11-Jan-2010 - Nomad�s Requiem

metoo1000

Am I missing something about the avatar? I keep getting him down to half health only for him to heal. I try to destroy the roots, but he's too fast. I've been using Ruby (e) bolts and then switching to melee.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My point is that making a quest solely around a really hard boss fight is dumb. And unoriginal. And they've already made GM quests look like just another level. Oh and it apparently has little story or reveals any backstory/history of anything.

So seriously? What's the point? This should've been some kind of elite level miniquest or minigame or something. Making it a full blown quest is, as Magzar put it... Gayyy.

This is the very first quest to be released that has a truly difficult boss fight. Can't get much more original than being the first. I highly disagree with you on whether or not this should be a grandmaster quest; it most certainly should be.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

[hide]Where do I find the "roots" I have to cut for the avatar to appear? all I see are bushes =S[/hide]

:unsure:

You'll see them when the time is right, and congratulations Sunli

[hide]I killed the eletric elemental thingy and the line from that room stopped glowing. and I solved the Water flowing puzzle and the machine is still working... looked all around that room yet I saw noo roots[/hide]

Did I miss something? <_<

[hide]Follow the brown vines on the floor to the back part of the room.[/hide]

Yeah I misread the question and when I replied my Chrome is being a nub and saying page not found >:( Sorry :P

[hide]I can assure you I see no roots at all... have I dont something wrong? am I glitched?[/hide]

gettin a little frustrated here to be honest D:

Chell_J.png

My point is that making a quest solely around a really hard boss fight is dumb. And unoriginal. And they've already made GM quests look like just another level. Oh and it apparently has little story or reveals any backstory/history of anything.

So seriously? What's the point? This should've been some kind of elite level miniquest or minigame or something. Making it a full blown quest is, as Magzar put it... Gayyy.

You finished the quest yet MHL?

No, but my brother explained it to me, and if it is as he says, then no, it shouldn't be a GM quest. Maybe I was unfair earlier, but this quest should not be GM. GM should be long, difficult quests that reveal a lot. This doesn't. It's honestly a boss fight. Exactly what happened is that someone created this guy, created the boss fight, and someone at Jagex decided that he should write a quest around it instead.

This is not, and should never have been, a Grandmaster Quest. I cannot say if it is good or not, but I can tell you that the classification of it as GM is wrong. And I personally don't think quest bosses should be this difficult. It's a little overkill.

I beg the differ.

When it comes to this quest, length is very subjective. One could solve a puzzle 10 times as fast as another for example.

I'm assuming Jagex sees it as something good enough to quailify for the length aspect, and I have to say I can't disagree.

As for history, I'm not sure that should be a 'requirement' for a GM quest. Priest In Peril is a great example for the opposite side of the stick- one of the easiest quests out there, revealing quite a bit of history.

The way I see it, this quest is a build-up for the 'history-revealing' part.

Lastly, if one is to solve this quest as intended (as in, without a guide) then one may find it very hard. From what I hear the puzzles are challenging and the boss obviously is aswell, the reward cannot go unnoticed and the challenge is at stake.

You shouldn't be so quick to judge, to my eyes this quest deserves a GM status.

I beg to differ as it lacks two things that GM quests were planned to and meant to have. They were meant to be very long and they were meant to be *huge* in terms of storyline and that stuff. This quest by their own admission is listed as "medium." And from what I hear, the storyline for it looks very thin. GM quests were not meant to "build-up" the history part, but be the deliverance of the history building that the previous quests did to build. As far as I can tell this quest considers very little of what came before, while WGS, a true GM quest, takes off on other quests such as Temple of Ikov.

I mean, if I wanted to play a game with super tough bosses and crappy in-game storylines I'd go play WoW.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I beg to differ as it lacks two things that GM quests were planned to and meant to have. They were meant to be very long and they were meant to be *huge* in terms of storyline and that stuff. This quest by their own admission is listed as "medium." And from what I hear, the storyline for it looks very thin. GM quests were not meant to "build-up" the history part, but be the deliverance of the history building that the previous quests did to build. As far as I can tell this quest considers very little of what came before, while WGS, a true GM quest, takes off on other quests such as Temple of Ikov.

I mean, if I wanted to play a game with super tough bosses and crappy in-game storylines I'd go play WoW.

Forgive us, MHL. We've all forgotten that you're a content developer for Jagex, and that you alone know what a grandmaster quest truly entails.

dgs5.jpg

Am I missing something about the avatar? I keep getting him down to half health only for him to heal. I try to destroy the roots, but he's too fast. I've been using Ruby (e) bolts and then switching to melee.

[hide]You don't seem to be missing anything, unless I missed something as well. He's quite annoying. You can either let him heal 3 times(the max he can) or be constantly on the look out for the roots. I suggest letting him heal once then pinning him in the corner that the root sprung up. I don't think it will appear in the same place twice, so when he starts to move from the corner you can run to the vine before he gets to it. Hopefully that helps.[/hide]

Flyingjj.png

Forgive us, MHL. We've all forgotten that you're a content developer for Jagex, and that you alone know what a grandmaster quest truly entails.

Yeah srsly. There has been only ONE other GM quest so for and MHL already knows what GM quests should be..... really?

In other news, unfortunately Juna didn't reveal anything interesting. Basically the conversation is just:

[hide]Me: ...And, finally, Nomad fell before me.

Juna: Impressive... most impressive.[/hide]

No Morningwood, that was what they told us when they released WGS. It was on the forums when people were asking about future GM quests. That was what they told us.

1) They would be very long

2) They were going to be rare, like around one per year.

3) They were going to be wide reaching in terms of history and storyline

4) They were going to have high level requirements.

While this quest has a nice puzzle and a very difficult boss fight, it shouldn't have been a GM quest. It should've been master with the end fight scaled back a bit.

But that's my opinion and I should of course be riddiculed for it.

[hide]I can assure you I see no roots at all... have I dont something wrong? am I glitched?[/hide]

[hide]Looking back at your previous posts, I think I understand. Quick question to be sure: Are you still in the second puzzle area? That is, have you only killed one machine so far? If so, the avatar doesn't appear in that room. You said you solved the water puzzle and the machine is still working in that area? Then you probably didn't solve the water puzzle. You need all three lines flowing into the machine.[/hide]

Flyingjj.png

[hide]Looking back at your previous posts, I think I understand. Quick question to be sure: Are you still in the second puzzle area? That is, have you only killed one machine so far? If so, the avatar doesn't appear in that room. You said you solved the water puzzle and the machine is still working in that area? Then you probably didn't solve the water puzzle. You need all three lines flowing into the machine.[/hide]

OOOOOOOO that explains a lot... I went all over the place looking for the roots and couldn't find them :wall:

Thanks very much :D

Chell_J.png

Well I'd say because of the final fight you'd have to class it as a grandmaster because that's what it is.. It's relatively short yes, and it's not that diverse (you spend alot of time in one area) but we do have insight into Nomad and his ambitions and we can only guess what he will do next.

If Nomad was this tough to wound him how tough will Lucien be to stop?

I do think this is only a taste of what is to come last year, first update in 2009 was In pyre need, so there's a huge contrast so far in terms of updates :P

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

No Morningwood, that was what they told us when they released WGS. It was on the forums when people were asking about future GM quests. That was what they told us.

2) They were going to be rare, as in one per year.

While this quest has a nice puzzle and a very difficult boss fight, it shouldn't have been a GM quest. It should've been master with the end fight scaled back a bit.

Well perhaps they changed their mind a bit. As this quest IS pretty short, maybe they'll release another, longer GM quest later this year. Just because GM quests are "rare" doesn't mean there can't be more than one in a year.

Well I'd say because of the final fight you'd have to class it as a grandmaster because that's what it is.. It's relatively short yes, and it's not that diverse (you spend alot of time in one area) but we do have insight into Nomad and his ambitions and we can only guess what he will do next.

A boss fight alone shouldn't make a quest a GM quest and you know that. It's just a poor decision they made IMO.

I think they may have already killed the specialness of GM quests, or at least they have in my eyes.

First of all, I'd dearly love to see proof of Jagex saying any of this. Second, you'd prefer an easier, but longer quest? Sorry, I guess I just prefer a little challenge in my gaming. It sounds like you didn't want a GM quest at all. By admitting that the boss is too strong to be considered a master quest, you defeat your own point. It's obviously more difficult than just master, so it must be a... ?

Right.

dgs5.jpg

First of all, I'd dearly love to see proof of Jagex saying any of this. Second, you'd prefer an easier, but longer quest? Sorry, I guess I just prefer a little challenge in my gaming. It sounds like you didn't want a GM quest at all. By admitting the the boss is too strong to be considered a master quest, you defeat your own point. It's obviously more difficult than just master, so it must be a... ?

Right.

Actually, you made my point. The difficulty of the boss fight made it it's own contradiction. If they wanted a boss fight this difficult then the quest should be a GM and have more to it. A lot more to it.

And I'm not gonna find where they said that as I have neither the time nor inclination to search old threads in the RS forums about it, if the thread is even there anymore.

But again, I'm sorry. For you see, I forgot that Jagex was the corporate embodiment of Jesus Christ and is therefore completely infallable. Again, my mistake.

A boss fight alone shouldn't make a quest a GM quest and you know that. It's just a poor decision they made IMO.

I think they may have already killed the specialness of GM quests, or at least they have in my eyes.

WGS fights were pretty simple though you had a massive advantage with the Stone of Jas and the Balance Elemental was a pushover, yes WGS was the first GM so obviously as a developer you have to try and live up to the first and make the sequel go that step further, in terms of the puzzles they match WGS, in terms of the fights they exceed WGS but you have to realise that that quest line was building up for quite a while but Nomads quest this is the only real one so far, but yes he's most likely a Mahjarrat because of his power I do think a possible lack of diversity with the areas but I do feel around the 2 hour mark is a nice place to end a quest :razz:

EDIT:

Sorry about that, what I said was out of line.

Anywho, I thought the quest was fairly well done, albeit the requirements were much lower than they could've been. I think WGS should've been a requirement for it.

Coandca5.png

99Defence.png99Hitpoints.png99Range.png99Attack.png99Strength.png

Actually, you made my point. The difficulty of the boss fight made it it's own contradiction. If they wanted a boss fight this difficult then the quest should be a GM and have more to it. A lot more to it.

But quests are sorted by difficulty, and because this is by far one of the most challenging fights in Runescape, it is inherently a GM quest. Once again, you seem to be under some strange impression that a quest's length makes it more difficult, when in fact the CONTENT or REQUIREMENTS of a quest are what matters. Difficult content? Check.

And I'm not gonna find where they said that as I have neither the time nor inclination to search old threads in the RS forums about it, if it was even there.

That's very convenient for you.

But again, I'm sorry. For you see, I forgot that Jagex was the corporate embodiment of Jesus Christ and is therefore completely infallable. Again, my mistake.

This applies in no way to this argument. I don't see how your religious affiliation affects the difficulty of this quest.

EDIT: I'll grant you that the boss fight is worthy of a grandmaster quest. Everything leading up to it as well.

Thanks for admitting that it is, in fact, a GM quest and worthy of that title.

dgs5.jpg

WGS fights were pretty simple though you had a massive advantage with the Stone of Jas and the Balance Elemental was a pushover, yes WGS was the first GM so obviously as a developer you have to try and live up to the first and make the sequel go that step further, in terms of the puzzles they match WGS, in terms of the fights they exceed WGS but you have to realise that that quest line was building up for quite a while but Nomads quest this is the only real one so far, but yes he's most likely a Mahjarrat because of his power I do think a possible lack of diversity with the areas but I do feel around the 2 hour mark is a nice place to end a quest :razz:

I understand what you mean. I'll grant you that the boss fight is worthy of a grandmaster quest. Everything leading up to it as well. But for a GM quest it is lacking. That was the point I wanted to make.

It should either have an easier fight and be a master, or more to the quest and the same fight and be a GM.

It needs more story to it and I think you are aware of that.

In my understanding, Nomad was like one of Lucien's followers, and looking back at the fight in wildy, I'd say Lucien is going to be a tough fight if we ever get to fight him face to face.

That was my guess but he could also be a follower of Zamorak, Zaros, or even a different Mahjarrat. I do agree that if we ever have to fight Lucien it will be extremely difficult. I would guess that there is going to be a large battle that includes Zaros, Zamorak, Lucien and possibly Guthix.

britonlongbo.png

First of all, I'd dearly love to see proof of Jagex saying any of this. Second, you'd prefer an easier, but longer quest? Sorry, I guess I just prefer a little challenge in my gaming. It sounds like you didn't want a GM quest at all. By admitting the the boss is too strong to be considered a master quest, you defeat your own point. It's obviously more difficult than just master, so it must be a... ?

Right.

And I'm not gonna find where they said that as I have neither the time nor inclination to search old threads in the RS forums about it, if the thread is even there anymore.

Why are you assuming this quest isn't enough for grandmaster and making claims that Jagex did a bad job and named it the wrong rank when you haven't even done the quest.

For all you know this could be incredibly large as far as impact goes in WGS and will lead up to another grandmaster quest.

Let Jagex do there thing and criticize their updates AFTER you complete them..

In my understanding, Nomad was like one of Lucien's followers, and looking back at the fight in wildy, I'd say Lucien is going to be a tough fight if we ever get to fight him face to face.

That was my guess but he could also be a follower of Zamorak, Zaros, or even a different Mahjarrat. I do agree that if we ever have to fight Lucien it will be extremely difficult. I would guess that there is going to be a large battle that includes Zaros, Zamorak, Lucien and possibly Guthix.

I hope its those four fighting each other and they all get tired out, the last one standing is injured from battle, and practically dead, we just walk over a tap them on the shoulder and they die, quest complete!