Tip.It Times: 5 July 2009

n_odie

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!

P.S. Also if you notice any kind of grammar/spelling mistakes, please PM me instead of posting on here. Thanks!

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always learn a lot about RuneScape when reading Necro's articles, and the secondary was interesting too. Good job guys. :thumbup:

Zonor's captivating writing style is really enjoyable too. Can't wait to see the continuation.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Good job guys.

I'm going to run and get my kudos up to 173 now ::'

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Quality instead of quantity please.

Could you be more specific about what you don't like about this week's articles? How can we improve if you just say it's rubbish? :)

Didn't say it was rubbish, just wrote that statement.

smallsigr.jpg

Quality instead of quantity please.

Could you be more specific about what you don't like about this week's articles? How can we improve if you just say it's rubbish? :)

Didn't say it was rubbish, just wrote that statement.

Well it implies that you're displeased with the articles.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

whocares, if you feel like something could be improved, give specific situations with good examples. One liners sound nice but are almost impossible to work with. A better form of criticism would be: "I feel part X was bad/not very good, because of reason y. This could be improved by method z."

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

@Brave New World: It was a pretty good article. It reminded me of the few weeks that I was able to beta test the new, exciting game (me not getting members until May of RS2's release year). I had to live off of snapshots and rumblings from Members before I could experience the real deal though. It was definitely an exciting time.

@Third Party Communication: There's a lot of things that I agree with here, namely using other applications to reply to other players in real-time (I used to use IRC a lot), and I never did really view them as breaking rules. However, there are a lot of things to be taken with a grain of salt with applications such as Skype, IRC, and especially Ventrillo - unscrupulous administrators can take an innocent person's IP address and wreck all sorts of havoc on them.

Again, I agree with the fundamental point of the article, and it's fine that players use these applications to communicate with others. So long as players assume and are prepared for the risks of doing such.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Again, I agree with the fundamental point of the article, and it's fine that players use these applications to communicate with others. So long as players assume and are prepared for the risks of doing such.

That's also the reason Jagex suggests against using them, which is a good thing looking at the average RS player.

I also feel internet communication will keep missing one of the most important parts of communication: body language. Because of that, I don't really care about the short comings of the current communication system, the biggest drawback will remain for a long time.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

That's also the reason Jagex suggests against using them, which is a good thing looking at the average RS player.

I also feel internet communication will keep missing one of the most important parts of communication: body language. Because of that, I don't really care about the short comings of the current communication system, the biggest drawback will remain for a long time.

Hmm that's one aspect I didn't consider and that like you said IS a big drawback of internet communication. You can't really communicate body language through the internet, even through webcams it's difficult.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I looked over the articles and there doesn't seem to be any quality issues, but I do think that people may not have interest in either history about something that they never took part in or did take part in but are over it, or ways to communicate since they don't use them or never really needed them. Yeah, I know, it's nicely written but people are selfish like that. As for the fictional articles, I don't read them, but I assume they serve a constant purpose that doesn't need much scrutiny unless they're really boring. I don't see many people these days who play RS for the stories, interesting as they are.

You could always try to ask people what they would like to read about before starting on the next article. Or you could just ignore them if you're not trying to please everybody.

On a sidenote, I feel that Jagex could use a PM system in their message boards (plus perhaps a visual overhaul so that I don't feel like I'm in the nineties), although I have to say that having a "bump" button sort of makes things a lot easier.

Oh, and I think we try to compensate for lack of body language with silly emotes.

8f14270694.jpg

Still, those rare few players who had the maximum Smithing level required to make a set of full rune were rewarded for their industriousness, as Jagex gave the first few players to achieve this a free party hat. While a nice gesture, this was mostly just for show, as all RuneScape 2 beta accounts would be wiped when the game would be released to the public.

That's something I never knew, and a bit cruel I might add! :lol:

You could always try to ask people what they would like to read about before starting on the next article. Or you could just ignore them if you're not trying to please everybody.

If there is a topic you would like to see addressed in a future edition of the Times, please feel free to PM me or one of the staff. I know there is no intention of ignoring any readers. We are always up for ideas to write about. Also, if you feel that you could express an idea better, then send in a guest article, or a letter to the editor.

rssig2.png

I have to say, I really enjoyed reading both Necro and Racheya's articles, and I learnt quite a few things from both of them. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Mungo_0.png

awesomesiggeh2.jpg

Yes... Yes, that's what he said.

Siggeh1.jpg

Siggeh2.jpg

:D

Re: Third Party Communication

I enjoyed reading this.

Using third party programs is discouraged by Jagex and is shrouded in ambiguity.

I suspect it's Jagex covering their corporate rear end. If they say it's okay to use teamspeak or skype, they'd be potentially introducing young players to an unmoderated chat system where pedos might prowl. So they give us a filtered chat system and enforce rules about not exchanging personal details through it. Keeps kids safe from dodgy people, keeps Jagex safe from being sued, and anyone who actually wants to use these programs will just go ahead and do it anyway on their own responsibility.

Both articles were fun to read.

And like most people I don't bother to read the fictional one(s).

Sorry Zonorhc...

Frankly, I'd be surprised if most people did.

Wouldn't kill you to start, though.

I, for one, almost never read the non-fictional articles. I honestly prefer fiction, it's what got me into Runescape in the first place. Good, or shall I say very good, job on the fictinoal article, Zonorhc. The non-fictional ones were nice, in terms of writing style and they were quite well researched. However, I found that the topics weren't exactly great. Previously, there has been many articles about current affairs, like the economy and so on, which I prefer. Anyway, good job to all the authors, the articles were excellent as usual.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg

Follower of Guthix

The quill is a miracle, for it drinks darkness and sheds light.

Oh right, by the way, I'm a girl. No more calling me a guy you lot~

Were ok articles, i really liked the first one, but im a history nut, so even 5 years ago i find incredibly interesting.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Re: Third Party Communication

I enjoyed reading this.

Using third party programs is discouraged by Jagex and is shrouded in ambiguity.

I suspect it's Jagex covering their corporate rear end. If they say it's okay to use teamspeak or skype, they'd be potentially introducing young players to an unmoderated chat system where pedos might prowl. So they give us a filtered chat system and enforce rules about not exchanging personal details through it. Keeps kids safe from dodgy people, keeps Jagex safe from being sued, and anyone who actually wants to use these programs will just go ahead and do it anyway on their own responsibility.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think it's mostly to prevent being sued, and to prevent blame if anything bad happens because of these 3rd party softwares. Plus, a large amount of people who play RS are relatively young.

@ The historical article: I like reading this pointless type of information :D

@ 3rd party software article: Very interesting article taking a look at 3rd party software.

@ Fictional article...'fraid I don't read. Although, I probably should.... :oops:

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I hadn't started playing Runescape when it was changed to RS2 so it was interesting to read about the history and how it all went since I never experienced the change. That's one of the reasons I can't wait for Jagex to release RSC for all players to try again.

As for Third Party Communication, Jagex would have to raise the age bar to keep it fitting within today's video game rating standards. If they incorporated things like actual voice chat the game would have to become 18+ due to the impossibility of filtering swearing and other offensive language. Jagex would then loose a large portion of their players (I'd estimate around 70%) if they were to do this. (Even though younger players would still join anyways) It just seems like something that will never happen so we will just have to keep using our 3rd party communications to achieve this.

Although I don't see why Jagex can't add calculators and high score lookups like the tip.it add on has. If Jagex don't want to have it ingame they could always release their own browser bar.

Wow, these articles didn't feel rushed at all, like they usually do. Rushed as in, too short, have to hurry to finish, that is.

1st article:Pictures would have looked very nice with this, but it was interesting nonetheless. I just felt like I was missing the sense of wonder that must have came with the rs2 beta.

2nd article:I've never really felt real life interaction makes a difference when playing rs. I go to the library every chance I get, mainly because most of my friends have come from there, but I always feel better when I'm home rather than there, unless one of a few friends is also at the library. The article did remind me of something though, why doesn't tip have a ventrilo/skype/whatever? I've always been kinda curious.

Fictional article:Well, when I said articles, I meant articles, not stories. I always feel like the stories need to be doubled in length! :wall: Still, I liked the subtle humor, and it looks like it's going to be good.

I'm wondering, will you take an application any time? I'm not sure, but I may want to come here, since the Seers' Journal fell apart.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off