Developer's Blog - Into the Void

Jon Arcane

It’s always pleasing to have a big idea, and even more pleasing to have others accept it as a good one. For a relative newcomer to the games development business, like me, it’s also a proud moment.

RuneScape’s biggest draw for me as both an avid MMO gamer and a developer is the depth and flexibility of its quests (that and the puns; never forget the puns). We have everything from quarter-hour side trips to world-spanning epics; from quests as classic as slaying a dragon in single combat to quests as bizarre as gathering a smorgasbord of unique foodstuffs to break a magical binding; quests in caves, at sea, in dreams, and on planes beyond the ken of mortal man.

void_knights.jpg

My first offering to the ongoing tales of RuneScape will be with you shortly - I hope you like it. Even while that was in its last stages of development, however, I and two of my fellow devs have been hard at work on a new project for you, and it’s one I have particular investment in.

Playing RuneScape in the days before I joined Jagex as a developer, see, I had felt rather sorry for the Void Knights. Poor fellows - an entire order of holy warriors, strong in their dedication to Guthix and to the protection of the world, who had nothing to do but hang around on their tiny little island waiting for the next incursion by hideous void spawn intent on laying waste the world of Gielinor with fang and claw. There was, I thought, potential there for more.

I mentioned this to Mod Mark, who told me that if I had a concept brief for him he’d be more than happy to look it over. As ‘luck’ would have it, I just so happened to have one handy, and so he had a shufti.

I thought in a best case scenario, Mod Mark would come back to me and say, "Yes, I quite like it; you can do it as a small quest in a year or so." Instead he said, "Great, let’s do this right now. We’ll put three developers on it and make it a complete project."

My jaw hit the floor. What I had imagined to be a little side-project quest to be done ‘at some point’ had become an entire chain of three quests and an activity. Turns out I’d timed things right, since many players enjoyed the two Summer quests in 2008 (Spirit of Summer and Summer’s End) and last year’s Mysteries of the Mahjarrat series, and so the powers that be were receptive to the idea of another group of themed quests. My little pet project fit the bill, as a self-contained arc to be carried out and completed in a timely fashion.

Now I’m working with Mod Nancy and Mod Rathe to bring you a tale of the knightly orders, of the void pest threat, and of the return of a villain from your adventurers’ dark pasts. You’ll encounter old allies and old enemies, discover more of the nature of the pests, and train with the Void Knights in the art of military command.

So, as stated at the beginning of this blog, it’s always pleasing to have a big idea accepted. I trust we can do it justice, and I hope you will all enjoy following the story, challenges and the activity we’re preparing for you. As always, it’ll be released ‘when it’s done’ (Summer Knights is more a pun than an indication of the release date!), but I hope to be able to bring you more information about it all as development moves along. Watch this space!

Makes me think back to all good mysteries come in three's (think that was the clue). So three quests that look like they'll be released fairly soon and in quick(ish) succession with an activity to come, not bad I reckon :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me how I need to do more pest control, but I look forward to it. The Void Knights seem to be one of my favorite groups in the lore simply because unlike knights of other organizations, they actually do something that isn't selfish.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I've never really like Pest Control, due to the lack of lore and the design of the void monsters. Hopefully the quests will provide some insight to which plane these monsters come from, and who's in charge of them, the mastermind or something.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

:thumbsup: Guess what im gonna be wearing when doing this...

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I'm speculating you will need the set to star the quest, so it's isn't only you ;)

Then you're speculating wrong, Jagex stated after Nomads Requiem they dont want to force people to play minigames they don't want to that's why only tutorial completion was needed.. having a set is a totally absurd requirement.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

i usually hate pest control, (hell, i only got full void like 3 months ago!) but i love lores and histories. this should be interesting. hopefully they will reward us with zeal, and higher def versions of void robes.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

i usually hate pest control, (hell, i only got full void like 3 months ago!) but i love lores and histories. this should be interesting. hopefully they will reward us with zeal, and higher def versions of void robes.

I'd love higher def versions of void robes.

I guess I'm the only one who sees anything wrong here? I mean, aren't there like a dozen already pre-existing questlines that need a new one in some form? Myreque, Pirate, MoTM, Elves, Arposandra, Dwarves, Penguins/Slugs, are the ones that spring to mind? Do we really have to do this now? I mean, I have no issue with this idea for a small quest arc, but I really wish they would finish a few of the others ones first before doing new ones. :mellow:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I guess I'm the only one who sees anything wrong here? I mean, aren't there like a dozen already pre-existing questlines that need a new one in some form? Myreque, Pirate, MoTM, Elves, Arposandra, Dwarves, Penguins/Slugs, are the ones that spring to mind? Do we really have to do this now? I mean, I have no issue with this idea for a small quest arc, but I really wish they would finish a few of the others ones first before doing new ones. :mellow:

Would you let a new guy continue an existing storyline?

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I'm speculating you will need the set to star the quest, so it's isn't only you ;)

Then you're speculating wrong, Jagex stated after Nomads Requiem they dont want to force people to play minigames they don't want to that's why only tutorial completion was needed.. having a set is a totally absurd requirement.

How about a boss that requires full void to kill after completion of the quest series?

Unless you are a choob of Mod Chris L, I better start getting the void set right now not to miss out on the profits. nvm

Sure, since on this project he'll be working with two others, it could be done the same way on an existing storyline. I wouldn't do one of the more important ones like the elves, Myreque or MoTM, but I think they could certainly put him on Pirates or Penguins.

I guess the newcomers can't all have thew chance to do stupid holiday events which would be better. :P

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

Ever since the Summer arc I love these themed quest groups! :thumbsup: Multiple quests of similar quality and the same storyline in rapid succession, great! I agree with the guy that the Void knights really need some lore support, so I'm happy they finally get it, and I'm pretty sure it won't dissapoint. Not to mention the concept art <3:. And don't worry MHL, Jagex is working on the next Myreque quest as we speak.

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

Sure, since on this project he'll be working with two others, it could be done the same way on an existing storyline. I wouldn't do one of the more important ones like the elves, Myreque or MoTM, but I think they could certainly put him on Pirates or Penguins.

I guess the newcomers can't all have thew chance to do stupid holiday events which would be better. :P

As far as I'm aware, certain developers take care of certain questlines or aspects of Runescape, meaning that Developer A takes care of all Myreque quests, Developer B takes care of the Elves, etc. Ravian is right: They wouldn't just hand an old questline to a new developer unless that questline's previous developer gave it up (like with the dwarves).

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.