The Style Thread

Scorcheddd

In his stark white' date=' three-piece suit, Mark Twain would have fit nicely with the spring and summer looks featured in this magazine. Too bad his views on style were fundamentally wrong. "Clothes make the man." Twain claimed, when in fact it's quite the other way around: the man makes the clothes. That is to say, we imbue meaning into what we wear. And if we don't - if we purchase shoes and socks, shirts and suits, jeans and jackets simply because we see them in a magazine or worn by someone else - the fundamental individualism of style is lost.

Clothing is all about personality, but clothes don't carry inherent character, as Twain suggested - this can only be instilled by the wearer. Style doesn't just mean looking good, it requires that you feel good, too - and no item on its own can do that. It's up to you: everything you own, clothing or otherwise, should say something significant about who you are. This requires serious reflection on your part, but the results are well worth the effort.

The opportunity to develop one's own sense of style is a relatively new phenomenon. Up until the last 50 years or so, people didn't get to choose what they wore - outfits were largely dictated by geography, ethnicity, race, wealth and education. How you dressed was as much a statement about your essence as it is today, except that fashion was essentially policed by social hierarchies - you couldn't dress like an aristocrat unless you actually [i']were[/i] an aristocrat.

Fortunately, this is no longer true in westernized countries. We have been liberated from fashion dictates - we are free to dress however we want. It may not seem like it but this is a major step in the development of mankind, so don't take the right to personal style lightly: fashion self-determination represents the rise of the individual, the notion that, with effort and determination, you can achieve whatever you want. It epitomizes modernity.

Style and taste cannot, must not, be dictated. It is up to you to determine what your style says about who you are. Choose wisely.

I found this to be a good read and decided to share.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because that's not who they are. Social class determines personality. Source, Realize?

[Edit] Sorry about that, obfuscator. I tend to think these accounts post a ton and it's only a matter of time before a mod comes across and deletes all their posts.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Nah it's usually just one post and unless someone reports it we often don't catch it.

For example, the "tattoos" thread in OT was started by a spambot, but we didn't see it for a couple hours during which time users had turned it into a legit thread, so we left it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

It's from Sharp's spring / summer edition of 'The Book For Men' and that was written by the editor, Toni Goldstein.

Oh, it's not online? Well thanks for typing it up.

@obfuscator: I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

I want this... Just to have it. Hopefully I'll be able to afford it in the not-so-distant future.

Priced at 6,995$.

1B4Xc.jpg

The centennial edition of Browning's classic custom 1911.

Also, how many of you wear cologne?

If I'm going out, I currently use Burberry Brit during the day and Obsession Night by CK at night.

I want a bigger diversity of scents for different occasions though, so I've been shopping around to see what seems (smells) right.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

You should try designer deodorant. It's more expensive than your average drug store Axe, but less so than cologne, and it'll allow you to sample better. They use the same scents.

http://www.unrefinery.com/article/why-$16-deodorant-isnt-as-stupid-as-it-sounds

I want this... Just to have it. Hopefully I'll be able to afford it in the not-so-distant future.

Priced at 6,995$.

1B4Xc.jpg

The centennial edition of Browning's classic custom 1911.

Also, how many of you wear cologne?

If I'm going out, I currently use Burberry Brit during the day and Obsession Night by CK at night.

I want a bigger diversity of scents for different occasions though, so I've been shopping around to see what seems (smells) right.

Reminds me of a pen i saw at Mont Blanc a few months ago. Was a special limited addition John Lennon pen. Went for around $2.2k

As for cologne. Paco Rabanne 1 Million when i go to parties, mall, etc.

Dunhill when i need to dress up.

The sweeter scent of the 1 Million is more of a "i'm here to party" scent. The muskier scent of the Dunhill just feels a bit more classy.

Hot damn, I love me a 1911. I don't particularly like that one, but to each his own.

My friend gave me an Aurora fountain pen for my birthday. Said his grandparents gave it to him a while back. It's worth some $600. Beautiful pen, can't wait until I really get to write letters here in a year or two. Or get such a horrible meth habit I'm forced to sell it. Or shiv someone with it.

When I wear cologne, I wear either Guess Men for lighter affairs or Armani Code Black when I want lady attention. Sometimes I also use women's perfume for that reason. Haters gonna hate! I don't always use cologne, though. I'm often complimented on how good I smell just me. It's awesome, being beautiful.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Hey, long time no see. You have to post when you get crotch blowout so we'll see whose last longest, my UBs or your APCs.

I have two fragrances that I wear at the moment. Armani Code Black for clubbing/general going out and Gucci Pour Homme II for more formal or calmer events. Armani Code Black projects a little too much for my tastes, but when clubbing it doesn't matter so much, which is why i wear it then. The Gucci fragrance's base note is Tobacco leaves - which sounds bad, but it's actually very good. Everyone I know seems to like it. I've had it called 'familiar', but they can never guess what it is. It is also quite a subtle fragrance, and doesn't project a lot, so people have to get close to smell it - generally a plus.

212 VIP is pretty good as well.

Some of the less sweet ladies fragrances are surprisingly good when you want compliments or female attention, like Lent says. Because it's 'unusual' or 'different' most of the time, but somrtimes just because they like sweet smells. I'd still recommend wearing male fragrances if you're male though. Do not buy Bleu de Chanel if you're trying to impress though, it just doesn't have that impact.

Got a shawl-necked toggle cardigan from Lands' End Canvas today. True navy. Looks soooooo good. Too bad it won't be hot enough to wear it (even though it's pretty thin) for several months.

Land's End Canvas doesn't fit me <_<

I was hesitant about getting a medium. Fits perfectly, though. I always have trouble with my long monkey arms (I have a size 15 neck, but 36+ length arms), but this handles that problem well while not being massive everywhere else. Not to mention toggles look cool as [cabbage]. I don't care if that trend's out.

Oh, and as for lady perfume, I honestly wear it for myself. [bleep] [bleep]es. It's like carrying around a tiny, beautiful-smelling girl on your neck.

Shoulder to wrist?

I'm looking to get these jeans, I tried them on the in the store the other day and my normal size fitted quite well, and they weren't too skinny which is what I wanted. He then said I should be buying the size below because they'll stretch out quite a bit after wearing them for a while..I've heard that people have had problems going the size below and having these sort of jeans being too tight even after wear? (Even someone mentioned it in the comments there). I'm just wondering what if anyone here has experience with that?

(I'm 30 waist and he was telling me to buy the 29)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

He's right, they will stretch. Jeans always do, and they should feel a little tight at first. If you were at a Levi's store, I'd trust the salesman as he probably has more experience.

Ehh idk about that, I think it depends how often you wash them.

I bought a couple pairs of jeans (probably not quite as high quality) and found that they shrunk in the wash to the point that they don't really fit unless I wear them for several days in a row.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Damn boy, you skinny.

As an Aussie who wears jeans, I would personally go the 30 over a 29. Because if you put on a bit of weight (like I sadly did) then there's a bit of room for bulge, while the 29's are already a tight fit, you'll just end up constricting yourself and getting a muffintop. *shudders*

I wish i could fit into skinny jeans. The problem I have is most I find are designed for people with very long and bony legs with zero crutch room, then if i go the size up, they fit but there's a boatload of length left at the bottom.

Popoto.~<3

Yeah i kind of have a problem finding decent jeans these days tbh. No matter where i go. Thing is, i'm tall and skinny. So any "normal" jeans become's wannabe-gangster baggy jeans the moment i put them on. So i'm kind of forced into wearing either slim/skinny jeans or no jeans. Never really had a problem with this until recently. I feel like i'm becoming a bit too old for them. They seem like soemthing a 16 year old should wear and not a 21 year old. Also, after few hours of wearing them they tend to cut off the blood to my legs. Not to mention my crotch.