11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Quite frankly, I struggled a LOT at Nomad. 21, yes 21 attempts to seize victory. It wasn't a matter of not knowing what to do, it was a matter of him hitting hard constantly.

This quest deserves Grandmaster. end of story.

A single boss fight does not make the quest. I would hardly hold this up to a novice quest. Sure it has one hell of a fight, but it lacks severely in everything else. Cooks assistant had more story than Nomad's Requiem, and the story and music makes a quest for me. I can look past every other thing if the story and music is good.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some element of luck, especially for the lower levels, involved in this quest. For example; I went in on one of my many tries with a different set-up to try my luck and I started really well, rarely getting hit and eventually I got to within and inch of his life and then I died. Feeling confident I went in with the same set-up again and got ripped to shreds. But while luck does play a role in this, planning, strategy and set-up play a much bigger role.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

All these complaints about the story need to be real. If you read the words, you would have noticed that this had much more story than "Cook's Assistant", and many other quests, it just left many questions unasked. In addition, this has huge potential for development and sequels, where as Cook's Assistant barely squeezed out a loosely related sequel. I liked RFD, but tbh that story was just sort of random.

Nomad's Requiem will play an important role in the Mahjarrat storyline, and we can definitely expect to see Nomad and Zimberfizz again. Just because the quest created new questions instead of answering old ones doesn't mean the story was lacking.

All these complaints about the story need to be real. If you read the words, you would have noticed that this had much more story than "Cook's Assistant", and many other quests, it just left many questions unasked. In addition, this has huge potential for development and sequels, where as Cook's Assistant barely squeezed out a loosely related sequel. I liked RFD, but tbh that story was just sort of random.

Nomad's Requiem will play an important role in the Mahjarrat storyline, and we can definitely expect to see Nomad and Zimberfizz again. Just because the quest created new questions instead of answering old ones doesn't mean the story was lacking.

You missed the point. It wasn't because the quest had a lacking plot that we were upset. It was because it was a Grandmaster Quest and was lacking plot. GM quests should be up to their nipples in plot.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

You missed the point. It wasn't because the quest had a lacking plot that we were upset. It was because it was a Grandmaster Quest and was lacking plot. GM quests should be up to their nipples in plot.

Perhaps. It seems to me this has a lot more plot than you are giving it credit for though. It was a bit on the short side, but it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg. Anyways, the alternative would be to make it Master, which would make it an extremely difficult Master quest, so they would have to lower the combat stuffs, which would just make it lame. Plus it's important for Nomad to be powerful in this quest cause they can't randomly make him powerful in a sequel when they decide to add a nice story to it.

I'm sure Jagex was having this discussion before the release. It really comes down to people's opinions on what a GMQ should have. It is my opinion that the story potential combined with the difficulty of this quest make it Grandmaster, but I understand why you would think otherwise.

Perhaps. It seems to me this has a lot more plot than you are giving it credit for though. It was a bit on the short side, but it seems to be just the tip of the iceberg. Anyways, the alternative would be to make it Master, which would make it an extremely difficult Master quest, so they would have to lower the combat stuffs, which would just make it lame. Plus it's important for Nomad to be powerful in this quest cause they can't randomly make him powerful in a sequel when they decide to add a nice story to it.

I'm sure Jagex was having this discussion before the release. It really comes down to people's opinions on what a GMQ should have. It is my opinion that the story potential combined with the difficulty of this quest make it Grandmaster, but I understand why you would think otherwise.

Just to clarify, a quest with a decent plot shouldn't be able to be summed up in two lines.

"Kill nomad"

"Ok"

You got no reason why you were doing it and I honestly think it was just a fan service. A majority of people wanted nomad to turn out to be an enemy, and so he did.

I was reading through a thread in Jagex Lite where one of the Jagex QA staff was chatting with people, and he stated that Jagex DO NOT class quests on how long they are. They are classed on the requirements needed to complete them.

So in this case yes beating a lvl 699 with 1250HP classes as a grandmaster. It might not be what we expected because of WGS. But hey, Catapult Construction is a master quest apparantly... :rolleyes:

asrhasrh.jpg

Just to clarify, a quest with a decent plot shouldn't be able to be summed up in two lines.

"Kill nomad"

"Ok"

You got no reason why you were doing it and I honestly think it was just a fan service. A majority of people wanted nomad to turn out to be an enemy, and so he did.

No, it was more like

"Go see what he's doing there."

And on your way he starts attacking you, and you kill him...

Cooks assistant had more story than Nomad's Requiem, and the story and music makes a quest for me.

Getting the cook 3 items for a cake is more of a storyline then discovering the background of soul wars aswell as getting information about Nomad and his past?

Why dont we make Cook's Assistant require 80 cooking and 50 hunting then call it a grandmaster quest because it has such a nice storyline then.

Also like ive said earlier in the thread, anyone who says the storyline consists of "Go kill Nomad", didnt read the dialogue and just skipped everthing to get the reward to then critisize the quest for having no storyline.

x2wdnq.png

Absolutely epic... worth every penny i spent on potions lol

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Also like ive said earlier in the thread, anyone who says the storyline consists of "Go kill Nomad", didnt read the dialogue and just skipped everthing to get the reward to then critisize the quest for having no storyline.

This. I really cannot understand the complaints that this quest was lacking in plot or storyline. This quest has huge implications for future Mahjarrat quests.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Right, right, WGS was the begining of the end as far as the current gamewide storyline goes. Nomad's is more towards Temple of Ikov in storyline progression. We need to not look at this as an individual quest, but part of a serries that's taking time away from giving us piffanderioussomethingish.

This. I really cannot understand the complaints that this quest was lacking in plot or storyline. This quest has huge implications for future Mahjarrat quests.

+1

We are exposed to a completely different outlook on the majharrat storyline. From the dialogues we can conclude that Lucien is probably Nomad's old master, and sent the dark knights to kill him. This makes us ask whether nomad is actually our friend, if he is Lucien's enemy. This might be why he said, "You have doomed this world [to Lucien?]". The only reason he attacks us is because we intrude in on his lair, at the request of an imp. No plot? Think again tbh.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

Right, right, WGS was the begining of the end as far as the current gamewide storyline goes. Nomad's is more towards Temple of Ikov in storyline progression. We need to not look at this as an individual quest, but part of a serries that's taking time away from giving us piffanderioussomethingish.

Prifddinas?

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

+1

We are exposed to a completely different outlook on the majharrat storyline. From the dialogues we can conclude that Lucien is probably Nomad's old master, and sent the dark knights to kill him. This makes us ask whether nomad is actually our friend, if he is Lucien's enemy. This might be why he said, "You have doomed this world [to Lucien?]". The only reason he attacks us is because we intrude in on his lair, at the request of an imp. No plot? Think again tbh.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, without accusing people of skipping through the quest. And on the topic of alliances, Lucien could actually end up being our ally depending on what he plans to do with his power.

Tip: Use a combo of Ruby bolts (e) and Diamond bolts (e). Only use Ruby ones when you know you are safe from the 75 or HP-1 attacks. use Diamond (e) the rest of the time. they are expensive but you only need about 100 of them to take him down. Worth spending more on one attempt than failing over and over trying to kill him without.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

+1

This is exactly what I was trying to say, without accusing people of skipping through the quest. And on the topic of alliances, Lucien could actually end up being our ally depending on what he plans to do with his power.

He wants to become a God and strives for Chaos, and we tried to get in his way for obtaining the stone and has set tormented demons on us...I dunno, I got a feeling he may want to kill us. To death.

"Kill nomad"

"Ok"

Hm, let's sum WGS up in this same way too, paying no attention to any other part of the story either:

"Hey noble adventurer, this dude you already killed in another quest is trying to take over the world. You might wanna stop him"

"Ok"

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

"Kill nomad"

"Ok"

Hm, let's sum WGS up in this same way too, paying no attention to any other part of the story either:

"Hey noble adventurer, this dude you already killed in another quest is trying to take over the world. You might wanna stop him"

"Ok"

Mind telling my what part of the story you're referring to?

I think his point is that anyone can go summarize a solid storyline, like WGS, in two lines like you did for Nomad's Requiem, making it look worse than it is.

"Ok"

That's the very, very basic version of what you were asked to do. Within that however, you find out so much about the history of Lucien, Movario, the Stone of Jas, etc.

Same thing with Nomad's Requiem.

"Kill nomad"

"Ok"

Sure, even though that's not exactly what Zimberfizz wanted, it's essentially what the overall drive of the quest was, but throughout our time in his lair we see so much revealed (already discussed).

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

"Kill nomad"

"Ok"

"Ok"

Mind telling my what part of the story you're referring to?

I thought he's pretty clear on that. Lucien's up to something, kill him.

A lot of background story were pumped into WGS, which is great if you bother to read everything in detail, but otherwise would have been pretty weird to have Lucien being the key character in the GM quest when the pre-requisite quests don't seem to have a strong link to it (except Temple of Ikov). Throughout the quest I had fun learning a great deal about Movario and Lucien, including looking up on them on older quests first to find out who the hell are they :blink: , especially Movario.

And to MHL, it's not like Jagex didn't inform you about the how short Nomad's Requiem would be. The quest length stated for Nomad's Requiem was already stated as 'Medium', which is comparable to how long the quest actually was excluding repeated tries to kill Nomad. I don't think Jagex has said anything about how GM quests must always being heavily plot driven. If Nomad was to be an important character in future quests, this way of introducing him would have been more vivid than the way Lucien was introduced in Temple of Ikov.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Well I am convinced now of my utter noobiness!!

As an older Rs player I love quests but am a bit slower at the fight parts :blink:

I am a lvl 131 and I am now on my 5th try at Nomad. I just dont seem to be hitting him very well. Firstly, I tried BGS and failed spec totally, then I tried ranging only with ruby (e)'s still not much cop. I now think I will stick to my whip and use ruby's on freeze only? I also need to try hiding from the 75's which as yet I have not really done.

Any help for an old biddy would be much appreciated.

Forgot to add: I am only 72 summ so can only use war tort.

I also dont think I am potting/restoring correctly even though I aim for 3:1 - but again, being an old bird I tend to panic a bit!!!

NickyNooodle.png

Tip: Use a combo of Ruby bolts (e) and Diamond bolts (e). Only use Ruby ones when you know you are safe from the 75 or HP-1 attacks. use Diamond (e) the rest of the time. they are expensive but you only need about 100 of them to take him down. Worth spending more on one attempt than failing over and over trying to kill him without.

Thanks man

I'm going in.... I may be gone a while...

Rozanante.png

Rozanante.png

Still the proud owner of Quest Cape since 8th December 2007

All skills used to be 70 or higher. (Dang you Dungeoneering. Oh wait, it's not a skill...)

Drops: Whips 8, Black Mask 8, D/Skirt 1, D/Spear 1, D/Shield Left Half 1, D/Boots 12, G/Maul 4, Range Ammy 1, Hexcrest 1.

Well, there do is something that disappoints me with the recent quests and it is the lack of creativity. And with creativity I mean things like using a seagull with a selfmade cannon to get the attention of a prisoner (yeah, you get the link). During NR we just see some pillars, we need to move/rotate them, and that's it, no broken parts to fix, no statues to be sculpt, some unexpected things to overcome during the pillar puzzle. Just take a look at Haunted Mine, we manage about 6 mining tracks, just to get an illuminating mushroom into a dark room, so we could proceed through the mines. In Nomad's Requiem, we give some shots at a handle and BOOM, another arcane powerstation down.

Same for the room with the elemental beings that you had to get under the little waterfall. Ok, you had to mine away some rubble and change the waterflow a bit in the other room, but for the rest it was just taking some fuel and bait it. Instead they could have made it so that you had to tear down the fuel machine in some way, or at least had to take some effort to get to the fuel.

I can say the same about the Piety room, just get some slabs which you can find within a minute with the sole effort of running down the place. Oh yeah, and we send a fire blast to some explosive barrels that are just standed right next to the precious powerstation...

Instead of making it a bit difficult for us...

Yeah, the fight was good, and the quest has set us on a new track in the RuneScape history, but I see a lot of missed chances, not only in this quest, but in most new quests in general.