Food.

nerdattack16

I like bean sprouts. They're basically shoots of the mung bean. =P~

Also, anything with beef in it, I'll eat. Rarely eat breakfast though, because my stomach cannot digest for crap, and I usually get the runs in school.

Sucks to hear. Maybe you're lactose intolerant and don't know it?

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I decided to find out how much it REALLY costs to make one ramekin of creme brulee, and to see how badly fancy restaurants are ripping people off.

The ingredients required to make creme brulee are:

Half a stick of vanilla

Two cups of heavy cream

Four Eggs

1/3 cup of sugar, plus the sugar you put over the top to burn it. To be generous I'll round it up to 1 cup of sugar (I like to add extra anyways!)

So I checked the prices of these items at a grocery store. Again, to be fair, I decided to go to the more expensive store in the area. Since the chefs will probably be buying high quality items anyways, they might be more expensive than the grocery kind.

Two sticks of vanilla cost $7.00

Four cups of cream cost $5.29

One dozen of eggs cost $2.69

Nine cups of sugar cost $3.19

That means, the ingredients used when making a batch of four equal...

Half a stick of vanilla - $1.75

Two cups of cream - $2.65

Four eggs - $0.90

One cup of sugar - $0.35

Total cost = $5.65

But wait! Those ingredients are for a set of four ramekins! So now we've got to divide everything by four to get the cost of one ramekin, what you pay for in a restaurant.

One ramekin = $1.41

But restaurants sometimes charge you up to $15! That's crazy!

Just goes to show it's better to make your own food. Creme brulee isn't that difficult either! smile.png

wl7w9j.png

What exactly is a stick of vanilla? I've only ever seen vanilla extract or ground vanilla beans.
http://blogs.thetimes.co.za/gatherer/fi ... anilla.jpg

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

What exactly is a stick of vanilla? I've only ever seen vanilla extract or ground vanilla beans.

In other words, a whole vanilla bean, basically?

Too bad my grocery store doesn't sell whole vanilla... :(

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

I never realized that chicken fried steak was made of beef, I always thought it was chicken -.- I recently found this out through man vs. food.

That's a good show. That episode is in Amarillo, and let me tell you: he didn't explore the best places AT ALL. The Coyote Bluff place? Nobody really eats there - for good burgers, you go to Blue Sky. Good chicken fried steak? Well, you probably can't beat the Stockyards, but there are plenty of places that serve it mighty fine. But the Big Texan is one of the greatest houses of meat on the planet. I think the host, Adam, described it as a Meat Mecca. He's totally right. Chicken, beef, they've served buffalo, fish... MAN I MISS AMARILLO.

The Big Texan looks like a great place for meat lovers, I've always wanted to try a steak from there. Have you eaten there before? Are they pretty good?

111-1.jpg

In other words, a whole vanilla bean, basically?

Too bad my grocery store doesn't sell whole vanilla... :(

yeah.. or the vanilla flower. Just read up on how vanilla is made on wiki ::'

I never realized that chicken fried steak was made of beef, I always thought it was chicken -.- I recently found this out through man vs. food.

That's a good show. That episode is in Amarillo, and let me tell you: he didn't explore the best places AT ALL. The Coyote Bluff place? Nobody really eats there - for good burgers, you go to Blue Sky. Good chicken fried steak? Well, you probably can't beat the Stockyards, but there are plenty of places that serve it mighty fine. But the Big Texan is one of the greatest houses of meat on the planet. I think the host, Adam, described it as a Meat Mecca. He's totally right. Chicken, beef, they've served buffalo, fish... MAN I MISS AMARILLO.

The Big Texan looks like a great place for meat lovers, I've always wanted to try a steak from there. Have you eaten there before? Are they pretty good?

I hear that it is excellent. And they serve 72 oz. steaks. If you eat the whole thing in an hour it's free.

EXCEPT THAT IS 4 1/2 POUNDS OF MEAT. That's like four giant porterhouses! :shock:

neraftdfw1.jpg

I hear that it is excellent. And they serve 72 oz. steaks. If you eat the whole thing in an hour it's free.

EXCEPT THAT IS 4 1/2 POUNDS OF MEAT. That's like four giant porterhouses! :shock:

I can eat that in under an hour. Do you have to eat that salad as well?

You have to eat the steak, a large baked potato (you don't know baked potatoes until you've had this one), a roll, a salad, and a shrimp cocktail. And there is no way you'd be able to eat that, at least in an hour. I still can't, and I've practiced all my life. I can handle a 36 oz steak alright, but it takes me at least an hour, and those baked potatoes are about 2 pounds. If you ever try, though, remember to go with the steak first. Use condiments, like A1 or something, so it goes down easier. Leave the starches for last.

I will do it before I turn 18, though.

Oh, and your video is fake, joy. That isn't the 72 oz steak challenge - at least not the Big Texan. They put you on a table at the front of the room, and he's just eating at some other table - you don't do that. You get cheered on, and there's a timer behind you. That isn't even the Big Texan they're eating at, I've been there dozens of times. The Lees (owners) talk to everybody that's eating, they'll sit down and talk about the food with you - and if you take the challenge, they'll stand behind you and cheer you on - and make sure you don't cheat. That guy isn't eating more than forty ounces of steak in that video.

As to Craiglowery, yes, I've eaten there a lot. I went to school with the owners' kids, and they're a really nice family. The food is amazing, too. Top-notch steak, because they get the cows that day from the Stockyards.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

On the topic of eating a [cabbage]load of meat, I suppose New England can't compete with the south when it comes to steak, but for burgers?

Try Eagle's Deli. Quoted from the website:

Start with our Best of Boston award winning Burgers that ranged from a kids size 1/4lb to our Challenge burger which is 5lbs of beef, 20 slices of cheese, 20 slices of bacon and of course whats a burger without fries, and our challenge burger comes with 5lbs of fries!

:thumbup: (No, I've never done it)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

On the topic of eating a [cabbage] of meat, I suppose New England can't compete with the south when it comes to steak, but for burgers?

Start with our Best of Boston award winning Burgers that ranged from a kids size 1/4lb to our Challenge burger which is 5lbs of beef, 20 slices of cheese, 20 slices of bacon and of course whats a burger without fries, and our challenge burger comes with 5lbs of fries!

dude... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2321/235 ... 8a1bd0.jpg

how many calories is that? :-#

You have to eat the steak, a large baked potato (you don't know baked potatoes until you've had this one), a roll, a salad, and a shrimp cocktail. And there is no way you'd be able to eat that, at least in an hour. I still can't, and I've practiced all my life. I can handle a 36 oz steak alright, but it takes me at least an hour, and those baked potatoes are about 2 pounds. If you ever try, though, remember to go with the steak first. Use condiments, like A1 or something, so it goes down easier. Leave the starches for last.

I will do it before I turn 18, though.

Oh, and your video is fake, joy. That isn't the 72 oz steak challenge - at least not the Big Texan. They put you on a table at the front of the room, and he's just eating at some other table - you don't do that. You get cheered on, and there's a timer behind you. That isn't even the Big Texan they're eating at, I've been there dozens of times. The Lees (owners) talk to everybody that's eating, they'll sit down and talk about the food with you - and if you take the challenge, they'll stand behind you and cheer you on - and make sure you don't cheat. That guy isn't eating more than forty ounces of steak in that video.

As to Craiglowery, yes, I've eaten there a lot. I went to school with the owners' kids, and they're a really nice family. The food is amazing, too. Top-notch steak, because they get the cows that day from the Stockyards.

Oh, no wonder he ate it so fast. Well I might be able to eat the steak in like 55 mins but there is no way I could the other stuff as well :?

Found a real video:

On the topic of eating a [cabbage] of meat, I suppose New England can't compete with the south when it comes to steak, but for burgers?

dude... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2321/235 ... 8a1bd0.jpg

how many calories is that? :-#

Probably a week's worth.

mbqyk3.gif

Saw that on Man vs Food. Looks delicious. But I couldn't eat it.

neraftdfw1.jpg

That honestly sounds horrible to me. A five pound burger, well, that's good. Five pounds of bacon? Awesome. Five pounds of cheese ... Ew. And five pounds of fries? That's like three pounds of solid salt. Eugh.

That honestly sounds horrible to me. A five pound burger, well, that's good. Five pounds of bacon? Awesome. Five pounds of cheese ... Ew. And five pounds of fries? That's like three pounds of solid salt. Eugh.

I guess but maybe for a one off it might be nice.

3476uxd.jpg

Thanks to littleboy for the signature.

Yeah, that's true. It'd be a really fun challenge, as long as you don't have to eat the fries. And I take back the cheese and bacon comments - it isn't a fifteen pound burger, haha. My bad.

Got a bag of these this morning, forgot how much I like them.

picture567.jpg

Don't even have a cough but I've been eating these all day. Mmmmm, menthol ::' .

I like drinking cold water at the same time, it makes my mouth a mentholly(this needs to be a word) oasis of chilliness in the midst of my sweltering, poorly circulated room.

picture567.jpg

Don't even have a cough but I've been eating these all day. Mmmmm, menthol ::' .

I like drinking cold water at the same time, it makes my mouth a mentholly(this needs to be a word) oasis of chilliness in the midst of my sweltering, poorly circulated room.

You do know those contain a phenylalanine source witch acts as a laxative? Eating a normal box of those in an hour is to mouch, can't even think what that mouch would do.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

My friend had a bag of those, they are [bleep]ing good. :lol:

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

picture567.jpg

You do know those contain a phenylalanine source witch acts as a laxative? Eating a normal box of those in an hour is to mouch, can't even think what that mouch would do.

You gotta keep it regular.

I looked it up and they contain a little under 1mg of phenylalanine per drop, and there are 26 drops in this bag.

I then looked up phenylalanine tablets, and the smallest ones I found on Google were 375mg. I doubt ~26mg of phenylalanine will do anything to me, anyways it's just an animo acid, nothing like some of the harsh active ingredients you would find in actual laxative supplements.

I've never had those but they do look tasty !

Anyway, best mints are Kool Mints [i think you can only get them in Australia ? I'm not too sure].

Anyway, not as minty as Minties and not as sweet as Mentos.

Best balance in between. Also they have the best of both worlds. Hard outer minty shell with a slightly sweet chewy inside.

I had a few today. Brang back memories. :thumbup: