Tip.it Times 11 October 2009

Mirror

Tip.it Times is here!

Take a look here: Tip.it Times

You may discuss the articles here, but please specify which article you are discussing.

Also PM me for any spelling or grammar mistakes. Thanks!

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "Did You Know" was pretty interesting, should help me out. Articles were pretty good too.

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

In response to the first article:

Free trade needs to come back. PvP drops need to be what the other player is wearing. I don't care if JaGEx has to make "RuneScape:Asia" or require PayPal or Wallie cards to prevent credit card fraud. Player interaction needs to come back, sooner than later.

"Wah RWT!" - Here's an idea: create a "subscription auctionhouse." Players can buy "subscription credits" from JaGEx just like they pay for subscription now. Once the payment is authorized, the player gets credits which he/she can sell in the auctionhouse for RuneScape coins.

'These glass-eating people (as some forumers call them)'

:)

I wasn't a big fan of the first article, mainly because i've heard most of it before (Except the history parts)

The second was good, although i think it was a bit too brief with the overviews of each area.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Microchasm...? Did you mean microcosm?

The first half of the article (and a bit later on) sounds a bit like the six degrees of separation, which I find fascinating :P. I found the second article a good read, although it was slightly bitty, and I hope that some of the ideas expressed in it will be explored in more detail in further issues.

<insert awesome signature here>

P'hats aren't tradeable, that's why they're so expensive.

I wish there were a prayer that recharged prayer points.

Feathery_one.png

In response to the first article:

Free trade needs to come back. PvP drops need to be what the other player is wearing. I don't care if JaGEx has to make "RuneScape:Asia" or require PayPal or Wallie cards to prevent credit card fraud. Player interaction needs to come back, sooner than later.

"Wah RWT!" - Here's an idea: create a "subscription auctionhouse." Players can buy "subscription credits" from JaGEx just like they pay for subscription now. Once the payment is authorized, the player gets credits which he/she can sell in the auctionhouse for RuneScape coins.

When you have over a million people using this authorization thing, how do you make a system to ensure that autoers can't 100% get through? You can't. And even if they stopped autoers from being members, they could easily go back to yews, and regular ess now that it has semi-decent prices, and transfer through trading or pk'ing.

Here's something to think about: it's very easy to find flaws in a system. It's very difficult to find solutions to said problems. And by solutions I mean ones that don't get shredded apart in 9.1 seconds. Instead of saying "do this, figure out how to make it work" why don't you figure out how to make it work instead.

How do you make a pvp system that drops whatever the person is wearing while making a system that prevents abusers from getting a drop of whatever the person is wearing? I think the simplest answer is you can't. You can't bring back free trade and getting a 100% pvp drop of what the person is wearing without opening the doors to real world trading.

Also, it would be more constructive figuring out ways to fix the ge so it works more like free trade, such as some sort of auction system for new items, increasing the trade cap based on the items price (so that rares and other such expensive items have a larger price change range so that the GE can more accurately change) have the GE change based on the number of items sold compared to the number of said items in the game....Something that Jagex actually has a chance of doing.

I must also add that although it might've taken these governments over a decade to admit they are wrong, that doesn't mean that's the way it should be. And something pro-active to do can actually BE posting on forums, providing you actually come up with intelligent ideas that are not against Jagex (un)official policy (like bringing back free trade and old wilderness) and being open to constructive criticism.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

not to flame.. but do the authors actually proof read their articles before they submit them? It seems like every tipit times has a typo here and there, or redundant sentences. "everyone's view on what is enough intervention and what isn't varies for everyone"

Also the bit about the British ruling system and comparing it to Jagex didn't make a lick of sense to me. :huh:

tablw5.png

Kill corporate radio. http://www.killradio.org

First one was kinda meh, you either had to pk or have large amounts of money to be able "to do" anything about 76k/Merch clans, but I do appreciate the effort. The second one was amazing, especially since right now I am reading this article from the NYTimes about social networking and how people can truly affect the way others act. I found it sad that he left out the Help & Advice section, as that is the place where I post the most :sad: .

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

out of many jade vines i slayed, i never ever got poisoned before i got hitted... :mellow:

loved the first one, but the British historical thing wasn't the perfect example, and posting in forums as long as you have a good idea is a good thing to do - heck even if you don't play the game nowadays, everyone who thinks about it can help.

the second one have good opening but later basically just describes what's going on in the forums...something like interdiction? i think there was similar tip.it times few months ago explaining it in almost same way...but meh.

want_a_box.png

Re: First article

"In the end it's going to take a mass player action to bring to light the flaws in the game. Jagex has just alienated it’s users and won't do anything with it until it starts to be a cause for RWT or the game is in jeopardy."

The problem isn't bringing flaws to light. It's not like Jagex hasn't noticed the price-manipulation clans or the EP-farming techniques. They know what's going on; they just haven't made these things go away yet. So how can we force Jagex to realise that these are top-priority issues that must be addressed NOW?

Well, are they?

Look back a few years. Varrock on a f2p world would have people shouting "free trimming" and "Jagex blocks your pass look *****" almost 24/7. People did the "drop your items and press ALT+F4" trick too, or they'd lure victims into the wildy to trade or pick up a pile of coins. These were hugely destructive problems too; they ruined the gameplay experience for many people. Even though we can comfortably call those victims guillible fools because we're smart enough not to fall for the tricks, that doesn't make it okay that the problems existed.

All those tricks - some of which are still tried - are arguably as important as the price-manipulation tricks and other unfair game mechanics that we see today. Over years, Jagex made changes that helped reduce some of the problems, such as installing the Ditch of Stupidity and adding warning messages to dark caves. The thing is, RuneScape didn't curl up and die just because those problems went unaddressed for so long. Nor will it die due to the present-day problems that people are getting so frantic to see resolved.

I think we are, indeed, taking the wrong approach. We're seeing a problem and demanding a quick resolution. Quick resolutions seldom work in RuneScape; look at the original RWT updates where we got Bounty Hunter & Clan Wars to replace the entire PVP system, with fundamentally flawed gravestones that couldn't work over logout. I don't want to see Jagex pressured into doing more wide-reaching updates in a hurry. The game is so big now that anything they do will have a negative effect on something that wasn't considered; that, in turn, will become the new Big Deal that generates demands for a speedy resolution.

Bleak, much? Fortunately there's plenty of fun stuff to do in RS still.

out of many jade vines i slayed, i never ever got poisoned before i got hitted... :mellow:

loved the first one, but the British historical thing wasn't the perfect example, and posting in forums as long as you have a good idea is a good thing to do - heck even if you don't play the game nowadays, everyone who thinks about it can help.

the second one have good opening but later basically just describes what's going on in the forums...something like interdiction? i think there was similar tip.it times few months ago explaining it in almost same way...but meh.

Yeah, I remember that Times, but I can't find it on the list.

Prism_Swords.png

To the first article:

I would have gone with a better analogy than what you had, namely the anti-RWT updates in December of 2007, since that was a clear case of the players demanding action, and it wound up backfiring in their eyes.

Overall, I must disagree with the premise. The typical RS player, when confronted with a problem that only Jagex can [properly] resolve, demands action and demands it thirty days ago. Naturally, we offer suggestions and ideas that we think are going to help with the situation, but we don't know how feasible they could have been, or even if they would have fixed the problem at all.

Getting Jagex's attention isn't as hard as you think, and going about it in a temper-tantrum way is not a good idea at all. Talking about this issue in a civil tone would probably be best, most likely on the forums. Why would anyone think that Jagex has turned their back on the community? Is it because that the fix didn't come in last month? Being patient would be better than being impatient about the whole scenario.

The whole issue with "trickers" and manipulation clans is an awkward but delicate balance. If we fix one thing, then the consequences of such are going to be far reaching. The question then doesn't become if we want Jagex to take action, but if we can live with the actions that Jagex decided to take. The amount of outcry against such actions should be desire enough for even the most stringent of Jagex critics, but it could very well be that the outcry against such actions has them playing Russian Roulette.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

What, seriously? Whining does work. I mean, look what happened to extreme potions.

In order to increase the chances of a successful whine, you have to be both extremely irritating in tandem, and more importantly, play into the flawed logic of their attitude, which means it's easier to make quick untested fixes to new features and then ignoring the situation entirely after that rather than to not do anything at all and look like you didn't try, or to actually look at it again within the next month or so and fix it properly.

Heck, if they did the footwork and looked at the problem more critically, then made the changes with the additional foresight of actually including some concrete information rather than vague excuses about things being unbalanced and people being discouraged from PKing because of the theoretical possibility of a handful of people have both combat and herblore trained could be out there menacing the whole PK populace with their mighty seven additional levels of strength, while the other PKers are incapable of raising their own herblore levels or affording to do so because they only have their measly d claws or godswords and can't possibly pony up the money for herblore training.

But moving back to the topic, I see that you have brought up one of my most favored but also most difficult plans to change things by uniting the people against wrongdoing to combat the ones who have united in order to perpetrate it. This will not likely happen until some unforgivable transgression has occurred, and by then it will be too late to actually fix the problem without a sustained, unpopularly long term effort.

Why, the only way to accomplish this in a meaningful fashion is to find somebody (or a group) with such experience and fame that not many could question them, and then stage some sort of fake incident in which to strike zealotry into the hearts of those around this beacon of light, in that which the same effect has been achieved without damaging the cause beforehand.

8f14270694.jpg

To the first article:

I would have gone with a better analogy than what you had, namely the anti-RWT updates in December of 2007, since that was a clear case of the players demanding action, and it wound up backfiring in their eyes.

Overall, I must disagree with the premise. The typical RS player, when confronted with a problem that only Jagex can [properly] resolve, demands action and demands it thirty days ago. Naturally, we offer suggestions and ideas that we think are going to help with the situation, but we don't know how feasible they could have been, or even if they would have fixed the problem at all.

Getting Jagex's attention isn't as hard as you think, and going about it in a temper-tantrum way is not a good idea at all. Talking about this issue in a civil tone would probably be best, most likely on the forums. Why would anyone think that Jagex has turned their back on the community? Is it because that the fix didn't come in last month? Being patient would be better than being impatient about the whole scenario.

The whole issue with "trickers" and manipulation clans is an awkward but delicate balance. If we fix one thing, then the consequences of such are going to be far reaching. The question then doesn't become if we want Jagex to take action, but if we can live with the actions that Jagex decided to take. The amount of outcry against such actions should be desire enough for even the most stringent of Jagex critics, but it could very well be that the outcry against such actions has them playing Russian Roulette.

It's not so much gaining their attention as telling them what the majority actually think. Jagex is well aware of almost everything and has given a response about certain things. However, their view is skewed because the people who are like eh someone else will complain and don't post on the forums and support the anti-[insert topic] aren't helping the cause. If Jagex sees an anti-tricker thread with 10 supports along with 100 people saying "omg no i luv tricking i r gain muny" they aren't going to think that the majority dislike it. So play action is needed to say hey wait a minute more people actually are concerned about these topics than you may think. That is what I was trying to emphasize, but it seems I may have missed my mark there.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Heh.

I demand more Jagex player polls.

The majority of Free/Members polls only average 110K voters. Out of the however many millions of accounts Jagex says log on weekly that just isn't enough to make an honest assumption about the attitude of the players.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Well, if they don't vote or bother to pop into the website to vote, it's not like they can fault anybody else when something happens because of it and they don't like it.

Unless, of course, Jagex gets it wrong somehow. #-o

The alternative would be to start forcing players to give their opinion in order to log in, but that's not going to go over well.

8f14270694.jpg