11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Alright fine, they can, but that doesn't mean it's not still a trivial debate on an arbitrary classification.

It's a serious problem that Jagex has now released 2 quests they consider to be of "grandmaster" caliber, whereas in reality neither is harder than previous quests and RuneScape is still waiting for a hard quest. Complaining about the classification is probably the best feedback they can receive to make future quests of the proper difficulty. See, this was one of the only grandmaster quests to be released this year, and if most of the other quests are much easier, they have not followed through on the "hard quests" promise.

Keeping in mind that they've only had two shots at what a grandmaster quest should be like, I think it's important to keep giving them the following feedback:

-WGS was about half as long as a grandmaster quest should take, although it had plenty of good plot twists/elements. The fights were all very easy but just difficult enough so that you had to prepare for combat, not for general questing.

-NR was far too short, with a 1-3 hour play time depending on how many times you failed at Nomad. It had a puzzle theme, which was good, but there was really only one puzzle, and 3x3 sliding puzzles are child's play. It had one interesting (but easy) boss in the degrading avatar, and then it had a moderately challenging boss at the end - something you needed to prepare for.

-Both had requirements that were WAY too low.

heres the thing i see with this quest. 1: people say its easy to kill nomad ONLY if they have extreme sets. 2: people say its hard to kill nomad *like myself* as they DON'T have extreme pots and thus must kill him the hard way. From what i have seen personally, the people that say this quest was easy and should not be considered GM status is the fact that they have extreme sets. I for one don't care what type of quest it is, other than the fact that nomad was extremely hard and took me over 10+ tries to finally kill that gorram idiot. So argue about a stupid quest difficulty, it still is a hard quest and not many will be able to do it, and those that do will either have extreme sets, or be very lucky and manage to kill him.

I'm really disappointed to see things like this. I do not have extreme sets; I used a regular super attack and super strength during the battle, and no range potion at all. Although I used a pack yak, the supplies I had left over at the end could have refilled the yak entirely - I used just 25 sharks, 1 brew, and 2 super restores, meaning a terrorbird would have sufficed for me (and if I had drunk more brews instead of sharks I could have done it without a familiar). I was wearing black dragonhide with a whip and defender (diamond bolts for when frozen). I beat Nomad on my first try without memorizing what the lines above his head were.

The things I DID have going for me: maxed stats and curses.

It's such a shame that you can't go back to kill him again because I would have loved to go back and killed him with various hindrances. I would have recorded a video of me killing Nomad in black dhides and climbing boots, with regular prayers, without any stat boosting potions (99 melees can be reached with pots by people with skills in the 80s), and with a war tortoise familiar. I also would have recorded a range-only method for those with 90+ range but bad melee stats. Either way it is not THAT hard because Nomad was pretty specifically designed to hit high but to have no KO power. I struggle to see how people are taking dozens of tries to kill Nomad when the pattern should have become obvious during the first fight.

2496 Completionist

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just tried for the first time with a real attempt.

I don't see how you can attack him if you have to chug brews the entire time... Then try to drink Super Restore... Then have to start on brews again...

I might've survived longer but I tried to run behind a pillar to get away from his charging attack and didn't make it in time, which for some reason forced my character to RUN back to him (without auto-retaliate!!) and trip a landmine, effectively killing me and wasting 18 Saradomin Brew(4)s that I couldn't pick up because my familiar died too.

Will try again when supplies are easier to get...

2dgucz6.png

I just got 88 Summoning, fished some Rocktails and won on my 3rd try. :thumbsup: (3rd try in total. 1st time using this setup)

My setup was the following:

23aw35666.png

My strategy:

-Use Oo'glog Prayer Pool and Hitpoints Pool to increase both skills above max

-Drink a dose of Range Potion and deposit it in bank before going in tent

-Go into Nomads room and just click the ground so he leaves you alone

-Drink super set -> turn on special bar -> turn on Piety -> fight Nomad

-Summon Unicorn and use it once War Tortoise is empty

-Freeze attack: Heal to maximum Hitpoints and put on a Phoenix Necklace. Range him with Onyx Bolts(e) using Eagle Eye

-Mine attack: Just stay there attacking him and when he starts to charge up, put on a Phoenix Necklace

-Clone attack: Have auto retaliate on and dont click anyone. It usually finds the right one for you. (usually)

-Berserk attack: Use protect from melee and he will rarely hit you. Be quick though because you be be very low on Prayer by now (low 20s-40s) or if very unlucky you might be out already) It's really only necessary for 1 Prayer Potion because having another one would take up a Rocktail spot of 23 HP.

"""Note"""

I won with 1 Rocktail, 40HP, 0 Summoning special and 0 Prayer left

I am also 80 Prayer and 70 Herblore

rewards could use a boost, sorta bad imo, 70k slayer and a cape worse than fire

boss needs to be way harder

1. more def

2. ruby max at 75 is fine

3. less charging time on big attacks

4. around 1500 hp

5. his normal attacks max around 30, make that 35-40

make a decent reward that doesnt ruin fight caves, like the ability to upgrade firecape with the prayer bonus, or add fire capes str to this somehow

100 zeal

a_final_name.png

1. more def

4. around 1500 hp

make a decent reward that doesnt ruin fight caves, like the ability to upgrade firecape with the prayer bonus, or add fire capes str to this somehow

100 zeal

That cape is much better than a fire cape in many situations, including just about every situation where you need to protect pray constantly, or even if you're using piety/turmoil constantly.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

1. more def

4. around 1500 hp

100 zeal

That cape is much better than a fire cape in many situations, including just about every situation where you need to protect pray constantly, or even if you're using piety/turmoil constantly.

how so, hitting higher is more efficient than using 7 ppots rather than 9, xp > cost so by saying sw cape is better your valuing a few k on ppots over speed of combat

a_final_name.png

Well after getting up to Nomad I expected him to move faster, and I think everyone is just exaggerating when they say he's the hardest boss. 3 tries so far, first and second killed by the one below max hp special and third time I ran out of my inv (I didn't switch it out between runs). The balance elemental was smarter and quicker to respond to my changes. Like the new mother, Nomad will keep attacking with a style for a little bit after I pray against it. The biggest mistake i'm making is not taking things to restore my lowered stats. 1st try I got about 1/3 hp off, second was not even 1/4, and 3rd was 1/4. I'll keep trying until I win, assuming it doesn't cost me over 10m. But tomorrow, i'm tired now and i'm going to bed.

I'm a little nervous, so I hope people don't mind if I ask this but: Is this setup alright:

Equipped: - Neit helm

-Black D'hide Body

-Black D'hige Legs

-D Boots

-Explorer's Ring 3

- Rune Cbow

- BGS

- Ruby Bolts

- Guth book

- Fury

- Gloves (Barrows)

Inventory: -BGS (or Rune cbow/ Guth book after Nomad is in quick strike mode)

-9 Super Restores

- Obby Golem (To be summoned after BoB is done with)

- Remainder is Rocktail

BoB (Tortoise): 18 Brews.

Strategy: Use Rocktails until out, then fill with BoB (Brews). Swap out Tortoise for Obby Golem. Attack with Ruby bolts (E) until Nomad goes into his quick striking. Then attack with BGS. Prayer is set to Eagle Eye, Steel Skin, and Redemption throughout.

I know it's better with pictures, but it's a little late over here and I'm somewhat tired.

So is this setup good? Any advice? Overpreparing? Underpreparing? (Stats are below.) I'm just nervous about this. He costs quite a bit of money in supplies per fight and I don't want to mess it up.

goblin512.png

I haven't tried it yet because I don't have the stats, but I would recommend curses instead of prayers.

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

1. more def

4. around 1500 hp

100 zeal

how so, hitting higher is more efficient than using 7 ppots rather than 9, xp > cost so by saying sw cape is better your valuing a few k on ppots over speed of combat

+4 Str is what, +1 to your max hit? How is a chance to hit 1 higher more efficient than a 33% slower prayer drain?

I'm a little nervous, so I hope people don't mind if I ask this but: Is this setup alright:

-Black D'hide Body

-Black D'hige Legs

-D Boots

-Explorer's Ring 3

- Rune Cbow

- BGS

- Ruby Bolts

- Guth book

- Fury

- Gloves (Barrows)

-9 Super Restores

- Remainder is Rocktail

Strategy: Use Rocktails until out, then fill with BoB (Brews). Swap out Tortoise for Obby Golem. Attack with Ruby bolts (E) until Nomad goes into his quick striking. Then attack with BGS. Prayer is set to Eagle Eye, Steel Skin, and Redemption throughout.

I know it's better with pictures, but it's a little late over here and I'm somewhat tired.

So is this setup good? Any advice? Overpreparing? Underpreparing? (Stats are below.) I'm just nervous about this. He costs quite a bit of money in supplies per fight and I don't want to mess it up.

Personally I don't agree with using Brews/Restores since you can't boost you stats because you must heal so much. I also don't suggest Rube(e) bolts since they're pretty weak other than the spec, I tried them and they didn't work too good. Plus do you really want effect to happen when he hits max-1 damage? :unsure: I would use Onyx(e) if I were you, just resell when done. Don't bring Obby Golem. Unless you can Summon Unicorn, a second familiar is a waste. A Rocktail healing 23 is much better than an Obby Golem. Before you head into the tent, drink a super set and re-reposit it so you'll have better advantage using Bandos Godsword special. Lowering his defense might help a lot, I never tried it myself. Also, boost hitpoints and prayer above maximum using Oo'glog spas.

+4 Str is what, +1 to your max hit? How is a chance to hit 1 higher more efficient than a 33% slower prayer drain?

it really depends, if you already have a high prayer bonus, +10 prayer *might* not be worth it

well let me apply this to one example

a player with my stats slaying metal dragons for example

for me +4 str bonus is +2 to my max hit, or a 3.6% bonus to my damage rate

and lets say im praying + turmoiling

and my gear would be +22 pray bonus with fire cape, 32 with the sw cape

with a fire cape that would be 176k gp in prayer potions per hour

with the soul wars cape it is 147k gp/hour

the time saved by the 3.6% is about 2 minutes 10 seconds lets say

the money saved is 27k gp

in other words if you make over 750k gp/hour you're probably better off wearing the fire cape

actually this analysis is slightly flawed, in the sense that you would not need to spend as much time killing if your max hit were boosted.

Thus the break off income is probably lower in this regard

additionally booted max hit also means more damage is "wasted" on the final knockout blow. This would in turn raise the gp/hour rate

but 750k gp/hour is a good estimate =D

Naaxi.png

Well after getting up to Nomad I expected him to move faster, and I think everyone is just exaggerating when they say he's the hardest boss. 3 tries so far, first and second killed by the one below max hp special and third time I ran out of my inv (I didn't switch it out between runs). The balance elemental was smarter and quicker to respond to my changes. Like the new mother, Nomad will keep attacking with a style for a little bit after I pray against it. The biggest mistake i'm making is not taking things to restore my lowered stats. 1st try I got about 1/3 hp off, second was not even 1/4, and 3rd was 1/4. I'll keep trying until I win, assuming it doesn't cost me over 10m. But tomorrow, i'm tired now and i'm going to bed.

Wait a second, I thought protection prayers didn't do anything but then again I never tried protect from range. Are you sure he's switching prayer styles and you're actually able to stop his attacks? If so, Nomad is a loooooooot easier than everyone first thought.

insipid_soup.png

heres the thing i see with this quest. 1: people say its easy to kill nomad ONLY if they have extreme sets. 2: people say its hard to kill nomad *like myself* as they DON'T have extreme pots and thus must kill him the hard way. From what i have seen personally, the people that say this quest was easy and should not be considered GM status is the fact that they have extreme sets. I for one don't care what type of quest it is, other than the fact that nomad was extremely hard and took me over 10+ tries to finally kill that gorram idiot. So argue about a stupid quest difficulty, it still is a hard quest and not many will be able to do it, and those that do will either have extreme sets, or be very lucky and manage to kill him.

Personally i don't care, i got it done, i'm happy

Firefly reference. :thumbsup:

Anyways, back on-topic. I had 4 Rocktails leftover, and I was stupid in bringing a Unicorn in the first place - I got 140 HP out of it, whilst a Terrorbird would've been 276. I'm 99.9% sure the Extreme potions I had really didn't decide the battle. Someone with 80+ melee stats, 75+ prayer, and 67+ summoning should be able to take Nomad out pretty easily if they're properly equipped.

And what equipment do you recommend? Ruby Bolts (e)?

Whip and Divine/Elysian, Rune Crossbow on switch, Ruby Bolts (e) or Diamond Bolts (e) both work. Void, Dragonhide, Karil all work. I'd recommend Rocktails instead of Brews, Brews seem really unnecessary to me. Just melee away, until:

a ) If he starts setting mines, run outside the field and range him - don't let him set up the full field around you, or you'll have to move carefully and you might get hit by his follow-up. Keep shooting until he teleports, then run behind the pillar until the attack ends, then go back to melee (the mines will disappear).

b ) If he teleports both of you and freezes you, if you're using Divine, get your HP over 90 and range him until he hits you. If you're using Elysian, heal to full HP and range him (use Diamond, not Ruby). Heal as you switch back to whip once his attack is done.

c ) If he splits, watch the four clones. For me, at least, the Nomad was always the last one to attack, so attacking that one shuts down the others.

That's how I'd do it, were my combat stats lower. I'm fairly sure that this strategy would get you through with, say, 85/85/85 melee stats, 75 prayer, and 67 summoning (war tortoise).

Wait a second, I thought protection prayers didn't do anything but then again I never tried protect from range. Are you sure he's switching prayer styles and you're actually able to stop his attacks? If so, Nomad is a loooooooot easier than everyone first thought.

tried it, doesn't work. i do know tho, when he goes into his melee frenzy, prot melee does NOT give full protection. prot melee will stop some of his attacks 1/2 of the time, the other 1/2 will hit you for 20+ and he hits as fast as darts.

Firefly reference. :thumbsup:

Anyways, back on-topic. I had 4 Rocktails leftover, and I was stupid in bringing a Unicorn in the first place - I got 140 HP out of it, whilst a Terrorbird would've been 276. I'm 99.9% sure the Extreme potions I had really didn't decide the battle. Someone with 80+ melee stats, 75+ prayer, and 67+ summoning should be able to take Nomad out pretty easily if they're properly equipped.

I love Firefly!!!! "Lets get one thing straight. I do the job, and then I get paid. Go run your little world."

modjohan.jpg

l_the_seer_l.png

I am known only as The Seer. I have many names and many different forms. Cross me at your own risk, fight me at your own peril, but join me and fight by my side, and none shall stand before our power.

Owner of the Quest, Firemaking*2-12-08*, Fletching, Magic, Defense, Cooking, HP, Attack, Strength, Herblore, Summoning, Farming and Prayer Capes.

I love Firefly!!!! "Lets get one thing straight. I do the job, and then I get paid. Go run your little world."

"Do you know what your sin is, Mal?"

"Aw hell, I'm a fan of all seven."

Okay that's Serenity but whatever. And I think I'm going slightly off topic.

-Black D'hide Body

-Black D'hige Legs

-D Boots

-Explorer's Ring 3

- Rune Cbow

- BGS

- Ruby Bolts

- Guth book

- Fury

- Gloves (Barrows)

-9 Super Restores

- Remainder is Rocktail

Personally I don't agree with using Brews/Restores since you can't boost you stats because you must heal so much. I also don't suggest Rube(e) bolts since they're pretty weak other than the spec, I tried them and they didn't work too good. Plus do you really want effect to happen when he hits max-1 damage? :unsure: I would use Onyx(e) if I were you, just resell when done. Don't bring Obby Golem. Unless you can Summon Unicorn, a second familiar is a waste. A Rocktail healing 23 is much better than an Obby Golem. Before you head into the tent, drink a super set and re-reposit it so you'll have better advantage using Bandos Godsword special. Lowering his defense might help a lot, I never tried it myself. Also, boost hitpoints and prayer above maximum using Oo'glog spas.

Apparently he's weak to stab. So Zamorakian spear or Vesta's spear is nice to consider. Void is good accuracy, can produce high hits and decent mage defence, all win and suitable for fighting Nomad. I agree with Goblin, unless you have a strong fighter (Guyser+) or Unicorn/Fire Titan, don't bring a second familiar. If you have unicorn, consider bringing 18 summoning potions in your tortoise so when you're out of brews, use the summoning potions and a unicorn for healing, that way you don't lose stats as you heal. It's like a 3 dose brew, but it takes more effort and time to heal.

Best bring a few pieces of food too. Phoenix necklaces helps alot against his (maxbaselevelhp-1) special. Ddarts to locate him when he summons illusions. Soul split is a very good choice, and stick with either defence lowering special attack weapons or 'overpowered' ones, such as Vls/Dclaws/Swh.

-Black D'hide Body

-Black D'hige Legs

-D Boots

-Explorer's Ring 3

- Rune Cbow

- BGS

- Ruby Bolts

- Guth book

- Fury

- Gloves (Barrows)

-9 Super Restores

- Remainder is Rocktail

Excuse my ignorance but why the Explorer's Ring 3?

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

-Black D'hide Body

-Black D'hige Legs

-D Boots

-Explorer's Ring 3

- Rune Cbow

- BGS

- Ruby Bolts

- Guth book

- Fury

- Gloves (Barrows)

-9 Super Restores

- Remainder is Rocktail

That's not ignorance, that's curiousity/lack of knowledge. Explorer Ring 3 gives 1 prayer bonus.

-Black D'hide Body

-Black D'hige Legs

-D Boots

-Explorer's Ring 3

- Rune Cbow

- BGS

- Ruby Bolts

- Guth book

- Fury

- Gloves (Barrows)

-9 Super Restores

- Remainder is Rocktail

That's not ignorance, that's curiousity/lack of knowledge. Explorer Ring 3 gives 1 prayer bonus.

That explains it. Thanks!

OT: I tried out the dodging the 75 attack by going behind the pillar and I must say that it really does help. Granted I still died but that was because going in to the fight I was under prepared due to exhausted resources from my many failed attempts beforehand. I'm going to try tomorrow using the Pillar method and see what happens.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

1. more def

4. around 1500 hp

100 zeal

theres things called prayer potions, you drink them, +1-2 dmg is better

a_final_name.png

Wanna challenge? Try to find someone showing you how to do this on youtube, *not* using Soul Split, Pack Yaks, Steel Titans, and/or Extreme Pots.

-edit- I've also yet to see anyone use the pillar hide on yotube. They just tank that shiz.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

It is true you can't pot to the mining requirement, even though it says to complete the quest?

Construction and Hunting I don't mind training, but mining is so boring (I did Curse of Arrav at 60 as it took me far longer to gain a single level then it did to get 8 brown spices).

I love the idea of taking 4 phoenix necklaces as opposed to brewing from the hp-1 hit. That way its 1 click for 30% hp vs 2 clicks for 28hp with the need to restore.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]