11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Does the not-losing-items thing hold for the first monster that you have to kill to?

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people who call it easy or not punishing enough have extremely high stats with exceptional bonuses given at certain levels.

I have the following stats:

97 attack

99 strength

95 defense

99 Hitpoints

82 Prayer

87 Magic

90 Ranged

89 Summoning

72 Herblore

Combat 133

I used veracs, fury, fire cape, barrows gloves, dragon boots, berserker ring and 34 rocktails with a couple brews and super restores. (used war tortoise)

I couldn't even get him to heal himself back to half hp. (aka get him to 1/5)

There lies your problem. All his attacks are magic based melee. So wearing Vearcs, you have a very low magic defense and hes going to hit you very very often.

Best advice is to wear anti-magic armor (black d-hide works fine) to minimize most of the hits. As others have stated, Z spear is really good for a weapon, but whip also works ok too. GS is ok, but can hurt you if you get unlucky and miss alot.

dawnsigblue-3.png

You people who call it easy or not punishing enough have extremely high stats with exceptional bonuses given at certain levels.

I have the following stats:

97 attack

99 strength

95 defense

99 Hitpoints

82 Prayer

87 Magic

90 Ranged

89 Summoning

72 Herblore

Combat 133

I used veracs, fury, fire cape, barrows gloves, dragon boots, berserker ring and 34 rocktails with a couple brews and super restores. (used war tortoise)

I couldn't even get him to heal himself back to half hp. (aka get him to 1/5)

There lies your problem. All his attacks are magic based melee. So wearing Vearcs, you have a very low magic defense and hes going to hit you very very often.

Best advice is to wear anti-magic armor (black d-hide works fine) to minimize most of the hits. As others have stated, Z spear is really good for a weapon, but whip also works ok too. GS is ok, but can hurt you if you get unlucky and miss alot.

You think I haven't tried that? He cuts through me like swiss cheese. I guess i need to get my already high stats up even higher >_>.

How the heck do you keep sara brews in a familiar and take it out MID battle?

Set the Left-Click action for the Summoning Icon next to your mini-map to "Take from BoB". If you have it set then when you left click on the icon you'll take whatever you have on your BoB until either your inventory gets full or your BoB isn't holding anything anymore.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Is it true, if you die fighting nomad, you spawn at soul wars bank next to your grave? :blink:

Yep. Which is why this big bad boss fight has no teeth.

Think about this for a second, though. I've judged from reading on many forums that most people require three or more deaths before they are able to beat him. If you lost your items every time, it would be extremely frustrating for many, many people. As it is, you spend quite a bit on supplies for each attempt.

They wouldn't necessarily have had to make it so you lose all your items. But right now you lose *none* of your items.

It's quite possible to kill him using inexpensive gear. If you kept your standard three or four items then it would have been quite doable.

This is supposed to be a "grandmaster" quest, and let's face it -- the quest itself was rather weak. The only real challenge was supposed to be the guy at the end. Only there *isn't* much of a challenge, you just throw some potions at him and down he goes in a couple of tries.

Also consider how well this quest will "wear" over a couple of years. I mean, there was a time when beating TzTok-Jad was considered a major accomplishment, and now guys do it with rubber chickens. After a year or two of additional updates this quest is not going to age well..

None of your items, except literally an hour of straight fighting along with 100k+ per try in supplies. A Grandmaster quest doesn't need to be a pain-in-the-[wagon]. Most people don't have extremes/soul split/90+ cb stats, and those are the people I've been hearing that have had to try killing Nomad 10+ times. That's over 1M in supplies from just *trying* to kill him. Just think how many people Jagex would piss off if they made it so those 10+ tries translated into 300k+ deaths (AT LEAST) every time. Also, in a few years, there will be harder quests for people to try and beat. That's how a game works. There's also going to be a rework in combat, so combat is going to be a lot more balanced, which means this quest will actually be more difficult to complete in the future (considering melee/range will be reduced in power).

guido_49.png

None of your items, except literally an hour of straight fighting along with 100k+ per try in supplies.

An hour? Hardly. It can be done in 10 minutes.

A Grandmaster quest doesn't need to be a pain-in-the-[wagon].

What is the point of having difficulty ratings on quests, and then making a new category for the most difficult quests, when they aren't really that difficult?

Most people don't have extremes/soul split/90+ cb stats, and those are the people I've been hearing that have had to try killing Nomad 10+ times.

And there are people who kill him on the first try without high prayer or Herblore. Or without spending a million on supplies.

Also, in a few years, there will be harder quests for people to try and beat. That's how a game works.

Obviously, my point was simply that this is going to look like a really weak "grandmaster" quest later on, given that it kinda does now.

Edit: A guy above posts a screenie of him killing the guy in CW armor. Can the rubber chicken be far behind? ;)

Are you seriously trying to say that every boss i've ever faced in every console game i've ever played - through hours and hours of hair pulling with some of them - that none of them were a challenge simply because you could reload and try again?

But those games are designed around the reload capability. They deliberately make the bosses super, super hard so that the challenge is figuring out how to kill the guy, because they know that's how the games work.

Here, Jagex seems to have tried that but come up short -- Nomad just isn't that difficult. Decent equipment, a bunch of sara brews and restores and down he goes. And that's *before* all the guides are published!

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Heres a worthy challenge for you then. Kill the Nomad at 105 combat or less (with NO combat stats above 85)

Quests are not made for 138's. Their aimed to be a challenge for the 80-115 crowd. This one might be the exception but there are still some lvl 110's to complete it already

You kinda contradicted yourself there.

And this quest was not aimed at the "80-115 crowd", by Jagex's specific requirements and recommendations.

Also so what if theirs no penalty on death.

So what? So it makes the fight too easy.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I don't really see the big deal about losing no items on death. He's still a challenging boss to fight, and the fight is a little more intensive than the usual "hit and eat" type monster. With this guy, you have to fight his clones and look out for him charging spells. It's a bit more like a more realistic battle. Thus, it's more exciting.

Some people might think that this quest is rather weak for a GM quest, but it's still another building block in the Mahjarrat Mysteries quest series.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I'm not a big fan of this quest...it was way to easy for a grandmaster, taking a mere 2 hours to complete the entire thing (most of that time spent hacking away at bosses). The 'puzzles' if you can even call them that were as easy as could be to figure out how to complete them.

Then theres the bosses... the Dying Avatar (or w/e it was called) just bored me to death (protect melee and wait for him to die). And the 'very difficult' Nomad...he was tough, yet still easy if you use proper methods and you don't even have to be creative while fighting him (load up on brews/restores and ruby bolt (e) him to death).

And just to put this into perspective I'm not a fan of quests (182 qp, only do quests for useful rewards), not very high combat, and use welfare gear (black d'hide, mind shield, snakeskin boots, no ring, most expensive item was a fury bought when it was alot cheaper) and it took next to no time for the puzzles and I only suffered one death to Nomad.

Hopefully when I can finally do WGS it'll be more of a Grandmaster quest

Neltak.png

None of your items, except literally an hour of straight fighting along with 100k+ per try in supplies.

An hour? Hardly. It can be done in 10 minutes. Sure. If you succeed in two attempts. This fight is hard, and you can't argue against that. It was obviously designed to take more than 3 tries to complete, and anyone not well versed in combat will have more than a hard time completing this quest. It takes over 5 minutes per attempt, 10+ minutes taking into account the time it takes to gear up, set up inventory, get there, and cry over dieing again. A few of my 130+ friends that duo corp with me died over 5 times with full brews + Yak, and they had overloads + turmoil. It's going to take more than 10 minutes for the average player.

A Grandmaster quest doesn't need to be a pain-in-the-[wagon].

What is the point of having difficulty ratings on quests, and then making a new category for the most difficult quests, when they aren't really that difficult? "Pain-in-the-[wagon]" = Annoying as [cabbage] because it's all busy work and no skill. "Difficult" = Challenging and requires new tactics.

Most people don't have extremes/soul split/90+ cb stats, and those are the people I've been hearing that have had to try killing Nomad 10+ times.

And there are people who kill him on the first try without high prayer or Herblore. Or without spending a million on supplies. OK then...? There are level 90's that can solo corp. Also, if Chuck Norris has 5 dollars and you have 5 dollars, Chuck Norris has more money than you.

Also, in a few years, there will be harder quests for people to try and beat. That's how a game works.

Obviously, my point was simply that this is going to look like a really weak "grandmaster" quest later on, given that it kinda does now. So will every other quest, boss monster, and skill in the future. I don't see what you're trying to point out here.

Edit: A guy above posts a screenie of him killing the guy in CW armor. Can the rubber chicken be far behind? ;)

guido_49.png

Why on EARTH does praying piety protect you from choking smoke when a facemask doesn't?

Read near the dead knight, its says "Only the pious"

Pious = Piety

Clues point out he is obviously a white knight

I know that, but WHY? How on earth does putting on a prayer help you avoid some smoke.. It doesn't make sense. None of this quest did. It's like we've been flung in at the deep end and there's kids pissing all around you.

asrhasrh.jpg

[hide=Spoiler]

Sorry Nomad, but CW > SW. :D

324f6.png

[/hide]

That's just sick and wrong. Sick...and...wrong...

Anywho, on a side note I think I'm gonna try this with black dhide and zammy spear, with rocktails and a super set. I may even give it a try with only a terrorbird, just to see if I can.(And cause I have a few more summoning lvls before tort.) I'm not likely to suceed, as I'm pretty horrible when it comes to combat, though I do tend to have a tiny bit of luck when it comes to not dying easily.

To the above post: I'm guessing it has something to do with calling down holy power to protect you. The gods intervening to protect their warrior and whatnot. Or perhaps it's unholy smoke, and you need holy power to protect you. The soul obelisk is a fairly sacred ground, what with all the souls that go through it.

Flyingjj.png

Just killed Nomad in one try with whip + black d'hide + extremes. Good... Fight...? It was easier than trio corp, and that's a walk in the park.

Edit: Reward also got me 95 defense and 136 cb. The cut scene at the end was cool. I want a boss top hat, too...

guido_49.png

Are you seriously trying to say that every boss i've ever faced in every console game i've ever played - through hours and hours of hair pulling with some of them - that none of them were a challenge simply because you could reload and try again?

But those games are designed around the reload capability. They deliberately make the bosses super, super hard so that the challenge is figuring out how to kill the guy, because they know that's how the games work.

Here, Jagex seems to have tried that but come up short -- Nomad just isn't that difficult. Decent equipment, a bunch of sara brews and restores and down he goes. And that's *before* all the guides are published!

Hmm, well maybe I just suck really hard. I was in my absolute best gear and he still managed to kill me over 10 times (no guide used though). I've never died on a quest boss before him, even on bosses where I don't take my best gear because I'm afraid of loosing it. Personally I like the fact that there's no risk of loosing your gear; it actually encourages the use of extremely valuable gear, for once.

So um, while I do agree that Nomad isn't the hardest boss ever, he's defiantly a big, big improvement on other quest bosses. I can't wait to see what Jagex has in store for us later in the year.

Hmm, well maybe I just suck really hard. I was in my absolute best gear and he still managed to kill me over 10 times (no guide used though). I've never died on a quest boss before him, even on bosses where I don't take my best gear because I'm afraid of loosing it. Personally I like the fact that there's no risk of loosing your gear; it actually encourages the use of extremely valuable gear, for once.

So um, while I do agree that Nomad isn't the hardest boss ever, he's defiantly a big, big improvement on other quest bosses. I can't wait to see what Jagex has in store for us later in the year.

Fight Lucien with all of the achievement diary armor on + a weapon? hp+1 special attack every other hit.

Edit: @ dude who killed Nomad in CW armor. Who's to say you didn't have another armor set in your inventory? Lol.

guido_49.png

wow reading all these posts makes me feel like a noob, I've died 8 times so far and haven't gotten nomad to half hp yet. (so far have been using black d'hide and a ags) I hate that blasted uber razor attack of his. Going to try using a Void range and ruby/diamond bolts now and sara brews, any other suggestions?

As for the reward it's a joke, as a member of Swlegends I can get 70 zeal in the time I've wasted doing this stupid quest but I <3 the quest cape.

lovelypanduh.png

lovelypanduh.png

[hide=Spoiler]

Sorry Nomad, but CW > SW. :D

324f6.png

[/hide]

Lol, nice job. =D>

And I definitely agree.

Made of Win!

Not quite, the people that complain about the lack of a challenge are well above 115+. If you were in that combat range it would be a challenge. You would not think of it as a *turn off the nintendo and go back to the last save and try the boss again*

Lulz, save on nintendo? Sorry to tell you, but if you even got a save, unless you were lucky, it was a 40 didget alphanumersymbolic code, with 0s being Os, 1s being ls, as being @s, and such. If you WERE lucky, the boss was still at the end of a two hour long dungeon with a chance of hitting creatures that can 1 hit you on one damage at the final hallway.

I honestly LOVED the boss fight. It was fun! I did it on my 2nd try, first was really just to feel out what was going on and so on. Loving the cape.

Fairly easy too. All I did was bring pure set+range pots, and leeched everything+soul split. Still had like +15 brews, 5 rests, and a few rocktails left over at the end.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]