Why slayer?

Kietaro1

I don't really see the point in training combat skills without slayer. The only thing I use my combat skills for is slayer. Without slayer, training combat would be just like all other non combat skills.

2dvjurb.png

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waste of time in my opinion... I can make more money doing non-slayer things, I can get more combat xp doing non-slayer things, I can get more charms doing non-slayer things :|

Yes but it is a good stat for balance. It is more enjoyable than camping waterfiends for 200 hours, or sitting at AZs for countless hours.

Yeah I know - but I've never camped at waterfiends or AZs. I use rock lobsters for charms, TDs for money, and zombie monkeys for combat xp. I have fun barraging rock lobs and hunting TDs, and I don't have to lift a finger for practically 10 minutes at a time at the zombie monkeys :thumbsup:

77yLQy8.png

waste of time in my opinion... I can make more money doing non-slayer things, I can get more combat xp doing non-slayer things, I can get more charms doing non-slayer things :|

And then you have to train Slayer again if you want to max out...

So you waste time by not training to 99 Slayer really.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Though, it can be said that not all people want to max out, and fewer still do.

The one reason I enjoy slayer, is that it provides me a reason to train my ranged up, which was pitifully low for my level when I started slayer. I dislike both of the skills by themselves, but find them quite enjoyable when together. Strange, eh?

TheDarkestLight2.jpg

[hide]

Come, be my light.

Mingle with my darkness

May we mix to create

Our own twilight sunset

The dusk breeze

Spreading clouds

On our murky horizon

~Darkpoet837~[/hide]

Really, I train slayer for total levels and for the upcoming Slaye monster. Other than that, I loathe it. The skill is... stupid. How do I learn more about slaying monsters by killing a single monster 100+ times?

Also, it's bad experience, many assigned monsters have horrid drops, and the high level slayer monsters aren't worth the time spent training Slayer. Take Nechreyaels or whatever they're called- their best drop are rune boots, worth 50K, and most monsters have poor drops overall.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

It had a lot of mystique in the old days when only a few people could drop whips and they were worth alot.

But its rep is just riding on those fumes to be honest.

In reality, its gone quite stale because Jagex rarely updates it and when they do they pad the mid to lower end with it.

Nothing new at the top end for 4 years, doesn't really inspire someone to climb the ranks like whips used to.

Summoning could of revived it, but slayer monsters weren't even given the pitiful charm drops they have now until people ranted.

Well and summoning sucks too, lol, but thats another topic of disappointment...

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Really, I train slayer for total levels and for the upcoming Slaye monster. Other than that, I loathe it. The skill is... stupid. How do I learn more about slaying monsters by killing a single monster 100+ times?

Also, it's bad experience, many assigned monsters have horrid drops, and the high level slayer monsters aren't worth the time spent training Slayer. Take Nechreyaels or whatever they're called- their best drop are rune boots, worth 50K, and most monsters have poor drops overall.

If you just look at the best drops you won't get a good statistical look at the overall drops.

Nechryael's best drop may not be worth much now, but it's overall drops of herb seeds, death runes, charms and rune items will net you about 250k-400k per task depending on your luck.

Now on the other hand, Dark beast's Dark bow may seem well, but their overall drops barely make you break even. Even if you don't require pray, you still only make 100-250k.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Indeed. but I have no interest in maxing out :P

77yLQy8.png

It is the most diverse training of any skill. The appeal is in the variety of tasks you can get, the countless different methods you can use for completing the task, the fact that you will gain experience in atleast 3 stats at once, and the many different drops that you can get through training. Also with the addition of Summoning, slayer monsters are some of the best droppers of charms.

In addition to the summoning part of what Campbell said, the drops you'll make from slayer will pay for training summoning. I didn't have to "money-make" for a second for summoning, because slayer training was already not only training it but also paying for it with whip drops, dragon boots, snap seeds, granite mauls, dark bows, etc etc.

It's a great skill. Ever since I maxed it, I have found that my training in Runescape is a lot more contained and with less variety. Also a lot less profitable and a lot less exciting.

Now, I'm sure monster hunting or gwd'ing is going to be even more exciting than slayer, so slayer isn't the most excitement you can get in the game, but it's at the top.

EDIT- Muggi, the thing is, if you plan on doing all three of those things at once, then slayer is actually going to save you more time in the long run because you're getting all three at once instead of seperately. The "faster," non-slayer methods aren't SO fast that if you do them all seperately they can beat slayer out. Slayer in the long term will always be the faster and better method. Take it from me since I've actually done both, hence why I have so much damn melee exp. lol.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

How is it fun? I can understand it not being boring but it isn't fun.

All slayer does is make you stop training so you can talk to some guy who will tell you to kill something else.

It is hardly diverse each master gives a task out of about 25 monsters.

Slayer seems like jagex decided to make a new skill at 5 o'clock on a friday, when no body could be botherd thinking and just decided to slow combat down by making you talk to a bloke and to make people want to do it make some new fancy items.

It is the most halfed [wagon] skill in runescape, "[bleep] it, that will do" kind of attitude.

perfetc_666.png

IM GOING TO LIVE FOREVER .......... or die trying

All slayer does is make you stop training so you can talk to some guy who will tell you to kill something else.

Slayer seems like jagex decided to make a new skill at 5 o'clock on a friday, when no body could be botherd thinking and just decided to slow combat down by making you talk to a bloke and to make people want to do it make some new fancy items.

It is the most halfed [wagon] skill in runescape, "[bleep] it, that will do" kind of attitude.

Yah 37 new monsters unique to slayer, 2 new dungeons only for slayer, 1 whole tower just for slayer, 26 new drops from the slayer monsters, and giving the best training weapon in the game. Yah slayer was definitly a half assed skill, nothing like "Go burn this log", no slayer doesn't even compare to something that amazing.

You just lost respect points, not because you don't like slayer, but because you pull arbitrary figures out of your [wagon] and then proceed to state unfactual points like slayer slowing down combat. Slayer speeds up combat, sir. (Or Madame, whatever.) You can't train 4 skills (5 if you bury bones) at once with any other skill. You get Att/Str/Def/Ranged/Mage exp + Hit Points + Slayer + Summoning exp all at the very same time. You can't do that with anything else.

I mean, people will this attitude aren't going to be swayed, and I realize that. But don't try to pull "facts," about things out of your bum. It's just very unattractive. lol.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Yah 37 new monsters unique to slayer, 2 new dungeons only for slayer, 1 whole tower just for slayer, 26 new drops from the slayer monsters, and giving the best training weapon in the game. Yah slayer was definitly a half assed skill, nothing like "Go burn this log", no slayer doesn't even compare to something that amazing.

All of those could have been released WITHOUT slayer, though.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Yes, but Slayer gives you more of a challenge to get to use them instead of every tom, [bleep], and harry being able to just waltz on in and start profitting. I could say the same thing about godwars. 70 agility to be able to kill the saradomin general? But Jagex, you could've just as easily released it WITHOUT the agility requirement!

No...it gives more of a challenge in training. Gives you something to work for instead of having things handed to you.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

That is like saying player owned houses could be released without construction, just use fletching to shape the logs into items, and smithing to hammer them in. Runecrafting could have just be an expansion on magic. People want new skills, and if Jagex is able to release like 100 new things into the game, and a new skill all at once, then I am sure people would rather that.

I was commenting on the concept, NOT what it gives or has to it's name.

You just lost respect points, not because you don't like slayer, but because you pull arbitrary figures out of your [wagon] and then proceed to state unfactual points like slayer slowing down combat. Slayer speeds up combat, sir. (Or Madame, whatever.) You can't train 4 skills (5 if you bury bones) at once with any other skill. You get Att/Str/Def/Ranged/Mage exp + Hit Points + Slayer + Summoning exp all at the very same time. You can't do that with anything else.

I mean, people will this attitude aren't going to be swayed, and I realize that. But don't try to pull "facts," about things out of your bum. It's just very unattractive. lol.

Ok, I said 1 number and it was a good guess, I was counting per master, NOT overall.

Duradel - 24 monsters

Sumona - 28

Chaeldar - 28

Vannaka - 34

Mazchna - 26

Turael - 21

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=slayer_guide.htm (I may have missed counted, they kept saying numbers on tv and I couldnt concentrate. :lol: )

Slayer does slow COMBAT down, such as if you want to train attack you can get 100k xp/hour (apparently) or you can train it using slayer and constantly stop to get a new task.

If you want to train getting the most exp in as many skills as possable slayer is untouchable. (how do you range, mage and melee at the same time! :shock: )

Understand what I mean now? Oh, I do hope so.

Ps. I like slayer, wierd I know.

perfetc_666.png

[hide=]

Ok, I said 1 number and it was a good guess, I was counting per master, NOT overall.

Duradel - 24 monsters

Sumona - 28

Chaeldar - 28

Vannaka - 34

Mazchna - 26

Turael - 21

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=slayer_guide.htm

Slayer does slow COMBAT down, such as if you want to train attack you can get 100k xp/hour (apparently) or you can train it using slayer and constantly stop to get a new task.

If you want to train getting the most exp in as many skills as possable slayer is untouchable. (how do you range, mage and melee at the same time! :shock: )

[/hide]

When did I say you could train ranged, magic and melee at the same time? If I am just throwing this out there but I used slashes between them, not plus signs, which should indicate you have to get either or.

But that's the thing. At some point, if you're serious about combat, you're going to want to train up all the combat skills. Why not do it the fastest way by getting them together rather than spend more time getting them apart? And furthermore, all those training places which fetch so much exp usually yield bad drops, or drops nowhere near as decent to slayer. Even Armoured Zombies aren't nearly as good as most all tasks I can get from duradel. Sure, I'd get more exp an hour killing AZ's, but only more exp in one skill, not overall exp in multiple skills.

I mean, I guess you could say it depends on what you plan to do with all your skills in the future. If you want to max either combat or total level, then it would be stupid and nonsensical to train without slayer.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

Yes, but Slayer gives you more of a challenge to get to use them instead of every tom, [bleep], and harry being able to just waltz on in and start profitting. I could say the same thing about godwars. 70 agility to be able to kill the saradomin general? But Jagex, you could've just as easily released it WITHOUT the agility requirement!

No...it gives more of a challenge in training. Gives you something to work for instead of having things handed to you.

But agility has other uses than just to kill a single GWD boss. Slayer does not. Sure, it's nice that only those who work for it get the rewards, but when someone can kill something else that is, on average, more profitable AND better experience such as Avianses, Armored Zombies, and Green Dragons, and simply buy the slayer drops, than I think we have a problem. Furthermore, you could just give a DIFFERENT set of requirements from an already existing skill to get to the better monsters. Why not have some of them in a sealed room requiring high thieving? Or maybe you could have to have high prayer to survive against Abyssal Demons, seeing as they are demonic.

[hide=]

But agility has other uses than just to kill a single GWD boss. Slayer does not. Sure, it's nice that only those who work for it get the rewards, but when someone can kill something else that is, on average, more profitable AND better experience such as Avianses, Armored Zombies, and Green Dragons, and simply buy the slayer drops, than I think we have a problem. Furthermore, you could just give a DIFFERENT set of requirements from an already existing skill to get to the better monsters. Why not have some of them in a sealed room requiring high thieving? Or maybe you could have to have high prayer to survive against Abyssal Demons, seeing as they are demonic.
[/hide]

Because those are easily obtainable, and not really achievements at all, to be honest. Slayer is slow experience no matter how you train and that's what makes it hard to be able to kill things like Abyssal Demons and Dark Beasts.

Furthermore to my point, is that you have to remember that Slayer beats out those methods because if you're training summoning, training combat AND want cash, then Slayer's method is the fastest way to do all three of those at the same time, and in the long term you will always come out with more profit and more exp over a certain amount of time. To top this off you get the slayer exp which unlocks more killable monsters, WHILE you're training combat. Notice you can't train combat alongside thieving or agility. That's the difference.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

I think its a waste of time. Sure there are sometimes when i get a lucky streak and its really fun and all but then i get a few really bad/annoying tasks. If its diversity you want, you can do it without slayer. For example experiments, rock crabs and yaks give similar exp rates, flesh crawler and ankous are good money, armoured zombies are great exp and OK money, Pest Control is fun and is OK exp and Green Dragons are great money. Slayer sucks for exp, is OK for drops and is diverse but seriously there are 24 skills, if i get bored with one i can just train something else.

[hide=]

Duradel - 24 monsters

Sumona - 28

Chaeldar - 28

Vannaka - 34

Mazchna - 26

Turael - 21

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=slayer_guide.htm

[/hide]

When did I say you could train ranged, magic and melee at the same time? If I am just throwing this out there but I used slashes between them, not plus signs, which should indicate you have to get either or.

But that's the thing. At some point, if you're serious about combat, you're going to want to train up all the combat skills. Why not do it the fastest way by getting them together rather than spend more time getting them apart? And furthermore, all those training places which fetch so much exp usually yield bad drops, or drops nowhere near as decent to slayer. Even Armoured Zombies aren't nearly as good as most all tasks I can get from duradel. Sure, I'd get more exp an hour killing AZ's, but only more exp in one skill, not overall exp in multiple skills.

I mean, I guess you could say it depends on what you plan to do with all your skills in the future. If you want to max either combat or total level, then it would be stupid and nonsensical to train without slayer.

Whip on controlled - att, str, def and hp so there is 4 skills getting exp, so you can train a few skills together like that, that is why I said how can you train mage, range and melee at the same time. My bad.

I don't want to tell you the bleeding obvious but slayer isn't a combat skill. I think it should be over summoning but thats runescape for you.

perfetc_666.png

I don't want to tell you the bleeding obvious but slayer isn't a combat skill. I think it should be over summoning but thats runescape for you.

slayer isn't a combat skill because someone with 1 slayer and maxed melees has no disadvantage against someone with 99 slayer and maxed melees. someone with 1 summoning and maxed melees is at a disadvantage against someone with 99 summoning and maxed melees (assuming they're using familiars)

77yLQy8.png

Slayer is all about finding your enemys weakness so if you "figured out" how to kill a zombie or skeleton wouldn't that help you to figure out how to kill a person?

Slayer is all about combat, it gives exp directly from combat.

Summoning is all about helping other skills, I know combat is a skill but it doesn't revolve around it, I also know that you need to kill to get charms so it does link in to combat.

I understand what your saying though.

perfetc_666.png