The Style Thread

Scorcheddd

Not too sure about beeswax though. Only because I have never seen anyone pull it off successfully in an outfit. May work if you lean towards a preppy style (as a cardigan or jumper).

Ugh. Yellow on guys almost never works.

lampost_sig_stark.png

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yellow works fine, you just need to have it in small amounts and with navy to break it up (especially beeswax, because it has a bit of orange in it). Works great on dark-skinned people also.

As for having top colors for a season, that's just silly trend.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Cordial Churchman released their seersucker bow ties recently. If any of y'all are interested in bow ties, take a look at Ellie's. All handmade in Carolina - my first two proper bows come from her, and I love them dearly. She uses great materials, yet somehow manages to keep prices really low. She also makes neckties and a host of other things, but the bows are the main event. Note: they don't offer very formal bow ties. It's all very southern, cool, casual. Don't even think they offer much in silk.

Sounds like an ad, but, meh. She seems to be a nice lady that has a helluva business. I'm excited to pick up a seersucker or two. My second bow tie from her is wool and very wintery. So, naturally, I need something for spring and summer (besides my pink chambray/gingham)!

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Those seem rather good (and seriously cheap) and the shipping to NZ included still puts them at a price point lower than most ties here. What's the quality like?

Higher quality than the ones I see at our high-end department store (which is really just full of overpriced frat-boy type brands, to be honest). Nice and thick, but not too thick to get a good knot - you can tell that they're homemade with such care. No clue how she gets so many fantastic fabrics. I have a brown knit wool tie from her that I love dearly as well. If you have any special requests, she'll probably fulfill them.

Her wool ties look sweet, but I'm not a fan of pastel ties in general (or summer clothes, really).

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Those seem rather good (and seriously cheap) and the shipping to NZ included still puts them at a price point lower than most ties here. What's the quality like?

Higher quality than the ones I see at our high-end department store (which is really just full of overpriced frat-boy type brands, to be honest). Nice and thick, but not too thick to get a good knot - you can tell that they're homemade with such care. No clue how she gets so many fantastic fabrics. I have a brown knit wool tie from her that I love dearly as well. If you have any special requests, she'll probably fulfill them.

Black, with white polka dots? I'm trying to get a bow tie like that to fill the formal edge of my neckwear. Formal enough, yet still playful and interesting.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Hate to be a bumper. Bought my new clothes:

2 overshirts, green plaid and purple plaid patterns. Will don over clothes, layering them up, and stuff. Over a lightweight sweater probably.

1 pair of straight slim dark wash jeans, nice and neutral.

1 pair of grey chinos, the tan ones were a bit iffy in my opinion. Grey is more versatile, I thought, and the best thing is that they are heavy enough for autumn/winter.

1 pair desert boots. These were expensive but well worth it. Waterproofing them now. Chocolate brown colour, slight heel. The look so [bleep]ing classy, haha.

1 pair of cotton/canvas slipons, $5. Cheap and fun.

Got a lightweight grey merino off ASOS, should come through next week sometime. Going to trawl opshops this friday, just on the lookout for whatever. Jumpers, cardigans, ties, bowties.

lampost_sig_stark.png

Where'd you get your DBs?

Not a fan of the rubber sole and the contrast laces, but still a solid purchase!

I'm having a big graduation party for my family (~40 people), and I want to look nice for it. I don't want to go as far as a suit and tie or anything, just a casual outfit I could wear to a party and look good. Any suggestions?

I'm 6'2 and 145lbs

2s0cxth.png

I never liked straight cut jeans. I prefer slimcut.

I've know learnt about jeans and cuts. Straight-cuts are by far my favourite. Go me.

To the above: dark, straight cut jeans, tucked in white oxford. As for shoes, ask Omar.

lampost_sig_stark.png

I'm trying to look kind of preppy, but I need to use jeans. So far I've gone for a medium blue straight cut pair of jeans (which sit nicely on top of my 'fashion trainers'. Like this, but in canvas and navy blue: http://www.mandmdirect.com/products-Fred-Perry-Mens-Oakfield-Pumps-Dark-Chocolate_FP1039.htm)

I don't want to get a pair of chinos or trousers, as they would look quite out of place at my university. Really, I'm just trying to look more presentable.

My top half consists of cardigans (light grey for pin stripe tops, Dark Grey for T-shirts, Navy for linen shirts and sky blue for oxfords & light t-shirts) and lighter tops, generally white. The choice of shirt/undershirt depends on the weather and whether it's a casual or formal event I'm going to. If it's going to be hot, I'll take a t-shirt, if it's medium or cold, I'll use a shirt.

Accessories are just a white leather bracelet on my left arm and a brushed brown and silver brand detailed ring on my right ring finger.

Any suggestions on how to improve it? Like, what type of jeans would go best. I'm not aiming to look very preppy, more presentable in any case.

I'll try and get a photo of the outfit at some point (yes, it will be a mirror shot, and I apologise for this).

Why are jeans necessary? If you get good-fitting chinos, nobody will think any different. And if they do, go buy a bright red pair of chinos as a personal "screw you" to them.

I love how everyone putting on colored chinos calls them "go to hell" chinos as if they're taking a piss on Mount Rushmore or something...

Anyway.

a) You want your jeans to be slim.

b) You want your jeans to have little to no break. If they do, roll them. Ankle/socks should show

c) You want one pair of washed jeans. I'm not talking jeans with obvious whiskers and wear marks, just a pretty uniform fade.

d) You want a pair of chinos or khakis. A pair in this color would be nice, as Lent said, but khaki comes first in my mind.

Here's some inspiration:

http://thetrad.blogspot.com/2008/12/take-ivy-chapter-i.html

@Blake: What shirt fabrics/patterns do you already have, what jeans, belt, shoes?

Go to hell? I've never heard that. Fun as hell.

EDIT: Wait, yeah, I saw that once. But people don't wear chinos around here much. I never heard the term until a few months ago on ze internet.

Go to hell? I've never heard that. Fun as hell.

EDIT: Wait, yeah, I saw that once. But people don't wear chinos around here much. I never heard the term until a few months ago on ze internet.

Go to hell, screw you, same things, different words.

The cut or the fabric?