11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Anyone tried Vengeance? Lol.

I thought about it, but figured 69 extra HP from Rockfish, or 192 HP from Brews would be much more worthwhile. Although if anything, using vengeance every time he hits the 75 or 98 might be sort of useful. However, they just about even each other out.

It would be worth a try though if you can't seem to do it any other way.

Stellactic.gif

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rewards could use a boost, sorta bad imo, 70k slayer and a cape worse than fire

boss needs to be way harder

1. more def

2. ruby max at 75 is fine

3. less charging time on big attacks

4. around 1500 hp

5. his normal attacks max around 30, make that 35-40

make a decent reward that doesnt ruin fight caves, like the ability to upgrade firecape with the prayer bonus, or add fire capes str to this somehow

100 zeal

No.

That cape is much better than a fire cape in many situations, including just about every situation where you need to protect pray constantly, or even if you're using piety/turmoil constantly.

This is the way it should be. Different capes for different situations. You have your Skill capes to show off with, your fire cape for strength bonus, your ardy cape 3 for corpie, or anytime you need stab, and your IBN cape for prayer. Why people think that one armor/weapon/cape should be the best in every situation is beyond me. RS needs more options, were different capes have different bonuses. This is an excellent addition.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

1. more def

4. around 1500 hp

make a decent reward that doesnt ruin fight caves, like the ability to upgrade firecape with the prayer bonus, or add fire capes str to this somehow

100 zeal

No.

That cape is much better than a fire cape in many situations, including just about every situation where you need to protect pray constantly, or even if you're using piety/turmoil constantly.

This is the way it should be. Different capes for different situations. You have your Skill capes to show off with, your fire cape for strength bonus, your ardy cape 3 for corpie, or anytime you need stab, and your IBN cape for prayer. Why people think that one armor/weapon/cape should be the best in every situation is beyond me. RS needs more options, were different capes have different bonuses. This is an excellent addition.

sacrificing str always = sadface though

1. more def

4. around 1500 hp

100 zeal

No.

sacrificing str always = sadface though

Not always. After all, what if you're ranging/maging?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Well today I tried a different approach, I set my inv and armor up based purely on suggestions for other people. I got a lot farther when I was doing my own thing, I think I'll revert back to that. Yes I tried using the pillar dodge trick, still got farther tanking him with sap mage, sap range, and deflect melee. Too bad he doesn't take damage from deflect. Oh and to the responses he doesn't get affected by protection prayers, I disagree. I tried a run today without deflect melee and the damage I took and how often I got hit was a really noticeable difference. I think instead of switching attack styles with you like the balance elemental or the mother I think he alternates between all three forms in a pattern. I don't have any proof of this but if he does this quest will will be easier.

Still a single boss fight does not a grandmaster make. Jagex has made us to expect a story, difficult puzzles, a good selection of music to go with the quest, setting the mood for the moment, and decent rewards. I'm not usually one to [bleep] about rewards but looking at those rewards for this 'grandmaster', wow. Yes since WGS is the only other grandmaster quest it gets compared to it. I can even forgive everything else about a quest if the story is good and the music is good.

Ok so I died 8 times and I tried ruby bolts(e) 7 out of those 9 times, the other 2 I used a whip. I finally decided after seeing everyone saying z spear was the way to go I tried it and guess what.... It rips the nomad to shreds. I killed him using 27 rocktail (a lot but still better then using 30 brews instead which happened every time I ranged I ran out of brews) and two prayer potions. I wore full d hide, ardy cape 3, z spear, barrows gloves, d boots, glory and no ring. I brought 4 prayer potions, 1 super set, full inventory of rocktails, unicorn scrolls, one unicorn pouch, and filled my tortoise with rocktail. I just tanked him for all of his attacks EXCEPT the one that hits 75. When he said "lets make things interesting I ran behind the pillar so he would run close to me and I could attack him right next to the pillar. Then when he says "you can't hide from my wrath" (he teleports close to his chair when he says this) run behind the pillar again ,heal/pot if you need to, and his attack will miss you. Once he goes into crazy mode just put on protect from melee and piety/turmoil and tank the rest.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I prayed soul split and turmoil for the entire fight other than the crazy mode part. I can't imagine how hard he is without soul split tbh <_< well at least I'd have more trouble with him I'm sure some people without soul split did it easily somehow.

This fight is very hard but after a few tries you figure it out then it's pretty easy actually.

The hidden horrible part of this quest is that it feeds into the general arrogance and selfishness of the runescape population.

You mean the people who think the world revolves around them keeping their precious silly capes? Couldn't agree more. ;)

This quest is orders of magnitude more difficult than the next hardest quest, and yet those that squeak by can't wait to brag about not knowing what the whole fuss is about. It's absolutely insane. The few who stand apart to admit we are struggling are labeled as "trolls" because we disagree with the swift and unaligned expectation of a quest which totally changes the spirit of a game we've spent the last five years playing.

This is silly.

The people who are saying it isn't that big of a deal recognize the realities here:

1. You do not need the maxed stats and other achievements that some claim; there are plenty of people with moderately high stats doing this quest;

2. Those who beat the guy do so generally because they take the time to try different strategies and use the clues that are given; and

3. They understand that any boss that you can try an infinite number of times without losing anything but a few potions cannot be considered that tough a challenge. If you can't beat the guy, try again some other way.

And, naturally, there is little support, as anyone who's already beaten it can't wait to remind us of how obviously incompetent, unskilled, stupid, or just generally bad people we must be for disagreeing.

Quite the collection of straw men there.

I don't hear anyone calling those who can't beat the quest "bad people" or whatnot. But anyone with stats like yours who can't beat this quest *is* lacking in the skills relevant to this aspect of the game. The solution to that is to improve your skills.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

He is *really* easy to beat with maxed melees and soul split. Honestly, all you do is stand there the WHOLE TIME and attack him. I never ran, or anything, even though I knew I could. I loved the fight, I thought it was fun.

I have respect for those lower levels who finished the quest. For them, it would be really hard I can imagine.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

By the way, it's kind of ironic to see so much whining over the Nomad, who was beaten the very first day of the quest's release within mere hours, when the next browser tab I have open is a page on another forum, wondering how long it will be until someone figures out how to hurt the new Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep Secret Boss. It's been a week or so since the game has been made available, and no one has even found out how to cause visible damage to the secret boss.

Dagannoth Kings? Started dropping dead within 20 minutes of the update. God Wars? See Dagannoth Kings. Corporeal Beast? Everyone freaked out for about an hour, a few monster scans were taken, then he was stormed by an army. Jad was tricky, for a day perhaps.

Just curious -- do level boosters allow you to meet the requirements for this?

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

The cape is a fabulous reward, totally appropriate and well balanced for the difficulty of the quest.

Also, I noticed that the bomb attack does absolutely nothing if you don't move, wonder if that's intentional or a bug...

Great update in my opinion, although I wish the quest had a little more plot depth.

Hope to see more bosses like this in the future, or even these types of dynamics applied to normal monsters.

And to all the ranters, honestly, for the time, skill, and money spent, the reward is pretty fair.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

The cape is a fabulous reward, totally appropriate and well balanced for the difficulty of the quest.

Also, I noticed that the bomb attack does absolutely nothing if you don't move, wonder if that's intentional or a bug...

Great update in my opinion, although I wish the quest had a little more plot depth.

Hope to see more bosses like this in the future, or even these types of dynamics applied to normal monsters.

And to all the ranters, honestly, for the time, skill, and money spent, the reward is pretty fair.

I think it was intentional. It's there to remind you to keep calm, which I didn't do my first round against Nomad. When he started charging, I ran away... across the mine field. :-D

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

The bomb attack DOES do something, if you let it. It traps you so you can't run/hide from his 75 hit attack. That, in my opinion, is the whole point of the bombs dropping around you. Without the bombs dropping you could just run/hide, even though you can anyway. The bombs just make it a little harder.

For those who haven't been able to defeat him I'll post my inventory/outfit here when I log in and edit it in here. My stats are in my signature.

EDIT: Here you go;

My Equipment:

Equipment.png

Sub the Quest Cape for an Obsidian Cape, add an Archer's Ring and I brought 400 Ruby Bolts (e)

My Inventory:

Inventory.png

I also had a War Tortoise full of nothing but Saradomin Brew (4)s.

I ranged the ENTIRE time. I used the pillar trick on the 75 attack hits. When he makes the 3 clones of himself (the 3 clones plus 1 real Nomad) just watch to see which of the 4 is the LAST to hit you, that will be the real Nomad, every time. Also, I'm not sure how many people have thought of this but always (if using brews/restores) keep your HP up enough so you can refill it within two/three doses of a Saradomin Brew. If not then your stats will get too low and a single drink of a Super Restore won't restore them enough to make hitting Nomad worth it.

I hope this helps at least somebody who is having trouble with Nomad.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

15-16-121-60211564

Wearing a quest cape will eventually become more challenging than any skill cape.

I thought that was very interesting.

To tell you the truth, that was actualy quite obvious, I just didn't think it would be so soon.

Quests' requirements are increased a little every month or so- obviously at some point the exp needed in different skills would exceed that of skillcapes. And then there's challenge, after Nomad we should be expecting (atleast IMO) harder bosses, and thus should be developing both our combat stats (which contribues to the exp needed for quests), and our strategies, to better suit the title of the cape. These 2 are all it takes to realize that at some point the Quest Cape will become the hardest challenge the game has to offer.

"It's too hard! Could you make it easier/give us some hints?"

From the Developer's mouth:

"Too hard? Nomad is too easy! I wanted him to be much harder! Nomad himself will give you all the hints you need to defeat him while you battle him, so pay close attention to what is happening during the fight!"

"Will you be "nerfing" Nomad?"

No.

Hell Yeah!

You want strong bosses? Fine. Just keep them out of quests. Give them drops, make them team stuff, whatever. I like to quest for stories, not stuff like an Imp telling me I gotta defeat him.

Anyone else have an issue with that plothole? Does anything else thinks it's dumb the reasons for us fighting him? Just a vague idea of good and evil and an Imp telling us to?

Any good quest needs a good boss at the end. It makes the quest feel accomplished. :P Quests have bosses and will have bosses in the future, no matter what.

This is a side quest for a new mahjarrat quest, obviously. I do see where you are coming from though.

reward was kind of lame though 415k prayer xp =P

Yeah a cape better then a trimmed skillcape, 400k+ exp and a new respawn point are lame rewards. We should just get the dragon kiteshield from the imp as a reward for no reason at all. That would have been a much better reward. [/sarcasm]

I don't know what all the fuss is about, I killed him without touching any of the 30 brews my yak was holding. Yes, overloads and soul split helps but it doesn't make that much difference.

Jagex really can't win with you people. For years they have released almost nothing but low to mid level content and everyone complained. However in the last few months we have had genuine high level content (e.g. Ardy Elite Diary, Extreme Pots, and now this quest) and everyone complains that it's too difficult.

Yak, Soul Split and overloads dont make much of a difference? Are you kidding me? It makes all the difference in the world. Its the main reason you dont understand what all the fuss IS about.

The hidden horrible part of this quest is that it feeds into the general arrogance and selfishness of the runescape population. This quest is orders of magnitude more difficult than the next hardest quest, and yet those that squeak by can't wait to brag about not knowing what the whole fuss is about. It's absolutely insane. The few who stand apart to admit we are struggling are labeled as "trolls" because we disagree with the swift and unaligned expectation of a quest which totally changes the spirit of a game we've spent the last five years playing.

And, naturally, there is little support, as anyone who's already beaten it can't wait to remind us of how obviously incompetent, unskilled, stupid, or just generally bad people we must be for disagreeing.

To those struggling, the only thing more obnoxious than those that ignore the key points of the argument that this is a horrible update would be the people who only post to add how the boss is "actually quite easy" or no big deal.

You just can't compete with abject, isolationist and indirect arrogance, I suppose.

Meow to you too.

I think it was hard. Its probably the hardest fight ive done in RS. I admit I was struggling, it was anything but easy. Little support? Thats bull. There are lots of people helping out on this thread, giving strategies and inventory setups.

These 2 are all it takes to realize that at some point the Quest Cape will become the hardest challenge the game has to offer.

I look forward to the challenge. :)

You want strong bosses? Fine. Just keep them out of quests. Give them drops, make them team stuff, whatever. I like to quest for stories, not stuff like an Imp telling me I gotta defeat him.

Anyone else have an issue with that plothole? Does anything else thinks it's dumb the reasons for us fighting him? Just a vague idea of good and evil and an Imp telling us to?

Any good quest needs a good boss at the end. It makes the quest feel accomplished. :P Quests have bosses and will have bosses in the future, no matter what.

This is a side quest for a new mahjarrat quest, obviously. I do see where you are coming from though.

While they need a nice boss they need a story too.

"Hey go kill Nomad, because he might be evil"

"Ok"

That's our big grandmaster storyline. Maybe i'm just old fashioned this way but I expect puzzles, plot, and hard fights in one.

Den,

When I speak of "little support", I'm not speaking of the tips/advice. There is an incredible abundance there, usually starting with "use soul split, turmoil, and overload potions...". I am referring to the fact that when someone opposes the view that it's a great idea to have a quest boss that is unavoidable who cannot be defeated by those without some combination of incredible skill, equipment, or luck, they are attacked wholesale.

Qeltar,

Read the thread if you -really- feel that it's a strawman argument to say that those who dislike this update are treated with scathing attacks. It's simple and selfish: if you were able to beat this, then it's not too hard and screw everyone else. It's the others who haven't been so fortunate that must be in the wrong.

This argument of course has two faces in that you could posit that I would say the same; since I haven't been able to beat it then it must be too hard, but consider this update objectively. This is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more difficult than any other quest challenge before. It is not a simple step up from a boss from RFD, WGS, etc. This is a wholesale change in the expectations heaped upon players who wish to enjoy and continue exploring the central storyline of the game. Based upon the disappearance of Nomad at the end, it's safe to assume Jagex will build upon this update.

The person who argued that this is nowhere near as difficult as the secret boss in KH makes my point for me. That is a SECRET boss, and not something core to the storyline. I have no problem with the difficulty of Nomad on his own, but to have him as a roadblock in the evolution of quests is outrageous. Were he on his own somewhere, like Bork, the Skeletal Monster, Corporeal Beast, KQ, KBD, etc., there would be no argument.

stormveritas.png

The bomb attack DOES do something, if you let it. It traps you so you can't run/hide from his 75 hit attack. That, in my opinion, is the whole point of the bombs dropping around you. Without the bombs dropping you could just run/hide, even though you can anyway. The bombs just make it a little harder.

There is always a gap in the south of the bombs that is perfectly safe to run through.

I used this so I could carry on ranging him while hes dropping the bombs, then as soon as the text comes up meaning he's about to charge for the 75 attack, run south then to the pillar.

Your method was the same as mine though :)

screenshot041aoj0.jpg

Yeah, Storm is very much so right. You should see what was heaped onto me, though I'll admit it was greater because people generally find me annoying to begin with, but I was on the lookout for people coming at me with nails, hammers, and some wood.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Read the thread if you -really- feel that it's a strawman argument to say that those who dislike this update are treated with scathing attacks.

Everyone who says anything around here gets attacked. It's just the nature of a community comprised mainly of anonymous male teenagers. I don't see anything out of the ordinary here.

The entire argument from your side boils down to "this is difficult so make it easier". What sort of reaction do you expect? I would give anyone who took that attitude a hard time, here or in real life. I certainly wouldn't let my kids get away with it if I knew they could do something and they just refused to work at it.

It's simple and selfish: if you were able to beat this, then it's not too hard and screw everyone else. It's the others who haven't been so fortunate that must be in the wrong.

This can just as easily be reversed to say that those who found it too hard and want it nerfed are being simple and selfish as well.

This is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE more difficult than any other quest challenge before. It is not a simple step up from a boss from RFD, WGS, etc. This is a wholesale change in the expectations heaped upon players who wish to enjoy and continue exploring the central storyline of the game. Based upon the disappearance of Nomad at the end, it's safe to assume Jagex will build upon this update.

I've already said I think this is a poor excuse for a quest, because it lacks any storyline and is frankly too simplistic.

But there's nothing inherently wrong with making a tough boss even if it's tougher than what has been before. We NEED new challenges in the game, players have been asking for them forever, and Jagex is delivering. Maybe not exactly how you want, but that's life.

Be honest, though. How many times have you tried this? Have you even attempted to explore different ways of killing the guy?

And how much of this is about the quest versus the stupid cape?

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png