11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Tbh it seems to me like the only reason people feel the "Grandmaster" classification is sacred and special is because of how long and epic the first one is. Fact is, "Grandmaster" is just another classification like all the others. It just means it's harder. There are some long expert quests, some short ones. There are some long master quests, and some short ones. Obviously there will be some long grandmaster quests like WGS, and some short ones like Nomad's Requiem. What does it matter? It's just a label.

No we consider it that because we were told they were going to be awesome and special. And they aren't doing that.

Jagex promised us mammoths a few years ago! I want my mammoths!

Just because they have a idea doesn't mean Jagex will stick to it, to be honest, I would be very, VERY surprised if any game ever made was exactly like the creators had in mind when they finished developing it :roll:

Yes but this has nothing to do with issues involving creating something. They simply told us one thing and did another. They could've done this easily enough, same battle mechanics, same fight, just not as hard and made it Master, or they could've made the quest be longer, have more of a story and keep Nomad as he is. The way it was done I think isn't right.

Let us know how you fare against Nomad, then talk.

I have fought him 4 times already and I still think the same.

This quest doesn't deserve GM status due to the lack of story.

The story is there, it's just subtle. Nomad used to work for Lucien, but he didn't like Lucien's goals, so he abandoned him. Lucien keeps sending assassins to kill Nomad, so Nomad created the Soul Obelisk to gather souls to make him stronger, so that when Lucien himself confronts Nomad, he will be able to beat him.

td2sig.jpg

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COULD Nomad's new appearance be a reference to Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 game?

I think he's based on Darth Vader due to some of the quotes. ("All to easy." and Juna's "Impressive... Most impressive.")

To be honest I thought there was more of a Star Wars reference. There was just something about the way Nomad looks that reminds me of the Star Wars saga. I had thought that as well when Soul Wars first was released. I also noticed the comment during the quest from Nomad saying "All to easy" which was made by Darth Vader in the "5th" movie. I suppose it could be a common phrase - but it was always Star Wars that I feel like that phrase has the most relevance towards.

-Edit- .. beaten by above <_<

Star Wars it is then (not that i watch it). Was stated in Rs wikipedia that it was reference from a character in Star Wars also.

Dragon, what a weak story for a GM quest.

Perhaps, but no one ever said GM quests had to have grandiose plots. You're extrapolating that because of WGS. All that a quest needs to be a GM quest is either high requirements or really tough fights. All quests are rated in difficulty based on their requirements and the fights involved, so GM quests should be no different. Nomad is so hard that many people on the RSOF want him nerfed, that many maxed players are struggling to beat him. I'd say that this qualifies it as a GM quest. Also, this is a tie-in to WGS/Mysteries of the Mahjarrat. There is good reason to believe that Nomad is a mahjarrat, and it introduces what looks to be a key player in the future of that quest series.

td2sig.jpg

Dragon, what a weak story for a GM quest.

Perhaps, but no one ever said GM quests had to have grandiose plots. You're extrapolating that because of WGS. All that a quest needs to be a GM quest is either high requirements or really tough fights. All quests are rated in difficulty based on their requirements and the fights involved, so GM quests should be no different. Nomad is so hard that many people on the RSOF want him nerfed, that many maxed players are struggling to beat him. I'd say that this qualifies it as a GM quest. Also, this is a tie-in to WGS/Mysteries of the Mahjarrat. There is good reason to believe that Nomad is a mahjarrat, and it introduces what looks to be a key player in the future of that quest series.

Actually when they released WGS they said that GM quest were gonna be long quests with grandiose plots. This has neither. It's just a master quest with an overblown boss fight.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

There are three things they could do.

#1 make it so mage pray won't fully block his 98 spec attack but at least reduce it to half.

#2 when he clones make one that is slightly different then the others so its not just based blindly on luck

The -1 max hit attack isn't to bad, as the 75 attack is block-able if you hide behind the pillar. Without the -1 max hit attack it would be much to easy of a fight, so reducing it would take the challenge away!

As for the clones, the real one is different. I don't wanna give to much away, but just look what clone hits you last. I'm sure you'll find he is the one your looking for ;)

I wont say it is "easy", because I died myself 3 times (138 combat), but knowing what attacks he is going to use is more than half the key to winning. Avoiding both the mines and the 75 attack is a must or you will run out of food. And turn auto-retaliate off or you WILL die.

Your kinda going against what I was doing. :P I ignored the mines as I didnt need to move and I tanked the 75 hits. I had auto-retaliate on because it makes it loads more easy when killing the clones right after the 75 hit.

I did die 5 times, but I did all of what I said above on the fight when I won aswell.

Easy? Getting:

99 Prayer - takes loads cash and time

99 HP - Time

99 Attack - Time

99 Magic - Time

99 Defence - Time

99 Summon - Time

Time+Time+Time+Time+Time+Time+Time+Time = 8x Time

My point?

High levels have worked HARD, so no wonder they kill Nomad easier than others.

Personally i found Nomad easy. I used Z spear with d hide setup and pack yak with sharks, soul split+turmoil.

It was HARD fighting Nomad

It was not HARD killing him.

P.S

I TANKED the 98 hits also.

According to a HLF and forum mod friend of mine, Jagex is actually considering making it easier. They want to collect more feedback before they do, though. I really hope they do not mess with it, especially since by the time they do many people will have done it and wasted a bunch of supplies.

td2sig.jpg

According to a HLF and forum mod friend of mine, Jagex is actually considering making it easier. They want to collect more feedback before they do, though. I really hope they do not mess with it, especially since by the time they do many people will have done it and wasted a bunch of supplies.

If they do i hope it's for the best. I enjoyed the fight alot.

I was curious so I gave it a shot with a super attack, super stregth, the rest of my inventory and my tortoise with Rocktails and I got completely murdered. He kicked my [wagon] so bad that after I died he actually slowed down my internet connection and now my RS is all laggy.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I'm convinced this is impossible on my touchpad laptop. I've resummarized my thoughts...

The Quest Cape has long been a unique item in that it shows not the ability to grind out skills like other capes, but rather the lust for adventure and story progression. This quest -destroys- that concept, as anyone without a huge combination of nearly maxed skills, top-shelf equipment, and extensive boss combat experience has virtually no chance of finishing.

Additionally, while many games may have had very little plot but still remained a challenging quest, Runescape has never been one of them. Typically, the more challenging quests also have very elaborate plot lines to support this challenge. While Guthix Sleeps, Desert Treasure, Mourning's End, Heroes, Legends, Swan Song, and the recent Blood Runs Deep all support this. The rich storyline DRIVES people to want to quest. Consider how you felt about Lucien during WGS... I wanted to personally hunt him down! Regardless of how powerful he may be, I was out for blood.

Here... I don't care. SW is the worst combat minigame in all of Runescape. I had no idea who Nomad is, and still don't (nor do I care). Why do I want to keep fighting him? Simple answer: I don't. This quest is just WAY TOO HARD for something so anemic on storyline and relevancy to the main game. It has all the feel of trying to kill the Emerald Weapon way back in FFVII: it's fun to do, but definitely didn't belong as a central part of the game.

My larger fear is that other quests will build off this abortion of an effort by Jagex. If there is a quest which comes out in the future where this quest is a prerequisite and there has been no modification to this quest to allow normal, touchpad computers to compete... expect my membership to be cancelled.

I always wondered what that would take.

stormveritas.png

Oh no they di-int.

Hope they dont ruin the core part of the quest. :-?

Though with all the people whining about it being "too hard" on the rsof, it wouldnt surprise me if Jagex baby'ed them and gave in.:roll:

I'm not sure if this is me going mad from trying to do it so many times, but I have found that when Nomad creates his clones putting on Protect from Range helps defend against the attacks. I know it's not exactly the most dangerous part of the fight, but every bit of HP helps I guess :^_^:

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I can say conclusively that anyone who is maxed and having difficulty is dumb.

I must, unfortunately, agree. I've gotten him to almost half health with my poor stats using just rocktails and a super set. Well, maybe not dumb, just completely inept at learning his moves.

On a more positive note, this guy is actually quite fun to fight, even if I'm just wasting money on rocktails at this point. I think part of it is that I can rush in there and not worry about losing anything except food supplies, so there isn't any nervousness about failing, raising my (mental) combat skills by about 10-fold.

Flyingjj.png

I'm convinced this is impossible on my touchpad laptop. I've resummarized my thoughts...

The Quest Cape has long been a unique item in that it shows not the ability to grind out skills like other capes, but rather the lust for adventure and story progression. This quest -destroys- that concept, as anyone without a huge combination of nearly maxed skills, top-shelf equipment, and extensive boss combat experience has virtually no chance of finishing.

Additionally, while many games may have had very little plot but still remained a challenging quest, Runescape has never been one of them. Typically, the more challenging quests also have very elaborate plot lines to support this challenge. While Guthix Sleeps, Desert Treasure, Mourning's End, Heroes, Legends, Swan Song, and the recent Blood Runs Deep all support this. The rich storyline DRIVES people to want to quest. Consider how you felt about Lucien during WGS... I wanted to personally hunt him down! Regardless of how powerful he may be, I was out for blood.

Here... I don't care. SW is the worst combat minigame in all of Runescape. I had no idea who Nomad is, and still don't (nor do I care). Why do I want to keep fighting him? Simple answer: I don't. This quest is just WAY TOO HARD for something so anemic on storyline and relevancy to the main game. It has all the feel of trying to kill the Emerald Weapon way back in FFVII: it's fun to do, but definitely didn't belong as a central part of the game.

My larger fear is that other quests will build off this abortion of an effort by Jagex. If there is a quest which comes out in the future where this quest is a prerequisite and there has been no modification to this quest to allow normal, touchpad computers to compete... expect my membership to be cancelled.

I always wondered what that would take.

That's like saying that I use dial-up internet, therefore all combat situations should be nerfed to suit my internet connection. BUY A USB MOUSE. And, FYI, you don't need to be maxed combat with soul split to beat Nomad. Read through the last few pages of this thread. There are numerous posts by players explaining that YOU DON'T NEED TO TANK NOMAD. People are so used to standing there in front of monsters that they don't even try to avoid attacks. If you've ever solo'd - or even teamed - Saradomin GWD, you know what I'm talking about.

It sounds like you're frustrated because of your laptop rather than because of the quest.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Leave MHL alone, coming from her, "lacks story" is practically a compliment.

Although I haven't had time to finally get 70 prayer and do the quest, from what I've read it wasn't the greatest plot. However, with such high requirements, it has to be Grandmaster.

Stormveritas, while it is true that this quest has significantly increased the required combat levels for the quest cape, I don't think it's out of the reach of people my level. At least, I hope it isn't because I hate training combat :P But remember that when Corp was released, everyone thought it was unsoloable, but then people found new strategies and now it's been vidded many times. In a few weeks, there will be all sorts of guides and strategies, and everyone who wasted millions on supplies will be beating themselves up for missing some safespot or strategy. So basically, those who dislike grinding will just need more talent. And perhaps a laptop mouse :P

If we hear for sure that Jagex is planning on nerfing it, I suggest a raid of RSOF Recent Updates. The quest is fine how it is.

That's like saying that I use dial-up internet, therefore all combat situations should be nerfed to suit my internet connection. BUY A USB MOUSE. And, FYI, you don't need to be maxed combat with soul split to beat Nomad. Read through the last few pages of this thread. There are numerous posts by players explaining that YOU DON'T NEED TO TANK NOMAD. People are so used to standing there in front of monsters that they don't even try to avoid attacks. If you've ever solo'd - or even teamed - Saradomin GWD, you know what I'm talking about.

It sounds like you're frustrated because of your laptop rather than because of the quest.

:roll:

Flame much?

It is -nothing- like claiming I'm using a dial up connection; I'm using standard, modern equipment readily available. Runescape is a browser-based game, its very identity is rooted in the low barriers to entry of play.

Additionally, I'm frustrated because this quest COMPLETELY CHANGES THE IDENTITY OF QUESTING. You ignore the entire basis of my post because it is not something you can argue.

stormveritas.png

Stormveritas, while it is true that this quest has significantly increased the required combat levels for the quest cape, I don't think it's out of the reach of people my level. At least, I hope it isn't because I hate training combat :P But remember that when Corp was released, everyone thought it was unsoloable, but then people found new strategies and now it's been vidded many times. In a few weeks, there will be all sorts of guides and strategies, and everyone who wasted millions on supplies will be beating themselves up for missing some safespot or strategy.

BIG difference: The Corp Beast after Summer's End is not part of the Quest Tree, and the one you kill in the quest does not require incredible skill heights.

If there is something we are all missing that makes this quest manageable, fine. Great, grand, gravy. I don't think there is such a thing. I think Jagex just wanted to cater to those who crave combat, and disregarded the casual players (like myself) that do not engage in high stakes, at the expense of the Quest Cape they long ago earned the right to wear.

stormveritas.png

Stormveritas, while it is true that this quest has significantly increased the required combat levels for the quest cape, I don't think it's out of the reach of people my level. At least, I hope it isn't because I hate training combat :P But remember that when Corp was released, everyone thought it was unsoloable, but then people found new strategies and now it's been vidded many times. In a few weeks, there will be all sorts of guides and strategies, and everyone who wasted millions on supplies will be beating themselves up for missing some safespot or strategy.

BIG difference: The Corp Beast after Summer's End is not part of the Quest Tree, and the one you kill in the quest does not require incredible skill heights.

If there is something we are all missing that makes this quest manageable, fine. Great, grand, gravy. I don't think there is such a thing. I think Jagex just wanted to cater to those who crave combat, and disregarded the casual players (like myself) that do not engage in high stakes, at the expense of the Quest Cape they long ago earned the right to wear.

Tell you what - When I get on this weekend, this quest will be my only goal. If I do not complete it by the end of the weekend, then you are right - Jagex has destroyed a class of questers who did not spend hours throwing knives at yaks, or flipping yew logs. I really can't judge a quest that I haven't had a chance to look at for myself, but it seems to me us story lovers will just need to think a bit harder and pay some attention during combat for once.

Perhaps, but no one ever said GM quests had to have grandiose plots.

Actually, I am pretty sure they DID.

And even if not, it is implied that anything they make this big a deal out of for such a long time is going to be more than "go downstairs and fight this dude, oh, and if you die, don't worry because you get all your stuff back via this nice (completely contrived) teleporting graveestone".

I am not a big quester and even I thought the whole thing was lame. If the point was to give us a tough fight, it could have been done in a much better way.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

If there was no such thing as the stupid quest cape, you wouldn't be complaining. I really wish there wasn't. It essentially disallows Jagex from making quests with very difficult fights. Well, that is if they listen to the whining. Which, fortunately, they aren't. Sorry.

Tell you what - When I get on this weekend, this quest will be my only goal. If I do not complete it by the end of the weekend, then you are right - Jagex has destroyed a class of questers who did not spend hours throwing knives at yaks, or flipping yew logs. I really can't judge a quest that I haven't had a chance to look at for myself, but it seems to me us story lovers will just need to think a bit harder and pay some attention during combat for once.

Im pretty sure the only way that you'll win is with a certain spirit shield. :-?