the Reapers, but that technology would be pretty useful.

And yeah, if Cerberus found it, I guess it's unlikely we'll get our hands on it. But, on the other hand, I think if we asked the Illusive Man nicely he would help us out, hehe. Even if we did screw him over, we're still their best hope against the Reaper threat. >:3

It'd make a nice balance, too, if they choose to implement it. If we destroyed the Collector base, we go and pressure/shoot our way into Cerberus and get some tech related to that massive gun, and if we didn't destroy the tech, we instead get some badass Reaper tech... even though I think that cannon from ME2 is reaper tech anyway. Or similar to it at least.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

On the speaking of allies:

Could the rachni be related to the Keepers? They are pretty similar in being the only real insect looking creatures in the game, and would give good reasoning for the Rachni queen wanting to get involved and knowing of the reapers. They could have been modified much like the protheons modified into the collectors. We know they managed to survive being wiped out by the collective species of the Council so maybe they managed to survive the Reapers in past generations? They would almost be the arch enemy of the reapers, having some of their kind imprisoned on the citadel. Would give reasoning behind them wanting to take control of the galaxy in their war against the council to build their forces for the reaper attacks, and for the queen now wanting to help.

zqXeV.jpg

Sounds pretty plausible. The Reapers do have a history of screwing with the Rachni (apparently they messed with the songs of the Rachni Queens and caused the Rachni Wars), and it's not like Collectors looked exactly like Protheans.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for double-posting, but final ME2 DLC, March 29.

[spoiler=Article for lazy people :3]

At the furthest edge of the galaxy, the Reapers are preparing to make their return. Will Commander Shepard have what it takes to stand in their way? BioWare is announcing today Mass Effect: Arrival, the thrilling final mission for Mass Effect 2. Available for download on March 29, 2011, Mass Effect: Arrival will also include three new achievements for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and PC and three new trophies on PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The PDLC pack will be available for 560 MS Points on Xbox 360, £5.49 on PlayStation Network and also available for PC for 560 BioWare Points at http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-dlc.

In Mass Effect: Arrival, Commander Shepard is sent to the edge of the galaxy to rescue an undercover operative who may have evidence of an imminent Reaper invasion that has been looming since the very beginning of the series. Returning and playing a prominent role in Mass Effect: Arrival is fan favorite Admiral Hackett, who is voiced by legendary science-fiction actor Lance Henriksen (Alien, Terminator).

All year, we have been extremely honored and humbled by the reception we have received for Mass Effect 2 from players around the world, including our post release DLC, said Casey Hudson, Executive Producer, Mass Effect series. Mass Effect: Arrival is an exciting extension to Mass Effect 2 and will show players just how close the Reapers are to returning and completing their deadly harvest.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the most highly decorated games of all time, earning over 90 perfect scores and over 150 awards. This includes over 20 Game of the Year honors, ranging from individual media outlets around the world such as IGN, Eurogamer, G4, MSNBC.com and GameTrailers.com, to top honors from prestigious industry awards, including the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Interactive Achievement Awards, and the Golden Joysticks. Earlier this week, Mass Effect 2 won another Game of the Year honor at the Swedish Dataspelsgalan (Videogame Awards) and Best Game from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTAs) in the UK.

Mass Effect 2 is now available for the PlayStation 3 console, Xbox 360 and PC. Stay tuned for more news about the continuation of Commander Shepards adventure as BioWare will release more information about Mass Effect 3 soon. For more information, please visit http://masseffect.bioware.com/ and follow the development team at twitter.com/masseffect2 or at http://www.facebook.com/masseffect.

Admiral Hackett showing up, aw yeah.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for double-posting, but final ME2 DLC, March 29.

[spoiler=Article for lazy people :3]

At the furthest edge of the galaxy, the Reapers are preparing to make their return. Will Commander Shepard have what it takes to stand in their way? BioWare is announcing today Mass Effect: Arrival, the thrilling final mission for Mass Effect 2. Available for download on March 29, 2011, Mass Effect: Arrival will also include three new achievements for the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and PC and three new trophies on PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. The PDLC pack will be available for 560 MS Points on Xbox 360, £5.49 on PlayStation Network and also available for PC for 560 BioWare Points at http://social.bioware.com/page/me2-dlc.

In Mass Effect: Arrival, Commander Shepard is sent to the edge of the galaxy to rescue an undercover operative who may have evidence of an imminent Reaper invasion that has been looming since the very beginning of the series. Returning and playing a prominent role in Mass Effect: Arrival is fan favorite Admiral Hackett, who is voiced by legendary science-fiction actor Lance Henriksen (Alien, Terminator).

All year, we have been extremely honored and humbled by the reception we have received for Mass Effect 2 from players around the world, including our post release DLC, said Casey Hudson, Executive Producer, Mass Effect series. Mass Effect: Arrival is an exciting extension to Mass Effect 2 and will show players just how close the Reapers are to returning and completing their deadly harvest.

Mass Effect 2 is one of the most highly decorated games of all time, earning over 90 perfect scores and over 150 awards. This includes over 20 Game of the Year honors, ranging from individual media outlets around the world such as IGN, Eurogamer, G4, MSNBC.com and GameTrailers.com, to top honors from prestigious industry awards, including the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Interactive Achievement Awards, and the Golden Joysticks. Earlier this week, Mass Effect 2 won another Game of the Year honor at the Swedish Dataspelsgalan (Videogame Awards) and Best Game from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTAs) in the UK.

Mass Effect 2 is now available for the PlayStation 3 console, Xbox 360 and PC. Stay tuned for more news about the continuation of Commander Shepards adventure as BioWare will release more information about Mass Effect 3 soon. For more information, please visit http://masseffect.bioware.com/ and follow the development team at twitter.com/masseffect2 or at http://www.facebook.com/masseffect.

Admiral Hackett showing up, aw yeah.

I was planning on posting about this.

Just saw my brother complete Lair of the Shadow Broker, I must say, Bioware has not let us down. The music was amazing, and the whole mission was epic. I can't wait to see Arrival.

ME3 Count down begins now, only 8 months of grueling anticipation.

• 2 weeks later...

So-o, played Arrival. Definitely not as good as the Shadow Broker DLC, though it was still pretty enjoyable.

Aaaaand some ME3 scans are out.

[spoiler=Bare Details]- Humans arent the only species that can be Husk-ified

- Despite the assault by the Reapers in the beginning of the game, theres something that is a silver lining

- This silver lining makes it look like its actually possible not to lose against the Reapers

- The Illusive Man sends his top agents to take down Shepard

- Combat is more difficult and varied this time around

- More focus for melee attacks

- Shooting specific armor parts can have certain effects

- Enemy AI will have them routing Shepard and will coordinate with each other

- Larger battlefields

- Pick up enemy weapons

- Again, soldiers can carry all kinds of weapons

- RPG elements will be more integrated

- Modding your weapons will vastly affect their appearance

- Modding weapons also affects how they function in battle

- Species Loyalty cannot only be obtained via quests

- Ladders in levels

- Available squadmates will still maintain a balance, if per say Garrus had not survived ME2′s events

- Decisions in the first game will greatly impact Mass Effect 3 (such as sparring the Rachni)

- No railroad to the end of the game, multiple paths to take back Earth

The pictures look pretty cool, the new Husk looks like a Krogan, though its glowy eye things are kinda in a Batarian shape.

[spoiler=More spoilery junk.]TIM trying to kill Shepard kinda irks me, though. I mean I can't really see him going after Shepard because he blew up the Reaper baby. I suppose he wouldn't see Shepard as humanity's greatest hope anymore though, since Para-Shepard showed that he couldn't make tough decisions. Or, hell, Cerberus might ally with the Reapers. They seem to be all about ascension and 'improving' the races, and TIM seems to be all for improving humanity's station, no matter the cost. It's easy to see him getting dragged into that.

Of course, TIM going after Rene-Shepard seems pretty straightforward. Indoctrination, whee!

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Info on ME3.

[hide]

What's the story?

Piggybacking off of the final DLC available for Mass Effect 2, Arrival, Mass Effect 3 begins with Commander Shepard on trial. In the middle of it, the Reapers show up and start their attack on Earth. If you were concerned that the game would take place entirely on our home turf, don't be. BioWare's Casey Hudson said in the May issue of Game Informer, "The battle for Earth is lost. The only hope is to flee, gather support, and mount a counter-attack to reclaim the planet."

That means that instead of a focus on gathering squad mates, you'll be courting civilizations like the Salarians or Quarians to help ward off the Reapers and save not only Earth, but the entire galaxy.

Another twist revealed in Game Informer is that Cerberus has also decided to turn against Commander Shepard, though the reasoning for that isn't clear yet.

For the unfamiliar, the Reapers are a sentient race of machines who like to wipe out everything in the galaxy every 50,000 years or so. If you're new to the series, be sure to watch our Mass Effect in five minutes video to catch up on part of the storyline.

Will Shepard's powers be reset like they were at the beginning of Mass Effect 2?

BioWare hasn't give specifics yet, but Commander Shepard will not start from scratch the way he did in Mass Effect 2.

What does it play like?

We haven't seen any gameplay footage of Mass Effect 3, but the May issue of Game Informer had quite a few tidbits of juicy info.

Weapons are no longer restricted by class and are customizable with different barrels and scopes, etc. Biotic and tech powers are back of course, and Shepard's skill trees will be more fleshed out than before. Additionally, the cover system has been refined so you no longer need to slide into cover and then hop over objects.

As a whole though, the combat in Mass Effect 3 will play very similarly to Mass Effect 2.

Will it have multiplayer?

The first two titles did not include multiplayer elements, but there have been rumors that it could be incorporated into the third. BioWare's Casey Hudson commented in Game Informer that "we don't have anything to announce at this time" regarding multiplayer.

What characters will return?

So far, BioWare has confirmed the following cast for Mass Effect 3:

* The Illusive Man

* Garrus (if he survived)

* James Sanders (NOT the soldier in the trailer)

* Liara T'Soni

* Kaidan Alenko or Ashley Williams (the Virmire survivor)

* Legion (if he survived)

* Wrex (if he survived)

* Mordin (if he survived)

* Ambassador Udina

* Captain Anderson

Wasn't this game exclusive to Xbox 360?

Although Mass Effect was a former Microsoft exclusive (only available on Xbox 360 and PC), Mass Effect 2 was ported to the PlayStation 3 with an interactive back-story comic in 2011. Mass Effect 3 will release on all platforms simultaneously this fall.

[/hide]

From IGN.com.

Sounds good :thumbup:

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!