Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

Not the better mark at all that bothers me, it's the bragging about it.

Yeah, I forgot to add the reply to that part. I only ever had one person brag about it, and I didn't really like that person to begin with. He just happened to sit beside me in Math and I was about a week ahead so I helped him. It still didn't bother me when he bragged, though. As I have said, school (for me) was never about good grades.

My final year of high school I did maybe 10 minutes of homework for all 6 classes combined. Amazingly, the only time I was in danger of failing a class was the year before. And that was only because the teacher clearly favoured the girls. My friend, who NEVER got lower than an A, finished that class barely above a D.

• Like 1

It sucks when you're proud of yourself for achieving a good score but can't express that feeling. Had that feeling too recently.

I was skyping with my sister earlier and she was playing a pretty catchy song, I asked her for the name but I cannot recall it now at 1:25am... I really want to listen to it ugh.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I hate failing tests

I hate taking tests. I'm a terrible test taker. I have extreme anxiety.

It took a lot of mental work when i had to do 14 exams in 6 months with Aviation School. 14 Subjects with a question bank totaling around 13k questions and 52k possible answers.

Worst 6 months of my life.

It sucks when you're proud of yourself for achieving a good score but can't express that feeling. Had that feeling too recently.

I was skyping with my sister earlier and she was playing a pretty catchy song, I asked her for the name but I cannot recall it now at 1:25am... I really want to listen to it ugh.

Its one thing to be pleased with yourself, which is absolutely fine. It's another to brag about it publicly and be a douche about it.

"I'm happy with what I got" even [insert score] is cool too, but "Omg at least I didn't get a C/D/E!! Yay I'm not a failure at life!" are statements that grind my gears.

I guess this pet peeve is related to today, I hate it when other people's drama gets involved in your life even with you're not directly at the forefront of what's going on >.>

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's test taking. It's not the most useful skill in the world, but hey, I always seem to do pretty well on them.

I don't understand the logic of wanting to lie about not getting a good grade when you actually did get one. It's not bragging if they ask, it's just being honest. Or maybe I just lack empathy, I dunno.

I don't understand the logic of wanting to lie about not getting a good grade when you actually did get one. It's not bragging if they ask, it's just being honest. Or maybe I just lack empathy, I dunno.

I'm guessing that's just a matter of wanting to spare their feelings. That said, I think the issue here is when it goes into bragging, rather than honesty.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that's just a matter of wanting to spare their feelings. That said, I think the issue here is when it goes into bragging, rather than honesty.

Spare their feelings? People don't always care about getting A's, or even B's. Grades don't fully reflect your ability so i don't really think there's any reason to feel sorry for someone if you did better than them in a test.. If i get a B, ask my friend what he got and he doesn't want to tell me because he wants to "spare my feelings" i'd probably think he's a bigger prick than the guy rubbing his A in everyone's face.

Also i realized that a lot of the posts i make on OT seem extremely hostile, even though i hardly ever mean for them to be. How do i adopt a less hostile posting nature? haha.

Oh and here's something that really grinds my gears: Bad service at restaurants. I guess it has become common knowledge here in Qatar that if you go to a restaurant you're going to get complete and utter shit service. You have to almost stand on your chair put your hands in the air, and wave them around (like you just don't care) before anyone notices you. They do their routine stops at the table, but like once ever 15 minutes (if you're lucky). 

The only time you're ever going to get really good service is if you go to the restaurants in the 5* hotels, but then you're going to end up paying ~$65 per person for 3 courses and a drink or maybe 2 (and by drink i mean Soda). If you want an alcoholic drink with that you're looking at ~$85.

And it's funny because even on night/days where there's only like 6 or 7 tables your service will still be shit. I don't think someone really deserves a tip if you have to beg them to serve you.

Spare their feelings? People don't always care about getting A's, or even B's. Grades don't fully reflect your ability so i don't really think there's any reason to feel sorry for someone if you did better than them in a test.. If i get a B, ask my friend what he got and he doesn't want to tell me because he wants to "spare my feelings" i'd probably think he's a bigger prick than the guy rubbing his A in everyone's face.

True. It really depends on the people and the situation, as with every social situation. I'm guessing a good rule of thumb is not to be a dick if you don't have to? :-P

As for hostility... I have no idea.

Guest Smelly Paws

^I've never enjoyed group projects for the reasons that Blake outlined.  I always ended up with people either not pulling their weight or trying to do something completely different to that which was already agreed.  You're right, you should be marked for your contribution and not for the whole project.

The [wagon] who designed String rules and operations in Java.

I take it you've never worked with C strings?

Because [bleep] C strings.

• Like 2

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

^I've never enjoyed group projects for the reasons that Blake outlined.  I always ended up with people either not pulling their weight or trying to do something completely different to that which was already agreed.  You're right, you should be marked for your contribution and not for the whole project.

Most of my group projects went like that. One or two people do all of the work while everybody else does nothing. I've even been the one to do nothing (the rest of the group didn't even tell me when they were getting together to work on it), despite the fact I hated not earning the good mark I got on it. It was a law project in which we had to pick a children's story and find charged to be laid against the protagonist. We chose Goldilocks.

I can only think of one exception, really, where I did the researching/writing and my friend made props for the presentation aspect. I'm only even counting that because we were the only pairing, the rest had 3+ people.

So basically, to be on topic: Group projects and getting grades I didn't earn. For the reasons why, see my first paragraph.

"People in the work force work together!"

One of the biggest lies! There are lazy people you gotta pull along in work too.

This is why when I'm a teacher I won't have ANY group work. I don't know what study in the 70s said, but it doesn't make "kids learn better" if half of them don't do anything.

• Like 1

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

"People in the work force work together!"

One of the biggest lies! There are lazy people you gotta pull along in work too.

This is why when I'm a teacher I won't have ANY group work. I don't know what study in the 70s said, but it doesn't make "kids learn better" if half of them don't do anything.

Are you an education major as well?

Actually, group work might one of the most effective things school does to teach you about life after school. The world is full of lazy people who are hoping you will drag them along to greatness with you.

It's not a good lesson, but it certainly has some truth to it. But no, group work can suck. Not always though, when it works well, it works really well.

My roommate uses my kitchenware and utensils without asking and leaves them around, dirty. That truly annoys me.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

There's some value to group work in Jr High and High School, but it should be structured so marks are based on individual contributions, not the final product as a whole.

I don't think I've had an assignment graded around this idea until college, and even then it was only in a communication studies class based on group work. It's a much better way to give people a stake in the project.

When I drunk text someone when completely being full kelloggs. And I have to sort things out in the morning, since I tend to text quite [bleep]ing bad stuff.

And I don't know how to stop it aswell.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Pepperoni and cheese pizza. Every time a group of people want pizza, it's always pepperoni and cheese. Pepperoni sucks and if you're ordering a cheese pizza you might as well save time and money by making a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup. The kind of pizza I usually get replaces the tomato sauce with BBQ sauce and has chicken and bacon as toppings and the few people I've managed to get to taste it have all loved it. They don't need to love my kind of pizza but they need to experiment because I'm tired of my only choices being pepperoni or cheese whenever I'm with others.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

I concur with your pizza choice, anything with bbq sauce and chicken and I'm all over it :D I don't get why so many people love ham and pineapple though, it just seems wrong :S

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!