What computer do you play runescape on?

nightshade53

[hide=quote]

I didn't say it was proof of anything, in case you missed it.

Before using a second monitor, I would just 'seperate' my screen into parts, like the left side for Word/RS, then the right side for a movie. I did not explicitly say that having two monitors improved my results. It was simply an observation that I had noted. To get a full understanding of the effects, I would need to have a study on me for a significant amount of time where the only variables were the amount of monitors. Obviously, I would not be willing to be part of that study.

Anyway, as Maulmachine has said, this is irrelevant to this topic.

I disagree. It is completely relevant, as what makes an "awesome" setup, to me, is not 5 different LCD monitors, blazing fast PCs, and sweet-looking MAC mouses with no mousepads. A sweet setup in my world is a computer that will let me use it in a way that does not discomfort my body, allowing me to focus on the work I am doing or the game I am playing without needing to worry about my health.

You guys look at a "dream mouse" and it would probably have tons of buttons and lights and other crazy features. My "dream mouse" is one that functions nicely, and feels like my hand is in a natural, comfortable position.

It is clear that we value different things, and I dont think everybody needs to align themselves with my point of view, but it does worry me how extreme your desires for high-end setups are. In most of the pictures presented, I do not even see a wrist-supporting mousepad. To me, this is a travesty. I am not asking you guys to buy whole new keyboards and mouses that are the most health-friendly things on the market. But not even showing enough awareness to do yourself a favor and use a 10-20 dollar mousepad, well, its just concerning.

Also people are saying I am being rude. Thats funny, because all I am talking about is concern for YOUR health. I am spreading awareness so that you can live longer, happier, more comfortable lives and you return the favor by deeming it as rudeness.

Thats okay, though. Why? Because I have studied enough psychology to know that all of your responses have just come from your primitive, illogical defense mechanisms. I have shown you a news article about the dangers of multi tasking. A simple Google search of "carpal tunnel" will tell you that buying more ergonomic products help to prevent this stupidly preventable ailment. Why do you think ergonomic products develop? Why do you think safety manuals and labels come with our electronics? The problem is real, and your setups are doing nothing to sustain your health.

The ammount of delusional denial in this thread is just insane. Sorry folks, but uncomfortable and unnatural computer setups poses real health issues. I used to have wrist pain when I was younger, then I started using better setups and it went away. My dad works in an office and developed carpal tunnel. He needed surgery. Did he have a moue pad? No. Was his computer situated in a strange place on his desk? Yes. Thousands of people develop health problems from computer use. It isn't made up, sorry. No matter how much your mind wishes that it WAS made up.

EDIT:

I would also like to add that people seem to have terrible misunderstandings of scientific research. You guys read articles and find something like "The correlation is not completely certain." and then you discredit the article as being untrue. This is how the scientific community works. Its like the creations who say "Darwin's THEORY of evolution? Well, creation is a THEORY too, then!" But, they just have a complete misunderstanding of the scientific community's definition of "theroy".

The same is for the CNN article I cited. They have to say these things, because it is extremely hard, in any field of science, to make conclusive, precise, and absolutely confident claims. In studies of human behaviour, it is even harder to make these claims because of how much we don't yet know about the brain. Them telling you that a correlation is uncertain doesn't mean that there isnt a good probability of them being correct. To make concrete claims on scientific research takes decades upon decades of testing, confirming, and retesting. This doesn't mean we can ignore preliminary findings.

[/hide]

I work as a part-time software developer and web designer. I write thousands of words and perform thousands of keystrokes a day for 6-8 hours a day. I have been doing this for 4 years now. That is not a significant amount of time. You are being rude by telling all of us that we are ruining our bodies by using these flashy computers and peripherals. That is defiantly not the case. I have never used a ergonomic desk, mouse, keyboard my whole life and My bones are in perfect shape. There are external factors to consider in most medical cases which document people operating a computer in a non-ergonomic way.

Your definition of a dream mouse is your definition. My mouse looks cool, has many buttons, but is still "Safe to use".

You also have to factor in the peoples living environments. I live with my parents and sister in a 1200 sq-ft rent house in the middle in Kentucky. There is no room to place a computer desk, so I use a crappy table to hold my monitors and a large chair as a place to sit, hold mouse, and hold keyboard.

You have no right to tell us that our setups are dangerous to our health. If we want to do something to effect our body then it is our choice. It is not yours, our parents, or higher (corrupted) powers. If our setups do not directly effect you then don't complain about it. You and your dad could of had a genetic disorder or something passed down from earlier generations. That does not justify the need for me to use a special desk. My uncle is 56, has been working with computers for 25 years, and doesn't use a ergonomic setup at all. He has never had wrist or any health problems other then a genetic case of diabetes. Not every person is alike.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't say it was proof of anything, in case you missed it.

Before using a second monitor, I would just 'seperate' my screen into parts, like the left side for Word/RS, then the right side for a movie. I did not explicitly say that having two monitors improved my results. It was simply an observation that I had noted. To get a full understanding of the effects, I would need to have a study on me for a significant amount of time where the only variables were the amount of monitors. Obviously, I would not be willing to be part of that study.

Anyway, as Maulmachine has said, this is irrelevant to this topic.

I disagree. It is completely relevant, as what makes an "awesome" setup, to me, is not 5 different LCD monitors, blazing fast PCs, and sweet-looking MAC mouses with no mousepads. A sweet setup in my world is a computer that will let me use it in a way that does not discomfort my body, allowing me to focus on the work I am doing or the game I am playing without needing to worry about my health.

You guys look at a "dream mouse" and it would probably have tons of buttons and lights and other crazy features. My "dream mouse" is one that functions nicely, and feels like my hand is in a natural, comfortable position.

It is clear that we value different things, and I dont think everybody needs to align themselves with my point of view, but it does worry me how extreme your desires for high-end setups are. In most of the pictures presented, I do not even see a wrist-supporting mousepad. To me, this is a travesty. I am not asking you guys to buy whole new keyboards and mouses that are the most health-friendly things on the market. But not even showing enough awareness to do yourself a favor and use a 10-20 dollar mousepad, well, its just concerning.

Also people are saying I am being rude. Thats funny, because all I am talking about is concern for YOUR health. I am spreading awareness so that you can live longer, happier, more comfortable lives and you return the favor by deeming it as rudeness.

Thats okay, though. Why? Because I have studied enough psychology to know that all of your responses have just come from your primitive, illogical defense mechanisms. I have shown you a news article about the dangers of multi tasking. A simple Google search of "carpal tunnel" will tell you that buying more ergonomic products help to prevent this stupidly preventable ailment. Why do you think ergonomic products develop? Why do you think safety manuals and labels come with our electronics? The problem is real, and your setups are doing nothing to sustain your health.

The ammount of delusional denial in this thread is just insane. Sorry folks, but uncomfortable and unnatural computer setups poses real health issues. I used to have wrist pain when I was younger, then I started using better setups and it went away. My dad works in an office and developed carpal tunnel. He needed surgery. Did he have a moue pad? No. Was his computer situated in a strange place on his desk? Yes. Thousands of people develop health problems from computer use. It isn't made up, sorry. No matter how much your mind wishes that it WAS made up.

EDIT:

I would also like to add that people seem to have terrible misunderstandings of scientific research. You guys read articles and find something like "The correlation is not completely certain." and then you discredit the article as being untrue. This is how the scientific community works. Its like the creations who say "Darwin's THEORY of evolution? Well, creation is a THEORY too, then!" But, they just have a complete misunderstanding of the scientific community's definition of "theroy".

The same is for the CNN article I cited. They have to say these things, because it is extremely hard, in any field of science, to make conclusive, precise, and absolutely confident claims. In studies of human behaviour, it is even harder to make these claims because of how much we don't yet know about the brain. Them telling you that a correlation is uncertain doesn't mean that there isnt a good probability of them being correct. To make concrete claims on scientific research takes decades upon decades of testing, confirming, and retesting. This doesn't mean we can ignore preliminary findings.

I don't see why this issue needs to be pressed. You say that you understand psychology, so you should realize that you're not going to persuade us. The reason the CNN article that you cited says that there are uncertain findings is because there are other studies that have shown the opposite results. I'm arguing about eye strain here, carpal tunnel is slightly different, and I'd rather not get into a medical discussion on a thread regarding computers. Now, you've taken it upon yourself to enlighten us about your ideal computer set-up, but when numerous people have disregarded your statements you still press the matter. It isn't that we don't recognize your opinions as valid, and I'd agree with you in regards to a number of points, its just that this topic was directed at the technical aspects of a computer, NOT the ergonomic aspects of a computer rig. In regards to your talk about how you aren't being rude, because listening to you is in our best interest. That's not an excuse, just because you may be right doesn't make it necessarily nice. If you want to have an in depth discussion on ergonomics, why not make a thread in Off-Topic?

Here's a picture about proper ergonomics if anyone is interested, I hate being this off topic :???:

File:Computer_Workstation_Variables.jpg

On Topic:

I'm not a dual monitor man myself, unless my Iphone counts :mrgreen:

Here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 3.ghz

XP SP3

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

4 GB DDR3 Ram

4 Fans

Acer 26' Monitor(I think its 26, unsure)

Some logitech keyboard

Some logitech moust( I want the R.A.T sooo bad)

and bose speaker system, sennheiser HD595 for headphones.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

I work as a part-time software developer and web designer. I write thousands of words and perform thousands of keystrokes a day for 6-8 hours a day. I have been doing this for 4 years now. That is not a significant amount of time. You are being rude by telling all of us that we are ruining our bodies by using these flashy computers and peripherals. That is defiantly not the case. I have never used a ergonomic desk, mouse, keyboard my whole life and My bones are in perfect shape. There are external factors to consider in most medical cases which document people operating a computer in a non-ergonomic way.

Your definition of a dream mouse is your definition. My mouse looks cool, has many buttons, but is still "Safe to use".

You also have to factor in the peoples living environments. I live with my parents and sister in a 1200 sq-ft rent house in the middle in Kentucky. There is no room to place a computer desk, so I use a crappy table to hold my monitors and a large chair as a place to sit, hold mouse, and hold keyboard.

You have no right to tell us that our setups are dangerous to our health. If we want to do something to effect our body then it is our choice. It is not yours, our parents, or higher (corrupted) powers. If our setups do not directly effect you then don't complain about it. You and your dad could of had a genetic disorder or something passed down from earlier generations. That does not justify the need for me to use a special desk. My uncle is 56, has been working with computers for 25 years, and doesn't use a ergonomic setup at all. He has never had wrist or any health problems other then a genetic case of diabetes. Not every person is alike.

And I eat McDonalds regularly and am under weight. That doesn't mean that McDonalds is healthy for me, and it doesnt mean that, if someone is discussing food, I cant say "Yeah McDonalds is really unhealthy food to choose"

Same thing in this thread. The setups posted all have desks that are too high, and monitors too close to the input devices. WILL these people have health problems? Nobody knows. Is it a RISK? Yes.

Its just risks. Risks that I choose not to take, and I would like to encourage people to be concious of them. I never commanded anyone to do anything. :roll:

What about seatbelts? Does wearing a seatbelt during a crash increase your chance of survival? Usually. If you dont wear your seatbelt, does that mean that some day, you WILL DIE in a car crash? No. But is it still a RISK to not wear your seatbelt? Yes. Is it unhealthy to not wear your seatbelt? Yes. Setting up your computer in a comfortable and natural position is analogous.

Again I see this as a defense mechanism. You read about the things I am saying, and you know how true it is, but you just don't want to admit what a risk you put yourself in because you are stubborn and dont give a rat's [wagon] for safety. Your ignorance towards healthy behaviour is counter to your brain's subconcious instincts of self preservation. I am pointing out peoples unhealthy choices, and because they dont want to find the flaw in themselves, they try to point out the flaw in me.

Unfortunately, I have not given orders to anybody and insisted that I am going to punish them if they don't change their behaviour. My messages have been purely benevolent warnings. But you percieve them as threatening and must interpret them as something different.

I don't see why this issue needs to be pressed. You say that you understand psychology, so you should realize that you're not going to persuade us. The reason the CNN article that you cited says that there are uncertain findings is because there are other studies that have shown the opposite results. I'm arguing about eye strain here, carpal tunnel is slightly different, and I'd rather not get into a medical discussion on a thread regarding computers. Now, you've taken it upon yourself to enlighten us about your ideal computer set-up, but when numerous people have disregarded your statements you still press the matter. It isn't that we don't recognize your opinions as valid, and I'd agree with you in regards to a number of points, its just that this topic was directed at the technical aspects of a computer, NOT the ergonomic aspects of a computer rig. In regards to your talk about how you aren't being rude, because listening to you is in our best interest. That's not an excuse, just because you may be right doesn't make it necessarily nice. If you want to have an in depth discussion on ergonomics, why not make a thread in Off-Topic?

Here's a picture about proper ergonomics if anyone is interested, I hate being this off topic :???:

Your statement is based on absolutely nothing. It is just NOT off the topic. Perhaps YOU should re-visit the original post and read it again.

The OP posted his arrangement of monitors, showing his desk, keyboard, etc. And he didnt even say a damn word about his specs.

The original intent was to show off his arrangement of multiple monitors, and he was curious what other types of arrangement people use. I am talking about my arrangement, whis uses a mousepad with a wrist support, a single monitor aligned in my FOV, a comfortable and supportive chair, and a comfortable keyboard and mouse placed at proper height and distance.

Thats my arrangement, just like the OP's arrangement. If the "topic" was to discuss system specs then it seems the OP himself is off topic. :roll:

Again I feel it is awesome to be called "off topic" when this misnomer isn't based on anything logical. I present a point of view that you feel threatened by, so in order to fend that threat you illogically dismiss my posts as being off the topic. When, in fact, all I am talking about is system arrangement, just like the OP.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

And I eat McDonalds regularly and am under weight. That doesn't mean that McDonalds is healthy for me, and it doesnt mean that, if someone is discussing food, I cant say "Yeah McDonalds is really unhealthy food to choose"

Same thing in this thread. The setups posted all have desks that are too high, and monitors too close to the input devices. WILL these people have health problems? Nobody knows. Is it a RISK? Yes.

Its just risks. Risks that I choose not to take, and I would like to encourage people to be concious of them. I never commanded anyone to do anything. :roll:

What about seatbelts? Does wearing a seatbelt during a crash increase your chance of survival? Usually. If you dont wear your seatbelt, does that mean that some day, you WILL DIE in a car crash? No. But is it still a RISK to not wear your seatbelt? Yes. Is it unhealthy to not wear your seatbelt? Yes. Setting up your computer in a comfortable and natural position is analogous.

Again I see this as a defense mechanism. You read about the things I am saying, and you know how true it is, but you just don't want to admit what a risk you put yourself in because you are stubborn and dont give a rat's [wagon] for safety. Your ignorance towards healthy behaviour is counter to your brain's subconcious instincts of self preservation. I am pointing out peoples unhealthy choices, and because they dont want to find the flaw in themselves, they try to point out the flaw in me.

Unfortunately, I have not given orders to anybody and insisted that I am going to punish them if they don't change their behaviour. My messages have been purely benevolent warnings. But you percieve them as threatening and must interpret them as something different.

Your statement is based on absolutely nothing. It is just NOT off the topic. Perhaps YOU should re-visit the original post and read it again.

The OP posted his arrangement of monitors, showing his desk, keyboard, etc. And he didnt even say a damn word about his specs.

The original intent was to show off his arrangement of multiple monitors, and he was curious what other types of arrangement people use. I am talking about my arrangement, whis uses a mousepad with a wrist support, a single monitor aligned in my FOV, a comfortable and supportive chair, and a comfortable keyboard and mouse placed at proper height and distance.

Thats my arrangement, just like the OP's arrangement. If the "topic" was to discuss system specs then it seems the OP himself is off topic. :roll:

Again I feel it is awesome to be called "off topic" when this misnomer isn't based on anything logical. I present a point of view that you feel threatened by, so in order to fend that threat you illogically dismiss my posts as being off the topic. When, in fact, all I am talking about is system arrangement, just like the OP.

Sometime it's best to keep your opinion to yourself. You are fighting a losing battle here. For the most part the majority here obviously don't care if their computer setup harms them and to what extent it harms them or not. And I don't see it as your business either. The name of this thread is "What computer do you play Runescape on?", not "Is this computer setup healthy for me?"

OT I play on a laptop with a 1366x768 Resolution, able to run RSHD at full settings, 4x AA etc. I am on win7 so I can conveniently drag RS to one half of my screen, and the other half fits a YouTube video PERFECTLY.

Sometime it's best to keep your opinion to yourself. You are fighting a losing battle here. For the most part the majority here obviously don't care if their computer setup harms them and to what extent it harms them or not. And I don't see it as your business either. The name of this thread is "What computer do you play Runescape on?", not "Is this computer setup healthy for me?"

OT I play on a laptop with a 1366x768 Resolution, able to run RSHD at full settings, 4x AA etc. I am on win7 so I can conveniently drag RS to one half of my screen, and the other half fits a YouTube video PERFECTLY.

Why are you insisting that anyone is fighting a battle? Or that its ME who is starting a conflict?

I have posted my thoughts about health risks, and told you guys my setups.

YOU are the one saying "Get outta here! Take your bull crap eslewhere"

I have given you my philosophy on computer setup, and YOU are the one making it about a fight.

I never said people need to change their lives around just because of unhealthy computer time. I just find it strange that in the year 2010 so many people can be ignoring all the knowledge that has been aquired about healthy lifestyles.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you see my posts as argumentative, rude, or confrontational. All I did was compare the two ways of setting up your system, and tell you why I do it. Yet you think I am fighting. This "fight" is a figment of your imagination. My posts are intended for people who want to read them, think of them, and respond with something interesting.

If this was a poll about "OMG whats ur specs?!?!?!" then it should be a questionaire, and not a discussion.

Sometime it's best to keep your opinion to yourself.

Why the hell come on a discussion board then?

You should go look for a board labeled "POST HERE IF YOU AGREE WITH ME!!!"

Then, post after post, you can just say "Yeah!" or "Sweet!!!"

That sounds so interesting.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Why are you insisting that anyone is fighting a battle? Or that its ME who is starting a conflict?

I have posted my thoughts about health risks, and told you guys my setups.

YOU are the one saying "Get outta here! Take your bull crap eslewhere"

I have given you my philosophy on computer setup, and YOU are the one making it about a fight.

I never said people need to change their lives around just because of unhealthy computer time. I just find it strange that in the year 2010 so many people can be ignoring all the knowledge that has been aquired about healthy lifestyles.

Maybe you should ask yourself why you see my posts as argumentative, rude, or confrontational. All I did was compare the two ways of setting up your system, and tell you why I do it. Yet you think I am fighting. This "fight" is a figment of your imagination. My posts are intended for people who want to read them, think of them, and respond with something interesting.

If this was a poll about "OMG whats ur specs?!?!?!" then it should be a questionaire, and not a discussion.

Sometime it's best to keep your opinion to yourself.

Why the hell come on a discussion board then?

You should go look for a board labeled "POST HERE IF YOU AGREE WITH ME!!!"

Then, post after post, you can just say "Yeah!" or "Sweet!!!"

That sounds so interesting.

I guess I say keep it to yourself because not all opinions promote healthy discussion and it seems you can't get your point across without being condescending of others, be it directly or indirectly, which is going to do nothing but breed ill will towards one another.

People can do whatever they like, it's their own life choice, you made your point very clear in the first post you made about it, I see no reason to drag it outfurther. I am sure most users would agree with me.

And if I may enter troll mode very quickly...

This is not serious business. Stop taking it as such. Let people do their own [cabbage], and if their health suffers for it, it's their fault. I don't need a second mother minding everything I do and insinuiating that I or others are ignorant because there are "healthier" alternatives to gaming on a computer.

I guess I say keep it to yourself because not all opinions promote healthy discussion and it seems you can't get your point across without being condescending of others, be it directly or indirectly, which is going to do nothing but breed ill will towards one another.

Condescending? Wait, if my opinions are unimportant to you, how does it seem condescending? I am telling you what I think, you are telling me what you think, but yet I am the condescending one? If you think your opinion is better than mine, then I dont think I would sound condescending. Maybe I sound condescending because you know your health is more important, but are reluctant to make the change. I have never said that every person needs to be the same and put his health at utmost importance, and I dont think that my view is the only view that people should have. But, after all, it is MY opinion, so don't I have to think it is a good opinion? If I didnt think my opinion was good, why would I even have that opinion?

People can do whatever they like, it's their own life choice, you made your point very clear in the first post you made about it, I see no reason to drag it outfurther. I am sure most users would agree with me.

This is not serious business. Stop taking it as such. Let people do their own [cabbage], and if their health suffers for it, it's their fault. I don't need a second mother minding everything I do and insinuiating that I or others are ignorant because there are "healthier" alternatives to gaming on a computer.

I'm sorry but I just flat out disagree with your last statement. I like to serve people, help people, and save people. Its why I am in graduate school for education.

I care about everybody, and I like to help people. I believe that everybody matters, and everyone deserves the right to be aware of unhealthy habits.

I don't see it as their fault. If somebody is going to crush himself on the bench press, I dont say "Its his fault, he shouldnt be lifting that much." It would be my fault. It was my responsibility to help him. I help. I save. I'm sorry if you don't like to be helped. Fortunately, everyone can read my posts, and then have their own free will and decide if they want to agree or disagree.

Myweponsgood.gif

Condescending? Wait, if my opinions are unimportant to you, how does it seem condescending? I am telling you what I think, you are telling me what you think, but yet I am the condescending one? If you think your opinion is better than mine, then I dont think I would sound condescending. Maybe I sound condescending because you know your health is more important, but are reluctant to make the change. I have never said that every person needs to be the same and put his health at utmost importance, and I dont think that my view is the only view that people should have. But, after all, it is MY opinion, so don't I have to think it is a good opinion? If I didnt think my opinion was good, why would I even have that opinion?

I'm sorry but I just flat out disagree with your last statement. I like to serve people, help people, and save people. Its why I am in graduate school for education.

I care about everybody, and I like to help people. I believe that everybody matters, and everyone deserves the right to be aware of unhealthy habits.

I don't see it as their fault. If somebody is going to crush himself on the bench press, I dont say "Its his fault, he shouldnt be lifting that much." It would be my fault. It was my responsibility to help him. I help. I save. I'm sorry if you don't like to be helped. Fortunately, everyone can read my posts, and then have their own free will and decide if they want to agree or disagree.

You sound like one of the damned Jehovah's witness who come to my door every year and tell me about all the things I could be doing right, they care about me too, but I don't convert to their religion. The reason you are off-topic is you are attempting to facilitate a discussion that is different from what the OP had originally intended. Your intentions do not matter, this is not the intended place for a discussion on ergonomics. I highly doubt that you're in graduate school, and if you are I doubt the school is accredited. My set-up is quite ergonomic, and I'm not acting out of a psychological defense( this is high school psychology here, which is why I doubt that you are in grad school). What I am acting out of is anger. I get angry when people who have absolutely zero knowledge on a topic pretend to be quite well-versed in it. Furthermore, if you are in grad school then I trust you're smart enough to realize that your post would be quite controversial. Your original post was far from congenial, and it seemed quite condescending. Since the college you graduated from seems to have failed to educate you in basic vocabulary, I'll enlighten you on how you were being condescending. Since your first post you have told us what we are doing wrong, and how we are basically hurting our health, you did not point this out in a nice way AT ALL. More than one person added that they wanted to live their live the way they wanted, your response was this "I, however, enjoy my health and put full effort into respecting my body and cherishing my time on this world." That's being condescending mate, you're speaking in a patronizing manner assuming a form of superiority. You actually go on to call those with high-end set-ups "sad". What do you call that if not condescending?

Now, let's address a number of topics which you seemed to have deflected from. Your first argument bordered on being medical, but as I pointed out earler, you lack a basis of medical knowledge. Your argument is what you feel you've gleaned from hearsay and CNN. You've since dropped this argument. Now you seem generally intent on just arguing for the point of arguing. Any constructive point is made in such a harsh tone that nobody will listen to you. You'll get a lot farther if you just spoke in a nicer tone. I don't know if you intended this to be a nice rational argument on ergonomics, but this has turned purely in a flame-war, which is why I recommended that you start your own thread, instead of disrupting what truly was a good post.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

In most of the pictures presented, I do not even see a wrist-supporting mousepad. To me, this is a travesty.

I bought myself a wrist supporting mouse pad a while ago, but didn't use it since it was very uncomfortable. Wrist supporting keyboards don't feel right to me either. Most comfortable I've felt with is low-profile keyboard with the combination of roomy desk. Noise is also something that I find to be rather distractive and annoying - I have spent a fair amount of money to make my PC so quiet that I cannot hear it during day time.

I feel obliged to have something to do while doing afkable tasks in RuneScape - what's the point of just watching how your inventory fills up with fish or logs? Other times when I do something in RS that requires a lot of clicking, but is routine so that I don't have to focus my mind on it, I listen to audio books.

My desk is a mess.

31032010238.jpg

:thumbup: if you can name the game (yes, it's a game!) on the screen ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you like Coke.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

My desk is a mess.

31032010238.jpg

:thumbup: if you can name the game (yes, it's a game!) on the screen ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you like Coke.

How did you know?! :P

It's a psychic gift I was born with :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

[quote name='Maulmachine' date='31 March 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1270085230' post='4190338']

You sound like one of the damned Jehovah's witness who come to my door every year and tell me about all the things I could be doing right, they care about me too, but I don't convert to their religion. The reason you are off-topic is you are attempting to facilitate a discussion that is different from what the OP had originally intended. Your intentions do not matter, this is not the intended place for a discussion on ergonomics. I highly doubt that you're in graduate school, and if you are I doubt the school is accredited. My set-up is quite ergonomic, and I'm not acting out of a psychological defense( this is high school psychology here, which is why I doubt that you are in grad school). What I am acting out of is anger. I get angry when people who have absolutely zero knowledge on a topic pretend to be quite well-versed in it. Furthermore, if you are in grad school then I trust you're smart enough to realize that your post would be quite controversial. Your original post was far from congenial, and it seemed quite condescending. Since the college you graduated from seems to have failed to educate you in basic vocabulary, I'll enlighten you on how you were being condescending. Since your first post you have told us what we are doing wrong, and how we are basically hurting our health, you did not point this out in a nice way AT ALL. More than one person added that they wanted to live their live the way they wanted, your response was this "I, however, enjoy my health and put full effort into respecting my body and cherishing my time on this world." That's being condescending mate, you're speaking in a patronizing manner assuming a form of superiority. You actually go on to call those with high-end set-ups "sad". What do you call that if not condescending?

Now, let's address a number of topics which you seemed to have deflected from. Your first argument bordered on being medical, but as I pointed out earler, you lack a basis of medical knowledge. Your argument is what you feel you've gleaned from hearsay and CNN. You've since dropped this argument. Now you seem generally intent on just arguing for the point of arguing. Any constructive point is made in such a harsh tone that nobody will listen to you. You'll get a lot farther if you just spoke in a nicer tone. I don't know if you intended this to be a nice rational argument on ergonomics, but this has turned purely in a flame-war, which is why I recommended that you start your own thread, instead of disrupting what truly was a good post.

First of all, I have not dropped any "arguments". I say "arguments" in quotes, because I am not trying to argue with anyone (except for you. you are the only person who still doesnt understand that this thread is a place for discussion, and we just are discussing the two sides of the position. you are the only one who is now, for some reason, trying to undermine my right to even post in this thread). Secondly, if you want to talk about deflecting, lets talk about the questions I have asked in my posts, none of which you have answered:

1. The OP is talking about computer setups. He says nothing about his specifications of his system. He shows a picture of how he sets up his multiple monitors. I make a post about how I set up my system. HOW is this off topic?

2. By your definition of condescending, you are criticizing me for thinking my way is the best. Why would I do something if I didnt think it was the best?

If you cant give me a post that clearly answers my specific questions, dont bother making a follow up post, because honestly a lot of your responses have just been purely illogical arguments and bashing. I make logical stances, supported by my reasoning, and you just illogically bash me in return, trying to insult me, my univeristy (University of Pittsburgh, undergraduate degree in Physics, attending the same school for a one year graduate program for a Master of Arts in Teaching), and making useless conjectures to flat out deny my claims based on no evidence. I have tried to make counter-arguments to you with logic, and you retaliate with name calling.

Assuming that you can answer my questions above, I'll throw you a bone and answer you:

"I, however, enjoy my health and put full effort into respecting my body and cherishing my time on this world." That's being condescending mate, you're speaking in a patronizing manner assuming a form of superiority.

This is not condescending. This is me stating my philosophy, and asserting what is important to me. This doesnt mean people cant live their live not giving a care about their health.

What did I say that is inaccurate?

Are you saying that people who take unnecessary health risks still "put full effort into respecting their body"? If somebody doesn't live as healthily as possible, are they trying their best to increase their time on this world? I didnt say its what you need to do. I said its what I do. As in, "Not everybody does this"

Also you compare me to a Jahovah's witness. I accept this comparison. If I come to your door and try to talk to you (i.e. post in this thread) then you either respond to me, or you shut the door and dont say anything. You dont go up to a Jahovahs witness at your door and start telling him he has absolutely no right in the world to be going around telling people what he thinks.

EDIT:

Also, to return to the arguments I have "dropped", I cant possible construct an argument to show you why I think ergonomics are important. As evidence to support my claims, I posted a link to CNN, and also invited you to use the wonderful world of Google to find thousands of other sources that talk about ergonomics. You simply discredit the research that has been done.

You cant argue with someone when they take your evidence and just say "Nope. I dont think so." Its impossible to build an argument that way. If I were to argue with you the same way that you are arguing with me, I would say "NOPE. Sorry. Not condescending.

EDIT 2:

I posted this yesterday, and I was sitting around today thinking about this thread. I really don't want to argue with you or anyone else about such ridiculous crap anymore. The intentions of my remarks were merely to inform people of my point of view on this subject, and also to maybe help someone who didn't know that they could be putting themselves at risk. One posted even asked what he could do to alleviate wrist pain (though maybe it was just a troll..?)

But anyway, if you still think I am being mean or condescending, I'd just like to offer an apology. I dont see why I hurt anyones feelings, but all that matters is that it happened and it isnt what I wanted.

Myweponsgood.gif

Oh for christ sake.

Your reaction in this thread seems a bit fanatic to be honest.

I have been playing video and computer games since i was maybe 8 (14 years ago) and i only recently got glasses, but with very low "strength". Not 'cause it's needed in my every-day life but i need it for driving. But eye sight is also very much to do with genetics, since for example, my entire family and relatives all got glasses.

And i seriously can't understand how you think a normal simple 5 euro mouse feels good. The mice that some of the people in this thread have posted are ergonomical, just because they have several buttons and more sort of gamer-mice doesn't mean they are bad. If a mouse doesn't lay right in your hand, how is it ergonomical? The cheap mice out there makes your hand getting into a weird position, especially if you got a bit bigger hand.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Oh for christ sake.

Your reaction in this thread seems a bit fanatic to be honest.

I have been playing video and computer games since i was maybe 8 (14 years ago) and i only recently got glasses, but with very low "strength". Not 'cause it's needed in my every-day life but i need it for driving. But eye sight is also very much to do with genetics, since for example, my entire family and relatives all got glasses.

And i seriously can't understand how you think a normal simple 5 euro mouse feels good. The mice that some of the people in this thread have posted are ergonomical, just because they have several buttons and more sort of gamer-mice doesn't mean they are bad. If a mouse doesn't lay right in your hand, how is it ergonomical? The cheap mice out there makes your hand getting into a weird position, especially if you got a bit bigger hand.

I'm not sure where I said to get a 5 euro mouse.

Maybe you are referring to where I told people to get a mouse PAD.

Also thank you yet again for restating the obvious that the word "risk" has a meaning to it that means it isn't going to happen to everyone at sometime in their life.

Myweponsgood.gif

^ Great job with changing the discussion from showing our computer setups to the travesties of using a mouse that isn't ergonomic. :wall:

I might post a pic of my setup later, but it isn't anything too snazzy.

^ Great job with changing the discussion from showing our computer setups to the travesties of using a mouse that isn't ergonomic. :wall:

I might post a pic of my setup later, but it isn't anything too snazzy.

So the OP wants to know how our computers are set up. His is set up for multi-tasking.

Mine is set up for comfort and health. How is this off topic? If anything, all of you guys are being more off topic by trying to scrutinize me for being off topic. I dont remember the OP saying "In this thread, discuss whether or not people are staying on topic!"

Myweponsgood.gif

Well...

22 inch widescreen. don't even know what monitor...

SPEAKERS :o. Most important for teh moosic...

Coffee.. you always need coffee...

A mouse. without a scroll wheel might i add- I threw it at the wall and it broke.

Advent silver keyboard. Meh :)

My webcam, for teh erm ;)

My crap 2.19 ghz / 2gb ram / 160gb memory / something or other graphics carded PC

My phone

There's my setup.

Oh yeh, my bar of aero ;)