Tip.It Times: 30 Aug 2009

n_odie

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humor is one of the hardest things to write, because you never know if it will translate in written form so that the reader "gets it", and like someone else said we all have a different sense of humor. If you are familiar with the original Skippy list and enjoy it, then you would definitely relate to this first article. I was actually surprised at how many enjoyed it, but I wouldn't expect nothing less from the author of the pet rock article. :lol: I definitely enjoyed the first one this week, and I hope Necro will continue to make us laugh in the future.

The second one definitely has its flaws in logic, but the underlying point is made very clear through the author's confession.

having not posted in quite a while, and having not played RS for about that same amount of time.. I finally read something worth responding to lol. (btw, i have read almost all the times for like... ever. lol)

So I remember the Pet rock article.. that was awesome. Skippy list, not so much.

But the second one I thought was very good. I never quite have had the same effect, as I have never had my grades fall from RS, and only had 3 dreams about losing my Dragon Chainbody in the week after I got it. (2 months of shark fishing. who wouldn't be freaked out? lol)

but really, I've seen friends fall into that category, good B or A students getting.. F's. Then they stop and they're back to normal again. weird how that happens.

As it is, I'm a senior now, hoping to be a Nation Merit Scholar Finalist.

and after reading the second one, Good Luck to all the recovering addicts! You don't necessarily have to quit, but 1-2 hours a day tops.. even on weekends! lol. that's what I did. :mrgreen:

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

goldenramoth.png

Skipping school to play a game for a limited amount of time is very bad in the long run, so therefore the player must realize it is not an option if they wish to continue playing. Now, if a player does not realize this because they are really into a game so much they cannot see anything else, that would be one of the few times a computer may start causing negative effects. I think that one must remember that though a computer could be a world in itself, it is still a world inside the "real world" and if the real world is eliminated then all other worlds within the real world (computers included of course) would also be eliminated. If some people are "sucked in" too much then perhaps they need a wake-up call like a power outage or computer failure (especially in the middle of a game, maybe causing a death) to show that there are still necessary requirements which need to be sustained to play. I could think of electricity as the energy source for a portal which opens the path to the gaming world, but that energy must be sustained through work in the real world to keep the portal open. I don't think I ever put any game above the "requirements" for the computer to work. I think that the point is to figure out what keeps the game going and sustaining that something. I might think differently from other people, but I do believe it would do many people good if they think things over more often. The computer/ game is never to be blamed. If more people think logically more often then we might be able to live on the moon or something after someone thinks of a very simple way to allow survival in space.

(To avoid being "sucked in" too much, perhaps try working for your computer and electricity, even if you do not have a "real" job. It might be good practice to do a few jobs and then play, in preparation for the real jobs which give real money which buys the electricity. Plan your own life) <--- just something I thought of.

(Note: math is a good subject)

(Another note: online contact is really not that bad, its good.)

I started reading the skippy list the first time and stopped after 5 lines. I didn't get it.

Then I read all those comments of people "laughing their [wagon] off" so I gave it another try. I made it to rule 13 before I got bored again. What am I missing?

Different people like different types of humor. Apparently, this isn't a type of humor that you like. I didn't think it was very funny either, except for a couple of them.

The game would affect my moods at times to the degree where I would be extremely upset at my parents if something went wrong, or I would be the polar opposite and be unexplainably happy. These characteristics go hand-in-hand with an addiction.

His opening sentence was to define addiction, including physiological symptoms. I believe that was the author's intent, to make a case for gaming addiction through his own story.

Ok, well call it what you may, you can be addicted to something and still not see physical symptoms. Just one's lifestyle and mental health can show it. Guess that's what I was saying is that it doesn't HAVE TO be physical to be an addiction. :thumbsup:

And good luck on National Merit Goldenramoth!! :mrgreen:

- Speedyshel

Website Updates and Corrections

c15800d76c.png

*..It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not..*

The pop-culture references in the first article were too blatant and really made it not funny for me at all.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

1. I might start saying some of those phrases now. But I must say the original skippy article was truly hilarious.

2. Hahahahaha, I've had sooo many Runescape dreams. I have them when I play Runescape like for a bunch of hours before I go to bed. They always involve someone dying and me getting their loot; like Barrows stuff and Dragon armour. I've even had these dreams after the gravestone update. But I'm not addicted to Runescape, during the summer I only play like once every few weeks. I used to put it first if I was playing it with friends over going to movies and such, but now I've moved to social stuff over Runescape. I fact I really only play Runescape on the weekends through the school year, and that's only when I don't have cross country and Track meets or homework. If anything I'm addicted to running, so I think I can play Runescape in my off time if I wish too.

03warrior.png

From now on, i will say " Beam me up, Scotty. There is no intelligent life here." everytime i teleport. :lol:

I usually stick with just "Scotty, beam me up" or "Energize".

No, seriously, I usually do.

If you jump into a river in Paris, you're insane. If you jump into a river in Egypt, you're in denial.

Sorry but... I loved it! :thumbsup:

Posted by Wugmaster Vincent Xxalius

final.gif

You have to take off everything except your gloves and boots. WTF JAGEX? :thumbdown:

Don't forget about the ring, you can keep that one to :)

And your necklace. :grin:

And quiver! This is fun :P!

Skipping school to play a game for a limited amount of time is very bad in the long run, so therefore the player must realize it is not an option if they wish to continue playing. Now, if a player does not realize this because they are really into a game so much they cannot see anything else, that would be one of the few times a computer may start causing negative effects. I think that one must remember that though a computer could be a world in itself, it is still a world inside the "real world" and if the real world is eliminated then all other worlds within the real world (computers included of course) would also be eliminated. If some people are "sucked in" too much then perhaps they need a wake-up call like a power outage or computer failure (especially in the middle of a game, maybe causing a death) to show that there are still necessary requirements which need to be sustained to play. I could think of electricity as the energy source for a portal which opens the path to the gaming world, but that energy must be sustained through work in the real world to keep the portal open. I don't think I ever put any game above the "requirements" for the computer to work. I think that the point is to figure out what keeps the game going and sustaining that something. I might think differently from other people, but I do believe it would do many people good if they think things over more often. The computer/ game is never to be blamed. If more people think logically more often then we might be able to live on the moon or something after someone thinks of a very simple way to allow survival in space.

(To avoid being "sucked in" too much, perhaps try working for your computer and electricity, even if you do not have a "real" job. It might be good practice to do a few jobs and then play, in preparation for the real jobs which give real money which buys the electricity. Plan your own life) <--- just something I thought of.

(Note: math is a good subject)

(Another note: online contact is really not that bad, its good.)

Very good post. I like that you seem to acknowledge that most people do NOT think like that. And that if they did we would have lunar colonies.

And tbh, I think a wake-up call about RS via power outage and death could help certain people a lot. Depends on the person.

Also, online contact isn't good. Or bad. It's just contact. It can be bad depending on who you talk to and what you say, the same with communication in the real world.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

First article had me laughing out loud several times. :thumbup:

The second one.... I think you were talking about me, except for the fact that I haven't quit.

I started in sixth grade, I played it ratehr than doing other things, I dreamt about it. I don't dream about it any more, luckily. But I play less now, too.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Well ive just read both articles for the first time. The skippy list was good but didn't make me laugh as much as people seem to, but i was a bit confused reading it, and i've never read the original.

The second article though is something i can definately relate to.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

After all the posts that have been made, whether agreeing, disagreeing, or something of that nature, I am extremely happy to see that the article I wrote has had an impact on some people. The criticism is good to hear, as it provides different view points to the game. One thing that I would caution everyone to is jumping to conclusions. Whether you feel that it is not an addiction "by scientific definition" or whether you think that the idea of being addicted to a game is crazy, you have to look at the perspectives of where others are coming from. I know that many people feel that they play simply for fun and have their playing time under control but on the flipside think of what you could or would be doing in your time away from the game. I'm not asking to quit by any means, simply suggesting that you take a step back and think a bit.

In closing I would like to say that I never quite thought that my article would be greeted so warmly and I would like to thank you all for that. If you respond to my post I don't know if I'll be able to get back to you because my life is currently extremely busy with 3 APs and soccer season in full force. Thanks a lot.

Getting another sig

[removed]

The guy who wrote beating addiction sounds like a newb.

^ loled irl :lol:

I didn't.

I did.

There's some sort of word for this situation, which I don't remember. The article is about addiction, and 3hitm4g3u made a comment pretending to act like one of these addicted people, on purpose, to be funny. Rather than take note of any information the article said, he made this post to be funny by calling the writer a newb.

Anyone who has ever played rs for a good amount of time will had gone through with the addiction. i Have as well. Anyways that whole list has made my day cuz it was pretty funny, but it can never beat the original! :P

Coolman1053.png

Would you kindly give me your phat? (if you know this phrase, good job! if not... well....*stab*)

Article 2:

That's me :shock: . My grades never dropped, but my eyesight started to get worse. Eventually quit when parent's card got declined :D . It feels so good to be "clean", as you put it.

207pd9y.jpgHubs55.png

~Fire cape achieved at combat lvl 80~

BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~BLOG~blog~