11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Fury, firecape, barrow gloves, warrior (i), black d'hide/void set, d boots/snakeskin boots and as weapons I tried things with 1)whip, ruby(e), broad 2)zammy spear and ruby(e), tried different spec weapons, but none were very efficient.

I use an inv full of 11 super restores, rest brews and a tortoise full of brews.

@Max, considering my many deaths I'm a bit uncomfortable with barrowsitems, because they break if I die, which pushes my costs also up.

I feel for you man, don't give up on it. I think you're trying too many things here. I kind of just stuck with 1 strategy (which was arma + gs) since my ranged sucks and that worked out for me. Try sticking with the 1 that got you the closest and just try again. This fight takes some luck if you don't have things like soul split, overloads or a yak (none of which I had) but it's doable.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should not be having that much difficulty with your stats. 70 tries? Ouch.

Maybe you should look at some of the suggestions made by players who have had a bit more luck and see if a change in tactics would help? For starters, if you are always ranging him, try meleeing instead.

Meleeing, ranging, hybriding, tried almost everything I can do at my levels, except a godsword and a rubber chicken. Would be great if I could get my hands on a BGS, for the special, but all 3 of my friends with an BGS sold them during this week...

Try using void, and sipping a super set/eating a rocktail at the bank before you go down.

Also, whip + defender worked better for me than a z spear.

Tact.gif

Which is better to use : piety or leech str/def/att?

I would go with piety here, leeching is too slow to activate fully and your probably want to deal the most damage at the beginning when you're not madly clicking brews/rocktails.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Really? Knocks your HP down to 1 you say? I went through the entire fight without ever dropping below 30 HP.

And how exactly did you accomplish that?

Besides a divine spirit shield, it can be done using a phoenix necklace. Technically your HP does drop below 30, but it comes right back up fast enough to not notice it. I used two of them.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

You should not be having that much difficulty with your stats. 70 tries? Ouch.

Maybe you should look at some of the suggestions made by players who have had a bit more luck and see if a change in tactics would help? For starters, if you are always ranging him, try meleeing instead.

Meleeing, ranging, hybriding, tried almost everything I can do at my levels, except a godsword and a rubber chicken. Would be great if I could get my hands on a BGS, for the special, but all 3 of my friends with an BGS sold them during this week...

Try using void, and sipping a super set/eating a rocktail at the bank before you go down.

Also, whip + defender worked better for me than a z spear.

Tried whip and defender in the beginning, wasn't really worth the effort for me and zammy spear stabbing works really fine (most of the times).

But there is one thing I'm still wondering about, at the 2nd option of zammy spear I also hitted greatly, so maybe another weapon with a great bonus to that kind of attack would also be a possibility. Guess I'll have to reborrow a zammy spear to check out it's name, as I forgot it.

I kind of just stuck with 1 strategy (which was arma + gs) since my ranged sucks and that worked out for me.

Since his attacks are mage based, arma seems like a really good idea, but I would like a clarification before I start experimenting myself. When he goes into "zerker" mode, does he switch to "true melee," or is it still mage-based melee? True melee would crush me wearing arma.

punitivedsig.png

Really? Knocks your HP down to 1 you say? I went through the entire fight without ever dropping below 30 HP.

Besides a divine spirit shield, it can be done using a phoenix necklace. Technically your HP does drop below 30, but it comes right back up fast enough to not notice it. I used two of them.

Phoenix necklace.. clever idea, if that's what he did. The rest of his argument is still cabbage of course. ;)

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Hunter, congrats!

The huge disparity between all of your narrow deaths and this absolute whomping certainly supports the thought that luck plays an inordinately large role here.

Welcome to RuneScape.

Hunter, congrats!

The huge disparity between all of your narrow deaths and this absolute whomping certainly supports the thought that luck plays an inordinately large role here.

Or maybe the bgs is just that important? Seems to me this fight basically is a race -- can you do enough damage to him before you run out of healing? If the bgs spec knocks his defense down enough so that you do a lot more damage, this could make all the difference in the world.

punitivedsig.png

Hunter, congrats!

Or maybe the bgs is just that important? Seems to me this fight basically is a race -- can you do enough damage to him before you run out of healing? If the bgs spec knocks his defense down enough so that you do a lot more damage, this could make all the difference in the world.

I did it without a bgs. Whip and ruby bolts(e) FTW!

But I do think that the bgs spec might really turn the battle in your favor.

priest_wiz.png

Here's how I finally managed to do it... Took me about 10 tries to figure out the strategy that would work for me, and 3 tries to actually make it happen :thumbsup:

My stats: Combat 123, Str, Att and Def 90, HP 92, Ranged 85, Prayer 78, Summ 79.

Armour: Armadyl platebody, Armadyl platelegs, Robin hat, Ranger boots, Barrows Gloves, Dragonfire shield, Amulet of Fury, Archer ring, Ava's accumulator, Rune Crossbow

Supplies: 100 ruby bolts(e) in your quiver, 100 diamond bolts(e) in backpack, Tortoise filled with tuna potatoes, 2 range pots, 5 tuna potatoes, 15 sara brews and 5 super restores.

Tactics: Autoretaliate off so you will be able to hide behind a pillar without being dragged out. Prayer eagle eye and Steel skin on. Pot up range pot and start the fight. In the beginning I used food the most, save the brews/restores for later or when needed to restore prayer. Grab extra food from tortoise when there's time and some space in your backpack.

Once Nomad lays down the red mines, move to the south, just outside the minefield and range him from there. Then, the moment he warns you in the chat window, run behind a pillar and dodge the 75hp attack. This may take some training to figure out which spot is best to use for hiding. Then immediately run back from behind the pillar and continue the attack.

When the clones come, switch to diamond bolts. (Because ruby bolts will not hurt a clone, but it will cost you hitpoints if the special hits) . Nomad will attack slightly later than his clones. That's how you can figure out which one is the real one. When the clones are gone, switch back to ruby bolts.

When Nomad freezes you to perform his devastating max-1 attack, use sara brews to raise your hitpoints to well above maximum and switch to diamond bolts. You don't want to receive damage from your own special just when you need to be at max hitpoints!!

Repeat all of the above until Nomad switches to his fast melee attacks. At that point, also add protect from melee prayer and switch on auto-retaliate. Eat and/or use brews when needed. When you have little food left, it's probably best to switch to diamond bolts.

I sometimes took one sip of the ranger potion after his 75hp attack and always after i restored from the max-1 attack. I saved 1 sip of the ranger potion for the end of the fight, when Nomad switched to fast melee attacks.

After killing Nomad I had 3 brews and 1 super restore left. Am I a happy camper now? You betcha!! :P

Xena_Dragon.png

nomaddead.png

I did absolutely terrible but still managed to defeat him on my first try. I was lucky multiple times, I got comboed and had to spam brew at like 5 hp left, I hit a ruby bolt spec at the same time he hit 98 on me (think only the phoenix necklace saved me), I lost attack turns as I didn't have auto retaliate on and had to drop vials and ran into a mine. :P I just tanked all his hits really and kept changing between prayers as I wasn't sure which was the best.

I still had 6 brews left in my tortoise at the end.

imagangster.png

Just beat nomad now! After 13 failed tries and 3m down the drain, Nomad finally fell to the ground. It was honestly luck, as with the same gear or better setups, I have managed to red-bar him 4 or 5 times so far, but ended up being ko'd myself :/ It was definitely by FAR the hardest fight I've ever done, partially because it seems like luck plays almost too large a role in this fight....

For anyone that needs help killing Nomad, no matter how late it is, if you run in a line, directly south, there's always a hole in the ring of mines around you, so you can safely evade the mines, and dodge behind the pillar to avoid taking any damage from his 75-hit attack. Also, the clones can be dodged by the same way: hide behind the pillar and wait for around 30 seconds (after that, the clones tele out, and nomad rushes to you. get in his melee range IMMEDIATELY, or you'll be forced to restart the fight). I also found it helpful to NOT risk attacking Nomad when he does his max hp-1 attack, as I have died four times so far thanks to ruby (e) bolts spec activating the same time as Nomad's killer attack hits me. -.- Also, when he gets to low hitpoints, turn on protect from melee before he goes into zerker mode, because once he does that, he can hit up to 30s very very rapidly (im talking about speed of throwing knives or faster) NOTE: 160+ melee def seems to help a lot in stopping his zerker mode attacks, because in full d hide + zammy book, he essentially never missed a single zerker mode attack, but with d sq shield + d hide, he missed a good fair bit.

Capt_Davy.png AbandonnedHeroKeyer25.png

Hunter, congrats!

Welcome to RuneScape.

Let me rephrase that.

Welcome to real life.

Phoenix necklace.. clever idea, if that's what he did. The rest of his argument is still cabbage of course. ;)

So if I disagree on how to measure difficulty, my entire argument is cabbage. I see how it is. How then, do you measure difficulty? Do you draw yourself an arbitrary "typical" player including available equipment, supplies, and skills?

Runsecape is a game in which there are many ways one account differs from another. I feel it's inaccurate and biased to measure it to a specific level, so I simply measure it to every player's potential. And I believe difficulty in Runescape is a combination of the cost and time of the actual challenge, and the risk it poses. In other words, if a boss takes longer to kill, it's harder. If it costs less to kill, it's easier. If it has a high chance of killing you, then it's harder.

This is how I measure difficulty, and by these metrics, and my own experiences, the Nomad is easier than the Avatar. You can feel free to measure difficulty in your own imaginative way, but I'd ask you to at the very least respect the fact that other people can have different opinions than you.

Hunter, congrats!

I can tell you without reservation that my eighth attempt, which was successful, was the first attempt in which I pulled my strategy off perfectly. Don't belittle the achievements of others.

EDIT: Sorry, I should say near perfectly, as I didn't get my brew to restore ratio exactly right.

dgs5.jpg

So if I disagree on how to measure difficulty, my entire argument is cabbage. I see how it is. How then, do you measure difficulty? Do you draw yourself an arbitrary "typical" player including available equipment, supplies, and skills?

Runsecape is a game in which there are many ways one account differs from another. I feel it's inaccurate and biased to measure it to a specific level, so I simply measure it to every player's potential. And I believe difficulty in Runescape is a combination of the cost and time of the actual challenge, and the risk it poses. In other words, if a boss takes longer to kill, it's harder. If it costs less to kill, it's easier. If it has a high chance of killing you, then it's harder.

This is how I measure difficulty, and by these metrics, and my own experiences, the Nomad is easier than the Avatar. You can feel free to measure difficulty in your own imaginative way, but I'd ask you to at the very least respect the fact that other people can have different opinions than you.

There's opinion, then there's cabbage.

cliffside1ra5.png

Soma's opinion is perfectly valid. He's a very high level player, so beating the monsters isn't the problem; rather, it's the supplies used that dictate - for him - which monster required more effort (or money). For me, personally, the Avatar was much easier than Nomad. I used Piety and a Saradomin Godsword (thanks, Nate). I was able to get to the second and third roots before him. The first root took me by surprise.

Once you reach a certain point in this game, difficulty becomes a matter of cost rather than skill. Nomad eliminated that rule for all but the most elite of players. I think they're still waiting on a monster that can truly best even them.

dgs5.jpg

Okay, then let's re-ask the question.

Which was harder soma, the Avatar or Nomad?

He's already answered that. Multiple times, actually. Again, you can't really compare his experiences to you or I, Grasle.

By the way, your post helped me beat Nomad. Thanks for the tip about hiding behind the pillars during his illusion stage. :thumbup:

dgs5.jpg

Finally got it, actually bought a BGS just for this lol, got very lucky with the specs (36-49) and was down to 1.5 brews when he started going berserk.

Got 95 def and str as well as 130 combat so it was all worth it :) Plus I even profited on the bgs, bought for 27.5 and sold for 28 lol.

Okay, then let's re-ask the question.

Which was harder, the Avatar or Nomad?

Oh gosh, Nomad of course. It took me one try with the Avatar, and around 10 with Nomad.

Just put on semi-decent range gear and range him. You could even ignore the roots if you want. You could use Ruby Bolts(e) for some fun with +150 hits. The Avatar has very low KO potential if you use melee protection or if you safespot him (which is ridiculously easy given his size). With Ruby Bolts, you might lose around 40 (with accumulator of course) of them if you never kill the roots, which is about 50k. You could use Bone Bolts and make the fight go on longer but almost eliminate any cost or danger. It's very easy to AFK the whole fight, and there's virtually no cost or danger. It just takes a bit of time. I'd compare its danger and length to ranging a black dragon with ~60 range.

Nomad is just way more powerful. Prayer is useless for all but the last part, he can hit a lot harder than the Avatar, he can freeze you, and he can talk.

Also, he isn't too hard. People have beaten him at under 110 combat. It just takes a bit of knowledge.

Also, if anyone didn't see: http://forum.tip.it/topic/255428-11-jan-2010-nomads-requiem/page__st__520__p__4054623__fromsearch__1entry4054623

Oh, and goddammit I am getting an Abyssal Minion. They're just so pwnage. I need a head first, though.

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.