Player count

orgin

I wonder what's the highest amount of players which has been logged on at any given time in the history of RuneScape. :-k

[ PLAYERS ]: There are currently 85,739 players online on 162 servers 529/server, 26.46% capacity. The online record is 251,027 set on Dec 9 2007.

Funny how the date was one day before the day we all know.

What is more funny is that this is also the day that Tip.it was still celebrating its first ever victory in the Multi Site Steel Wars, which was pretty much the start of the path to being the dominant website again...

On topic;

Interesting to see indeed, I'm asuming you can zoom in on the graph to see it hour to hour, as well as zoom out to see it all on a monthly scale? If this is the case, some of the guys at the editorial panel might have a few requests in the future for you :)

Keep up the good work, and if you need a host, let me know :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

On topic;

Interesting to see indeed, I'm asuming you can zoom in on the graph to see it hour to hour, as well as zoom out to see it all on a monthly scale? If this is the case, some of the guys at the editorial panel might have a few requests in the future for you :)

Keep up the good work, and if you need a host, let me know :)

As mil already posted, this is old news. My graphs have data at 15 minute intervals going back to May 2007 in the database (though you can't view it atm because of the 1 year limit on the graphs that I never bothered expanding).

Wow is that all? I remember 180k people at one stage in my rs career. *dreams back*

Autos accounted for a lot of them.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

I wonder what's the highest amount of players which has been logged on at any given time in the history of RuneScape. :-k

Jagex mentioned it once, I think it was around 260k.

EDIT: nvm, Bauke beat me and he's more accurate.

Best Rubik's cube time solve: 27.81 seconds.

Completed Facebook Tetris Marathon (670k score)

2000+ total with 5 99's, fletching, cooking, attack, thieving and firemaking

Cool. Be interesting to see the numbers go up on weekends - especially now that school has started for pretty much everyone.

even though its gonna end for some people in 2 weeks, so its going to be interesting to see how much it goes up then

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Funny how the trend line is positive. Never would have expected that.

That's probably just due to the number of people playing during the summer months. Can't really see the trend until the whole year is sampled.

Eh? That *is* a whole year sampled. There is an increase during the summer months, but the graph tells us that the player count has been rising the whole year, on average.

That's probably just due to the number of people playing during the summer months. Can't really see the trend until the whole year is sampled.

Eh? That *is* a whole year sampled. There is an increase during the summer months, but the graph tells us that the player count has been rising the whole year, on average.

My point is that the summer month are placed towards the end of the graph. If you took a snapshot where those months are in the middle or in the beginning you would get another result.

The only way to get a useful result is to compare two full years due to the natural variations during a single year.

My point is that the summer month are placed towards the end of the graph. If you took a snapshot where those months are in the middle or in the beginning you would get another result.

The only way to get a useful result is to compare two full years due to the natural variations during a single year.

Sorry what? Firstly you say that isn't a full year and you need a year's results to test the increase. Now your claiming you need 2 years?

Sorry but what about the natural variations of next year? :wall:

Sorry what? Firstly you say that isn't a full year and you need a year's results to test the increase. Now your claiming you need 2 years?

It's a full year, but since the summer months (northern hemisphere) ends up towards the end of the graph it will tilt the trend curve upwards.

Natural variations, September to April have a relatively coherent number of player variations, May through August has a [bleep]e due to summer breaks on the northern hemisphere.

In the example posted the summer [bleep]e is put at the end of the graph, which naturally tilts the trend curve upwards.

Take a snapshot from May to April and it will tilt the result downwards.

What I meant in the first post was that placing the graph from January to December would put it (the summer [bleep]e) in the middle and have less effect on the trend outcome.

To get a more reliable result you would have to compare two years however (my second post) since the data from within a single year varies too much (particularly the summer [bleep]e) to make any solid conclusions from it.

You could also compare it month by month (ie jan 2008 to Jan 2009) or even week by week (w1 2008 to w1 2009, though weeks would probably be less reliable).

The graph only shows that more players are playing the game due to summer breaks, but it does not show you the overall trend or whether less/more players are playing due to updates.

Compare it to weather, sure you can see that the weather is getting warmer as winter ends. But you can't see if the climate as a whole is changing by just looking at a randomly positioned one year data set.

[hide=]

It's a full year, but since the summer months (northern hemisphere) ends up towards the end of the graph it will tilt the trend curve upwards.

Natural variations, September to April have a relatively coherent number of player variations, May through August has a [bleep]e due to summer breaks on the northern hemisphere.

In the example posted the summer [bleep]e is put at the end of the graph, which naturally tilts the trend curve upwards.

Take a snapshot from May to April and it will tilt the result downwards.

What I meant in the first post was that placing the graph from January to December would put it (the summer [bleep]e) in the middle and have less effect on the trend outcome.

To get a more reliable result you would have to compare two years however (my second post) since the data from within a single year varies too much (particularly the summer [bleep]e) to make any solid conclusions from it.

You could also compare it month by month (ie jan 2008 to Jan 2009) or even week by week (w1 2008 to w1 2009, though weeks would probably be less reliable).

The graph only shows that more players are playing the game due to summer breaks, but it does not show you the overall trend or whether less/more players are playing due to updates.

Compare it to weather, sure you can see that the weather is getting warmer as winter ends. But you can't see if the climate as a whole is changing by just looking at a randomly positioned one year data set.

[/hide]

U r lyk smrt an' use big words. :P Good explanation though.

OT: Hmm that is a cool idea. Interesting to see how Summer was one big block lol. Yup now weekends are going to be packed.

Big_Stingman.png

Sure it would be helpful, but you could just stretch your mind slightly and try to think about it as a continuous graph, I'll be back in 5 minutes, I'll crop it to look right.

EDIT: here you go, cropping at it's very finest: (starts in June :oops: )

quiteepiccroppingtbh.png

P.S There is infact a point in the year where the playing population drops by a few 1000 in 1 day >_>