Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

You can also critically think with History. :shades:

True, and the two classes can overlap a lot. But the way history is taught in my area at least stresses the MEMORIZE THE EXACT DATE THIS HAPPENNED AND THIS TOO AND THIS part far more than the examination and looking for bias parts of history. Which is totally backwards in my opinion. Since knowing the exact date of an occurance makes you look smart and does nothing else. Knowing why it happened and how and how it could again is how you avoid tragedy.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

True, and the two classes can overlap a lot. But the way history is taught in my area at least stresses the MEMORIZE THE EXACT DATE THIS HAPPENNED AND THIS TOO AND THIS part far more than the examination and looking for bias parts of history. Which is totally backwards in my opinion. Since knowing the exact date of an occurance makes you look smart and does nothing else. Knowing why it happened and how and how it could again is how you avoid tragedy.

I have to disagree with the dates. Knowing the year, you can understand what the event/person's world was like. With that you can understand some parts of the event. But you're still right though, generally understanding the event itself is the most important part.

But yeah, history is taught with too much memorization of facts and not enough actual critical thinking. Sorta like my English class, where the teacher did most of the critical thinking... (all in high school, of course)

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

When people type out a long rant directed at some random idiot, and it's actually more applicable to their own life. Actually, who am I kidding? That doesn't annoy me - it's freaking hilarious.

I have to disagree with the dates. Knowing the year, you can understand what the event/person's world was like. With that you can understand some parts of the event. But you're still right though, generally understanding the event itself is the most important part.

But yeah, history is taught with too much memorization of facts and not enough actual critical thinking. Sorta like my English class, where the teacher did most of the critical thinking... (all in high school, of course)

Well, I agree that knowing a general time of occurance is good. After all, thinking that the battle of Themopylae happened at the saem time as the Thirty Years War will lead to issues.

But if you know that say, x, y, and z were the main causes of z, but don't know the exact names of the people who did those things, the exact years they happenned in (but do have a general sense of it), how is that significantly inferior to knowing the exact dates/names/ etc?

But I think that's pretty much you were saying anyways.

And that's true. What is the importance of knowing the name of that one reverend-guy in the Scarlet Letter?

Edit:

OT:

When everyone* on TiF changes their names at once. I start assuming you're all newbs, then see the post count and am all confused.

*Actually 2-ish people that I've noticed so far, but the point still stands.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

People who insist on hanging out right outside my dorm room door. I understand that you may not have morning classes like I do, but [bleep] its nearly midnight, I wake up at 7, and I really like my sleep. [bleep]ing shove off people, there is a lobby for a reason.

It's even more difficult because some of them understand that I am trying to sleep, so they try to be a quiet. That's fine, whatever. But there are two particular shit heads that are either silent or a damn 10 on a loud scale. For these idiots they can't talk like normal and never shut up. So yeah, those kinds of people annoy the hell of me too.

S2buxtG.png

Many of the issues people are having with 'there's no substance to English' is, I might add, a sort of semi-valid prejudice. The problem lies in the sorts of texts covered in early stages of development, which are simple by necessity and thus finding meaning is dull and really rather pointless, for there is only a little superficial 'meaning' to such books. Many people are put off by this, as many would be, and form a generalised prejudice against the idea that a work of fiction can have meaning.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

But there are two particular shit heads that are either silent or a damn 10 on a loud scale.those kinds of people annoy the hell of me too.

I'm one of those kids. Even my whispers carry. I mean, I don't yell, but my voice isn't quiet. I can't help it, especially since I kind of trained it up for Speech. They probably can't either.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Having that feeling that you need to pop your neck, but it won't do it.

Also dislike it when someone places a poorly made and informed flier on every single vehicle when I go inside to get something. Sorry, but I am not interested in anything about the county's tea party or anything remotely political. What's worse is that I've seen some people do it while the owner of the car was busy loading items in the back.

The drastic temperature changes here are really annoying. It's nearly freezing in the mornings but by the time school ends it's back up to 80 degrees. The world should just stay at a nice sunny 75 degree weather everywhere.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

The drastic temperature changes here are really annoying. It's nearly freezing in the mornings but by the time school ends it's back up to 80 degrees. The world should just stay at a nice sunny 75 degree weather everywhere.

I'm only comfortable in the 55-65 range. 70+ feels too warm for me. No surprise people think I am odd for believing 55ish degrees is "just right" when they are only satisfied with 80+. Honestly, I think hot weather is overrated most of the time.

Both on topic, and relevant to the English discussion: there are few things I hate more than the book Heart of Darkness. We spent practically a month on that book in my AP Lit class talking through it and exploring symbolism. There may be social commentary in there, but there is NO way that everything we talked about existed in that book. To this day, I still despise literary criticism because I can make up just about anything about a book and find some way to justify it. Yeah, yeah, I read your arguments about it, but I still hate it. :mad:

Flyingjj.png

I'm only comfortable in the 55-65 range. 70+ feels too warm for me. No surprise people think I am odd for believing 55ish degrees is "just right" when they are only satisfied with 80+. Honestly, I think hot weather is overrated most of the time.

Everytime someone complains about temperature, I just say that it get's to -30C here in the DAY. (-22F)

Which also reminds me that converting Celsius and Fahrenheit annoys me.

Staurolite.png

I think with design changes it's best to just get used to it. The only real problem I've had with it is that you can't mouse over the suggestions to see the full title anymore.

Still, I can't remember where, but I could have sworn I saw a button to delay the update at some point.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

This. Had history class today, will be writing a test soon. Our teacher literally told us to "learn all that useless stuff". It's only memorization and not a bit of thinking yourself. Makes me mad, history can be such an interesting subject, especially if you compare it to modern times or analyse the consequences of history for modern times. But no...

Both on topic, and relevant to the English discussion: there are few things I hate more than the book Heart of Darkness. We spent practically a month on that book in my AP Lit class talking through it and exploring symbolism. There may be social commentary in there, but there is NO way that everything we talked about existed in that book. To this day, I still despise literary criticism because I can make up just about anything about a book and find some way to justify it. Yeah, yeah, I read your arguments about it, but I still hate it. :mad:

I know that feeling...but it either means that your teacher or the author has done something wrong. If symbolism by a good author is analysed, it makes sense and it really helps you understand what the author wanted to express.

The new youtube, thumbnail included.

Can I change it back? If yes, how?

Agreed.

It killed small channels and made big channels even bigger. Small channels are usually the best commentary-wise.

Here's something a lot of you guys will enjoy.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

Here's something a lot of you guys will enjoy.

Hopefully the rest of those awful videos will follow. And then they should salt and burn his account, so nothing can grow there ever again. That works on the internet, right?

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men