The 90's Strike Back

RpgGamer

I constantly hear complaints about today's youth. In person, my parents, my friends, myself. As of recently, even here on TIF. The majority of the users on here are considered "90's kids". We consider ourselves the last "good" generation. Why? We can blame many things, but the top two are media and parenting. But what if the media realizes that it's wrong? What if the world has seen how wrongful it's treated the kids of today and wants to make up for it? I think it has.

Not too long ago, Cartoon Network resurected the old series "Power Puff Girls" in a movie form. This was an obvious throw back to the loyal 90's kids still watching the channel faithfully, waiting for it to restore its former glory. Whether or not we were satisfied with that is disputable.

Today, Cartoon Network is trying again, and digging up an old favorite "Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy" for another throw back movie. This looks promising, and many have already seen it during it's European debut.

Moving away from TV, we'll go to movies.

Remember those awesomesauce toys we used to buy as kids? Transformers? Gi-Joes?

Have you seen them recently?

They're the new stars of the big-screen. Who knew that a child's imagination would pay off so well 20 years down the road?

I realize that Transformers and Gi-Joe are more for the late 80's generation, but where do you think they'll go to next? All your favorite 90's toys and fads. Will we see another Crash-Test Dummy movie? Only time will tell

Now on to Music...

This is the part that amkes my heart swell with joy. It seems all of my favorite 90's bands have returned with a vengence. Blink-182 recently reunited and is working on their next album. Limp Bizkit's Wes Borland and Fred Durst even set aside their differences to combat the crap that is today's music. I am super excited for their return escpecially.

But what other great 90's bands have disappeared that we can excpect a return from? Even if we don't expect it, wouldn't it be nice to have some old favorites go touring again?

I think System of a Down will be next to hop on this band wagon. I sure as hell hope so anyway. And does anyone remember Sugar Ray? Maybe we'll see them in the future, too. If Nirvana ever got back together, not only would I be shocked ad amazed, but I may be a little confused as well. Not that I wouldn't have a fangasm anyway.

Bring back the 90's!

Discuss.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I hope those bands you mentioned never set foot in a recording studio ever again.

I expected a reply like this :P

I dmit, my taste in music is aged...and frequently disagreed on. BUt you can't say that Fred Durst wasn't one of the key voices of the Nu-Metal ('rapcore' as the call it now) movement. I love my grunge. I love my 90's Nu-Metal.

and the 1990's was the best decade representing those genres. Of course, I have other tastes, but I practically grew up on Limp Bizkit and KoRn.

I hope those bands you mentioned never set foot in a recording studio ever again.

I dmit, my taste in music is aged...and frequently disagreed on. BUt you can't say that Fred Durst wasn't one of the key voices of the Nu-Metal ('rapcore' as the call it now) movement. I love my grunge. I love my 90's Nu-Metal.

and the 1990's was the best decade representing those genres. Of course, I have other tastes, but I practically grew up on Limp Bizkit and KoRn.

Of course Limp Bizkit were massively successful, but to me they are an absolute travesty. It seems a real shame that you Yanks had bands like that when here in the UK we got to enjoy Britpop.

Suede aren't the best example of Britpop, but this song always makes me feel very 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEc_5abpfA

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Yeah, Fred Durst is a tool and Blink-182 and System need to stay dead. I thought we had moved on from them.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The two good things about the 90s were britpop and shoegaze. I would've rather been born in the mid 60s, so I would've caught post-punk, no wave and 80s indie rock. As for these 90s cartoons, my childhood was spent watching anime, Top Gear and playing videogames so I don't give two [cabbage]s about those.

Also, being born in the 90s make some think they're entitled to endlessly piss and moan about how awesome it was when they were actually too young to remember 70% of it.

I think I underestimated the difference in culture between the USA and everyone else during that time period.

And I agree SilverSword, those born after 1995 were too young to truly appreciate it.

Oh, I remember the 90's, and I remember when everyone was infected with the stupid virus of 2000.

The shows, the people, the VALUES.

Remember when people use to put effort into TV show, now it's just random crap. Shows in the 90's had actual plots. I remember Hey Arnold was one of these. Also, Rugrats was awesome. It's never on anymore, but a few days ago I caught an episode on early in the morning and found that there are actually alot of adult jokes that were intended to go over the heads of the kids and make the parents laugh.

Of course, not all shows were good (CatDog annoyed the hell out of me), but it's better than what we have now.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Can you people stop [bleep]ing about how the 90s was supposedly better?

It's all pointless [bleep]ing nostalgia. Our parents would have looked at what we watched and thought of it as a load of crap, those born in the early 80s would have thought of it as a load of crap.

Realise this, you're now doing the same goddamn thing, sure, I may dislike some of the more modern shows, but I don't [bleep] about how crap they are, and how we had better stuff, because, the truth is, it was hardly that much better. Give a kid born in this generation something we watched during the 90s, chances are they'll compare it to what we watched and say it sucks. Like, undoubtedly, we thought about what our parents watched, because we thought our shows and such were better.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

It's all pointless [bleep]ing nostalgia. Our parents would have looked at what we watched and thought of it as a load of crap, those born in the early 80s would have thought of it as a load of crap.

Realise this, you're now doing the same goddamn thing, sure, I may dislike some of the more, modern shows, but I don't [bleep] about how crap they are, and how we had better stuff, because, the truth is, it was hardly that much better. Give a kid born in this generation something we watched during the 90s, chances are they'll compare it to what we watched and say it sucks. Like, undoubtedly, we thought about what our parents watched, because we thought our shows and such were better.

A valid point. As a kid your bound to like whatever is put in front of you first simply due to lack of comparison.

But I didn't start this topic to whine and reminise, I just wanted to hear predictions of recurring fads.

*becomes best friends with Dizzle*

I admit, my taste in music is aged...and frequently disagreed on. But you can't say that Fred Durst wasn't one of the key voices of the Nu-Metal ('rapcore' as the call it now) movement. I love my 90's Nu-Metal.

Nu Metal =/= rapcore

They both are pretty [cabbage]ty genres anyway. I agree with Lateralus on this one.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Of course, not all shows were good (CatDog annoyed the hell out of me), but it's better than what we have now.

Hey, I enjoyed CatDog.

I was born in '92, and I don't remember half the 90s either. All I remember is the Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon shows. Which were pretty good, I'll admit, and several were better than today's shows, but I don't throw myself at the feet of the decade and praise its glory. Come on, guys.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Limp Bizkit is awesome.

I agree with you. When and where you were born play a significant role in your taste of music, shows, etc. If I were born 10 years later, I would probably think Hannah Montana was a good show.

For me, a lot of the cartoons and shows I watched as a child were not even from the 90's, they were much older. Things like Top cat, Tom & Jerry, the Smurfs, all much older than the 90's. I guess that is what happens when you have an older brother to introduce you to that kind of show.

Because of my brother, I was very much a child of the 80's, even though I was born in 1990.

Bananaman, he man, Dangermouse (so funny even today!), Garfield etc.

Did anybody see the moomins? Personally they actually scared the living hell out of me as a child, i'm not sure why, but i hated that program for that fact.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

For me, a lot of the cartoons and shows I watched as a child were not even from the 90's, they were much older. Things like Top cat, Tom & Jerry, the Smurfs, all much older than the 90's. I guess that is what happens when you have an older brother to introduce you to that kind of show.

Because of my brother, I was very much a child of the 80's, even though I was born in 1990.

Bananaman, he man, Dangermouse (so funny even today!), Garfield etc.

Did anybody see the moomins? Personally they actually scared the living hell out of me as a child, i'm not sure why, but i hated that program for that fact.

the moomin [bleep]ing rocked.

Really though, kids TV these days IS garbage compared to kids TV in the 90s, which is itself garbage compared to kids tv in the 80s ect... ect... all the way back to Tom and Jerry and the like. It is getting progressively worse.

Tk5SF.png

I feel really wimpy about being scared by the moomins, but certain things like this really scared me at that age, and still would if I saw it in a dark alley:

groke-480x360.jpg

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

TV nowadays sucks. I loved Angry Beavers (have to go to Hot Topic and buy one of the shirts!) and CatDog, Hey Arnold, and Doug were great. Once upon a time I watched the Powder Puff Girls, it was an okay show, though definitely better than anything on today. And they actually ran Looney Tunes on Saturday mornings, none of this 'we can't play those, they're too violent and bad' crap.

Toys I remember not much of, besides LEGOs and Toy Story stuff, which is and always has been and will be great.

The problems with the kids are mostly parenting problems. You can try to pin it on the big business (what with all the food ads, no wonder kids are fat :roll: ) but it's really the parents. Allowing a five-year-old to play Halo is just plain wrong. That's realistic killing, not the 'let's shoot fireballs at walking mushrooms!' gameplay of 90's games. (also one of the reasons I love Nintendo. Pure gameplay. No unnecessary (besides SSB) violence). Letting your 5 year old watch Family Guy is also a no-no for obvious reasons. I can't stand any of that crap TV anyway.

The 90's should stay in the 90's. As someone already said, show a young kid now a show you used to watch back then, they'll compare it to something more recent and say it sucks [wagon].

As for Limp Bizkit etc, liked them when i was younger but really can't see their appeal now.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

I didn't really watch cartoons at all. Rugrats and Doug were the only things I ever really watched.

Then you watched the good ones. This isn't just nostalgia, shows from Scooby Doo (60's) to Rugrats (90's) made sense. Now the only plots that make sense are when they recycle them from older shows. Though I have to say, Family Guy's newer shows have been more about plot and less about gags, like The Road to Germany and Petergeist. Hell, every episode of the last season has had developed plots.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Being born in China in '93, I never really got to "grow up" on 90s music, hell, I can't even remember what music I listened to back then haha.

But I must say, 90s music was good, but the 80s, 70s and 60s were better.

But after all that, the stuff we have now is :thumbdown:

Staurolite.png

I was born in '88 in the country. The only music I heard was what was on the radio and I didn't watch much tv. I helped my grandparents on the farm for as long as I can remember, and I didn't have the internet until I was 17ish, but I know this much... I liking music simply because its from a certain genre or decade is [developmentally delayed]ed. I'm not saying that it's not ok to like your favorite band or a genre, but every genre/decade of music has had some pretty sucky bands and songs. That is all.

P.S. I just wrote this out of boredom.

wailord.png

If you choose your beliefs/lifestyle simply based on what your parents want, then you are a weak minded individual and are not even worthy of calling yourself a person.