Oh yay! Tighter airport security

Riku3220

Instead of putting money into American airport security, maybe they should invest into other nation's airport security.

No.

Our nation is falling behind and we're putting money onto others? Come on!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are they going to stop me from getting up in the last hour?

How the guy even got through security is amazing. He was on a watch list, for pete's sake!

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

To target a specific race due to the conception of "high chance of terrorism" is in itself racism. It's like saying because the majority of Fascists were European that you must assume all old European people are Fascists.

I don't think so. Racial profiling is essentially picking out people based on statistical likelihood. There is a reason to discriminate so it's not just based on the fact that you're a different race. It's the same thing as saying blacks are more likely to commit a crime in America. Statistically, it's true, and there doesn't have to be any racist undertones to that. Having said that, I'm not surprised that people would look though the logic of that argument and feel (emotionally) that it's racist anyway.

And to make myself clear, I'm not saying that racial profiling is an accurate and appropriate method of airport security. It's a very blunt way of doing things, to say the least.

Statically speaking it would be a correct statement but statics disregard contributing factor and population amount.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Out of curiosity, for all of those who say "better violated/humiliated/delayed/etc than dead", how exactly does stopping you from using the restroom in the last hour prevent terrorism? Am I crazy for just thinking said terrorist would, oh, I don't know, pull their stunt 70 minutes before the plane touches down instead of 30? What exactly sets that last 60 minutes apart from the past 10 hours or so, asides from the fact that THIS time it happened at that time? That's like saying, because the last attempt was made through using shoes, we should always spend extra time searching shoes... oh wait.

In my opinion, this terrorist attack was a success. They're doing this to scare people - well, they certainly have people scared. Scared enough to make rules that don't even make sense, scared enough to defend said rules without really thinking about it.

Do people really believe that the next attempt would occur in the last 60 minutes, and because of this new rule, it won't happen anymore?

To target a specific race due to the conception of "high chance of terrorism" is in itself racism. It's like saying because the majority of Fascists were European that you must assume all old European people are Fascists.

I don't think so. Racial profiling is essentially picking out people based on statistical likelihood. There is a reason to discriminate so it's not just based on the fact that you're a different race. It's the same thing as saying blacks are more likely to commit a crime in America. Statistically, it's true, and there doesn't have to be any racist undertones to that. Having said that, I'm not surprised that people would look though the logic of that argument and feel (emotionally) that it's racist anyway.

And to make myself clear, I'm not saying that racial profiling is an accurate and appropriate method of airport security. It's a very blunt way of doing things, to say the least.

I read something about this recently. Specifically, it was a TSA document that was badly redacted and then released due to the freedom of information act, someone downloaded it, replaced the redaction with red outlines, and it was generally pretty embarrassing to the TSA. There was a list of nationalities that they take aside and screen specifically. I'm not sure of the legality of linking directly to the file, so if you want to read the document (A very interesting read) go here and click on the link to the file.

C2b6gs7.png

"iv. If the individuals photo ID is a passport issued by the Government of Cuba, Iran, North

Korea, Libya, Syria, Sudan, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Somalia, Iraq, Yemen, or Algeria, refer

the individual for selectee screening unless the individual has been exempted from selectee

screening by the FSD or aircraft operator."

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

Out of curiosity, for all of those who say "better violated/humiliated/delayed/etc than dead", how exactly does stopping you from using the restroom in the last hour prevent terrorism? Am I crazy for just thinking said terrorist would, oh, I don't know, pull their stunt 70 minutes before the plane touches down instead of 30? What exactly sets that last 60 minutes apart from the past 10 hours or so, asides from the fact that THIS time it happened at that time? That's like saying, because the last attempt was made through using shoes, we should always spend extra time searching shoes... oh wait.

In my opinion, this terrorist attack was a success. They're doing this to scare people - well, they certainly have people scared. Scared enough to make rules that don't even make sense, scared enough to defend said rules without really thinking about it.

Do people really believe that the next attempt would occur in the last 60 minutes, and because of this new rule, it won't happen anymore?

Often the bombers have orders to blow up the plane over U.S. soil, as in this case. There are many major U.S. airports that lie on the coast, such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Baltimore, Boston, two in Washington D.C., and any of the three in New York. For flights to any of these airports, the plane does not reach U.S. soil until, at most, the last hour of the flight. If they need to get something from the bathroom to set of the bomb, and they can't get it earlier in the flight and keep it with them, then the one hour rule would work.

But the rule has been removed now anyway.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

A.

Aircraft operator flight crewmembers in uniform, with valid aircraft operator employee identification, are

exempt from the Unpredictable Screening Process and restrictions involving liquids, gels, aerosols, and

footwear.

So all a terrorist actually has to do is become a pilot and then all these security messures are moot.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

A.

Aircraft operator flight crewmembers in uniform, with valid aircraft operator employee identification, are

exempt from the Unpredictable Screening Process and restrictions involving liquids, gels, aerosols, and

footwear.

So all a terrorist actually has to do is become a piolet and then all these security messures are moot.

Oh darn! He's exposed the loophole in our security measures! Rats, whatever shall we do?

Raise the taxes whilst the government sits on their arses in Jamaica smoking the reefer deciding what to do then shaking a magic eight ball and go by that.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

A.

footwear.

So all a terrorist actually has to do is become a piolet and then all these security messures are moot.

Oh darn! He's exposed the loophole in our security measures! Rats, whatever shall we do?

Raise the taxes whilst the government sits on their arses in Jamaica smoking the reefer deciding what to do then shaking a magic eight ball and go by that.

i thought reading tea leaves was in style this year? you know the green revolution!

michel555555.png

Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

now this is a good one

1A-2

B

The FSD may authorize the following modifications for the screening of Persons With Disabilities:

1) ETD searches are not required for:

a. Wheelchair and scooter cushions

b. Footwear of disabled individuals that cannot be removed

c. Prosthetic devices, casts, or support braces

d. Orthopedic shoes

so all u need to do is get a doctor to write u a perscription for shoes... wonder how many loop holes actually are in the us security system

michel555555.png

Bull. [cabbage]. I went on a class trip to Florida once between 8th and 9th grade, and my arm was broken. They pulled me out of the security line at the metal detector, had me stand in a little plastic gate (we called it "the Box" later on) for a few minutes, and then gave my cast a swab down and all that good stuff. Said they were looking for GSR/black powder/explosive material. This old woman gave me an expression of sheer terror as she saw them pull me out and as I was standing there waiting. [cabbage].

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Bull. [cabbage]. I went on a class trip to Florida once between 8th and 9th grade, and my arm was broken. They pulled me out of the security line at the metal detector, had me stand in a little plastic gate (we called it "the Box" later on) for a few minutes, and then gave my cast a swab down and all that good stuff. Said they were looking for GSR/black powder/explosive material. This old woman gave me an expression of sheer terror as she saw them pull me out and as I was standing there waiting. [cabbage].

I think they're talking about INSIDE the cast, not on. They can scan the outside of it with whatever means they got, no problem. It's taking it off and looking at the inside that they can't do.

You never know which rabbit hole you jump into will lead to Wonderland. - Ember3579

Aku Soku Zan. - Shinsengumi

You wanna mess with me or my friends? Pick your poison.

If you have any complaints about me, please refer to this link. Your problems are important to me.

Don't talk smack if you're not willing to say it to the person's face. On the same line, if you're not willing to back up your opinions no matter what, your opinion may as well be nonexistent.

Often the bombers have orders to blow up the plane over U.S. soil, as in this case. There are many major U.S. airports that lie on the coast, such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Miami, Baltimore, Boston, two in Washington D.C., and any of the three in New York. For flights to any of these airports, the plane does not reach U.S. soil until, at most, the last hour of the flight. If they need to get something from the bathroom to set of the bomb, and they can't get it earlier in the flight and keep it with them, then the one hour rule would work.

But the rule has been removed now anyway.

Oh I see! If your men can't attack during the last sixty minutes, you'll just give up all together! Then Al-Qaeda may as well disband and everything will be well! Ingenious!

I don't know if what you say about the rule being removed is true - there seems to be a lot of confusion following it, and some places are now extending it to 90 minutes. However, that merely reinforces the point - the rule is stupid, and anyone who'd take the time to really think about it would draw the same conclusion. This quote I found in a local newspaper pretty much summarizes the incident:

If there are a hundred tactics and I protect against two of them, I'm not making you safer.

If we're going to surrender liberty for the sake of security, shouldn't we be sure we're actually safer?

Guest Mrmegakirby

What they don't mention is how that guy was a known terrorist, had no passport and security had intenionaly not checked him.

If they really wanted to scare the [cabbage] out of us, bomb High School rallies. Jesus Christ, my gym's packed in those things, like 1500 kids in 'em. Bomb a few in the same day, your calcuaties go over 10,000 and tripled the number of 9/11. Plus the fact that the victims are mostly kids. Double score.

But obviously they only want to use planes.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Airport security is also pretty racist. I am middle eastern Christian and I am part of a sect that prays in Aramaic, which looks kind of similar to Arabic. They searched my bag and found my prayers and then I got taken aside and had my stuff more thoroughly searched -.-... By doing actions such as that, it not only loses business but it creates more resentment against the United States.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Either you're unlucky enough to be searched (if they do random searches) or you're part of a racial profile that the airport security follows. Even in the second case, it doesn't necessarily mean they're picking on you because they think you're inferior - they just think you're statistically more likely to be a terrorist. It's unfortunate it has to be this way, but they're not exactly picking on you for no reason.

Just to add to this, don't take it personally. A few years back I had a very deep tan from outdoor activities (I am white with native American ancestry) and I often was mistaken for being Indian (shut up Rba). I was selected for random screening several times but once my tan faded I can pass through with no problems. It's just a red light that goes off in their heads and is something that has to be checked. It's sad that it's come to profiling, but that's better than most other solutions.

They also do have random elements and will draw anyone out, regardless of skin color or religion.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

So this guy was on the terror watch list, AND he happens to get a flight to the US? And all due to negligence, even more "security" measures are put in, if I'm not mistaken?

Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one., is a pretty good quote that sums up my thoughts on the whole situation. Just putting a band-aid over this isn't going to fix this. [bleep]ing imcompetent idiots. You let a [bleep]ing TERROR WATCH SUSPECT get a flight to the US. Nice job whoever allowed him into the US, you brought it upon yourself, and now everyone pays for it.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

So why does airport security tighten worldwide because of an isolated incident?

If they really wanted to scare the [cabbage] out of us, bomb High School rallies. Jesus Christ, my gym's packed in those things, like 1500 kids in 'em. Bomb a few in the same day, your calcuaties go over 10,000 and tripled the number of 9/11. Plus the fact that the victims are mostly kids. Double score.

But obviously they only want to use planes.

Not to mention the security would be next to none. You could probably just dress like a teacher and would fit in.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

So why does airport security tighten worldwide because of an isolated incident?

It's added security for all flights to the U.S., which is essentially world-wide.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Not to mention the security would be next to none. You could probably just dress like a teacher and would fit in.

Or a student. In highschool, whenever we had a fire-drill. I told my mates... "be better off putting the bombs in the evacuation points.. then call in the threat.. get them all easily since they're in less places" and it still stands really. If they really want to just go for the body count it really wouldn't be that hard.

But I think the point is breaking through layers of security and going for something with national symbolism. How would America react if you wake up to the Statue of Liberty being rubble ... or Mount Rushmore .. how about the Washing Monument? The reaction was off the chart for the Trade Towers..

Edit: If they wanted to go for real pain... hit the USMC War Memorial. Not to be disrespectful of those killed in action, but it really would be a harsh blow when the memorial to the fallen is destroyed.

This guy must have a low terrorist level. Maybe he should train his Terrorist skill with some of the other terrorists.

I was going to flu to London for spring break, but I am thinking about taking a boat. If I do that I can record myself singing I'm on a boat, while on a boat.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Well I just came back to the US from Argentina and security was pretty bad. In the security line they patted everyone down then after security before boarding the plane, they searched through everyone's carryon bags and patted each person down again. We had to remain seated for the last 30 minutes of the flight. Not the worst security I've been through in terms of wait time, but it was still ridiculous. They didn't even THOROUGHLY search the bags. They just unzipped them and peaked inside.. pretty pointless really.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog