11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

On another note, is anyone else a little miffed that you need to do this quest so you can wear your Quest Cape, but the reward for the quest is also a cape that completely owns the Quest Cape? :roll:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guarantee that within a week there will be players with combat levels under 100 finishing this quest (unless the requirements themselves preclude this).

And then more folks will start to wonder if it really lived up to its billing.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I guarantee that within a week there will be players with combat levels under 100 finishing this quest (unless the requirements themselves preclude this).

And then more folks will start to wonder if it really lived up to its billing.

Even now we know certain things that make it easier. For example, his 75 hit attack is evadable, his attacks, have an order, stuff about the illusions and that the one cloest to his throne is usually the real one, etc. It'll be figured out pretty soon and be easier, but by no means a cakewalk.

Managed it at 119 combat after several attempts :)

I was surprised by the difficulty of the boss. I don't mind it too much (though I guess it's easy to say that now I've beaten it), but I'd have expected it to be built up to slowly as more grandmaster quests come along, rather than this huge step up.

This quest feels a bit like Dream Mentor with some added puzzles.

Puzzles are good, though not too difficult.

First fight is boring, second fight is too hard (for me :( ).

Storyline is close to non-existant and I think that stinks.

WGS truly is the better quest.

priest_wiz.png

fx5nr7.png

And I would tell him that a Boss fight alone does not make any quest worthy of a Grandmaster quest, but again, that's just my opinion.

I'm going to have to agree with you, and I'd like to support your opinion so you don't feel alone with all the flamers.

Runescape quests have always been creative and interesting. Especially the "important" ones. Heros, Legends, RFD, Dragon Slayer, WGS...they all take you on an adventure like no other. You travel from kingdom to kingdom slaying beasts, collecting items, solving riddles, and enjoying a great ride along the story line.

Nomad's Requiem, in comparison, is quite a bore. Well...I mean, the fight is exciting I suppose. But that has never been what I liked about Runescape. This quest, to me, feels like a WoW quest. Go to one area, kill a boss, complete the quest. Okay okay, before you chime in and flame me, guys...I am aware that I am over simplifying it. There WERE some challenging puzzles...but I would be lying if I didn't say that the focus of the quest was just one single hard boss fight. This is quite a departure from the other "important" or "master/grandmaster" quests where you go on a 5 hour journey where each little leg of the quest is quite interesting in its own regard.

Theres goods and bads, I suppose. A good thing is that this quest at least brings us a new type of thing for a quest: a fight which is truly a challenge, comparable to Jad and the likes. On the other hand, is this difference a good thing or a bad thing? For myself, Libs, and other people who have played this game forever and like the classic "formulae" for quests, it is a disappointment.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

For people still struggling with the quest, zs on stab really does work pretty well. Dodge the 75 hit by standing behind a pillar, saves you quite some food. If you got a large bob, try to have some sharks/rocktails left to use during the last phase. Brews barely keep up when he goes berserk, so you dont'want to be stuck with just brews when he does that :P. I found sharks way more useful to heal during the normal fight too, bring some to use in conjunction with brews.

2dvjurb.png

In the end, the biggest problem with Nomad's Requiem as a grandmaster quest is not the word "grandmaster", but rather the word "quest".

A good quest demands a good storyline. Not only was there not a good storyline here, there pretty much was NO storyline.

I am not a quester -- I generally don't like them, and I do them when I need to in order to unlock content. And even *I* found the storyline here to be rather farcical. The entire quest is "Nomad's doing something weird! Go down there and figure out what it is!".

One could argue that if this is a quest, so is Bork.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

In the end, the biggest problem with Nomad's Requiem as a grandmaster quest is not the word "grandmaster", but rather the word "quest".

A good quest demands a good storyline. Not only was there not a good storyline here, there pretty much was NO storyline.

I am not a quester -- I generally don't like them, and I do them when I need to in order to unlock content. And even *I* found the storyline here to be rather farcical. The entire quest is "Nomad's doing something weird! Go down there and figure out what it is!".

I totally agree. They should have made this into a miniquest that you eventually have to do in order to start a real GM quest.

priest_wiz.png

While I agree that the plot was a bit lacking, this quest does drop many hints about future quests, especially if you choose to go through all the dialogue options with Nomad before you fight him.

He all-but comes out and says that he was working for Lucien, and that he has been making himself more powerful in order to stand a chance against Lucien.

td2sig.jpg

Not only is just the plot a little lackluster, but the sheer amount of adventuring is a disappointment. My favorite quests are the ones that send me from the mountains to the caves to the desert to an island and then back to the caves and then into the forest. And at each location there is a puzzle to solve or an object to attain or a monster to kill.

This quest was like the temple of light quest. One boring trek to one area.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

While I agree that the plot was a bit lacking, this quest does drop many hints about future quests, especially if you choose to go through all the dialogue options with Nomad before you fight him.

He all-but comes out and says that he was working for Lucien, and that he has been making himself more powerful in order to stand a chance against Lucien.

Well if that's the case, maybe it is Bilrach as Zamouregal stated that he was willing to go along with what he wanted and we know Lucien proposed an alliance to Zamouregal that he initially scoffed at, but later was reconsidering. So maybe?

I've died about 6 times now. Seems my method isn't working too well. I'll try again tomorrow. Sigh

What method is that?

Well recently it's been full Karils minus the Crossbow, Rune Crossbow/defender (With Ruby Bolts (e)), Obsidian cape, Snakeskin boots and a Glory ammy. As far as inventory I had a Tortoise filled with nothing but Sara Brews and in my inventory I had about 8 Super Restores and the rest Brews. All pots were four dose. Although out of stupidity I did run in to those Mine things that he drops around you a few times. So I'm sure that didn't help.

The best I've done so far is I got him down to where he starts his quick melee attacks. However by that time I was out of brews and low hp so he made quick work of me

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who had a harder time with the Avatar of Decay than the Nomad. Avatar of Decay took me three tries and forever, Nomad I got on my first try with like 15 Rocktails. =(

Maybe nomad is easier for a 99 everything like you. For me, Avatar is just sit behind the corridor (safe spot) and shoot. You dont even have to destroy roots (it only spawn 3 times).

Nomad is intense as we low levels, we have to kill him before our brew runs out. We dont have top level BoB and we hit lots of 0s.

Someone tell me I'm not the only one who had a harder time with the Avatar of Decay than the Nomad. Avatar of Decay took me three tries and forever, Nomad I got on my first try with like 15 Rocktails. =(

Maybe nomad is easier for a 99 everything like you. For me, Avatar is just sit behind the corridor (safe spot) and shoot. You dont even have to destroy roots (it only spawn 3 times).

Nomad is intense as we low levels, we have to kill him before our brew runs out. We dont have top level BoB and we hit lots of 0s.

Err. Maybe that's the problem, I didn't know about the safe spot... or the thing about roots only spawning three times. And Nomad's defense seems incredibly low, I was hitting him easily with DDS, even got a nice 34-36 special on him. Unicorn was pretty useless, I imagine you should be able to do it just with Rocktails + Tortoise carrying more. Oh well, never been there so I guess I can't talk.

Err. Maybe that's the problem, I didn't know about the safe spot... or the thing about roots only spawning three times. And Nomad's defense seems incredibly low, I was hitting him easily with DDS, even got a nice 34-36 special on him. Unicorn was pretty useless, I imagine you should be able to do it just with Rocktails + Tortoise carrying more. Oh well, never been there so I guess I can't talk.

How was the avatar hard at all ? Just protect from melee and attack away, he can't do any damage. Nomad on the other hand hit me constant 20's (though I was wearing veracs and didn't dodge his mine attack) And took me 30 some brews to kill

britonlongbo.png

How was the avatar hard at all ? Just protect from melee and attack away, he can't do any damage. Nomad on the other hand hit me constant 20's (though I was wearing veracs and didn't dodge his mine attack) And took me 30 some brews to kill

I used 15 Rocktail, 3 prayer potions, and about 10 Unicorn scrolls in my entire fight with the Nomad, with semi-welfare gear since I really didn't know what to expect from the fight. He really wasn't that bad at all.

On the other hand, I totally failed at fighting the Avatar and ended up banking twice. First try, I found out whip is terrible, and about the roots. Second try, I found out Z Spear is good and then I got haxed because it wouldn't let me destroy the root. My character just ran up to it and stood diagonal from it like an idiot and waited for the Avatar to eat it. Third try, I started spam clicking the roots every time they popped up.

And each try took longer than the entire fight with the silly Nomad. >.>

EDIT: By the way, it's kind of funny how many people are ranting about the "millions in supplies" they spend to kill the boss. Total cost of supplies on my end was less than 80K. Even had I used all of my food that I brought, + a Tortoise full of food, it would've been less than 150k easily, meaning I'd get 6 shots without even spending a million. Maybe people should actually try the boss with normal food before bringing out the brews...

fx5nr7.png

Does killing jad = a Grand Master Quest? No it doesnt.

Do high requirements, great reward, long interesting story line, possibly puzzles and perhaps a big fight along the way = a Grand Master Quest? A good one does. However its all down to opinion. It seems a good quest but alot of things let it down and imo doesnt deserve the highest quest ranking but the second highest. Mainly all due to requirements and a reward thats best with already easy to get xp. That isnt insulting the quest itself.

As for Marks ramblings its nonsense to presume its a grand master due to the fact people havnt completed it yet considering there is a boss fight at the end. (Which is his point but nonsense imo) I didnt get around to killing Jad for like 3 or 4 YEARS. Just because I was lazy and didnt like combat. However I killed him fine on my first try. At like average combat before summoning. I wasnt very high at all. I think my range was either 86 to 90ish and my combat was just average. Yes I read guides though but thats because it wasnt a quest but a minigame. I had to learn it.. So my point is. Anyone who hasnt done it yet might just be preparing or waiting until they have enough time to be able to try multiple times. The same when I cant be bothered to do puzzles as I know I need to eat and go to bed.

Perhaps these people just got lives to attend to before they invest money into supplies to kill this quest monster. Doesnt suddenly mean its a grand master.. A insanely difficult puzzle that takes 6 months to solve doesnt suddenly mean its a grand master quest. On its own its just a very difficult puzzle. If killing a big fat monster is all a grand master quest needs then they should make Jad give quest points.

So a quest it is and a great quest but why its considered one of the most difficult to achieve due to a bad [wagon] monster is beyond me.

It almost seems as though this "quest" is designed to do one thing -- make the quest cape a status symbol superior to the fire cape and superior to many (most?) skill capes. This could cut by more than half the number of quest capes you see people walking around with out there. If you were starting from scratch, many skill capes would be much easier to obtain than the quest cape.

punitivedsig.png

It almost seems as though this "quest" is designed to do one thing -- make the quest cape a status symbol superior to the fire cape and superior to many (most?) skill capes. This could cut by more than half the number of quest capes you see people walking around with out there. If you were starting from scratch, many skill capes would be much easier to obtain than the quest cape.

Which if true is funny because the Soul Wars cape destroys it. BTW, does the Soul Wars cape you get as a reward only get used in the minigame and do Delfect curses deflect damage back on Avatar? I know they don't on Nomad.

Which if true is funny because the Soul Wars cape destroys it. BTW, does the Soul Wars cape you get as a reward only get used in the minigame and do Delfect curses deflect damage back on Avatar? I know they don't on Nomad.

Soul wars cape won't totally destroy quest cape as status symbol since there always will be fewer quest capes than soul wars capes. Having said that, the soul wars cape is much better looking and more unique, so people may choose to use those as the status symbol. For a long time, anyway, most people who do this quest probably will already have the quest cape.

punitivedsig.png

They work on the Avatar. But the most I've seen reflected was a 4.

And the cape works outside of Soul Wars.

priest_wiz.png