More GE fun

canadiansmurf

Yet ANOTHER Jagex blunder. They do not address 76king and they do this instead? Seriously?

Yes I realize you can buy 2k vials from Shilo in under 40 minutes (that's what I do), but for those that want to save time, not a good move.

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[hide]

I don't think any skill is designed to be "grinded". But some skills, like herblore, almost require a "grind" or you won't achieve xp at all in a reasonable amount of time. If I tried to only farm and use the kingdom for all my herbs to 99, it would take me almost 2 YEARS or longer to gather all the herbs I needed! If I'm training herblore to use these new potions, I don't see waiting 6 months before I can even touch them as a logical concept.

I'm all for personal effort, but there's a difference between personal effort for a skill, and forcing players to provide for themselves. If I would rather do barrows for 2 hours to pay 400 each for eye of newts, and let someone else collect them for hours at 10gp each, I should have that option.

I respect that some players like to provide for themselves for goals. That fine, but you should also respect my decision if I chose to do something else for money and "buy" a skill. It's all about what I found a more enjoyable use of my time, and that's different for each person. So you cant say one way of getting a 99 is more "effort" than any other.

I see someone with 99 attack and say "Nice attack level.". I don't care how they got there, if they PC'ed, or if they trained on chickens to 99. How they got there is their own personal goal and only matters to THEM, not me or anyone else.

[/hide]

The part that I don't understand is why people feel the need to rush for a 99 in skill that they don't enjoy. It could be that they want the status of getting a 99 that most people do not have (whether due to the amount of work that needs to be done, or the expense). Or, perhaps it's so that they can "strike another 99" off the list as they go for a high skill total. There's a point in there where most people lose the fun aspect of RS and start playing the game only for the game's sake. Now, I'm not going to tell you how to play. However, I do not think that Jagex should be expected to offer these methods of training.

PS: You can probably tell from my stat sig which skills I dislike training. :razz:

Okay first of all I want to say I agree completely with Brian. I don't understand all of these elitist attitudes of people who think they are better because they put more time into the game to level up skills instead of "buying" them or whatever.

Anyways I wanted to point out how ironic this statement was:

The part that I don't understand is why people feel the need to rush for a 99 in skill that they don't enjoy.

Why rush for a 99 that you DON'T like? What would you do instead? Take your time doing something you hate doing, or get it over with? You said Jagex shouldn't be expected to offer those methods, but you could say the same thing about the training of skills boringly and slowly. Just like you worked hard to level up boring skills, some people worked hard to get the money to level up the boring skills fast. Who are you to dictate how people choose to level their skills?

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

[hide]

<snip>

[/hide]

The part that I don't understand is why people feel the need to rush for a 99 in skill that they don't enjoy. It could be that they want the status of getting a 99 that most people do not have (whether due to the amount of work that needs to be done, or the expense). Or, perhaps it's so that they can "strike another 99" off the list as they go for a high skill total. There's a point in there where most people lose the fun aspect of RS and start playing the game only for the game's sake. Now, I'm not going to tell you how to play. However, I do not think that Jagex should be expected to offer these methods of training.

PS: You can probably tell from my stat sig which skills I dislike training. :razz:

Okay first of all I want to say I agree completely with Brian. I don't understand all of these elitist attitudes of people who think they are better because they put more time into the game to level up skills instead of "buying" them or whatever.

Anyways I wanted to point out how ironic this statement was:

The part that I don't understand is why people feel the need to rush for a 99 in skill that they don't enjoy.

Why rush for a 99 that you DON'T like? What would you do instead? Take your time doing something you hate doing, or get it over with? You said Jagex shouldn't be expected to offer those methods, but you could say the same thing about the training of skills boringly and slowly. Just like you worked hard to level up boring skills, some people worked hard to get the money to level up the boring skills fast. Who are you to dictate how people choose to level their skills?

I fail to see how my statement is ironic. To answer your question, I'll first have to acknowledge that you and I probably have different thoughts as to how someone should approach the game. I personally see no reason to train a skill that I don't like. Why would I commit myself to hundreds of hours in grinding if that entire process is throughly unenjoyable? To me, Runescape is still a game, and games are meant to be played for fun. When skill 99s become the ends rather than the means, then I think there's a bigger issue than simply training preferences.

Second, I'm not dictating how anyone should level. I've been very careful to say which points I give are my personal opinions. However, I do not think that Jagex made an error when they decided to cap vial prices. Players with a great deal of money may think that they should be offered a fast alternative to traditional herblore training. However, there are already skills out there that can't be "bought." You need to put in the hours if you want a fishing cape, for example. What's to say that it's not Jagex's intention to steer herblore more toward those lines? With the release of the high level potions, training has gotten more time-consuming, but aren't the fruits of your labor also more rewarding?

Edit: As for the "elitist" comment... I don't see where I've ever said that I was better than anyone else. This is a discussion thread after all, and I'm simply stating my thoughts.

Tact.gif

I fail to see how my statement is ironic. To answer your question, I'll first have to acknowledge that you and I probably have different thoughts as to how someone should approach the game. I personally see no reason to train a skill that I don't like. Why would I commit myself to hundreds of hours in grinding if that entire process is throughly unenjoyable? To me, Runescape is still a game, and games are meant to be played for fun. When skill 99s become the ends rather than the means, then I think there's a bigger issue than simply training preferences.

Second, I'm not dictating how anyone should level. I've been very careful to say which points I give are my personal opinions. However, I do not think that Jagex made an error when they decided to cap vial prices. Players with a great deal of money may think that they should be offered a fast alternative to traditional herblore training. However, there are already skills out there that can't be "bought." You need to put in the hours if you want a fishing cape, for example. What's to say that it's not Jagex's intention to steer herblore more toward those lines? With the release of the high level potions, training has gotten more time-consuming, but aren't the fruits of your labor also more rewarding?

Edit: As for the "elitist" comment... I don't see where I've ever said that I was better than anyone else. This is a discussion thread after all, and I'm simply stating my thoughts.

The irony was the fact that you were asking why someone would try to go through a skill quickly that they didn't enjoy, but I see that you are simply saying why bother to level it at all. You make a good point, but the way skills are set up by Jagex, there are a lot of situations why you might be "forced" to level a skill up. Take for instance quests. A lot (if not most) quests have requirements in skills that you won't enjoy. Also there might be awards in those skills (such as herblaw since that's what we've been talking about in this topic) that might be worth getting even if you hate going through the leveling process. As far as your last sentence, I'm not going to bother responding in depth beacuse thats a whole other argument, but basically I think people think that going through with the pain of leveling stuff they hate will pay off by making things more enjoyable once they are done with it?

You make a good point in your second paragraph, but I honestly think people should still be able to power through skills if they choose. People who like doing everything on their own can do exactly that, but people who like to merchant/pk/stake/monster kill for their money and just power their skills should be able to do that I personally think.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

Once again, Jagex reinforces the notion that the true motivation behind the GE was complete control over the RS market, as opposed to their false claims about the 'evil' RWT and what not. It is more so about stopping people from making amounts of money they deem inappropriate(while 76king still runs wild) than anything else. Since when was taking advantage of market prices for a nice profit here and there a bad thing?(Not talking about merchanting/price manipulation) There are so many things wrong such as price manipulation, lack of high level updates and what not, and this is what they choose to invest their efforts in?How to block what is left of free trade and DIRECTLY opposing transactions. So much for players determining prices(they spouted this rhetoric multiple times after 10/12). Absolutely ridiculous.

As for those of you ignorantly stating that this update is fine; WAKE UP because you clearly don't realize the implications behind this. I can't think of any sane reason to do this other than just to piss us off. It was one thing when they mispriced several items and refused out of laziness to manually fix them, and now it is another thing to INTENTIONALLY misprice items that were priced fine. Instead of relaxing price limits as they promised; particularly on new items rather than having us wait months for the Grand Excrement to reach the proper price/equilibrium, they are pulling off this crap. Just [bleep]ing great.

As for those of you ignorantly stating that this update is fine; WAKE UP because you clearly don't realize the implications behind this. I can't think of any sane reason to do this other than just to piss us off. It was one thing when they mispriced several items and refused out of laziness to manually fix them, and now it is another thing to INTENTIONALLY misprice items that were priced fine. Instead of relaxing price limits as they promised; particularly on new items rather than having us wait months for the Grand Excrement to reach the proper price/equilibrium, they are pulling off this crap. Just [bleep]ing great.

I think that one of the reasons this limit was imposed was so that no more money would be created artificially. I mean think about it...with the release of untradeable potions there's going to be a massive interest by many players to level their herblore therefore a big demand on herblore related items, if they let items (that can be easily acquired in shops) such as these go "wild" then investors and merchanters would basically get loads of free money...

Quite frankly i think this whole G.E. thing needs to be reformulated...i'm sick of waiting for x item to crash to be able to afford it, or to wait until item y gets up again so i can sell it without losing money, that also includes levelling...waiting for resource z to get cheaper so i can afford a level. i could add more examples but i think you get the picture :-P

well i was thinking about possible ways to stop manipulating..and this is what i came up with

If every item over 10k was unaffected by bulk buying (manipulating) so that only single offers affect the price of an item (normal demand) ex. If a manipulator has an offer to buy 100 verac helms his offer will have no effect on the price of verac helms, but the person's offer for only 1 verac helm will affect the price of verac helms. There is absolutely no use for buying more then one of these items. Sure manipulators could buy 1 item at a time but that would require a lot of effort which would defeat the purpose. This would have to be different for items you need in bulk (pots,food,resources) but seeing most of these bulk items are generally low priced you can create a price at where items start to be unaffected by bulk buying.

Thoughts?

Veil_Of_Maja.png

I think that one of the reasons this limit was imposed was so that no more money would be created artificially. I mean think about it...with the release of untradeable potions there's going to be a massive interest by many players to level their herblore therefore a big demand on herblore related items, if they let items (that can be easily acquired in shops) such as these go "wild" then investors and merchanters would basically get loads of free money...

Quite frankly i think this whole G.E. thing needs to be reformulated...i'm sick of waiting for x item to crash to be able to afford it, or to wait until item y gets up again so i can sell it without losing money, that also includes levelling...waiting for resource z to get cheaper so i can afford a level. i could add more examples but i think you get the picture :-P

There are a TON of ways that merchanters get money far more easily and far more illicitely. This should be least of thier concern. What exactly does this accomplish? It lets NO-ONE get anything. I would much rather that the merchers horde it and I pay their fee rather than not being able to buy it at all. It isn't that they are concerned about merchants because they have already let them off on far more serious issues; they have already stated that they pretty much intend to do nothing. This was pretty much another way to make players waste more time so it takes us longer to get 96 herblore and we keep paying more money. Not impressed in the least bit.

Since when was taking advantage of market prices for a nice profit here and there a bad thing?(Not talking about merchanting/price manipulation) There are so many things wrong such as price manipulation, lack of high level updates and what not, and this is what they choose to invest their efforts in?How to block what is left of free trade and DIRECTLY opposing transactions. So much for players determining prices(they spouted this rhetoric multiple times after 10/12). Absolutely ridiculous.

I agree. I went to the runescape news page about personalized shops update and they even contradict themselves:

As of today, shops in RuneScape are now personalised for every player. The amount of stock you see in each shop is now unique to your account and, therefore, no longer affected by the actions of other players.

This has a number of advantages:

Most importantly, it allows us to relax the price limits on the Grand Exchange. For somewhat complicated reasons, it means it is safe for us to drop the minimum price for many items, and raise the maximum price for some items. This means many items will no longer have their price set against an artificial limit, allowing prices to move more freely and better match player supply and demand.

Due to the herby update vials are in high-demand but since the day that prices of vials were nerfed I've been able to purchase LESS than 500 vials. This isn't relaxing prices, it's dictating prices for a high-demand item.

This was pretty much another way to make players waste more time so it takes us longer to get 96 herblore and we keep paying more money.

^ Agree.

well i was thinking about possible ways to stop manipulating..and this is what i came up with

If every item over 10k was unaffected by bulk buying (manipulating) so that only single offers affect the price of an item (normal demand) ex. If a manipulator has an offer to buy 100 verac helms his offer will have no effect on the price of verac helms, but the person's offer for only 1 verac helm will affect the price of verac helms. There is absolutely no use for buying more then one of these items. Sure manipulators could buy 1 item at a time but that would require a lot of effort which would defeat the purpose. This would have to be different for items you need in bulk (pots,food,resources) but seeing most of these bulk items are generally low priced you can create a price at where items start to be unaffected by bulk buying.

Thoughts?

What about the items that are frequently bought in bulk by actual players? Why should player X's purchase of 20 raw monks influence the price more than player Y's purchase of 20k raw monks? All a system like that would do is passively create ceilings or floors, rather than the directly like Jagex is doing now. Not to mention it would probably be even easier to manipulate markets.

My vial purchase bid has been in since the day of the 103 gp price cap for water-filled vials.

After days of being able to only purchase 0 or 2-20 vials per day today the GE finally sold over 4k vials.

I'm confused as to where the vials are coming from the vial stock in shops isn't that high, and most shops are unlocked after quests. I doubt some player who has unlocked quests would bother buying and selling vials for a poor profit.

I wonder if the bots are back. If so, welcome back! My herby level thanks you.

My vial purchase bid has been in since the day of the 103 gp price cap for water-filled vials.

After days of being able to only purchase 0 or 2-20 vials per day today the GE finally sold over 4k vials.

I'm confused as to where the vials are coming from the vial stock in shops isn't that high, and most shops are unlocked after quests. I doubt some player who has unlocked quests would bother buying and selling vials for a poor profit.

I wonder if the bots are back. If so, welcome back! My herby level thanks you.

Strange. I got like 8K vials in the first few days after the update, and then, with the same offer, it just totally stopped and went down to a few vials a day. About the bots: there are much more profitable things to do for bots than buying vials.

People were probably panic selling after the price reduction.

As for bots, couldn't RWTers actually take advantage of this by offering to mass-collect an artificially price-capped GE item and sell it to a customer for GE price? At low levels, the number of vials you can get is directly proportional to the number of accounts you have, so it seems like the sort of thing that a horde of bots would be perfect for.

EDIT: I now have a rather amusing image in my head of a queue of bots at Shilo's General Store, spanning most of the town, each making incoherent beeping noises at the storekeeper and running off with 27 vials...

EDIT: I now have a rather amusing image in my head of a queue of bots at Shilo's General Store, spanning most of the town, each making incoherent beeping noises at the storekeeper and running off with 27 vials...

LOL now I do too.

Anyway, Bots can make far more doing other stuff and can do those all dat instead of for 40 minutes :/

• 2 weeks later...

This vials cap NEEDS TO GO. I had an offer up for over 2 days, and how many water filled vials did I get? ZERO.

Vials now have a street price of over 1k each. This is one of the stupidest market updates ever.

FairTraders.net (Merchant Guides + Grand Exchange Update Notifier)

Get FREE Grand Exchange updates through the website, by email, or through your mobile device!

ftsig.png

About the bots: there are much more profitable things to do for bots than buying vials.

The thing with a bot is, a botter doesn't have to value any items at any price because they are acquired not by a person who values time but by a computer who is only worried about fulfilling its instructions.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

The price cap for bronze arrows need to be higher. I made an offer of 10k bronze arrows, left it on for a day, and NO arrows were bought.

Eventually I lost faith in bronze arrows. :angry:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Seriously, it isn't hard to get vials of water or newt eyes. I'm happy that Jagex capped this. I think they should do the same for all merchanted items. I want to see all merchants make a loss and burn in hell :)

Few major problems with you mate. First, merchenters aren't the problem. They cater to supply and demand. Think of this as being slightly like the stock market. Price manipulaters ARE the problem. They create an artificial demand and cap the available stock to normal players by making these items essentially unbuyable, these items being the item manipulated. These are slightly like people with insider trading knowledge, as they know the item is going to rise. Manipulators, not merchants, are the problem.

+1

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

caps are retarted, no caps in reallife

offer - demand

they should fix the manipulating merchanters, getting monopolys is outlawed IRL in most auctions i think

so they should fix that and not screw us over with poopupdates, dumbo merchanters should go die

I dont like their idea of caps, if the price has pushed too high, demand will fall, price go crashing, merchanters dump their stuff, the market will fix itself... All we have to do is to wait.

However, merch clans are not really monopoly, it is somewhat a pyramid scheme. IE: money earned from their members, thats their fellow "dumbo merchanters" whom create all those excess demand.

BTW, you can get all those capped items from npc stores/produce your own in tower of life, so there is no monopoly to fix.

And most real life auctions are monopolies... Who will bid anything in ebay when they can get the item from a store...cheaper?

Excellent update allowing some items to be purchased as notes from the stores.

This will up the amount of items for sale on the GE as well!

Currently only these items are sold in these packs besides shards: eyes of newt, empty or water-filled vials, raw bird meat, and empty baskets or sacks

I'd like to see the noted items extended to other summon seconds such as tinderboxes, raw rabbit meat and harpoons, these are in demand as much as bird meat.

I'd also like all the rune shops to be linked so runes can be purchased daily in one go.