Like omigosh! Its the 80s thread.

DragnFly

Most posts on this board lately have been news stories, political/religious arguments, or other serious posts. There has been a shortage of light hearted, fun posts. So with that in mind, I bring you this...

A post about one of the more interesting decades in recent time, the 80s. A time where Reagan was president, big hair and demin jackets were popular, the Berlin Wall fell, most kids had a trapper keeper, John Hughes was at the top of his game, glam metal was popular, and everybody was trying to do the moonwalk.

This post is a place to discuss all things 80s. What was popular, what you like and dislike about the decade, and just general discussion of the decade and all things related to it.

Only rule of the thread is it should be about pop culture, events, or things that are otherwise related to the decade. Be it fashion, political events, movies, television, music, or anything else. Please try to keep things civil though, I want this to be a fun post.

Personally, I was born in the earlier 80s myself, and am a fan of most things 80s. Though I was a bit young to get the full experience obviously, I still love the decade.

It was the last decade where rock and glam metal was common and popular, which I miss. There is still some good music out there, but these styles of music seems to have become scarce. We need more bands like Van Halen, AC/DC, Motley Crue, KISS, Guns N' Roses, Poison, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, Warrant, and Night Ranger among others. Not all originated from the 80s, but where popular and influential in that decade.

The 80s also had some good pop music and one hit wonders. From names like Michael Jackson, which have stood the test of time to people like Corey Hart, Tiffany, and A Flock of Seagulls, no shortage of interesting music in the decade. A lot of music of the decade was catchy and feel good, something that started to change in the 90s.

Movie wise, I am a fan of John Hughes work, especially The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller, and never quite understood his departure from the movie business after the decade. Also, the group that was labelled and become known as "The Brat Pack" (For those unfamiliar, a group that includes: Anthony Michael Hall, Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy, Emilio Estevez, Rob Lowe, Andrew McCarthy, and Demi Moore) was a underrated group of actors, who I think should have probably made it further in Hollywood than most of them did.

Aside from just John Hughes work, there was no shortage of fun and interesting varietys of films in the 80s either. Some movies that pop off the top of my head are Footloose, Top Gun, Short Circuit, Gremlins, Risky Business, St. Elmo's Fire, Airplane, Back to the Future, ET, Rocky, Eddie and the Cruisers, The Karate Kid, Beetlejuice, Caddyshack, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and Dirty Dancing. There are many more, but I am just giving examples rather than trying to form a complete list. A lot of the decades films (as well as television shows) were popular enough, they are being remade (poorly usually) today.

Fashion wise... what more can you say than it was a unique and fun time? Clothes were colorful and Bugle Boy was popular, and hair was huge. Plus trapper keepers as an accessory kicked [wagon]. Sure many of the fashion statements back then where abit eccentric and would probably get some funny looks today, but I liked the creativity and uniqueness. I miss such styles, it surely beats the sagging pants and some of the trashier looks of today.

(I will probably edit this post later to include some of my thoughts on television shows, video games and possibly other things of the decade.)

So what do you think of the 80s? What do you like and dislike of the decade?

[bleep] Truman. Wrong decade, but he caused it all.

All else I know about the 80s that isn't history related is Metallica and Cliif Burton's death in 1986. And some other music stuff, but not all that much.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

I am a product of the early 80's too.

Cartoons like Heman and Ducktales..... lol

Teddy Ruxpin and nightbright!

and of course....the Metal bands :D

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

Missed out on the 80's by a year. Meh.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

OMG I LOVE 80's MOVIES!

I love glam metal too.

Unfortunately I was born in 1990, so I missed the 80s. But tbh I'd have to be born by at least 1985 to remember anything, so I missed the 80s by a long shot technically :P

I <333 Breakfast club

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

It's funny that people act as if they remember the 80s as if it was yesterday just because they were born during the 80s... :lol:

Anyway, I'm an early 90s child (1992), and I don't remember anything about the collapse of the Soviet Union. I do remember watching the television with my parents and seeing Bill Clinton give a State of the Union Address (or at least I assume it was). I also remember random incidents in which I was a toddler and was playing with a plastic toy shopping cart and managed to somehow get it burned by a fireplace because it was close enough to the heat for the plastic to melt (and my mom saw it and helped me, :P). Other than random flashbacks from when I was very little, I remember almost nothing about the early 90s.

As for the 80s, I would have to say that the unveiling of the B-2 bomber was one of the wildest military gadgets of that decade... It's like something from Star Wars.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I was born in 1994, so i dont know much about the eighties

but its like a slap in the face to me that Metallica isnt mentioned D:

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Ohhhh here she comes! Watch out boy she'll chew you up! Ohhh here she comes! She's a MANEATER ;)

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Ohhhh here she comes! Watch out boy she'll chew you up! Ohhh here she comes! She's a MANEATER ;)

For some reason, this reminds me of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ocOM3tnjs

It might be unrelated, so don't look at me like I'm a nutter.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Yeah. A child of 1994 I missed out on all that lovely jeans-to-the-waist and big hair things. I did however see Footloose a few years ago as put on by my high school... And then we have pictures of my parents. Oh joy.

So I'm pretty sure I didn't miss much in terms of fashion. In terms of music and TV, well, I listen to most of the 80's bands and have seen a fair number of 80's sitcoms which were actually good compared to today's crap.

Yeah. A child of 1994 I missed out on all that lovely jeans-to-the-waist and big hair things. I did however see Footloose a few years ago as put on by my high school... And then we have pictures of my parents. Oh joy.

So I'm pretty sure I didn't miss much in terms of fashion. In terms of music and TV, well, I listen to most of the 80's bands and have seen a fair number of 80's sitcoms which were actually good compared to today's crap.

Heavenly_Sgs.png"]My link[/url]

This is my first post on these forums so hope it works :P

I loved the 80s (sorry to say I'm reasonably old), and the music always seems to make a comeback in some tv programme or movie. But I have to say, seeing some of these bands make a comeback (hmm Spandau Ballet) is kinda wierd and probably 20 years too late.

However, the music, film industry was pretty cool.. the clothes weren't so much...

Heavenly_Sgs.png"]My link[/url]

I hate most 80's movies. Yes, they were original, but other than that they had nothing to offer.

And dear lord, Azvareth, I hope you're talking about bands like Guns n Roses, because Iron Maiden can blow any metal band of today out of the waters. :)

proud to be a 90s kid <3

This is my first post on these forums so hope it works :P

I loved the 80s (sorry to say I'm reasonably old), and the music always seems to make a comeback in some tv programme or movie. But I have to say, seeing some of these bands make a comeback (hmm Spandau Ballet) is kinda wierd and probably 20 years too late.

However, the music, film industry was pretty cool.. the clothes weren't so much...

welcome :)

I'm game

Gi joe and transformers (fun story behind the burghardts)

ataleofvictory.jpg

bc.jpg

lfaso.jpg

THUNDERCATS

Larryk.jpg

Spiderman and his amazing friends

Dan.jpg

Return of the Jedi!

qunnwilliams.jpg

The NBA was still good...

krambis.jpg

Crappy movies were made

edgale2.jpg

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

^Show off.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif