Long Term Effects of "Exp Weekend"

Aiel

I just want to see some ideas on what the long term effect of Jagex's Exp weekend could be. Mostly looking for the economic effects, but xp effects are ok too.

I think its going to cause a massive rise in raw mats for about the next month, followed by a crash in produced materials. Also for that weekend, GWD will be extremely empty (atleast for saturday), possibly causing a rise in GWD items.

Also, most skills will be unaffected, but this will cause a severe devaluation of xp in skills like summoning (for example, I almost had 88 summoning banked and now I have over 96, if I use them correctly)

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on the raw materials, but not on the GWD stuff. People may actually sell their armours to buy more materials.

S_I_G.jpg

Those with a little bit of knowledge are more dangerous than those with none.

3 weeks for raw materials to sky rocket.

They said they may be doing it again depending on how this one goes... More prices rising FTW?

I personally spent 400 - 450M on herbs for the rise. ;).

I see melee armors such as bandos and godswords dropping as people will sell them to skill on these weekend(s).

One of the main reasons I like RuneScape was because it didn't have things like this. I hated WarRock where they had special events where you could get 2 - 3x the XP, more rewards... Just ruined it IMO. ANd yes, devalues XP drastically.

09144a99bb.png

3 weeks for raw materials to sky rocket.

They said they may be doing it again depending on how this one goes... More prices rising FTW?

I personally spent 400 - 450M on herbs for the rise. ;).

I see melee armors such as bandos and godswords dropping as people will sell them to skill on these weekend(s).

One of the main reasons I like RuneScape was because it didn't have things like this. I hated WarRock where they had special events where you could get 2 - 3x the XP, more rewards... Just ruined it IMO. ANd yes, devalues XP drastically.

I agree, it creates stress on the economy by creating a "skilling rush" and on the players by forcing them to play during this time, and by making them feel they need to get the maximum amount of xp. I guarantee you for the first 10-15 hours of this, the GE will be completely empty except for people training "bank" skills. No one standing around, no one having fun, it'll become solid grinding. While I'm sort of glad as it gets me cheap unicorns/yaks without having to camp waterfeinds or burst lobsters, I really hope this doesn't become a regular part of the game.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

And is this "exp weekend" every weekend?

Nope, just weekend of March 12th.

Isn't that around Spring Break?

It may be.

Balance may be power, but chaos is still pretty damn fun.

Lielac.png

Canada can't be second rate, polar bears are their main mode of transportation.

God, this sounds horrible.

This is quite possibly the most disappointed I've been at Jagex in forever.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

I don't see why they need to give free exp. We have TOG, Penguins, Randoms that all could give you an Exp lamp. We have Quest rewards, Diary reward lamps, easier than ever ways to train and so on. This is just totally stupid. If this was cancelled then they'd finally do something right. The possible downside to that is the billions spent on flipping that suddenly becomes worthless. But who cares about that, right? You can make millions every day just by playing 5 min every few hours.

All armour prices are dropping.

Go try buy a bandos item, your get it for under its middle price. Same for barrows.

Everyone is selling their armour for items to skill.

Personally, I can't decide how to spend the first hours, probably going to try get the charms needed for 73-88 summon this week, then get it in the first hour of x2.7

IGN: HesFearless.

-Jamie

I think its painfully obvious they are trying to slow down herblore and prayer's continuous growth in cost. Right after the prayer update we saw Blood Runs Deep, which gave 450k prayer exp (or was a possibility) and then we saw nomad, which gave a fair amount of experience which most people probably spent on prayer as well.

What this update does is, it allows people who have the money to spend on high level prayer and herblore, buy it now. This may just bring down some of these prices into reason. They could bring out a prayer update tomorrow that completely makes dragon bones inferior, or they could give people a bonus exp weekend which doesn't require any balancing thoughts since theres no new content.

In my opinion its a weak move, we really need alternatives to herblore and prayer.

And Jagex said they want people to get some EXP before they release the new skill, perhaps the new skill is really going to shake up RS as we know it? It seems strange that they'd want to do this, what changes can this new skill bring?

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

There is no point in buying prayer for that weekend though and the Gilder Altar is still a better option, but the multiplier doesn't apply to that. With the exception of prayer pretty much every skill is going to become more expensive for a period as people mass buy for skilling or merchanting. Good job JagEx =D>

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

And Jagex said they want people to get some EXP before they release the new skill, perhaps the new skill is really going to shake up RS as we know it?

If this wasn't just a BS reason, it's fair to say the new skill is going to have a massive impact on runescape, more than any of the other skills (when they first came out).

Zerker_jane.png

I'm gonna forgo the gold rush and just do agility that weekend. Problem solved.

Same here.

Although that's not to say i might put some cash into herblore to merchant. If i'm not mistaken doesn't it also mean that herbs + seconds will go up massively before the udate then as it's going on most potions will drop in price due to the huge influx in supply.

edtheripperpixelsigv2zy8.png

Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.

99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.

Anyone at Manchester University PM me

I don't see why they need to give free exp. We have TOG, Penguins, Randoms that all could give you an Exp lamp. We have Quest rewards, Diary reward lamps, easier than ever ways to train and so on. This is just totally stupid. If this was cancelled then they'd finally do something right. The possible downside to that is the billions spent on flipping that suddenly becomes worthless. But who cares about that, right? You can make millions every day just by playing 5 min every few hours.

So you wont be playing for that weekend then? Surely it would be hypocritical of your opinion to play during it?

newsigb.png

99 Attack - Done

Short term - Most people will be "Yays, m04r expzzzzzzzz!!!! :D", Herbs and shizz will go up cept for some items like the capped spirit shards. Some items will go down as people will most likely sell their stuff for herbs and stuff to exploit this (I know I might do if I stop slaying or may get 80 or so mage).

Long term - People will then be all "againaginagainagainagain", herbs and co will never go back to normal - egs of prices never going back = d bones, bandos etc, Jagex will do more harm than good to the economy, however more people will profit from MTK. Herby will become even more costly with everyone buying up items and then MASS numbers of insane pots enter the economy.

Yays for fail plan. Good idea in concept, but it's going to be used on the wrong skills. Slayer needs it kinda because it is a tough and slow skill to train, so does rc, but people will just herblore and summon. So YAY for cheap pots and expensive herbs - best thing to happen for my slaying since my visage :D

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

I will use whatever charms I have in my bank at that moment. I'll probably get my last combat over 90. Then I will Slay for a bit until the xp drops to a low multiplier and take advantage of the empty MH worlds.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

I honestly doubt that there will be any long-term effects caused by this weekend. Raws will spike and finished products will hit a minimum after the weekend, but in a week or two everything will go back to how it was, with some people who profited from the spike, some people who lost from prices going down, and a lot of people who gained maybe a mil of free xp.

I really can't see the price of say, herbs remaining at their peak, just because there might be another one of these weekends in 5 or 6 months. In due time, there will be a same situation as the current one, and prices will peak or drop for a short period of time. Afterwards, the hype will be gone and everything goes back to the way things were. All this talk about 'ruining the economy' is BS.

In the end it will do exactly what it is meant to do: give people a lot of bonus xp in one weekend. Whether this is positive or nagative can be discussed, but the economy won't suffer that much from it, definately not in the long run.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.