What computer do you play runescape on?

nightshade53

To multiple screen users...

ONE LCD is enough for most tasks, especially playing a game as simple as RS. Unless you maintain multiple server environments or do intense graphics/video creation, there's absolutely no need for a dual monitor. Spend the money on SLI or Crossfire. :wink:

It's not about using multiple screens to do one task, it's about multitasking, as Hobgoblinpie said. I love watching a movie while doing just about anything: playing a game, web browsing, just talking to friends, etc. Or if you're playing a game full screen, it's nice to have another monitor to use a messenger or web browse without having to tab out of your game.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shutupanddiemac.png

I Just made that in 10 minutes with win 7 mspaint

[/macvspc]

30inch monitor ftw

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

ONE LCD is enough for most tasks, especially playing a game as simple as RS. Unless you maintain multiple server environments or do intense graphics/video creation, there's absolutely no need for a dual monitor. Spend the money on SLI or Crossfire. :wink:

Proper Multitasking, like watching a movie & working at the same time, or watching a movie and playing RS (I only have a 17 inch monitor and a 19 inch TV that doubles up as a monitor, so I don't have enough real estate to just use parts of the screen for each thing).

I do a lot of web design and coding and it is very helpful to see the code and application or code and website on separate screens. Even bill gates uses multiple monitors [source]. As tripsis said, its useful to have multiple monitors to multitask tasks.

I agree with the above posters. Multitasking is the reason for dual-monitor existence. Unless you have 3 equally sized monitors, the bezels get in the way too much when using one game across two monitors.

Crossfire\SLI is a surprisingly bad option. It scales less then perfectly, and can cause headaches with a lot of games. With a few exceptions, your better off going for a better single card at the same price of 2 cheaper SLI\Crossfire units. The only time it's truely handy is when upgrading or running *ahem* with the absolute top graphics. I've owned both SLI GTX 295s (Water cooled, overclocked to the ragged, bleeding edge) and Crossfire 5870s (Still working on 5970s...), and take it from me - SLI\Crossfire is a pain to setup in games that don't natively support it (and generally, onlly mainstream ones do). Plus, the microstutter issues in the 4xxx and (partially) 5xxx can force you to remove a card, and ATI still has quite a few driver issues to work out.

But if you've got the money and want to run Crysis 2 on high without it looking like a powerpoint visual effects presentation, crossfire\SLI is the way to go.

Also, nice system for the money. The 4890 can't really handle the latest and greatest any more, but it does pretty close - tweak a few settings and you'll be hitting 40-50+ FPS.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

A 2008 HP laptop with a HORRIBLE graphics card. It's a great, (mostly) reliable computer, but the graphics card is so bad that Runescape is choppy on safe mode with everything turned all the way down and NO background programs running.

I wish there was someway to fix that.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I have a nice Dell laptop that does the trick. The graphics card isn't up to much though so HD is terribly slow. But even if I could run it I would still play in Safe Mode. HD looks like textures have just been crapped everywhere at random.

asrhasrh.jpg

Now for my setup.

I use normal 22" as main screen and then about 100 degrees to the left and like 1 meter away, I got my 32" tv.

I use normal monitor for rs and browsing and my tv for videos.

I use my old modified radio as my sound system.

Wonderful setup :P

Multi tasking is really that important to you guys?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/08/25/multitasking.harmful/index.html

This thread is just overflowing with unawareness of the physical health effects of using an improper user-input setup, and apparently you are also unaware of the mental damage you cause yourself too.

Hopefully many posters in this thread are just young people who are going to mature in a few years and change these unhealthy habits.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

After playing for 10 hours or so, I can hardly move my wrist. I know it's bad but.. what should I do?

Put some ice on it (Yes I know ice is for swelling/bruising, but it can alleviate some problems) and rest it. I'd leave it alone for around a day (at least for repetitive movements anyway).

If you're not being serious, shame on you. :unsure:

After playing for 10 hours or so, I can hardly move my wrist. I know it's bad but.. what should I do?

uhm don't play for so long? Simple answer, and as long as your RSI isn't working up while "doing nothing" the simple remedy is to not game as much.. As soon as your body starts complaining about the bad habbits: stop them!

Really playing for more than 1:30 hours is unhealthy, and I strongly advise anyone to take a break of 5-10 mins after playing for so long!

But don't forget to put your computer off while taking such a break (go outside)!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

This thread is just overflowing with unawareness of the physical health effects of using an improper user-input setup, and apparently you are also unaware of the mental damage you cause yourself too.

Hopefully many posters in this thread are just young people who are going to mature in a few years and change these unhealthy habits.

I've read through that article, and it seems that it focuses on the problem of retaining irrelevant information in your short term memory, and how processing data becomes harder (for instance, it mentions exams/tests). Comparing my exam results this year (though they are only mocks so far) to last year, when I only had one monitor, my grades have gone up over all subjects. While I'm not saying that multitasking has helped me, I am merely suggesting that it has had little to no impact.

You want to get a mousepad that has a wrist "support." I use the quotation marks because it doesn't REALLY support your wrist, per say. It just encourages your wrist to stay straight. (Similar to the way a weight training belt doesnt really DO much actively, but having it on your midsection encourages proper form)

Also, you need to place the mouse at the proper height. To find the height: sit up straight, let your arms dangle straight down towards the floor. Then, take your mouse hand and bend at the elbow to make a 90 degree bend in your elbow. This is about the proper height of your mouse. It should be a tiny bit higher than this.

Also, every 90-120 minutes, make sure to take 5 minutes and do some hand+wrist stretches. Nothing major. Just limber it up.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

You want to get a mousepad that has a wrist "support." I use the quotation marks because it doesn't REALLY support your wrist, per say. It just encourages your wrist to stay straight. (Similar to the way a weight training belt doesnt really DO much actively, but having it on your midsection encourages proper form)

Also, you need to place the mouse at the proper height. To find the height: sit up straight, let your arms dangle straight down towards the floor. Then, take your mouse hand and bend at the elbow to make a 90 degree bend in your elbow. This is about the proper height of your mouse. It should be a tiny bit higher than this.

Also, every 90-120 minutes, make sure to take 5 minutes and do some hand+wrist stretches. Nothing major. Just limber it up.

Keywords: "May suggest". my typing may cause a stroke, please proceed with caution and advert your eyes.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

I've read through that article, and it seems that it focuses on the problem of retaining irrelevant information in your short term memory, and how processing data becomes harder (for instance, it mentions exams/tests). Comparing my exam results this year (though they are only mocks so far) to last year, when I only had one monitor, my grades have gone up over all subjects. While I'm not saying that multitasking has helped me, I am merely suggesting that it has had little to no impact.

This is no proof. All you can do is look at your results, compare to the studies theyve done, and I would say your exam grades may have been even higher if you weren't multi tasking.

Also there could be a correlation between actually having two monitors, and multi-tasking on only one monitor. Were you multi tasking before you had two monitors? If you were, I could see how simply having two screens instead of rapidly actively switching windows could improve your attention. This still doesn't give any information that would conflict with the studies.

Also, your personal academic improvement can still outweigh negative effects. For example, if you eat nothing but Mcdonalds, you can still lose weight if you are smart about calorie counting, meal timing, and protein intake. Does this make Mcdonalds "healthy food"? No. Same thing goes for your multi tasking. Just because you saw an improvement doesnt mean the single variable you are looking at was the cause of the improvement, or that it isnt hurting you. You would need to compare it to a period of time where you eliminate multi tasking from your life.

Myweponsgood.gif

This is no proof. All you can do is look at your results, compare to the studies theyve done, and I would say your exam grades may have been even higher if you weren't multi tasking.

Also there could be a correlation between actually having two monitors, and multi-tasking on only one monitor. Were you multi tasking before you had two monitors? If you were, I could see how simply having two screens instead of rapidly actively switching windows could improve your attention. This still doesn't give any information that would conflict with the studies.

Also, your personal academic improvement can still outweigh negative effects. For example, if you eat nothing but Mcdonalds, you can still lose weight if you are smart about calorie counting, meal timing, and protein intake. Does this make Mcdonalds "healthy food"? No. Same thing goes for your multi tasking. Just because you saw an improvement doesnt mean the single variable you are looking at was the cause of the improvement, or that it isnt hurting you. You would need to compare it to a period of time where you eliminate multi tasking from your life.

Listen, I don't know know how you think this is relative at all... Some of us have two monitors, I'm not really sure how this hurts YOU, but you decide to post and basically tell those of ys with two monitors that we are ruining our lives. Listen mate, its ok to think that, but saying that is fairly rude, and I really don't think it's a very nice thing to say. You cite a news article as your "proof", but you fail to understand that the study of neuroscience and the effect of computers on health are developing fields. It's very possible staring at a monitor is bad for you, but the degree to which it effects you has not been conclusively proven. Your points are sheer conjecture based on an insufficient understanding of a news article the news article even mentions that the results are inconclusive) and they really aren't needed in a discussion about computers.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Just copying this from the T&C thread ( http://forum.tip.it/topic/249775-technology-related-pictures/ )

[spoiler=Inside computer]2mq70pw.jpg

[spoiler=Desk]3g4yc.jpg

Antec Sonata 3 500

ATI 4670 512mb, slightly oc'ed

Intel [email protected]

Corsair VX 550 (good warranty period+future proofing)

Foxconn crap mobo

Akasa 965 cpu cooler

Hitaci 250gb 7200rpm 8mb cache

2 fans, one Antec and one Fractal design, both 120mm

Dealtaco keyboard (i spill coffee randomly so i never buy any expensive keyboards)

Saitek gm3200 mouse

Logitech X530 speakers

Dell (17") and Packard Bell (19") screens

3gb DDR2 ram

Also, i never play RS on fullscreen. I like to be able to multi-task, often surfing on the other screen while playing RS on the widescreen.

The picture with a bathroom pipe was pretty funny too.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Just copying this from the T&C thread ( http://forum.tip.it/topic/249775-technology-related-pictures/ )

[spoiler=Inside computer]2mq70pw.jpg

[spoiler=Desk]3g4yc.jpg

Antec Sonata 3 500

ATI 4670 512mb, slightly oc'ed

Intel [email protected]

Corsair VX 550 (good warranty period+future proofing)

Foxconn crap mobo

Akasa 965 cpu cooler

Hitaci 250gb 7200rpm 8mb cache

2 fans, one Antec and one Fractal design, both 120mm

Dealtaco keyboard (i spill coffee randomly so i never buy any expensive keyboards)

Saitek gm3200 mouse

Logitech X530 speakers

Dell (17") and Packard Bell (19") screens

3gb DDR2 ram

Also, i never play RS on fullscreen. I like to be able to multi-task, often surfing on the other screen while playing RS on the widescreen.

The picture with a bathroom pipe was pretty funny too.

Nice bottle of Jägermeister under the monitor on the right. :thumbup:

I didn't say it was proof of anything, in case you missed it.

Before using a second monitor, I would just 'seperate' my screen into parts, like the left side for Word/RS, then the right side for a movie. I did not explicitly say that having two monitors improved my results. It was simply an observation that I had noted. To get a full understanding of the effects, I would need to have a study on me for a significant amount of time where the only variables were the amount of monitors. Obviously, I would not be willing to be part of that study.

Anyway, as Maulmachine has said, this is irrelevant to this topic.

I didn't say it was proof of anything, in case you missed it.

Before using a second monitor, I would just 'seperate' my screen into parts, like the left side for Word/RS, then the right side for a movie. I did not explicitly say that having two monitors improved my results. It was simply an observation that I had noted. To get a full understanding of the effects, I would need to have a study on me for a significant amount of time where the only variables were the amount of monitors. Obviously, I would not be willing to be part of that study.

Anyway, as Maulmachine has said, this is irrelevant to this topic.

I disagree. It is completely relevant, as what makes an "awesome" setup, to me, is not 5 different LCD monitors, blazing fast PCs, and sweet-looking MAC mouses with no mousepads. A sweet setup in my world is a computer that will let me use it in a way that does not discomfort my body, allowing me to focus on the work I am doing or the game I am playing without needing to worry about my health.

You guys look at a "dream mouse" and it would probably have tons of buttons and lights and other crazy features. My "dream mouse" is one that functions nicely, and feels like my hand is in a natural, comfortable position.

It is clear that we value different things, and I dont think everybody needs to align themselves with my point of view, but it does worry me how extreme your desires for high-end setups are. In most of the pictures presented, I do not even see a wrist-supporting mousepad. To me, this is a travesty. I am not asking you guys to buy whole new keyboards and mouses that are the most health-friendly things on the market. But not even showing enough awareness to do yourself a favor and use a 10-20 dollar mousepad, well, its just concerning.

Also people are saying I am being rude. Thats funny, because all I am talking about is concern for YOUR health. I am spreading awareness so that you can live longer, happier, more comfortable lives and you return the favor by deeming it as rudeness.

Thats okay, though. Why? Because I have studied enough psychology to know that all of your responses have just come from your primitive, illogical defense mechanisms. I have shown you a news article about the dangers of multi tasking. A simple Google search of "carpal tunnel" will tell you that buying more ergonomic products help to prevent this stupidly preventable ailment. Why do you think ergonomic products develop? Why do you think safety manuals and labels come with our electronics? The problem is real, and your setups are doing nothing to sustain your health.

The ammount of delusional denial in this thread is just insane. Sorry folks, but uncomfortable and unnatural computer setups poses real health issues. I used to have wrist pain when I was younger, then I started using better setups and it went away. My dad works in an office and developed carpal tunnel. He needed surgery. Did he have a moue pad? No. Was his computer situated in a strange place on his desk? Yes. Thousands of people develop health problems from computer use. It isn't made up, sorry. No matter how much your mind wishes that it WAS made up.

EDIT:

I would also like to add that people seem to have terrible misunderstandings of scientific research. You guys read articles and find something like "The correlation is not completely certain." and then you discredit the article as being untrue. This is how the scientific community works. Its like the creations who say "Darwin's THEORY of evolution? Well, creation is a THEORY too, then!" But, they just have a complete misunderstanding of the scientific community's definition of "theroy".

The same is for the CNN article I cited. They have to say these things, because it is extremely hard, in any field of science, to make conclusive, precise, and absolutely confident claims. In studies of human behaviour, it is even harder to make these claims because of how much we don't yet know about the brain. Them telling you that a correlation is uncertain doesn't mean that there isnt a good probability of them being correct. To make concrete claims on scientific research takes decades upon decades of testing, confirming, and retesting. This doesn't mean we can ignore preliminary findings.

Myweponsgood.gif