The Obligatory Ice Hockey Thread

Hawks

I've predicted semi-well. Have most of the teams correct, just the wrong number of games...

Same, kind of. Definitely wrong with my bos/mtl games prediction (said 6) but i said tb/pit would go seven so I got that right at least...

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Should be interesting though. So far my predictions (excluding the number of games) are 4-2. If my final 2 teams win, then I'll theoretically be leading. (Oh, and we should do pick rankings based on points: 1point for getting the correct team, 3points for getting the correct number of games, and -1point for every number of games your off).

Ie:

Let's say someone predicts that vancouver wins in 7, and they end up winning in 4. That person would get 1 point for picking the correct team, and (3-3) points for getting the number of games.

div>

Woot go TB yah!!

Max Talbot hurt himself lol. He tried to sell the Ohlund "hit", and faceplanted on the edge of the boards :rolleyes: Ohlund barely touched him.

Anyways, I just wanted to say Guy Boucher's face is like... intense.

Staurolite.png

Van/nsh- van in 6

Sj/det- det in 5

Wsh/tb- tb in 6

Bos/phi- bos in 5

Should be interesting, considering how close the standings are in the pool. I lead with 75points, and yguy is a mere 20behind (meaning that he essentially has to go 4 for 4 with teams to be tied with me at the end of round 2).

div>

My ninja skills have struck again, sensei polo. Picking san jose is actually a pretty interesting/risky idea, seeing as their entire team in the playoffs is like inception, in that the further down they go, the greater the likelyhood of them waking up/being out.

May as well explain my other picks to try and spur some discussion:

Detroit (for the above reasons).

In the vancouver vs nashville matchup, I expect rinne to be pretty decent. He's performed well against 'tough teams', mind you against vancouver, he'll be good but not 'perfect'.

Washington vs tampa is an interesting one, due to the fact that washington is literally the san jose of the eastern conference. Tampa's been too good this year, and with washington's front lines being weak, tampa more or less has it.

The boston pick, again, pretty interesting. Boston set a franchise record during the last matchup by winning the series after being down 2-0 (a feat which they hadn't done in 26 attempts prior to this). Philly is essentially the same team as last year, which is semi-bad seeing as other teams have made significant improvements.

div>

Montreal is my second favorite team :( . Suban had a pretty sweet goal at least and his celebration made me laugh. Oh well, I like Boston too, and now two of the roughest teams get to beat each other to a pulp :thumbsup:

Predictions:

Canucks in 6

Flyers in 7

Wings in 5

Caps in 7

SJ isn't playing well at all. Based on their performance against LA, I don't think they can win more than maybe one home game. On the other side, Detroit is on fire right now and I think they have the momentum to keep going. Haven't watched the Caps play once this year, except against the Penguins. I think they're a better team than Tampa, but after Tampa's performance against the Pens, I think they'll take the Caps to 7 games. I think the series against Chicago served as a nice wake up call to Van. I think they'll beat Nashville who, in my opinion, is a worse team than Chicago. Hoping Boston/Philly is a war of attrition. Whoever is least tired/beaten up by the end will take it. I think Philly can win with better goal scorers, though. I think the only reason the Sabres made it so far was Miller (which would explain the relatively low goal scoring).

Overall, the playoffs this year have been absolutely fantastic. Regardless of who wins, it should be great to watch the rest of the games.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

picking san jose isn't that risky. they looked bad vs kings, but howard is not quick. they have 3 lines that can tear up jimmy

and SJ took the regular season series 3-1

Picking SJ isn't risky because SJ should be a great team, but they seem to choke during playoffs. I think the Wings are better right now, and even if you don't think Jimmy isn't as good as Quick, Jim is still a great goaltender. I also think Thornton historically plays bad against the Wings; as long as they can stay out of the box.

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

picking san jose isn't that risky. they looked bad vs kings, but howard is not quick. they have 3 lines that can tear up jimmy

and SJ took the regular season series 3-1

Picking SJ isn't risky because SJ should be a great team, but they seem to choke during playoffs. I think the Wings are better right now, and even if you don't think Jimmy isn't as good as Quick, Jim is still a great goaltender. I also think Thornton historically plays bad against the Wings; as long as they can stay out of the box.

well SJ took out red wings in 5 last year, granted the wings were injured to hell and back

but i wouldn't consider it an upset with either team. both have pretty equal talent