11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Nomad seems like a good boss to me. Minimum requirements are probably like 78 combats (for pvp gear, probably possible without but you have to get lucky) and 70 pray/66 summoning, pretty grandmaster-worthy requirements if you ask me. Anyone under that has to train, and anyone who has either overloads/yak/soul split+turmoil/spirit shield (or all of those) will probably find Nomad a pushover. For everyone in between, Nomad will be a fun and challenging boss fight, maybe wasting quite some supplies in the process but I guess finally beating him after a few tries gives some satisfaction.

2dvjurb.png

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is there any news on the lowest level that has completed this quest? I can imagine this becomes one of those achievements like killing Jad at lvl 40 or something. I hope I can complete this quest soon, the XP will be very useful as well as the cape which will OWN at Spiritual Mages and Black Demons ^^

Nomad seems like a good boss to me. Minimum requirements are probably like 78 combats (for pvp gear, probably possible without but you have to get lucky) and 70 pray/66 summoning, pretty grandmaster-worthy requirements if you ask me. Anyone under that has to train, and anyone who has either overloads/yak/soul split+turmoil/spirit shield (or all of those) will probably find Nomad a pushover. For everyone in between, Nomad will be a fun and challenging boss fight, maybe wasting quite some supplies in the process but I guess finally beating him after a few tries gives some satisfaction.

I have soul split+turmoil and I didn't find him as a pushover at all. He was very hard until I realized that ruby bolts suck compared to zammy spear on him. I died 8 times fighting him with ruby bolts and died once with z spear. It was fun and still challenging. He's the kind of boss that takes practice to fight not necessary just skills, skills are a big factor but practice helps a lot.

Sorry soma, but your position on the avatar simply makes no sense to me. How can you seriously compare a guy who knocks your HP down to 1 on a routine basis and hits you for hundreds of damage that you need to heal, with a monster whose damage can be completely avoided with a few prayer potions?

The only thing that the avatar challenged for me was my ability to stay awake.

Yeah it seems like an enormous exxageration...

The avatar was the last "puzzle" I finished off, then I went straight into the throne room completely unprepared, wearing the same gear and inv I used to kill the avatar. I got owned in 6 seconds. Seriously? Avatar harder than nomad? Maybe more time consuming but harder? LOL.

I have maxxed melees and I finished off nomad with zero sharks and zero brews left with 50 HP. Yeah I don't have overloads, spirit shields, or pack yak but you know what? I'm glad of that. It allowed me to get a taste of how hard he actually is for the average quester, instead of leaving me with a smug attitude like all those who did it with such privileged gear.

Looking at your stats, you probably had Extremes and Turmoil, correct? Not exactly the average quester.

77 herb? No extremes. Turmoil, yes. But I ranged, so that wouldn't have done much lol. And I was an idiiot and used deflect instead of soul split.

And btw, that's why I said a taste of how hard it was for the average quester. Being maxed and still burning through all that food; obviously it's going to be a lot tougher on other people.

Sorry soma, but your position on the avatar simply makes no sense to me. How can you seriously compare a guy who knocks your HP down to 1 on a routine basis and hits you for hundreds of damage that you need to heal, with a monster whose damage can be completely avoided with a few prayer potions?

Really? Knocks your HP down to 1 you say? I went through the entire fight without ever dropping below 30 HP.

Nomad has two things going for him, his decent HP, and his high DPS. The first makes the fight drag on a little bit, but not too terribly. More importantly, it helps his DPS in running you out of supplies. Finally, he has a small chance of being able to kill you.

However, good defensive gear basically nullifies his chance of killing you. He cues you to his powerful attacks pretty clearly, even offering first-timers a hint on how to survive ("You can't hide from this!" or "How much can you take!?") He gives you time to read, comprehend, and react. Just by paying attention to this, his ability to actually just kill you outright is nullified entirely. His next advantage is DPS draining your supplies. Well, guess what? As my own experiences, and the video I posted earlier prove, having high end defensive options significantly mitigates this. Go look at the pictures thread, where fairly low level players have been able to beat Nomad. In other words, as significant a hurdle this is, it can be beaten. Once it is, the Nomad is a pushover entirely.

In comparison, there is absolutely no way to counteract the Avatar's toughness. This is why I feel he's a huge challenge. Even with the top-end offensive gear, he will cause you severe annoyance.

I measure the difficulty of boss battles in three ways: risk, cost, and annoyance. There was no risk in either battle thanks to the convenient gravestone outside (plus the fact neither boss actually got close to killing me). The cost of the prayer potions for the Avatar was greater than the Rocktails and potions I used against the Nomad, Avatar wins here. Nomad wasn't annoying at all, he was fairly easy, while Avatar was absolutely, undeniably annoying simply since he dragged on the fight so long.

If a boss costs me more to kill in both resources and time, I generally consider it more difficult.

I simply find that hard to believe.

So Nomad:

Never hit you with Wrath Spell

Never hit you with his 98.

Never hit you continuously to bring HP under 30?

Every single video of the fight shows him going through the same attack pattern, which includes him using the 98 HP attack after 3 or 4 different styles. Every single person to have posted a video has been dropped to 1 HP.

Except you, right?

Then to say you can't "overcome" Avatar of Destruction is silly, because you have. Secondly, overcoming him requires only prayer, versus the complex attack of the Nomad. Third, their starting HP is the same, and the Nomad has a higher guaranteed HP if you disrupt Avatar's healing. Fourth, there is only one form of attack for the Avatar, which can be completely blocked.

You can't AFK Nomad.

Nomad did hit me with it. 98 * 0.3 = 29.4, which means 29 damage was nullified. His max hit was therefore 69 with that attack. Seeing as he gave me like a 5 second warning, I had plenty of time to start eating Rocktails, didn't I? 100 HP (or more) - 69 is a minimum of 31 left.

Go look at that video I posted earlier, one of the first people to defeat Nomad, and one of the only to use a similar strategy to met. He doesn't get hit for 70+ either. Like me, he literally walks all over the Nomad with plenty of healing left and never nearing death.

I never said you can't overcome the Avatar himself. I said you can't bypass the difficulty. There's simply no way of getting around the fact that he has so much factoring HP. what counter do you have to high HP? High damage? But there really is no way to push your damage up past a certain point, and that point wasn't enough for me, the fight was still slow. Ruby bolts ended up getting slower DPS because of the inconsistency of specials.

You can weaken Nomad's offense to the point where it's harmless. You can't do anything about Avatar's defense, you just have to spend more time and money. And this is what I personally base difficulty on. If two monsters are both unable to kill me, the more difficult fight is the one that took longer and cost me more.

EDIT: I can't seem to fine where I posted it earlier, so I'll post it again. This is the only video I could find of someone using a strategy and setup similar to me. Keep in mind I didn't just tank the mine combo like Woox16 did.

So is there any news on the lowest level that has completed this quest? I can imagine this becomes one of those achievements like killing Jad at lvl 40 or something. I hope I can complete this quest soon, the XP will be very useful as well as the cape which will OWN at Spiritual Mages and Black Demons ^^

I'm 108 and I've completed it, but I've also seen a lvl 107.

priest_wiz.png

Soma, no offence, but I think you are generalising off your personal experience. By that, I mean that because you found it easy (and imo got lucky with not going below 30hp) you are trying to say that he is easy for everybody. When in fact, it seems he is very hard for almost everybody except you. Much like for example I found the summers end quest boss easy, most found it much harder, meaning that it was in fact hard and I either got lucky or am just good :smile:

With maxed melee, high prayer and high herblore, you also had a large advantage over most.

The thing people are trying to get you to think about is exactly what i have just stated, you got fairly lucky in what nomad hit, making it seem to you as if he was very easy, whereas, proved my massive numbers of people struggling, he is definitely not easy.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Really? Knocks your HP down to 1 you say? I went through the entire fight without ever dropping below 30 HP.

Nomad has two things going for him, his decent HP, and his high DPS. The first makes the fight drag on a little bit, but not too terribly. More importantly, it helps his DPS in running you out of supplies. Finally, he has a small chance of being able to kill you.

However, good defensive gear basically nullifies his chance of killing you. He cues you to his powerful attacks pretty clearly, even offering first-timers a hint on how to survive ("You can't hide from this!" or "How much can you take!?") He gives you time to read, comprehend, and react. Just by paying attention to this, his ability to actually just kill you outright is nullified entirely. His next advantage is DPS draining your supplies. Well, guess what? As my own experiences, and the video I posted earlier prove, having high end defensive options significantly mitigates this. Go look at the pictures thread, where fairly low level players have been able to beat Nomad. In other words, as significant a hurdle this is, it can be beaten. Once it is, the Nomad is a pushover entirely.

In comparison, there is absolutely no way to counteract the Avatar's toughness. This is why I feel he's a huge challenge. Even with the top-end offensive gear, he will cause you severe annoyance.

I measure the difficulty of boss battles in three ways: risk, cost, and annoyance. There was no risk in either battle thanks to the convenient gravestone outside (plus the fact neither boss actually got close to killing me). The cost of the prayer potions for the Avatar was greater than the Rocktails and potions I used against the Nomad, Avatar wins here. Nomad wasn't annoying at all, he was fairly easy, while Avatar was absolutely, undeniably annoying simply since he dragged on the fight so long.

If a boss costs me more to kill in both resources and time, I generally consider it more difficult.

I have to disagreet. How is annoyance a measure for how hard a boss is? I find imps annoying, as they teleport all around with 1 HP just as I'm about to kill them, does that make them hard? Not even the slightest. You'd be surprised to know how annoying Giants are, crowded 99% of the time, bah. Oh, and you wouldn't even want to hear about those pesky 'PvP' safers! So annoying! But none of these are hard. Annoyance is simply not a measure for how hard an opponent is.

In addition, you are one of few in terms of cost. Most spent a lot more fighting Nomad than they did when they fought the Avatar.

Lastly- time. That's the more contreversial of the 3, but those who got to the roots fast enough actualy made Nomad's fast last longer, even if beaten on their first try.

[hide]

[/hide]

I have to disagreet. How is annoyance a measure for how hard a boss is? I find imps annoying, as they teleport all around with 1 HP just as I'm about to kill them, does that make them hard? Not even the slightest. You'd be surprised to know how annoying Giants are, crowded 99% of the time, bah. Oh, and you wouldn't even want to hear about those pesky 'PvP' safers! So annoying! But none of these are hard. Annoyance is simply not a measure for how hard an opponent is.

In addition, you are one of few in terms of cost. Most spent a lot more fighting Nomad than they did when they fought the Avatar.

Lastly- time. That's the more contreversial of the 3, but those who got to the roots fast enough actualy made Nomad's fast last longer, even if beaten on their first try.

Okay then, so I guess we define "difficulty" differently, and that's perfectly acceptable...

Soma, no offence, but I think you are generalising off your personal experience. By that, I mean that because you found it easy (and imo got lucky with not going below 30hp) you are trying to say that he is easy for everybody. When in fact, it seems he is very hard for almost everybody except you. Much like for example I found the summers end quest boss easy, most found it much harder, meaning that it was in fact hard and I either got lucky or am just good :smile:

With maxed melee, high prayer and high herblore, you also had a large advantage over most.

The thing people are trying to get you to think about is exactly what i have just stated, you got fairly lucky in what nomad hit, making it seem to you as if he was very easy, whereas, proved my massive numbers of people struggling, he is definitely not easy.

It's not luck. Like I said, watch this video:

His strategy was very similar to mine. Note that he never got hit particularly high either. It's preparation and picking up on cues that made it easy for me, NOT luck.

[hide]

[/hide]

Okay then, so I guess we define "difficulty" differently, and that's perfectly acceptable...

Actualy it isn't, considering you're generalising off that measure, just like Danqazmlp said.

[hide]

[/hide]

Actualy it isn't, considering you're generalising off that measure, just like Danqazmlp said.

Actually, the only reason I'm still posting is that Stormveritas posted a quite scathing post which I interpreted as "Gah I can't beat Nomad anyone who says they felt it was easy is an arrogant troll." That's the only reason I felt the need to make quite clear why I feel it was easy.

I guess part of it also stems from experience in other games, where artificial difficulty versus real difficulty is all too common a subject matter. Simply put, there's difficulty there's utterly no way to get around, that adds little to no value, and there's difficulty that requires thinking, planning, and sometimes grinding in a specific manner (getting a good item(s), or getting a specific level). The Avatar is an example of artificial difficulty - they cram on another five hundred hitpoints because they want to make it harder, and you're just going to have to bite the bullet and do another five hundred damage. Nomad is an example of "real" difficulty. However, the actually difficulty level is low since the puzzles and strategies are easy to figure out.

If you disagree, that's really fine with me. I'm only annoyed because someone found it necessary to criticize my perspective, and seeing as since he's beaten Nomad himself, Storm seems to be a lot kinder for it, I guess either I misinterpreted the post, or perhaps it was just a side-effect of frustration, which nearly everyone experiences then and there.

Anyways, seeing as it's past and buried, I'm just going to let it drop and leave it with the fact that I think it's easy, you can think it's hard or whatever else you would like, and these are all genuine opinions.

Here's the details of how I did Nomad:

Relevant Stats: Att, def, str, hp all = 90, Range = 80, Summon = 86, Pray 73, Combat lvl 123.

Kit: Helm of Neitiznot, black d-hide body, black d-hide chaps, barrows gloves, archer ring, rune crossbow, legends cape, mind sheild, fury amulet, dragon boots, ruby bolts(e) (It took me <100 bolts per attempt).

Inventory: Zamorakian spear, 11 super restores, 8 Saradomin Brews, 8 rocktails.

Beast of Burden familiar (war tortoise): 4 rocktails (at the top of the BoB), 14 Saradomin Brews.

Tactics:

1) I potted up with a range pot before I left the bank, obviously depositing the range pot back in the bank and filling the space accordingly. I had "take from BoB" set as my left click summoning option. I (quick) prayed steel skin and eagle eye from just after I first talked to Nomad, I used rapid ranged and was on auto retaliate the whole time.

2) When Nomad says "Let's make things interesting" and starts thowing bombs I ran south through the 1 square gap and switched to long range range attack.

3) When Nomad says "You cannot esape my wrath" I click to the far, diagonal side of the nearest pillar. (I typically used the west side pillar, I could see it the easiest with my compass facing north. If you take the pillar as the centre square, i.e. square 5, of a 9 square box, I stood on square 7, i.e. the south west square) This square could easily be seen from where I was standing outside the circle of bombs, so it was one click (and no compass realignment) away. Whilst stood on the square I switched back to rapid range attack.

4) When Nomad's 75 hit mage attack has splashed on the pillar I run straight out and started attacking him again, he usually had run over to me by that point, so we met in the middle.

5) Very shortly after this he does his clone special attack. I wait and shoot the last clone to attack (this is always the real Nomad as others have noted). Keep shooting him!

6) When he teleports himself and me to the centre of the room I make sure my health is well above full hp (my max with brews is 105, I got it as close to this as possible whilst not wasting a dose, keeping my hp above 100 because of potential ruby bolt special attacks was vital). Keep shooting!

7) Repeat from 2) until he hits 1/4 health for the second time! (For those not in the know, when you get Nomad to ~1/4 health he heals back to ~1/2 health). Food strategy: Up until this point I had mixed using rocktails and brews/super restores for healing. I used the rocktails as quick emergency heals and early on in the fight.

8) When Nomad goes beserk and starts hitting with melee only very fast, switch to Zamorakian spear and go toe to toe with him, switch quick prayers off (I had eagle eye and steel skin on quick prayers) and pray protect from melee and piety (not sure prot from melee does anything, maybe it reduces the frequency of his hits, I was too distrated to tell!), and switch attack style to stab with the spear.

9) Keep on trucking!

This method (with small variations in the ratio of brews:super restores: rocktails) got Nomad down to <10% health 4 times. The 4th time, I killed him with 2 doses of super restore left, no food, no brews and only 30 hp remaining. Plenty of prayer points left. In total I made 10 attempts at Nomad, of the last 4 attempts (8 on the first day, 2 today), numbers 7, 8 and 9 I got him to <10% health as mentioned. Obviously attempt 10 I got the {insert naughty word} . He didn't seem like he had been nerfed to me, he behaved, hit and took damage just like he did on the first day in my opinion. I had 6 ruby bolt specials happen in the attempt in which I beat him. That was about average.

Hope this helps someone

ADDED IN EDIT: Oh and btw this fight was (in my opinion) very hard and required a good bit of luck with his hits and mine. As you can see I had 6 attempts trying to figure him out, and 4 attempts (including the winner) where I got his health very low. All that separated a successful attempt from 3 failures was changing the ratio of brews:super restores:rocktails and getting lucky with a few hits/misses. I dodged all the 75 hp hits and never once hit a bomb from attempt 3 onwards.

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010

For those that are having difficulty with the berserker form or are running out of supplies, here's what I did:

I ranged the whole way with ruby(e)'s and void, using a tortoise to pack a total of 11 super restores and 33 sara brews. After my tortoise was empty, I summoned my fire titan.

I have 81 range, 87 hp, 80 defense, 78 prayer, and 79 summoning. I used curses - all usable leech prayers were active.

After the fight I had 3 brews and 1 restore remaining.

The entire fight I hung to the pillars, running behind one when I wanted heal in larger amounts (and running back immediately after he says "Face me!" - you don't want to restart) so as to prevent avoidable damage. Downing several pots while he's still hitting you can negate the healing completely, so make sure to do this. Also, let there be no squares between the two of you. Though he may still be hitting you, he WILL reset if you aren't standing directly next to him after he's given you the "Face me!" warning.

A special note: when he "tests your senses" with the four illusions, take advantage of that time to hide behind a pillar and heal up. Drop your vials, withdraw from your BoB, etc; do all of this now as you have plenty of time. He will not "reset," though he will eventually revert back to single form and run towards you. You will get the "Face me!" warning, so no worries.

Once I'd reached his berserk form, I semi-safespotted. I ranged him when he was stuck behind the pillar and would occasionally run up next to him and back to keep him from "resetting" to full hp. This prevented me from taking a lot of extra damage. If you have a titan, let it assist you in attacking Nomad while using some of its scrolls too - the extra healing and damage really help.

Good luck.

cliffside1ra5.png

I think there's a better way to avoid the illusion attack, although I'm not 100% sure, I only saw it 4 times so it could easily be a coincidence. For me, after Nomad summons the three illusions, he is always the last to resume attacking you. The three clones will attack at roughly the same time, and then Nomad, so I just waited until three of them attacked and attacked the last one. I'm sorry if it's old, or incorrect, this is purely off experience.

Also, I keep seeing people tank the mines, or wait until Nomad says "You can't hide from my wrath!" before running. You don't have to do that. Once he starts setting mines, you can run away and start ranging. That way, you'll have much more time to get behind the pillar. It's also fairly obvious when he's done with his attack, the mines start detonating.

I think there's a better way to avoid the illusion attack, although I'm not 100% sure, I only saw it 4 times so it could easily be a coincidence. For me, after Nomad summons the three illusions, he is always the last to resume attacking you. The three clones will attack at roughly the same time, and then Nomad, so I just waited until three of them attacked and attacked the last one. I'm sorry if it's old, or incorrect, this is purely off experience.

Also, I keep seeing people tank the mines, or wait until Nomad says "You can't hide from my wrath!" before running. You don't have to do that. Once he starts setting mines, you can run away and start ranging. That way, you'll have much more time to get behind the pillar. It's also fairly obvious when he's done with his attack, the mines start detonating.

Yeah, the illusion bit is correct.

cliffside1ra5.png

Well today I tried a different tactic, range, the whole time. I got him down to zerker state, and was out of food by then (no summon for extra food). Deflect range and sap mage were the curses I used. I used every advantage I had to me in the battle, hid from the 75 attack, the clones, and brewed over max when he charged his max hp -1 attack. 6 super restores, 8 sara brews, rest rocktail. I bought 10 spirit terrorbirds (64 summoning), any suggestions for me like what I should put in the terrorbird's inv, how I should deal with zerker form, slight modifications to my inv? (I'll just ignore it if you tell me to change my whole inv.)

Well today I tried a different tactic, range, the whole time. I got him down to zerker state, and was out of food by then (no summon for extra food). Deflect range and sap mage were the curses I used. I used every advantage I had to me in the battle, hid from the 75 attack, the clones, and brewed over max when he charged his max hp -1 attack. 6 super restores, 8 sara brews, rest rocktail. I bought 10 spirit terrorbirds (64 summoning), any suggestions for me like what I should put in the terrorbird's inv, how I should deal with zerker form, slight modifications to my inv? (I'll just ignore it if you tell me to change my whole inv.)

Well I suggest just using a zamorakian spear and black d hide instead of range but if you really want to range fill your terrorbird with brews. For zerker form put on deflect melee and turmoil(I can't see your stats so idk if you have it) if you don't have turmoil just use leech defence, str, and attack.

It helps to atleast bring a whip or z spear for zerker form if you range though.

Well I suggest just using a zamorakian spear and black d hide instead of range but if you really want to range fill your terrorbird with brews. For zerker form put on deflect melee and turmoil(I can't see your stats so idk if you have it) if you don't have turmoil just use leech defence, str, and attack.

71 prayer.

And I will not go back to melee, and here is why. When I was meleeing, I never did that much damage. I was lucky to get nomad down 1/4th hp before I was out of food and pots. Then I range him, and even if some was just luck, 1/4th down compared to zerker stage is a really big difference.

Finally beat it! It was on my very last run of the day.

My set up was

helm--> void melee

ammy--> glory

top--->void

bottom--->void

boots---->d boots

shield----> rune defender

weapon---->wip

cape----> defense (t)

ring------> warrior

gloves----> void

ammo---->none

inventory

excaliber enhanced

3 prayer potion (4)

uni scrolls

rest rock tails

tortoise

17 rock tails and unicorn pouch at the end

The reason why i didn't bring any bolts was because they didn't do much damage when he has you frozen so instead i used most of that time for healling and it kept me an extra rocktail space.

basic stratagy. before you go in bank and take a sip of a super set then store the dosses you have left and fill with food.

when he lays his mines you do not have to immediatly go behind the pillar. instead watch carefully and their will be a periode where he doesn't attack you. thats when you book it being careful not to hit the mines. a few seconds after he stops attacking he taunts you and then starts charging up his attack

as your behind the pillar equip excalliber and use spec so you can keep your defense high and heal.

nothing els fancy about it just keep wacking him with a wip.

then when tort is empty uni pouch should be in your inventory and quickly dismiss tort and switch to uni.

i also kept piety and pro melee on. it does seem to help a little bit compared to my other runs but just might be luck and nothing to do with actually lessening the damage you take.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Is fighting Nomad dangerous? As in, do u lose your items if you die or is it more like a minigame death?

You respawn at Soul Wars with your grave a few steps away.

well...the worst case scenario would be that you would lag out prior to reaching your gravestone.