Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

Yeah, otherwise every person that went fishing would be an insane lunatic until they successfully caught a fish.

What? That analogy is completely flawed. People go fishing, expecting to get fix, and guess what? They get fish. They repeat the action, and guess what? They get fish. Same action, same result.

The analogy lies within the fact that fishing is a game of chance. Sometimes people go to a lake fishing all day and catch nothing. Sometimes they do. It doesn't really matter if they change their fishing tactics as much as it matters how lucky they get.

People who take their forum posting way to seriously. Really, not every post on every thread requires you to make post attempting to refute another member and using five syllable words to try to hide the fact that you are an idiot and don't actually have anything to say worth listening to. Especially on a thread that isn't meant to be serious.

Being sick makes me mean.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

People who take their forum posting way to seriously. Really, not every post on every thread requires you to make post attempting to refute another member and using five syllable words to try to hide the fact that you are an idiot and don't actually have anything to say worth listening to. Especially on a thread that isn't meant to be serious.

Being sick makes me mean.

The kind of person that will reply to something like this with something like "I disagree did you see what I did there truly I am at the height of comedic wit."

They annoy the hell out of me in advance.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

My English class is now trying to ruin everything.

Today my teacher handed out a sheet that SPOILS EVERY CHAPTER of To Kill A Mockingbird, and expects us to take all tests and answer all questions based on that sheet. They seem to have a lot of copies of the book, took one home to read ahead.

Seriously, I hate this class so much...

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

Today my teacher handed out a sheet that SPOILS EVERY CHAPTER of To Kill A Mockingbird, and expects us to take all tests and answer all questions based on that sheet. They seem to have a lot of copies of the book, took one home to read ahead.

English teachers don't deserve to keep their job if they spoil the storyline of a book. I don't see what reason the teacher has to do that.

Greens, I agree. I *loathe* those types of people. It was worse how my school tried to force us to deal with them by using the "you're going to have this in the work force". Yes, but those people get hated by their coworkers in reality and fired for not participating. I have such a bad history with getting those idiots frequently to the point I'd rather take a dive in score to work alone than let some moocher screw me over by annoying me while doing the work. <_<

Yeah, otherwise every person that went fishing would be an insane lunatic until they successfully caught a fish.

What? That analogy is completely flawed. People go fishing, expecting to get fix, and guess what? They get fish. They repeat the action, and guess what? They get fish. Same action, same result.

The analogy lies within the fact that fishing is a game of chance. Sometimes people go to a lake fishing all day and catch nothing. Sometimes they do. It doesn't really matter if they change their fishing tactics as much as it matters how lucky they get.

Since it relies on largely uncontrollable dynamic circumstance, it's not doing the same thing twice per se.

It also assumes that the only objective of fishing is actually catching a fish.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

English teachers don't deserve to keep their job if they spoil the storyline of a book. I don't see what reason the teacher has to do that.

The point of English literature isn't to tell a story, it's to find the philosophical and political references that the author slipped in to the book. Especially if they're anachronistic or match whatever people in your region believe. Didn't you know that?

Shakespeare is a big offender here, apparently writing all sorts of things that the English monarchy of the 16th and 17th century wouldn't approve of (And many ideas that wouldn't be popular until about 400 years after he died), in plays written to appease them.

Can you take a higher level english class? Not to mention that reading To Kill a Mockingbird in 11th grade seems a bit... late.

I thought the point of English was to make up the author's intent and symbols, even when the author says that there aren't any.

I thought the point of English was to make up the author's intent and symbols, even when the author says that there aren't any.

I don't even know the point of English class besides grammar/spelling.

Is there any English teachers/teachers who may know this answer in TIF?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I don't even know the point of English class besides grammar/spelling.

Is there any English teachers/teachers who may know this answer in TIF?

I learned this year that English is about making up a few lines of bullshit about symbols and metaphors, finding a way to say those few lines over and over in different ways, then using a few big words to make your essay sound more intelligent.

The point of English literature isn't to tell a story, it's to find the philosophical and political references that the author slipped in to the book. Especially if they're anachronistic or match whatever people in your region believe. Didn't you know that?

Shakespeare is a big offender here, apparently writing all sorts of things that the English monarchy of the 16th and 17th century wouldn't approve of (And many ideas that wouldn't be popular until about 400 years after he died), in plays written to appease them.

Yeah, but ruining the ending of a book takes a lot of the entertainment value of reading it out of the process, for no real reason. I understand spoiling parts of Shakespeare plays, since they're a lot easier to understand if you know what's going on already.

Can you take a higher level english class? Not to mention that reading To Kill a Mockingbird in 11th grade seems a bit... late.

It is late.

But it seems pretty even level for most people my grade ('Murrika), so I don't know if the class is wrong in having it in this grade, but I've always turned down offers for higher classes because I didn't want to do the work that goes along with it. Might consider it now.

While it's never been this bad, English class has always been ruining good books in some way or another. Last year I asked to take home a copy of Catcher in the Rye the first day we had it, since that was one I really wanted to read on my own.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

That is essentially it. Sometimes an apple is just an apple. I always argued why we bothered dissecting poetry and trying to apply meaning where there's not supposed to be any. Just because an event happened in a poet/writers life, at the time they wrote a particular poem/novel/short story doesn't indicate that there's a hidden meaning between every line.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

That is essentially it. Sometimes an apple is just an apple. I always argued why we bothered dissecting poetry and trying to apply meaning where there's not supposed to be any. Just because an event happened in a poet/writers life, at the time they wrote a particular poem/novel/short story doesn't indicate that there's a hidden meaning between every line.

I actually have to disagree here. It IS possible to find personal meaning in something, even if the author didn't intend for it to be there. The problem is when the teacher tries to teach what THEY saw, and completely disallows all discussion.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I actually have to disagree here. It IS possible to find personal meaning in something, even if the author didn't intend for it to be there. The problem is when the teacher tries to teach what THEY saw, and completely disallows all discussion.

Well certainly, it is all down to personal opinion. And that is the problem. A class of 30 won't get very far if everyone is sharing a different opinion on what the text means. But we can look at any piece of text and decide there's hidden meaning to it. It's a rather foolish way of teaching, in my opinion. There are far better ways to educate, that would be more effective, than throwing several texts and dozens of poems at students and explaining this hidden meaning behind each.

I'm not the kind to beat around the bush. Always "Mr. Negative" when I argued about something (Every poem/story I ever read) - because, as I said, an apple is just an apple. Spinning things to suit ourselves doesn't accomplish anything.

There can always be a case where a traumatic event has happened which lead to something being written, sure. Robert Frost was able to translate real life events and feelings.

I'd nearly say other poets/writers write "Just for lulz" so students decades down the line can bang their heads off a wall while being fed some nonsense their educator thought up.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I'd nearly say other poets/writers write "Just for lulz" so students decades down the line can bang their heads off a wall while being fed some nonsense their educator thought up.

Thats what happened for my English course in year 11-12. It frustrated me so bloody much, eve ones that had a meaning, after you went in depth etc the teacher would still cop out the "thats not his true motives"

OH IM SORRY, I HAD NO IDEA THAT A BOGAN WHO NEVER ATTENDS SCHOOL IS FAR MORE RIGHT THEN ME, DESPITE ACTUALLY LOOKING INTO THE [bleep]ING AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF SAID AUTHOR!

needless to say, these teachers destroyed my English results in HSC and almost cost me 2 years of work for nothing.

Which comes to my annoyance, When teachers go out of their way to practically cheat for those kids in classes that do nothing, abuse people at school etc but pull on the "your my favorite teacher" crap and get what they want. I wish schools were more strict tbh, some of them didnt even have a right to go onto Year 11-12. :\

Popoto.~<3

Waaay ahead of ya :twisted:

Whenever I'm required to write poetry for a class, I either make the meaning as surface level as possible or nonexistent and surreal.

Which comes to my annoyance, When teachers go out of their way to practically cheat for those kids in classes that do nothing, abuse people at school etc but pull on the "your my favorite teacher" crap and get what they want. I wish schools were more strict tbh, some of them didnt even have a right to go onto Year 11-12. :\

Yeah, I hate this too. It's freaking annoying but I wouldn't speak up on it unless it affects me directly. Like say if the teacher spent more time helping a student who's attendance is crap rather than help me then I'll have a go. I noticed a lot of this in high school too, thankfully in college some tutors are a lot more maturer and less concerned with it.

Another thing that annoys me regarding classes is when students ask obvious questions that can be found on assignment briefs or has just been mentioned by the teacher. It's like they don't want to put the effort in in getting that grade <_<

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

The English bashing that's going on here suggests to me that the users of this forum are primarily of the Maths/Science mentality. People seem to be forgetting that, though many works of literature are shallow, there are an enormous array of works that are deeper and, if viewed properly far more pleasurable, than any amount of programming.

The real value of English in terms of education, however, is to teach people to develop the invaluable faculty of critical thinking. The extent to which someone has this ability comes across especially when they comment on the Tip.It Times - the more literal and less critically aware people often misinterpret articles - and by extension someone's critical thinking ability is crucial to their wider interaction and interpretation of all around them.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

The English bashing that's going on here suggests to me that the users of this forum are primarily of the Maths/Science mentality. People seem to be forgetting that, though many works of literature are shallow, there are an enormous array of works that are deeper and, if viewed properly far more pleasurable, than any amount of programming.

The real value of English in terms of education, however, is to teach people to develop the invaluable faculty of critical thinking. The extent to which someone has this ability comes across especially when they comment on the Tip.It Times - the more literal and less critically aware people often misinterpret articles - and by extension someone's critical thinking ability is crucial to their wider interaction and interpretation of all around them.

What about for people such as myself, who have a lack of interest in English as a general subject, but greater enthusiasm for critical thinking as a course in itself?

I'm certainly not of a Maths/Science mentality, although I did enjoy the two. I was always very good at English going through school, I enjoyed the classes. But I didn't like enjoy the "hidden meanings" that the teachers pretend are there. Trying to link them to events, etc. which they aren't related to.

We can do that with anything - pick it apart to such an extent that we are convincing ourselves it was said/phrased in a certain way for a reason... Sorry, but I don't buy it. I never did. It made poetry and others texts tedious and completely destroyed any interest anyone could possible have with it.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

English class is critical thinking class though, especially when you have a good teacher.

It comes in three aprts: One, read something and interpret it. In other words, decide what you think it means. For example, things like going west, winter, and white are often analogous to death. How do you tell if they are in the case of a book? See if it makes sense with the overall plot and theme of the book. You're being encouraged to read between the lines rather than just knowing what is told to you directly. Literature serves as an effective method of teaching it.

Secondly you're taught to coherently and eprsuasively share your opinions/ beliefs. That's what an essay is, after all. A test of your ability to clearly express what you believe, and give a good argument to back it up. That is, again, a skill that will be handy throughout your life.

Finally you're hopefully being taught how to spell, pronunciate, and use grammar correctly so you can get a job one day. (Misspelled words on job applications will kill your chances if they're noticed, as it makes you seem like an idiot.)

This is coming from someone who has taken 7 science courses in high school, 2 of which were AP. And honestly I see a lot of overlapping between science and the analysis skills you gain in English. After all, thinking outside of the box and such are how you make discoveries in the first place.

And to Newb:

It depends on the author, really. I mean, The Hungry Caterpillar had no deeper meanings then what it told you, obviously. But I know that every time I write something, the first thing I think of is what idea I want to express and how I can place it in my writing without directly saying it. Why? Because an idea like "we all will die someday" is obvious and boring to just go out and say, but writing about birds being killed by an eagle, and then a poacher aiming at said eagle actually sounds pretty cool if done right.

Authors like Edgar Allan Poe and James Joyce placed huge amounts of symbolism in their works. Those two would often even make characters be analogous to themselves. Also, keep in mind that if a writer spends a large amount of time on a piece, they're probably doing more than just phrasing it. Successfully isnerting symbolism while maintaining a good narrative is far harder than just writing a tale. (And that's why authors that you may not like or think were that engaging are considered geniuses, because of what they put in their works.)

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]