Within the Light shouldn't even have existed

ford_landau

Within the light whilst fun an enjoyable did not really offer me a signifant development in the Elf/Mourner storyline.

I am a huge quest buff and the elf quests have always been my favourite. Upon seeing the system update I was very excited that I would be entering the great elf city of Prifddinas after four years of waiting (Mourning's End Part II), also this quest was a massive 100 quests after regicide.

These two bits of information show that Jagex is always dipping its hands into different projects and quest storylines and not really following through and finishing quest lines (Dorgeshan quest arc the exception amongst two or three very minor quest lines). Now don't get me wrong I love suspense at the end of quests, however 90% of users can agree having to wait four years for an elf quest does not build suspense, rather players just forgot about the lore and history of the elfs. The elfs fade from memory like the elfs of middle earth :(

This is the reason jagex released "Within the Light", it is not a development of the storyline, rather it is a 30min recap on what we forgot in the last four years while jagex created a plethora of new quest series about penguins etc. Im not saying too "remove the quest" at all, rather im saying that this quest should not have existed as Jagex should have had more regular instalments of elf quests over the years for us long term players.

In 2008 Jagex had a very succeful and interesting quest series. That was the "summer/spirit beast" series. The first quest built up a huge amount of suspense, and the next quest was not a huge wait and I think at the time it was the most eager I had been to complete a quest upon release. Other players can agree that the wait between the two quests was perfect, and a great reward too!

However as prior mentioned, there was no real excitment and there was alot of talking to the npc about my now ancient adventures in the elf lands. If Jagex want to redem what I would describe as a "failed opporunity" then Jagex need to release the next instalment in at least early December, as I am aware a large reason that there was a four year wait was that the developer of the elf quests had left Jagex for four years. While your at it, opening up the Elf city is not a big ask, as it was aluded too by jagex back in the days of rsc when undergorund pass first came out.

Jagex have been doing a great job of late. They listened to their players and realised that high level updates are what the high level and medium level community like. Now they need to realise that players love to close books on their adventures, and whilst they have done so with a few series, there are still soo many quest lines that I would like to see finished.

Please jagex, you alredy made a 30min quest for the elf storylines, it makes no sense to do so anymore and especialy with the low level mahjarat quests. Lucien has been confirmed by Jagex staff on the official forums as one of the "main instigators of evil" in runescape, so please it makes no sense that after confornting Lucien and touching the stone of Jas that the quest line has gone backwards from a grandmaster quest to a series of fill in quests that do not have the dificuly or satisfation of WGS.

In concluding my little ramble/lame rant, what are your thoughts. Are you a newer player that has only recently finished Mourning's End Part II, thus found the quest enjoyable? Or are you an older player maybe and you didn't really mind the recap? What are your thoughts, feel free to disagree, my best weapon at the moment is my enhanced excalibur 2, so dont be scared to tell me how much of a noob I am :)

king__giovas.png

king__giovas.png

Feel free to add me ingame if you want to chat :D

Well, if you read the forums, you'd know they haven't even begun actual development of this quest. They're in the conception stage. That basically means they haven't hit key one on doing it yet. They're waiting to develop the graphics in the game that would justify it.

Should it have existed? Probably not. Was it there to bridge the time gap, yeah I think so.

But have this quest by December? Psh! You'll be lucky if we have the quest and Prifddinas by December of 2010. It takes a minimum of 6 months to make a quest. This one will likely be a *monster* when they do it so look for it to take around 9 months to a year. And, they havent' started it yet. In fact, its on hold until the graphics are completed to implement in the design of it.

All of this boils down to: No. We have a long wait ahead of us.

-edit- I'm not done. I got more to say. Early December? You're so brazen about it to even quanitfy what part of the month you want it in? Are you kidding me? I mean people say I complain about Jagex a lot, but seriously?

What do you want them to do? "Hey sorry about taking so long and we're sorry you didn't like the quest. Tell you what, because you asked for it, we'll just go ahead and hammer out a conclusion to the *longest running quest chain* in the 8 1/2 history of the game in two months. Sound good guy?"

I mean come the hell on. :evil:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Well you can't change the past, and it did make for a more interesting update than a fishing rebalance.

Ideally Jagex would have asked the Jmod who originally developed the series and continued it without such a ridiculous gap, but that just isn't the way things happened. The fact they have finally disturbed the dust suggests that at least they have remembered that the series exists, and will be working on it. Not much more to ask for.

I've done about 30 quests in the last month, from bottom up the difficulty level and was too disappointed by Within the Light. Collect stuff, run a bit, solve a puzzle, and you're done. And to top it off, have no rewards.

Not an excuse for a Master quest in my opinion, and indeed very little new content (info mainly) for one.

zj7y4z.gif

DeeKay.png

I thought it was good, Both for the fact that the light maze wasn't as painful as MEP2 and also gives us an idea why we cant get into the city, why we cant SEE the city, and why the Elf's refuse anyone to enter the area.

Right Now! Grow your own Elf City! With our new "Sing-A-Long Crystal Chime!" Your's now for only 300,000 Gold Pieces!

Tanzanite-Crystal-1.gif

(I just had to do it. )

Popoto.~<3

I am aware a large reason that there was a four year wait was that the developer of the elf quests had left Jagex for four years. While your at it, opening up the Elf city is not a big ask, as it was aluded too by jagex back in the days of rsc when undergorund pass first came out.

Actually, the developer of the series was replaced. Dylan C was the guy who converted the RSC elven quests (Plague City, Waterfall, Biohazard, Undeground Pass), to RS2 and created the newer quests up to MEP2.

And yes, we currently have a problem of too many quest series. Now Jagex has started developing sequels for abandoned series, but it only treats the symptoms without curing the main problem. They need to merge some of the series (e.g. Plague+Arposandra+Monkey Madness).

Well I thought so too but then I'm F2P and only know from Rune Wiki and yes I was disappointed that it did not let P2P go into the city. Unless you use that glitch. But with the new skill coming out next year, Jagex might have put it on hold and gave players something to occupy their time with.

I have yet to complete the quest, but I can't understand who catapult construction could be classed as having anything to do with the elf quest line.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

I disagree, look at what it accomplished! With this quest, they established a baseline for what kind of stats this finale quest will have,we've discovered why the Elf City didn't exist, we've discovered the implication that Baxtorian might possibly be involved further down the line, the implication that we will be able to expand upon our 'crystal chanting' skills in the future, etc. I've completed lesser quests that left me with less in the way of tantalizing implications and good suspense builders with cruddy rewards. (Hand in the Sand guys, mirite?)

I thought it was good, Both for the fact that the light maze wasn't as painful as MEP2 and also gives us an idea why we cant get into the city, why we cant SEE the city, and why the Elf's refuse anyone to enter the area.

Right Now! Grow your own Elf City! With our new "Sing-A-Long Crystal Chime!" Your's now for only 300,000 Gold Pieces!

Tanzanite-Crystal-1.gif

(I just had to do it. )

Wins the "Post of the Thread" award, I lol'd nonstop.

I have yet to complete the quest, but I can't understand who catapult construction could be classed as having anything to do with the elf quest line.

Gaining further the trust of the one you unwittingly betrayed? It would be a safe bet to assume that he'll be involved in the closure of this storyline, somehow.

hzvjpwS.gif

This quest offered no advance to the storyline IMO. Just a filler.

And Rach' U bin smokin erbs again? :shock:

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Same with Roving Elves. It clearly continues Waterfall rather than Regicide.

It's an elven quest, but not plague.

It is a plague

It furthers the story by telling you:

The mourners still havn't found the temple of light

the temple of light is connected to the city

the city has been reverted to crystal

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I'm taking up singing lessons in between now and the next elvern quest becuase i'll need to really sing from the diaphragm if i'm to enchant a city.

I don't mind the quest, it didn't leave me excited or any great moments within that quest.. it had little to offer but I understand that it's more of a delay to get peoples taste buds going for the latest installment.

The puzzle Chris is talking about I really have no idea, and if it has any significance I have no idea.

For me, the earlier quests; plague city, biohazard, underground pass where merely starters, regicide and all subquests ex. roving elves are first course, Mep 1-2, within the light, main course, and now it's time for dessert.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

I'm taking up singing lessons in between now and the next elvern quest becuase i'll need to really sing from the diaphragm if i'm to enchant a city.

I don't mind the quest, it didn't leave me excited or any great moments within that quest.. it had little to offer but I understand that it's more of a delay to get peoples taste buds going for the latest installment.

as for the puzzle Chris is talking about I really have no idea, and if it has any significance I have no idea.

Personally, I'd rather had them spend the time on this quest making one to release Menaphos, another unreleased city, instead ot this quest, which told us that not only is the city not gonna be released, we're gonna have to regrow it. Oy vey.

Really, in all serious, I'd have Jagex stop marking out to themselves and quit acting like they're doing gods work. It's a game. Relax. Maybe give us what we want and not just changing what you give us when people start complaining. *cough* pvp herblore *cough*

Same with Roving Elves. It clearly continues Waterfall rather than Regicide.

It's an elven quest, but not plague.

As far as we know now. I think Paw_Claw (and a few others) were right in saying that Jagex left the description of what will happen between now and the finale very vauge.

hzvjpwS.gif

Maybe I should exist. We see more of a clearer alliance between Thorgel and the elves. This is important. For those questers out there, how many alliances do we have at this point?

There is:

Peguin - [Cut of of] Red Axe Alliance (Kandarian)

Saradominic - Zamorakian Alliance (Morytania)

Armadyll - White Knight - Druid Alliance (Kandarian - Asgarnia - Mithlain)

Red Axe - Arposandra - Ogre Shaman Alliance (Kandarian - Tirawnn - Motherland)

Dark Elves - East Ardounge (Kandarian - Tirawnn)

So, the fact that dwarfs are being spread out so much, maybe Thorgel is being set up to be something bigger. Maybe this quest was made to show him in a greater role? Could he be part of the Red Axe? Could he be part of the Red Axe that sided with the penguins? Maybe he's working undercover for King Lathas?

And maybe that gnome we freed will have something to do with us later...

EDIT:

After further consideration, you could also question the existance of MEP2 being a requirement for WGS. Lucien is on his way to god hood, and his cousin, Zemouregal. The two seem to be having conflicts as they are very upranking Marjahht. Perhaps Zemouregal wants Zaros to return and is against Lucien. Maybe he is secretly using Lucien's actions to work with the Dark Elves to release the Dark Lord and once again plunge RuneScape into chaos.

Monkey, in Curse of Arrav, ir added more evidence, to existing evidence, of Zamouregal being a Zamorakian Mahjarrat. Also, Zaros is referred to as the "Empty Lord" not ther Dark Lord. So that's one big no.

As far as Alliances, we have:

Penguins/Red Axe Dwarves/ Gnomes of Arposandra, and a single Ogre Shaman. Orges are not involved past the one guy.

Zammy/Sara: Who knows. This was shown for a minute and talked about the Edicts of Guthix, but after that nothing else was really fleshed out. No more info. I wouldn't list it as a major Alliance.

Temple Knights/Armadylians(sp?)/Crux Equal are alligning to stop Lucien. Problem is, WGS had little lead into it. Other than a few bits from like Temple of Ikov, Meeting History, and stuff, nothing that alluded to it. Most stuff was like the Oracle saying Jas' name, the Lunars and their books, and the guys in Lumby Caves.

The Elves alligned themselves with Lathas only to get under West Ardy. They've lied and betryed him. It's hardly an alliance.

I also don't think geographical locations tied into any of it, other than where stuff has taken place.

God that was a long post.

Maybe I should exist. We see more of a clearer alliance between Thorgel and the elves. This is important. For those questers out there, how many alliances do we have at this point?

There is:

Peguin - [Cut of of] Red Axe Alliance (Kandarian)

Saradominic - Zamorakian Alliance (Morytania)

Armadyll - White Knight - Druid Alliance (Kandarian - Asgarnia - Mithlain)

Red Axe - Arposandra - Ogre Shaman Alliance (Kandarian - Tirawnn - Motherland)

Dark Elves - East Ardounge (Kandarian - Tirawnn)

So, the fact that dwarfs are being spread out so much, maybe Thorgel is being set up to be something bigger. Maybe this quest was made to show him in a greater role? Could he be part of the Red Axe? Could he be part of the Red Axe that sided with the penguins? Maybe he's working undercover for King Lathas?

And maybe that gnome we freed will have something to do with us later...

EDIT:

After further consideration, you could also question the existance of MEP2 being a requirement for WGS. Lucien is on his way to god hood, and his cousin, Zemouregal. The two seem to be having conflicts as they are very upranking Marjahht. Perhaps Zemouregal wants Zaros to return and is against Lucien. Maybe he is secretly using Lucien's actions to work with the Dark Elves to release the Dark Lord and once again plunge RuneScape into chaos.

Thorgel is Sliske the Mahjarrat, who delves the shadows?

No, he isn't. Sliske is also known for having a hand in many, many minor ways of all the inhabitants of RS. It's most likely we haven't seen Sliske is any form as of yet.

The one thing that caught my attention was the "enchanting" of the teleport crystal. It mentioned maybe teaching you more about singing in the future. I'm wondering is some kind of Singing/Bard Skill is the next skill on the horizon. If they line up a new skill with a quest, Singing/Bard would line up with the reason to unlock the skill, much like Summoning and Herblore. Tbh, I think this quest was more of hint/teaser for the new skill.

NOTE: Singing/Bard is the only words I can think of to describe the new skill. It may be something more complicated than that.

that is an idea :D at level 99 'insert idea skill name here' you can lure player with the song of sirens :D

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]