Inflation..

ccesssu

Jagex knows, they said they're gonna take deflationary measures.

Dungeoneering weapons will drain some money from the economy, and they've recently eliminated the Jewelry Rogue.

inflation occured mainly because of PVP drops, because jagex couldn't think of a better way to implement a loot system.

Naaxi.png

Dungeoneering weapons will drain some money from the economy, and they've recently eliminated the Jewelry Rogue.

inflation occured mainly because of PVP drops, because jagex couldn't think of a better way to implement a loot system.

The dungeoneering weapons? How much does the repairs cost?

They just need to get rid of pk statuettes and replace them with a wep or something of similar value

These topics never get old. :P

Jagex are aware of it like Mori said.

Just sucks for anyone who isnt riding the inflation and is getting burried under it.

Edit: The level 80 items cost from 200k to 2m depending how many tokens you use aswell as coins to repair it.

Although Pvp drops played its part, alching plays a bigger part.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

People love to complain about inflation. There aren't really many cases where it really matters all that much, though. It's mostly an overblown issue.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

They just need to get rid of pk statuettes and replace them with a wep or something of similar value

Definitely not weapons. That would defeat the purpose of them removing weapon PVP drops and replacing cash.

Perhaps skilling resources like logs, coal, etc would be good.

anyways, alot of gamers don't train fishing/wcing/mining for the sake of money anymore

(The lower level players do though, and the update I just proposed would be a huge kick to the sensitive regions for them)

ultimately i think you should be allowed to trade in statuettes for a VARIETY of items, cash, resouces, weapons, etc.

if balanced properly, this would, at the very least, spread the economic impact of PVP drops over more items than just the GP

balancing takes effort and skill though. I doubt jagex is up to the job.

Naaxi.png

The dungeoneering weapons? How much does the repairs cost?

Dungeoneering weps and shield cost 2m per 15 hours to recharge i believe.

The current inflation isn't that bad I think, most of the money coming in is from pvp drops, which give way less than they used to when you could make a big profit 25k'ing.

EDIT: I like Morionic's solution. However you're right, balancing would be hard, if not impossible. Everyone would straight out go for the most possible option at that time. Even if they would all be of the same value, the majority will pick the cash option to avoid the need for selling the resources.

Maybe they could use a random system. You'll get about the same worth of items, but what item you get is random, with a chance of 50% or so being cash and the other half being randomly picked resources worth the same amount of cash you would get.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

People love to complain about inflation. There aren't really many cases where it really matters all that much, though. It's mostly an overblown issue.

It really isn't. For higher level players who make their money off monster drops the issue may seem smaller as their money making items have also inflated. But for the lower level community which uses raw materials, their prices have barely risen at all in comparison. The gap between the rich and poor has been greatly increased.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Definitely not weapons. That would defeat the purpose of them removing weapon PVP drops and replacing cash.

Perhaps skilling resources like logs, coal, etc would be good.

anyways, alot of gamers don't train fishing/wcing/mining for the sake of money anymore

(The lower level players do though, and the update I just proposed would be a huge kick to the sensitive regions for them)

ultimately i think you should be allowed to trade in statuettes for a VARIETY of items, cash, resouces, weapons, etc.

if balanced properly, this would, at the very least, spread the economic impact of PVP drops over more items than just the GP

balancing takes effort and skill though. I doubt jagex is up to the job.

Noted dragon bones please? :P

It really isn't. For higher level players who make their money off monster drops the issue may seem smaller as their money making items have also inflated. But for the lower level community which uses raw materials, their prices have barely risen at all in comparison. The gap between the rich and poor has been greatly increased.

Not really. For every person who pays more for a raw material, someone else gets more for producing it.

Things go up in price, and it also gets easier to make money.

The only areas really impacted are ones related to high alch prices and the like. Most of the rest of the impact of it is psychological, not real.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Are you sure about that? I don't think people alch as much as they used to. There are way better ways of training magic nowadays. I think PvP plays a bigger part than alching.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

Are you sure about that? I don't think people alch as much as they used to. There are way better ways of training magic nowadays. I think PvP plays a bigger part than alching.

There's an equation, MV=PQ that could have much more real effects on the price level than inflation.

For instance, take the recent EXP weekend. The prices on virtually everything sky-rocketed. How could this happen?

M = the money supply, the total number of GP in runescape. This didn't change.

V = the number of times a GP is traded in a time period. This did change (dramatically), people started traded more in preparation.

P = the average price of all goods. This did change, as prices became higher.

Q = the number of goods traded in a time period. Its reasonable to assume that the number of goods traded increased, but not by much. There are limits on how quickly items can enter the game.

Anyhow, back on point. A slight change in the rate that a GP is traded can have a huge impact on the inflation in game. If a GP is traded 10% faster, and the number of GP's don't change, there will be 10% inflation.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

What's with certain things like Kwuarms being at an all time low in over a year and staying there? Ever since the exp weekend, I had invested 300M of my money into kwuarms when they were at around 5100-5300 each. All that 300M worth has been sitting in the GE for ever since the exp weekend ended, which is what, like 3 months now? If anything, they should have ROSE shouldn't they? Thousands of Kwuarms were used to make strength potions to train herblore that weekend, so what the hell?

And the fact that they're at an all time low in over a year and no merchant clans are taking advantage makes me even more confused. I'll be keeping those in there until they sell because I calculated it, and if I sold for the price now I'd lose 60M. No thanks. I'll keep them in there for years if I have to. Why are they so low and staying there though?

Look at the GE graph:

23aw35666.png

This was a smart move considering what the graph looks like, the inflation from PVP and alching, the fact that thousands of herbs were turned into potions and the fact that overloads and extremes are wanted by players, but something completely illogical has happened and they've went way below and stayed there.

Can anyone explain? Because this defies all logic of inflation.

There is not significant inflation at the current moment. Inflation is just a scapegoat that the unintelligent blame their economic woes on.

Adding deflationary methods would cause a problem. Leaving things as they are is the correct approach.

The only true way to fight a messed up economy is clearing your bank of all its worth! :P

At least... that's my theory. I'm slowly spending all my cash and items on skills. I figure if I don't have any items or money in my bank, I don't have to worry about price waves. Instead, if I need any money, I can just use my high skills to make some fast.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Inflation isn't a problem for the vast majority of Runescapers. The real wage (as best as you can define it) hasn't really changed since the price of everything has gone up. That 1k of coal is still worth the 500 yews it used to be, and so on. The very wealthy are also unaffected by inflation as their boss hunting and merchanting benefits from the inflation, as more players believe they are able to afford the higher priced drops. Price floors are built into the game by hich alch prices. Prices of certain items will never drop below the Hi alch value + nature rune value, as you could hi alch it instead of selling it for less. This makes deflation an impossibility. Combined with the lack of good money sinks (Construction being the only one of note), the money supply continually increases. If some kind of control of the money supply existed (which it cannot based on game mechanics), then inflation could be controlled. However, moderate inflation at the very least is expected as it cannot be avoided. Therefore, the only way to "control" the money supply is to have money sinks which people cannot use to increase the money supply at a later time and has enough utility or repeatability to entice the player base to use the money sink for an extended period of time.

Shivan.png

It's called the "Grand Exchange," and not the "Grand Alwaysatyourservicetodoyourbidding,regardlessoftheneedsofothers," for a reason.

107,992 to 99 cooking

96,545 to 99 fletching

24,699 to 99 smithing

I would indeed be happy if someone stopped spreading cancer all over this place. Even though it tends to be funny to read, but not as much when someone who demands people to make way for him comes along and decides to call others arrogant.

The only true way to fight a messed up economy is clearing your bank of all its worth! :P

At least... that's my theory. I'm slowly spending all my cash and items on skills. I figure if I don't have any items or money in my bank, I don't have to worry about price waves. Instead, if I need any money, I can just use my high skills to make some fast.

No. You can fight it by not participating in economy. You don't give your money away, you don't give any products away. If everyone did that, prices for everything would fall.

Never ever ever ever going to happen though.

Profins.png

specty.png

Not really. For every person who pays more for a raw material, someone else gets more for producing it.

Things go up in price, and it also gets easier to make money.

The only areas really impacted are ones related to high alch prices and the like. Most of the rest of the impact of it is psychological, not real.

Natures, iron, coal, sharks, yews, magic logs haven't increased the same percentage like whips, high end armour etc has.

I started training runecrafting while it was the best option for money -by far-. (before the gwd I had it to 85, I stopped after the wilderness removal since I felt it made rcing another "repetitive" boring skill).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Not exactly. Don't blame PvP, there are far more factors, with a combined weight of more then PvP, I believe. These would include the rogue, alching, etc.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Not exactly. Don't blame PvP, there are far more factors, with a combined weight of more then PvP, I believe. These would include the rogue, alching, etc.

Eh yeah, but it's easy to blame PVP because it's a trigger point.

I like alching, it's something unique to runescape

the rogue is bad yes, glad it got nerfed.

Remember PVP tricking used to earn millions of raw gp/hour. Alching/rogue ultimately did not bring gp in at those rates.

PVP tricking died down recently, but the raw cash rate is still ridiculous. The rogue and alching takes time collecting logs, smelting gold bars, etc.

All pvp takes is time building up your EP.

ANYWAYS:

My dream solution:

Once every few months, jagex should round up all the leaders of the manipulation clan.

Remove all the items from their account.

Then sell these items on GE for minimum price.

deflation occurs, manipulated items go back to normal prices, manipulation clans get pwned, 3 birds, 1 stone.

chyeah.

Naaxi.png

ANYWAYS:

My dream solution:

Once every few months, jagex should round up all the leaders of the manipulation clan.

deflation occurs, manipulated items go back to normal prices, manipulation clans get pwned, 3 birds, 1 stone.

chyeah.

All the items and GP would remain in game, it would do nothing to stem inflation.

But once again, inflation is not a problem, so there's no need for this solution.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

ANYWAYS:

My dream solution:

chyeah.

All the items and GP would remain in game, it would do nothing to stem inflation.

But once again, inflation is not a problem, so there's no need for this solution.

GP would leave

ppl pay GP's for the items

merch clan leaders never get the cash or the items back

only the items are recirculated, cash used to buy back the items, is removed.

Naaxi.png

What's with certain things like Kwuarms being at an all time low in over a year and staying there? Ever since the exp weekend, I had invested 300M of my money into kwuarms when they were at around 5100-5300 each. All that 300M worth has been sitting in the GE for ever since the exp weekend ended, which is what, like 3 months now? If anything, they should have ROSE shouldn't they? Thousands of Kwuarms were used to make strength potions to train herblore that weekend, so what the hell?

And the fact that they're at an all time low in over a year and no merchant clans are taking advantage makes me even more confused. I'll be keeping those in there until they sell because I calculated it, and if I sold for the price now I'd lose 60M. No thanks. I'll keep them in there for years if I have to. Why are they so low and staying there though?

Look at the GE graph:

23aw35666.png

This was a smart move considering what the graph looks like, the inflation from PVP and alching, the fact that thousands of herbs were turned into potions and the fact that overloads and extremes are wanted by players, but something completely illogical has happened and they've went way below and stayed there.

Can anyone explain? Because this defies all logic of inflation.

As I just mentioned in my other post on a different thread, raw materials are consumables in some senses.

But once we reach 13m XP, some of them just drop off the radar in terms of demand, meaning once we buy something in this sort of economy, we don't ever need it again. It's hard to apply real life economic terms to this phenomena within a video game, but some raw materials are durable goods- We use them right away, but we have their utility in our level forever.

Kwuarm is an example of this; Torstol is not, as people may need to make overloads for PVM even if they are 99 Herblore- they'll still spend the money for it. If this case, if anything, demand for torstol is going to continually go up. Hence, the current price of torstol.

But to answer your question, the reason most herbs took a pooper on their pre XP weekend prices is that most people wanting to get high herblore got it- demand tapered off hugely.

untitled8copyiu7.gif