More GE fun

canadiansmurf

They're just trying to fix things. I don't see what was wrong with this update.

It's the fact that people are too lazy to collect their own materials because they are GE products. It's not a bad update by any means, they simply fixed the price of a few common items in an attempt to make them realistically priced. If Jagex were to take a proactive approach towards price manipulators the GE would be dotted with changes like this, which in the long run would be better for all of us. Just because it's unbuyable it doesn't mean it's impossible to get. That's what we had to do before the GE.....get our own items when we couldn't find a seller.

It the 1970's there were long lines for gas stations. Want to know why? Well, OPEC (Players collecting vials) had kept increasing the price on oil (Glass Vials) due to reducing production (demand due to herblore update). Well, that meant gasoline would be more expensive. Well, the US Congress (Jagex) would have none of that, so they passed a law (changed the code) limiting the top price of gas (price ceiling in the exchange), but didn't do anything about the price of oil (ability to gather vials faster/cheaper). Well, that meant gas stations (players) would be forced to sell at low profit or a loss buying gas from the oil refineries (collecting vials from the store 27 at a time). Voila, no gas stations bought gas to sell to consumers (no one gathered vials to sell to players). Hence, long lines at gas stations not because there wasn't gas available, because no gas station owner is going to sell something he's forced to sell for less than he bought it (lots of buyers on GE for vials, but no one willing to sell).

But hey, people could always drill their own oil, refine it to gasoline. Or they could choose to walk the 30 miles to work instead of being lazy.

Look, price caps were only needed when players could get infinite items. Same with price floors. With infinite items removed, and players having individual stores then there's no need for price limits at all. Yeah, Jagex may monitor the GE to offset problems caused by price fixing merchants. However, they should not step in when it comes to how players determine what their time is worth (cost of item on GE versus gathering itself).

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the fact that people are too lazy to collect their own materials because they are GE products. It's not a bad update by any means, they simply fixed the price of a few common items in an attempt to make them realistically priced. If Jagex were to take a proactive approach towards price manipulators the GE would be dotted with changes like this, which in the long run would be better for all of us. Just because it's unbuyable it doesn't mean it's impossible to get. That's what we had to do before the GE.....get our own items when we couldn't find a seller.

It the 1970's there were long lines for gas stations. Want to know why? Well, OPEC (Players collecting vials) had kept increasing the price on oil (Glass Vials) due to reducing production (demand due to herblore update). Well, that meant gasoline would be more expensive. Well, the US Congress (Jagex) would have none of that, so they passed a law (changed the code) limiting the top price of gas (price ceiling in the exchange), but didn't do anything about the price of oil (ability to gather vials faster/cheaper). Well, that meant gas stations (players) would be forced to sell at low profit or a loss buying gas from the oil refineries (collecting vials from the store 27 at a time). Voila, no gas stations bought gas to sell to consumers (no one gathered vials to sell to players). Hence, long lines at gas stations not because there wasn't gas available, because no gas station owner is going to sell something he's forced to sell for less than he bought it (lots of buyers on GE for vials, but no one willing to sell).

But hey, people could always drill their own oil, refine it to gasoline. Or they could choose to walk the 30 miles to work instead of being lazy.

Look, price caps were only needed when players could get infinite items. Same with price floors. With infinite items removed, and players having individual stores then there's no need for price limits at all. Yeah, Jagex may monitor the GE to offset problems caused by price fixing merchants. However, they should not step in when it comes to how players determine what their time is worth (cost of item on GE versus gathering itself).

Well said.=D>

Ellysian.png

Seriously, it isn't hard to get vials of water or newt eyes. I'm happy that Jagex capped this. I think they should do the same for all merchanted items. I want to see all merchants make a loss and burn in hell :)

The difference is that vials are cheaper to buy in the store, so people will still sell them for profit. It is just going to take time for people to go to the store and buy them, until then we have a shortage.

No, before the GE, I and many others just posted a thread on the forums and did some woodcutting or something while managing it. I don't see how the GE has changed this.

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

Seriously, it isn't hard to get vials of water or newt eyes. I'm happy that Jagex capped this. I think they should do the same for all merchanted items. I want to see all merchants make a loss and burn in hell :)

I mostly blame Jagex for creating the problem...but there are other threads for that.

The shop update benefited me, actually. Since I usually gather my own materials, or only buy a part of the materials, I can profit more in non-buyable skills. :D

And I'm glad to see that willow logs are still 8gp each. That way, I can get very cheap Firemaking experience without spending much money.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Or we were able to pay a high price to a player. THAT is why they should not tamper with GE prices - players are not allowed to interact at any price other than the GE price.

Just wait until you need more than 27 of each...

Vial & eye merchants filled a needed service.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

"Be quiet or I'll throw my cane at you!" :lol:

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Few major problems with you mate. First, merchenters aren't the problem. They cater to supply and demand. Think of this as being slightly like the stock market. Price manipulaters ARE the problem. They create an artificial demand and cap the available stock to normal players by making these items essentially unbuyable, these items being the item manipulated. These are slightly like people with insider trading knowledge, as they know the item is going to rise. Manipulators, not merchants, are the problem.

Secondly, Jagex created a limited supply of items available to be purchased from shops. Then they increase the demand for those items with an herblore update. Is that necessarily bad? No. Not if they let the GE work as it was supposed it. Instead they remove any motivation to collecting these items. It is almost as if, by requiring people to collect their own materials, they wish to make the game more "grindy". This is actually similar to removing many of the "make/cook/fletch x" options.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

What's wrong with 300 water-filled vials every few hours? Honestly, I don't think herblore is meant to be trained by grinding out levels. If you do some long term planning to farm your own herbs and make some potions every time you log on, it's perfectly possible to obtain 99 without losing 200 million.

Personally, I don't mind seeing the players who believe that gold is everything having to put in some time and effort if they really want such a high herblore level.

Tact.gif

What's wrong with 300 water-filled vials every few hours? Honestly, I don't think herblore is meant to be trained by grinding out levels. If you do some long term planning to farm your own herbs and make some potions every time you log on, it's perfectly possible to obtain 99 without losing 200 million.

Personally, I don't mind seeing the players who believe that gold is everything having to put in some time and effort if they really want such a high herblore level.

Well, to use 300 vials takes what, 15 minutes?

You are the problem the world has. You are jealous of other people success, and what them to have it harder, so your low self-esteem can be built up. No skill was "meant" to be a grind fest, but most of them are.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

"You are the problem the world has. You are jealous of other people success."

Jeez that's harsh and entirely out of context. I thought he had a good point. I'm gaining herblore levels by MTK and slayer...

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

I don't think any skill is designed to be "grinded". But some skills, like herblore, almost require a "grind" or you won't achieve xp at all in a reasonable amount of time. If I tried to only farm and use the kingdom for all my herbs to 99, it would take me almost 2 YEARS or longer to gather all the herbs I needed! If I'm training herblore to use these new potions, I don't see waiting 6 months before I can even touch them as a logical concept.

I'm all for personal effort, but there's a difference between personal effort for a skill, and forcing players to provide for themselves. If I would rather do barrows for 2 hours to pay 400 each for eye of newts, and let someone else collect them for hours at 10gp each, I should have that option.

I respect that some players like to provide for themselves for goals. That fine, but you should also respect my decision if I chose to do something else for money and "buy" a skill. It's all about what I found a more enjoyable use of my time, and that's different for each person. So you cant say one way of getting a 99 is more "effort" than any other.

I see someone with 99 attack and say "Nice attack level.". I don't care how they got there, if they PC'ed, or if they trained on chickens to 99. How they got there is their own personal goal and only matters to THEM, not me or anyone else.

dawnsigblue-3.png

You are the problem the world has. You are jealous of other people success, and what them to have it harder, so your low self-esteem can be built up. No skill was "meant" to be a grind fest, but most of them are.

I'm more than happy to debate specifics with you, but slandering my post doesn't further the discussion in any way.

Alright, so 300 vials may be a little low. Jagex should bump that number up a bit, but my point is that it's still reasonable to be expected to train herblore on a day-to-day basis instead of taking the easier but extremely expensive approach.

In addition, I don't agree that most skills are a grindfest. Sure, there are methods out there for almost every skill where you can gain faster xp by repeating the same actions over and over again. And yes, if you have the cash, you can spend it on whatever you'd like. However, Jagex should not be "obligated" to provide this route for any skill, which I think some of the wealthier players expect.

Tact.gif

I don't think any skill is designed to be "grinded". But some skills, like herblore, almost require a "grind" or you won't achieve xp at all in a reasonable amount of time. If I tried to only farm and use the kingdom for all my herbs to 99, it would take me almost 2 YEARS or longer to gather all the herbs I needed! If I'm training herblore to use these new potions, I don't see waiting 6 months before I can even touch them as a logical concept.

I'm all for personal effort, but there's a difference between personal effort for a skill, and forcing players to provide for themselves. If I would rather do barrows for 2 hours to pay 400 each for eye of newts, and let someone else collect them for hours at 10gp each, I should have that option.

I respect that some players like to provide for themselves for goals. That fine, but you should also respect my decision if I chose to do something else for money and "buy" a skill. It's all about what I found a more enjoyable use of my time, and that's different for each person. So you cant say one way of getting a 99 is more "effort" than any other.

I see someone with 99 attack and say "Nice attack level.". I don't care how they got there, if they PC'ed, or if they trained on chickens to 99. How they got there is their own personal goal and only matters to THEM, not me or anyone else.

The part that I don't understand is why people feel the need to rush for a 99 in skill that they don't enjoy. It could be that they want the status of getting a 99 that most people do not have (whether due to the amount of work that needs to be done, or the expense). Or, perhaps it's so that they can "strike another 99" off the list as they go for a high skill total. There's a point in there where most people lose the fun aspect of RS and start playing the game only for the game's sake. Now, I'm not going to tell you how to play. However, I do not think that Jagex should be expected to offer these methods of training.

PS: You can probably tell from my stat sig which skills I dislike training. :razz:

Tact.gif

we signed up for a controlled economy and trade limits right?

oh wait...

Yes, you did, because it's Jagex's game. Your monthly membership entitles you to play the game, but it doesn't buy you fractional ownership. ;-)

Tact.gif

The part that I don't understand is why people feel the need to rush for a 99 in skill that they don't enjoy. It could be that they want the status of getting a 99 that most people do not have (whether due to the amount of work that needs to be done, or the expense). Or, perhaps it's so that they can "strike another 99" off the list as they go for a high skill total. There's a point in there where most people lose the fun aspect of RS and start playing the game only for the game's sake. Now, I'm not going to tell you how to play. However, I do not think that Jagex should be expected to offer these methods of training.

PS: You can probably tell from my stat sig which skills I dislike training. :razz:

Now, I agree herblore isn't my favourite skill ever. However, "grinding" a few hours (while buying the ingredients at the high GE price) to get access to such awesome potions is totally worth it IMO. However, with this update I can't. Now I have to "grind" gathering vials anyhow, which will be a redicilously boring and a waste of my time. Please tell me, how I'm supposed to gather the 10K vials I need now?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif