Tip.it Times 11 October 2009

Mirror

Well, if they don't vote or bother to pop into the website to vote, it's not like they can fault anybody else when something happens because of it and they don't like it.

Unless, of course, Jagex gets it wrong somehow. #-o

The alternative would be to start forcing players to give their opinion in order to log in, but that's not going to go over well.

Forcing players to do anything, even if it's an opinion, is never a good idea. The problem is the polls aren't really advertised that well, heck the Machinima contest poll only got 95K votes and it was plastered all over the website. They need to find a way to get players more involved in polls and/or giving their opinion to actually make the correct decision. When it's going bad people will say so if not no one will say a word.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if they don't vote or bother to pop into the website to vote, it's not like they can fault anybody else when something happens because of it and they don't like it.

Unless, of course, Jagex gets it wrong somehow. #-o

The alternative would be to start forcing players to give their opinion in order to log in, but that's not going to go over well.

Forcing players to do anything, even if it's an opinion, is never a good idea. The problem is the polls aren't really advertised that well, heck the Machinima contest poll only got 95K votes and it was plastered all over the website. They need to find a way to get players more involved in polls and/or giving their opinion to actually make the correct decision. When it's going bad people will say so if not no one will say a word.

The poll system needs more attention from Jagex anyway. If you notice the last poll is from exactly 1 month ago today.

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Well, I could wish for the holding of at least one official lively but tedious public debate about any issue BEFORE they start making any changes, but that would be about as effective or feasible as wishing that a mystic MMG would appear in my living room, and then after his appearance, hopping on his back and majestically taking flight to the night sky as one-horned winged Gerhard lets off a magnificent whinny that echoes distantly in the mountains.

EDIT: Are you guys going to continue staring at this post or is somebody going to say something?

8f14270694.jpg

Well, I could wish for the holding of at least one official lively but tedious public debate about any issue BEFORE they start making any changes, but that would be about as effective or feasible as wishing that a mystic MMG would appear in my living room, and then after his appearance, hopping on his back and majestically taking flight to the night sky as one-horned winged Gerhard lets off a magnificent whinny that echoes distantly in the mountains.

EDIT: Are you guys going to continue staring at this post or is somebody going to say something?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Sorry. That made me laugh quite a bit IRL.

Anyways, I could mention a billion things wrong with everything if I tried, but the hard part isn't finding problems; it's finding solutions. And there is no solution to getting a real voice for the people; it's the angry people that talk a lot and post a lot on forums. People who are happy-ish with the way things are tend to not say ANYTHING. Also remember that a quick fix will not work. And um.....SPAM!@

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

That was a brilliant article about Jagex not listening, (and other stuff). I used to moan about merch clans and stuff now im too lazy to moan, i just skill, felt like posting to this since my friend wrote it, but dont know what to type, so here it is.

~ashcon4~

Oh dear oh dear.

The Microcosms one didn't go anywhere. Yes people interact in different groups. Yes, we know.

As for 'Approach', the author comes across as bitter that other people don't feel as angry about it as they do.

And they want to revert from the flawed but workable GE to drowning in macroers once more? Well each to their own but I love the versatility of the GE, and can put up with its flaws. No I've never liked merchanting, but I'll take them over the bots any day.

RS1600.png

Heh.

I demand more Jagex player polls.

The majority of Free/Members polls only average 110K voters. Out of the however many millions of accounts Jagex says log on weekly that just isn't enough to make an honest assumption about the attitude of the players.

Wrong. Statistically, 110k votes is more than a large enough sample size to get a proper view of the entire base. Polls that you hear about on TV usually sample 1,000-3,000 people and their margin of error is almost always less than 5%. With 110k votes, the margin of error would be well under 1%. I think there needs to be much more inclusion of player polls.

Don't they have the player mods and high level players giving feedback about how the game needs improvement? What I want to know is how involved these players are in future updates. They need to be consulted on such things like making extreme potions untradeable and unavailable in pvp. Yeah, they might get 'insider information' and use it to make money, but the easy solution to that is they can only participate in these discussions if they agree to temporary GE freezes for their character.

mr__gandalf.png

The first article was pretty bad, it doesn't appear that much thought was put into and reads like a bad high school freshman English paper. Suggestions were pretty bad too.

The second article was decent, I don't have anything good or bad to say about it.

NotoriousPSC.png

"I am interested in anything about revolt, disorder, chaos-especially activity that seems to have no meaning"- Jim Morrison

sorry to say: but I found the articles quite boring, and unusefull. - is there really happening so little in runescape that the articles are about those generic subjects?

All that social stuff I think is way over exaggerated in reality (An huge proportion from our tax goes to people who just try to draw conclusion about societies.), so please don't take it to runescape too :(.

The first article I found a bit like an unshamefull advertisement to spread lies.

I would like to see some more in-depth articles about runescape & (even better) jagex: what do the new updates have of possible influence, what's jagex' opinion. - What new ground-breaking game experience isn't truly discovered. - How did jagex completely miss the point (or hit the nail on it's head)? - THese articles could apply to any mmorpg - they aren't really about runescape!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I think the first article is very well written. It has a good balance between objectionable thinking and criticism. Dealing with the psychology of a player seems more interesting to me than going on with yet another essay on how Jagex can solve the problem.

The second article instead left me saying, "So what?" (which is a big red flag according ot my English teacher when writing an essay). There are dozens of microcosms in any given social gathering, real or internet. The article gave almost the same feeling as "In many ways, X is different from Y, but in other ways they are the same" which can be said about ANY two items in the known universe (well, I won't stake my life on it, but virtually any). The observation of microcosms was there. But there was nothing to really infer from such things at least as far as the article went. I believe the paragraphs about the forums was too generalized and rushed. If the author and spent more time detailing maybe only 4 distinct microcosms instead of 8 or so and then said something along the lines of "and this is how it relates to the big picture" whether that big picture be the community as a whole in tip.it, the whole runescape community, or even comparing the microcosms to maybe other microcosms of completely different games. Not necessarily rival games, but some sort of insight to other microcosm that is foreign to us in order to put some relevance in the statement.

TL;DR version:

First one was insightful because it had a facet of redirecting possible blame or responsibility onto us.

Second one was boring because there was no compare/contrast within the article to make the thesis really...catching.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

As it relates to the first article, in my opinion the reason for not admitting mistakes is not because it takes a long time as it is put forth in the article, but I believe with Jagex it's a pride issue and they don't like to admit they have made mistakes, handles something poorly, midjudged the issue, and so forth.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I'm really disappointed in this week's articles. The first one is so riddled with glaring grammatical errors as to be nearly unreadable, and the second one doesn't seem to have any purpose...

Look:

Over the past few months most of us have been crying for Jagex to do something with trickers and price manipulating clans.

Right there in the first sentence we have a missing comma. That's a bad first impression.

Nonetheless we will also whine when Jagex does something such as deliberately changing the price of an item in order to counter some negative effect.

And again in the second sentence: more syntax errors.

So what is it? Do you want Jagex to intervene or not? There really isn't a middle ground on this subject because everyone's view on what is enough intervention and what isn't varies for everyone.

And top it off with redundancy.

So are we really taking the right approach by sitting down and typing out long complaints with the same overall purpose of intervention? Or should we actually take a proactive approach towards the issue?

And here we have poor diction. This is full of what my English teacher calls "B.O." (Blatantly Obvious.) "Really," "overall," and "actually" are meaningless and serve no purpose here except to waste the reader's time.

I could go on about all the stylistic errors, but that's the reason it reads like a drool-inducing wall of text: it doesn't read cleanly because of all the mistakes. Sometimes you can shrug it off and say, "Well, you understood what I meant." But pervasive errors like this are a significant impediment to comprehension.

As for the content:

One thing we can do is get off our grinding butts and do something about it? But oh no we can't waste that two hours to go and be active in a cause or something we believe in. For those of you who do take a proactive approach on those types of things you might be wondering what you can do. Well if you dislike the 76kers you can always go and harass EPers and heck you might even kill a few for some good drops. Of course to avoid boredom you can get a group of friends together and make it a team effort to harass them in various parts of the wild; with cheap gear of course. There is something proactive you can do for almost any "bad" aspect of the game. Hate skiller killers? Get a group with the same ambition together and let a few people skill while you sit there and protect them, while switching out from skilling to protecting from time to time. Well some of you loathe and I mean loathe price manipulators and are wondering what you can do to help the situation. You could always skill in the GE and type out stuff like "Don't use [insert cc name] they are only out to scam you and take your money"...Of course you should type this periodically and be sure not to spam or autotype as you would just be stooping to their level. If you are a wealthier player with connections you could always go into some of the newer price manipulation clans, buy their item, and then dump for the same price the next day while causing them to massively fail and lose support. This option is however a bit more aggressive and does hurt a few naive players in the process but, you can't do everything to good way 100% of the time and this method really drives the point home.

None of these do anything to address the problem in the slightest. They have about the same effect as ignoring it and waiting for it to go away, except that you have to waste your time standing in the GE typing "flash3:wave2:Bobthemercher clan is a scam! Don't join!"

PKers aren't going to stop PKing because you kill one person once. Merch clans aren't going to stop merching because you warn people about them for five minutes.

Some of you are thinking...well this really isn't worth my valuable time while playing Runescape and for some of you it's not because you don't play as much as some do. However for those of you who are too lazy to do this, no matter how hard you rant about these problems you really aren't that into the cause even though you claim you are.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And I would thank you not to accuse me of laziness and of making false claims because I don't waste my time bailing a sailboat with a thimble.

(Textbook example of why you shouldn't use the second person in formal writing. It's rude to address the reader directly and say "You don't care about Runescape." That's what this passage is doing. As a rule of thumb, use first person plural, "we," instead of second person, "you.")

In the end it's going to take a mass player action to bring to light the flaws in the game. Jagex has just alienated its users and won't do anything with it until it starts to be a cause for RWT or the game is in jeopardy. I know some of you are thinking "OH MY GOD! Another god [Hover] article about price manipulation and trickers!", well it's not. I simply used these as examples because they are in fact the best examples to emphasize my point. So is the right thing making rants which Jagex claims they read and in fact encourages? Or have we been doing it all wrong and is making something like a riot the only way to grab Jagexs' attention to the issue? Drastic measures are not needed to address the majority of the issues in Runescape, however for some that Jagex has already made a response to it might be needed to shift their point. All in all, are we taking the right approach?

We have no direct ability to make large-scale changes to the game. Jagex does. If we want to effect change, we petition Jagex to make a change. Otherwise, we live with it. Period.

From an grade 12 english essay point of view you are correct; however, this is not a grade 12 english essay. And I did not see your logic in the first two errors. A comma could be put in but, to me, it is not needed. I agree with the rest of your post, that there is very little point for an individual player to try and solve these problems because there is nothing that can be done about it.

Especially tricking....you can't blame people for using a system that Jagex made; the problem is the system not the people.

To the first article:

I would have gone with a better analogy than what you had, namely the anti-RWT updates in December of 2007, since that was a clear case of the players demanding action, and it wound up backfiring in their eyes.

Overall, I must disagree with the premise. The typical RS player, when confronted with a problem that only Jagex can [properly] resolve, demands action and demands it thirty days ago. Naturally, we offer suggestions and ideas that we think are going to help with the situation, but we don't know how feasible they could have been, or even if they would have fixed the problem at all.

Getting Jagex's attention isn't as hard as you think, and going about it in a temper-tantrum way is not a good idea at all. Talking about this issue in a civil tone would probably be best, most likely on the forums. Why would anyone think that Jagex has turned their back on the community? Is it because that the fix didn't come in last month? Being patient would be better than being impatient about the whole scenario.

The whole issue with "trickers" and manipulation clans is an awkward but delicate balance. If we fix one thing, then the consequences of such are going to be far reaching. The question then doesn't become if we want Jagex to take action, but if we can live with the actions that Jagex decided to take. The amount of outcry against such actions should be desire enough for even the most stringent of Jagex critics, but it could very well be that the outcry against such actions has them playing Russian Roulette.

I like your post, except for the first part. The RWT updates are, I'm pretty sure, a case of giant credit card companies demanding action, and giving them a deadline, the deadline being the end of 2007.

As it relates to the first article, in my opinion the reason for not admitting mistakes is not because it takes a long time as it is put forth in the article, but I believe with Jagex it's a price issue and they don't like to admit they have made mistakes, handles something poorly, midjudged the issue, and so forth.

That most likely applies to every single organization on Earth. One could probably find literally millions of examples of this in the world if you looked hard enough. As a whole, humans have trouble admitting they are wrong.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

In response to the first article:

Free trade needs to come back. PvP drops need to be what the other player is wearing. I don't care if JaGEx has to make "RuneScape:Asia" or require PayPal or Wallie cards to prevent credit card fraud. Player interaction needs to come back, sooner than later.

"Wah RWT!" - Here's an idea: create a "subscription auctionhouse." Players can buy "subscription credits" from JaGEx just like they pay for subscription now. Once the payment is authorized, the player gets credits which he/she can sell in the auctionhouse for RuneScape coins.

When you have over a million people using this authorization thing, how do you make a system to ensure that autoers can't 100% get through? You can't. And even if they stopped autoers from being members, they could easily go back to yews, and regular ess now that it has semi-decent prices, and transfer through trading or pk'ing.

Here's something to think about: it's very easy to find flaws in a system. It's very difficult to find solutions to said problems. And by solutions I mean ones that don't get shredded apart in 9.1 seconds. Instead of saying "do this, figure out how to make it work" why don't you figure out how to make it work instead.

How do you make a pvp system that drops whatever the person is wearing while making a system that prevents abusers from getting a drop of whatever the person is wearing? I think the simplest answer is you can't. You can't bring back free trade and getting a 100% pvp drop of what the person is wearing without opening the doors to real world trading.

Lrn2read my entire post.

I gave a solution to RWT - allowing players to trade coins for subscription credits.

hmm....i don't think the did you know is correct..it has happened to me a lot of times, I dds spec a creature (which is on full hp, and i haven't hit 0s on it before) the spec hits and the poison does damage on the 1st hit so the hit is like 26-33-6 :unsure: going to read the articles.. phew they stopped the fictional articles never used to read them anyway lol :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Opeious.pngopei.png

Barrows Drops:....................................................Dragon Drops:...............Other Drops:

Dharok: 2 Helms, 1 Top, 2 Legs, 4 Axes.......................2 Claws Split..................1 Bandos Tassets

Karil: 1 Coif, 1 Top, 2 Skirt, 2 Crossbows......................3 Plate legs...................4 Berserker Rings

Ahrim: 3 Hood, 2 Top, 3 Skirt, 1 Staff..........................2 Plate Skirts.................2 Warrior Rings

Verac: 1 Helm, 3 Tops, 2 Skirts, 1 Flail..........................1 Med........................1 Archer Ring

Guthan: 2 Helm, 5 Tops, 1 Skirt, 0 Spear.....................1 Shield Half.................1 Seers Ring

Torag: 2 Helms, 2 Tops, 5 Legs, 1 Hammer....................4 Hatchets..................1 Missed Divine Sigil (was at bank -,- fml)

I really liked the second one, I felt it missed a bit with the fact that the people who hang out in the Gallery often do not play RS anymore, and a fair number of those involved in Varrock don't either. I also thought that it could have mentioned the rest of the 'General Disscussions' forum, as while OTers make up the largest number of the users in that forum, the Tech/Gallery/Varrock/Falador forums have a largish number of users who also don't often use the RS forums or OT.

First article was long and involved government, which the relations of which were probably wrong. I skimmed it, didn't think anything involving government could be good for me at the moment.

I NEED A FICTIONAL ARTICLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :pray:

Heh.

The majority of Free/Members polls only average 110K voters. Out of the however many millions of accounts Jagex says log on weekly that just isn't enough to make an honest assumption about the attitude of the players.

Wrong. Statistically, 110k votes is more than a large enough sample size to get a proper view of the entire base. Polls that you hear about on TV usually sample 1,000-3,000 people and their margin of error is almost always less than 5%. With 110k votes, the margin of error would be well under 1%. I think there needs to be much more inclusion of player polls.

Don't they have the player mods and high level players giving feedback about how the game needs improvement? What I want to know is how involved these players are in future updates. They need to be consulted on such things like making extreme potions untradeable and unavailable in pvp. Yeah, they might get 'insider information' and use it to make money, but the easy solution to that is they can only participate in these discussions if they agree to temporary GE freezes for their character.

As a matter of fact unless the poll has under a .% margin of error it is not to be trusted. There are over 140 million Runescape accounts, however the majority of them are inactive I'd still estimate around 10 million different people log on each month and could participate in the pools. The best example of fixing a poll was when merchants in Runescape got everyone of their friends to vote for the santa costume for a Christmas reward so in turn the santa hat would rise faster than before during the Christmas season. Now if all 10 million+ players had voted the out come might have been different. I'm sure the margin of error in Runescape polls is greater than 1%.

The high level and clan leader forums are so those players can have a direct link with Jagex in discussing ideas. They have little insider info on updates and I'm not sure if they were consulted or not. The player mod forums are not for that type of thing and although they do get some future content told to them they aren't consulted the majority of the time.

The first article was pretty bad, it doesn't appear that much thought was put into and reads like a bad high school freshman English paper. Suggestions were pretty bad too.

Just coming out and saying something is bad without support is meaningless as you said. The paper was a collaboration of many posts and discussions on thread about this very subject. The suggestions are what you said they were, suggestions, if you have better ones you can post them, but I never said you had to do them only.

sorry to say: but I found the articles quite boring, and unusefull. - is there really happening so little in runescape that the articles are about those generic subjects?

All that social stuff I think is way over exaggerated in reality (An huge proportion from our tax goes to people who just try to draw conclusion about societies.), so please don't take it to runescape too :(.

The first article I found a bit like an unshamefull advertisement to spread lies.

I would like to see some more in-depth articles about runescape & (even better) jagex: what do the new updates have of possible influence, what's jagex' opinion. - What new ground-breaking game experience isn't truly discovered. - How did jagex completely miss the point (or hit the nail on it's head)? - THese articles could apply to any mmorpg - they aren't really about runescape!

Then suggest topics to an editorial staff member or write a guest article and send it to one of us. If you don't feel we are hitting the topics you like please do get involved in the Times.

I think the first article is very well written. It has a good balance between objectionable thinking and criticism. Dealing with the psychology of a player seems more interesting to me than going on with yet another essay on how Jagex can solve the problem.

The second article instead left me saying, "So what?" (which is a big red flag according ot my English teacher when writing an essay). There are dozens of microcosms in any given social gathering, real or internet. The article gave almost the same feeling as "In many ways, X is different from Y, but in other ways they are the same" which can be said about ANY two items in the known universe (well, I won't stake my life on it, but virtually any). The observation of microcosms was there. But there was nothing to really infer from such things at least as far as the article went. I believe the paragraphs about the forums was too generalized and rushed. If the author and spent more time detailing maybe only 4 distinct microcosms instead of 8 or so and then said something along the lines of "and this is how it relates to the big picture" whether that big picture be the community as a whole in tip.it, the whole runescape community, or even comparing the microcosms to maybe other microcosms of completely different games. Not necessarily rival games, but some sort of insight to other microcosm that is foreign to us in order to put some relevance in the statement.

TL;DR version:

First one was insightful because it had a facet of redirecting possible blame or responsibility onto us.

Second one was boring because there was no compare/contrast within the article to make the thesis really...catching.

Thank you for the kind of reply we want to see with actual support to your statement. <3:

I'm really disappointed in this week's articles. The first one is so riddled with glaring grammatical errors as to be nearly unreadable, and the second one doesn't seem to have any purpose...

Look:

Over the past few months most of us have been crying for Jagex to do something with trickers and price manipulating clans.

Right there in the first sentence we have a missing comma. That's a bad first impression.

The sentence does not need a comma to be correct.

Nonetheless we will also whine when Jagex does something such as deliberately changing the price of an item in order to counter some negative effect.

And again in the second sentence: more syntax errors.

So what is it? Do you want Jagex to intervene or not? There really isn't a middle ground on this subject because everyone's view on what is enough intervention and what isn't varies for everyone.

And top it off with redundancy.

That is not at all as redundant as some sentences can get and I see nothing wrong with it. It's more of your preference on this issue and it even though it may seem to you as redundant the editors/author might not think so.

So are we really taking the right approach by sitting down and typing out long complaints with the same overall purpose of intervention? Or should we actually take a proactive approach towards the issue?

And here we have poor diction. This is full of what my English teacher calls "B.O." (Blatantly Obvious.) "Really," "overall," and "actually" are meaningless and serve no purpose here except to waste the reader's time.

Another example of your/your teachers preference. My Adv. En. three teacher has no problem with those types of words. I do use them from time to time in my formal papers without any negative comments by the teacher.

I could go on about all the stylistic errors, but that's the reason it reads like a drool-inducing wall of text: it doesn't read cleanly because of all the mistakes. Sometimes you can shrug it off and say, "Well, you understood what I meant." But pervasive errors like this are a significant impediment to comprehension.

As for the content:

One thing we can do is get off our grinding butts and do something about it? But oh no we can't waste that two hours to go and be active in a cause or something we believe in. For those of you who do take a proactive approach on those types of things you might be wondering what you can do. Well if you dislike the 76kers you can always go and harass EPers and heck you might even kill a few for some good drops. Of course to avoid boredom you can get a group of friends together and make it a team effort to harass them in various parts of the wild; with cheap gear of course. There is something proactive you can do for almost any "bad" aspect of the game. Hate skiller killers? Get a group with the same ambition together and let a few people skill while you sit there and protect them, while switching out from skilling to protecting from time to time. Well some of you loathe and I mean loathe price manipulators and are wondering what you can do to help the situation. You could always skill in the GE and type out stuff like "Don't use [insert cc name] they are only out to scam you and take your money"...Of course you should type this periodically and be sure not to spam or autotype as you would just be stooping to their level. If you are a wealthier player with connections you could always go into some of the newer price manipulation clans, buy their item, and then dump for the same price the next day while causing them to massively fail and lose support. This option is however a bit more aggressive and does hurt a few naive players in the process but, you can't do everything to good way 100% of the time and this method really drives the point home.

None of these do anything to address the problem in the slightest. They have about the same effect as ignoring it and waiting for it to go away, except that you have to waste your time standing in the GE typing "flash3:wave2:Bobthemercher clan is a scam! Don't join!"

PKers aren't going to stop PKing because you kill one person once. Merch clans aren't going to stop merching because you warn people about them for five minutes.

If they save one player from being scammed or one person from funneling in 5M into the economy then I would consider it a success. The point is to do it with your friends and have a greater impact on the situations your addressing. The point is not to stop something in their tracks, but to slow it down and if some people see you doing it they might even join in. Just a preference of mine they are not pkers they are trickers, and they are not merchant clans they are price manipulation clans. There is a very big difference between the two.

Some of you are thinking...well this really isn't worth my valuable time while playing Runescape and for some of you it's not because you don't play as much as some do. However for those of you who are too lazy to do this, no matter how hard you rant about these problems you really aren't that into the cause even though you claim you are.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And I would thank you not to accuse me of laziness and of making false claims because I don't waste my time bailing a sailboat with a thimble.

(Textbook example of why you shouldn't use the second person in formal writing. It's rude to address the reader directly and say "You don't care about Runescape." That's what this passage is doing. As a rule of thumb, use first person plural, "we," instead of second person, "you.")

The Times isn't always formal essays. We do have some persuasive essays where the author can do as they wish (within reason); it all depends on the persons style.

In the end it's going to take a mass player action to bring to light the flaws in the game. Jagex has just alienated its users and won't do anything with it until it starts to be a cause for RWT or the game is in jeopardy. I know some of you are thinking "OH MY GOD! Another god [Hover] article about price manipulation and trickers!", well it's not. I simply used these as examples because they are in fact the best examples to emphasize my point. So is the right thing making rants which Jagex claims they read and in fact encourages? Or have we been doing it all wrong and is making something like a riot the only way to grab Jagexs' attention to the issue? Drastic measures are not needed to address the majority of the issues in Runescape, however for some that Jagex has already made a response to it might be needed to shift their point. All in all, are we taking the right approach?

We have no direct ability to make large-scale changes to the game. Jagex does. If we want to effect change, we petition Jagex to make a change. Otherwise, we live with it. Period.

O but we do. Living with it is not what people do, they will complain, rant, give suggestions, or become proactive if they are really after a change. A mass player action on subject would lead Jagex to look at the situation again and rethink their stance.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

In response to the first article:

Free trade needs to come back. PvP drops need to be what the other player is wearing. I don't care if JaGEx has to make "RuneScape:Asia" or require PayPal or Wallie cards to prevent credit card fraud. Player interaction needs to come back, sooner than later.

"Wah RWT!" - Here's an idea: create a "subscription auctionhouse." Players can buy "subscription credits" from JaGEx just like they pay for subscription now. Once the payment is authorized, the player gets credits which he/she can sell in the auctionhouse for RuneScape coins.

When you have over a million people using this authorization thing, how do you make a system to ensure that autoers can't 100% get through? You can't. And even if they stopped autoers from being members, they could easily go back to yews, and regular ess now that it has semi-decent prices, and transfer through trading or pk'ing.

Here's something to think about: it's very easy to find flaws in a system. It's very difficult to find solutions to said problems. And by solutions I mean ones that don't get shredded apart in 9.1 seconds. Instead of saying "do this, figure out how to make it work" why don't you figure out how to make it work instead.

How do you make a pvp system that drops whatever the person is wearing while making a system that prevents abusers from getting a drop of whatever the person is wearing? I think the simplest answer is you can't. You can't bring back free trade and getting a 100% pvp drop of what the person is wearing without opening the doors to real world trading.

Lrn2read my entire post.

I gave a solution to RWT - allowing players to trade coins for subscription credits.

Sooo.....if I read this correctly....your basically saying a solution to RWT is making an indirect way for players to buy coins? Basically a system that allows you to pay RL money for people's memberships in exchance for RS coins? That in itself is RWT, something that Jagex is 100% against.

I am of the opinion that a solution that stops RWT and allows RS free trade does not exist. Especially when any form of solution that involves a "legal" way of paying RL money for RS coins is against Jagex policy.

Heh.

As a matter of fact unless the poll has under a .% margin of error it is not to be trusted. There are over 140 million Runescape accounts, however the majority of them are inactive I'd still estimate around 10 million different people log on each month and could participate in the pools. The best example of fixing a poll was when merchants in Runescape got everyone of their friends to vote for the santa costume for a Christmas reward so in turn the santa hat would rise faster than before during the Christmas season. Now if all 10 million+ players had voted the out come might have been different. I'm sure the margin of error in Runescape polls is greater than 1%.

I liked most of your post....But although it's plausible that merchanters got all their friends to support the Santa costume in order to raise the price of Santa hats, it's also entirely plausible that the community simply chose a Santa suit because that's what the community wanted.

As for the accuracy of the polls...

It is worth noting that because only people who actually vote in these polls, well, vote in them, you are only getting the people who vote; therefore the opinion of people who don't vote is not represented. These people may have a largely different opinion then what the poll said. This makes me think of IRL politics and what would happen if everyone was forced to vote....

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

It seems I'm with the bandwagon here when I say that the first article got it all wrong. For one, the Grand Exchange is horribly flawed, and, if we are to follow JaGex's own trends, needs to be changed drastically, since it no longer serves its original purpose: to stop RWT.

Now, the article at hand here is simply wrong the current JaGex trend, which is actually covering up mistakes rather than admitting them. For one, all Trouble Brewing prices got slashed by 90% of their cost (making the rewards mean a tenth as much, and screwing old holders of these items over thousands of Pieces of Eight). This has been in the rants in both the German and English forums. The response in the German forums by a JMod who locked it, abbreviated, simply said: "Prices deflate over time. My phone is not worth as much as when I bought it, so this is a natural trend." This is, however, a lie, as this mistake occurred the same week that the Onyx prices were screwed up in the TzHaar area, when they changed how player stock was done. Onyx was fixed in two days, while the Trouble Brewing rewards were never fixed.

Relating that to the current state of the GE, JaGex simply wants to deny the fact that there's a problem. They occasionally want to get rid of the merchanters, while ignoring the blatant fact that there is RWT occurring on the GE system. As a radio announcer, Rush Limbaugh (not a huge fan, but this paraphrase is good) said, 'When a company makes a mistake, admits it, and fixes it, that's only a minor blunder. However, when they hide it and pretend that it was intended, that, sir, is horrible'.

So, JaGex simply should try to... I dunno, own up to their mistakes? I really don't like their new head honcho, because of this.

:blink: Deathmath did not write my name correctly! Can it be fixed please? <3: (I'm mentionned in the second article in the first line of one of the paragraphs)

Thx and nice articles ;)

Etp <3:

Ty Veyron for Siggy help!

It seems I'm with the bandwagon here when I say that the first article got it all wrong. For one, the Grand Exchange is horribly flawed, and, if we are to follow JaGex's own trends, needs to be changed drastically, since it no longer serves its original purpose: to stop RWT.

Now, the article at hand here is simply wrong the current JaGex trend, which is actually covering up mistakes rather than admitting them. For one, all Trouble Brewing prices got slashed by 90% of their cost (making the rewards mean a tenth as much, and screwing old holders of these items over thousands of Pieces of Eight). This has been in the rants in both the German and English forums. The response in the German forums by a JMod who locked it, abbreviated, simply said: "Prices deflate over time. My phone is not worth as much as when I bought it, so this is a natural trend." This is, however, a lie, as this mistake occurred the same week that the Onyx prices were screwed up in the TzHaar area, when they changed how player stock was done. Onyx was fixed in two days, while the Trouble Brewing rewards were never fixed.

Relating that to the current state of the GE, JaGex simply wants to deny the fact that there's a problem. They occasionally want to get rid of the merchanters, while ignoring the blatant fact that there is RWT occurring on the GE system. As a radio announcer, Rush Limbaugh (not a huge fan, but this paraphrase is good) said, 'When a company makes a mistake, admits it, and fixes it, that's only a minor blunder. However, when they hide it and pretend that it was intended, that, sir, is horrible'.

So, JaGex simply should try to... I dunno, own up to their mistakes? I really don't like their new head honcho, because of this.

My article was not about the GE or prices. I used the GE as an example in my argument that just plain ranting isn't doing it's job anymore. If would have read the article in it's entirety you might have grasped the fact that I was only using it as an example. Discussing all the flaws in the GE would take thousands upon thousands of words which is not suited for an article, but more for a topic like this.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png