Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chaotic Rapier vs Longsword

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1730 replies to this topic

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:xpx

The Chaotic Rapier rips through Bando's GWD's Boss.

I'll be able to do it with Overloads and Piety in... 2 days. The difference between me and him will be the fact that I will be taking advantage of the +30 stab bonus he sacrifices. And my attack is 9 levels higher. =p

At Bando's GWD, Rapier > CLS.

Completely untrue. Give someone like ME a CLS vs Rapier, and I'd find rapier more useful.

One thing most of these debates neglect is how useful the boosted accuracy is to people without overloads/extremes, maxed combat, and turmoil. I didn't put in piety because it's not that high leveled/I have it. I somehow doubt that if I tried both at Bandos GW, I'd find the Rapier the better choice.

So you are saying that cls is better than rapier if you suck enough? Not the greatest advertisement for anyone to buy it, to be honest. And even by that logic, you will at some point suck little enough for rapier to be better and from then on, you've wasted 200k tokens. Also, as for most people the repair cost seems quite spicy(not that it is), most of the people who will be using these will not suck hard enough for cls to be better... So as a status report on this thread, can anyone think of places where the cls has a clear advantage over the rapier? because the opposite is true for a load of things. Only thing i can realistically think of is mithril dragons, as their defence is still a bit brisk(though i havn't tried with sup antifire yet).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts
Original post changed because I found it... off.

I'll be able to do it with Overloads and Piety in... 2 days. The difference between me and him will be the fact that I will be taking advantage of the +30 stab bonus he sacrifices. And my attack is 9 levels higher. =p

Completely untrue. Give someone like ME a CLS vs Rapier, and I'd find rapier more useful.

One thing most of these debates neglect is how useful the boosted accuracy is to people without overloads/extremes, maxed combat, and turmoil. I didn't put in piety because it's not that high leveled/I have it. I somehow doubt that if I tried both at Bandos GW, I'd find the Rapier the better choice.

So you are saying that cls is better than rapier if you suck enough? Not the greatest advertisement for anyone to buy it, to be honest. And even by that logic, you will at some point suck little enough for rapier to be better and from then on, you've wasted 200k tokens. Also, as for most people the repair cost seems quite spicy(not that it is), most of the people who will be using these will not suck hard enough for cls to be better... So as a status report on this thread, can anyone think of places where the cls has a clear advantage over the rapier? because the opposite is true for a load of things. Only thing i can realistically think of is mithril dragons, as their defence is still a bit brisk(though i havn't tried with sup antifire yet).

Na. Rapier rarely misses with Extreme Attack. Sometimes with Supers. You can kill the dragons fast enough for 2 drops to be visable from 2 different dragons, so 4 Dragons in about 2 minutes. Again, this is only with Piety.
The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Levon_
[ Display Name History ]

Levon_

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 799 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Levon
  • RSN2:Dang 5 def
I think Longsword is better than the Rapier if you suck enough..

Think about it.

If you were 80 attack what would you want for bandos. Whip or GS

GS ofc.

Seems to be like the same situation..

Also, what do you think would be better for me? 95 attack, extreme pots, piety. On graar
Posted Image

It's great you know what you're talking about rustiod. Everything you've said is 100% accurate a true.

That being said...your a [bleep]ing [bleep] douchebag, and none of your advice will ever (or should ever) be taken seriously because of it.

disregard good advice because the giver is a douche

THAT MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON

ghjkl
[ Display Name History ]

ghjkl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,226 posts
Longsword is better than rapier on Graardor. There is no way that rapier hits at least 54% of the time on him. However, on DKs and TDs rapier would be better.

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts

+30? Rune Defender is 20 and ardy cape is 6 but wheres the other 4? :blink:

Dragonstone Ring (I). Also, subtract 1 because the Fire Cape provides +1. =p

Longsword is better than rapier on Graardor. There is no way that rapier hits at least 54% of the time on him. However, on DKs and TDs rapier would be better.

Again, this video:

The person in the video, who is only 90 Attack, comes close to this 54% you talk about. He is missing out on the +20 Stab on the Defender because he is using Divine. With 99 attack and the Defender the only thing that would keep someone away from this magical number of 54% (which I'd love to know how you got) is the Random Number Gods.

I didn't go through the entire video. I went through about 20% of it. Because I have things I'd rather do.
The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Napalm
[ Display Name History ]

Napalm

Scarier than Haunter

• Members
  • 2,198 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

Whip's stats alone are already good enough for me so when I do get to make a choice between the Rapier and the Longsword although I understand that the Rapier is better I will be getting the Longsword. It's gotten to the point where I just don't give a damn about efficiency I just want to play the game by my preference. I think the Longsword looks better and as a weapon it's more appealing to me.

Of course if I ever do build up enough tokens then one day I'll also buy the Rapier just for collections sake!

Ugh... GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!

That's exactly my view on the subject. Althoug I'll be using it for slayer mostly, I just don't care anymore about DPS. Rapier looks ugly, and I like seeing higher hits without having to give up my shield slot, so CLS is the thing for me.
Posted Image

Sir_Squab
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Squab

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sir Squab

you just disagreed and said "give me both and id find rapier more usefull" thats what he just said that rapier is best

to my understanding you just posted disagreeing with him saying its untrue, then you went thru and agreed with him that rapier is better, thats realy confusing me

Er, sorry, that was totally a typo. I'd probabyl find CLS more useful. I don't blame you at all for being confused :wall:

True, true, I also have a typo in there, I'd rather have CLS then Rapier at my stats, just to make that clear.

Keep in mind, I think there's a difference between sucking and having maxed melee/overloads/turmoil. However, my melee stats are almost in the 90s (90 attack, 89str/def) so they aren't THAT low.

That being said, I haven't owned either weapon. I think it'd be good to do some tests on CLS vs Rapier with maxed melee/piety, no untradeable potions or turmoil.

Then again, the turmoil boosts aren't that much higher then piety, untradeable pots aren't available in PVP, and it seems that rapier does extremely well then, despite lacking some K0 potential....Ok, I'm convinced that Rapier > CLS in most situations.

I still think it'd be interesting to see how CLS vs Rapier fares at Bandos or somewhere else WITHOUT extremes/overloads. I'd put in a stronger argument if I actually planned on getting 80 dunge anytime soon. Plan to quit at 70 once I get the arcane stream.

+30? Rune Defender is 20 and ardy cape is 6 but wheres the other 4? :blink:

Dragonstone Ring (I). Also, subtract 1 because the Fire Cape provides +1. =p

Again, this video:

The person in the video, who is only 90 Attack, comes close to this 54% you talk about. He is missing out on the +20 Stab on the Defender because he is using Divine. With 99 attack and the Defender the only thing that would keep someone away from this magical number of 54% (which I'd love to know how you got) is the Random Number Gods.

I didn't go through the entire video. I went through about 20% of it. Because I have things I'd rather do.

Note that he also had overloads. I'd be much more interested if he used super set or something. Even extremems are far off for me...then again, so is a chaotic weapon.

The general conclusion I'm getting from this is that Rapier > CLS unless your a relatively low level. "Relatively low level" is using people who have near maxed combat and extremes at their disposal. Anyone care to disagree with that?

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

howbadisbad
[ Display Name History ]

howbadisbad

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,318 posts
  • RSN:teh stew
  • Clan:Mafia City
Whether or not the CLS is better FOR YOU, that doesn't change the fact that the rapier is better.
Posted Image

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

Quasar
[ Display Name History ]

Quasar

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • RSN:Quasar
It's not like it's hard to get money for extremes or turmoil... It's much harder to train melees.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

anonymouse_
[ Display Name History ]

anonymouse_

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,721 posts

It's not like it's hard to get money for extremes or turmoil... It's much harder to train melees.

It doesn't take much effort to afk AZs for a few weeks tbh

3hitm4g3u
[ Display Name History ]

3hitm4g3u

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
Rapier would definately be my first choice but OP severely underestimates CLS.

Alot of RS players have a thing called a life.
Posted Image

Articultural
[ Display Name History ]

Articultural

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 516 posts

Note that he also had overloads. I'd be much more interested if he used super set or something. Even extremems are far off for me...then again, so is a chaotic weapon.

The general conclusion I'm getting from this is that Rapier > CLS unless your a relatively low level. "Relatively low level" is using people who have near maxed combat and extremes at their disposal. Anyone care to disagree with that?

He's 90 Attack so pots to 114 with Overloads, that's the same as a Super Attack at 95.

Posted Image

timmmmm83
[ Display Name History ]

timmmmm83

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 552 posts

So as a status report on this thread, can anyone think of places where the cls has a clear advantage over the rapier?

So...

Slayer: rapier (because of the low defence most slayer monsters have)
Godwars: longsword (high defence monsters)
PVP: maul (because of the KO ability)

Right? <_<

I only want to spend tokens on one weapon, so I truly hope this conclusion is false. :P

If only dungeoneering weapons were exchangeable just like castle wars armour... :roll:

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)

So as a status report on this thread, can anyone think of places where the cls has a clear advantage over the rapier?

So...

Slayer: rapier (because of the low defence most slayer monsters have)
Godwars: longsword (high defence monsters)
PVP: maul (because of the KO ability)

Right? <_<

I only want to spend tokens on one weapon, so I truly hope this conclusion is false. :P

If only dungeoneering weapons were exchangeable just like castle wars armour... :roll:

Well, a rapier is clearly best for slayer/other low defense monster hunting. It's good for boss hunting, and it's shown to be pretty good for PVP. I think I've stated before in this thread and others, but rapier is the most versatile of the weapons.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Rapier would definately be my first choice but OP severely underestimates CLS.

Alot of RS players have a thing called a life.

Oh sorry, getting maxed melee/herblore in 7 years is so hard... The xp now is 10 times of what i used to get while i got 85's in melee, 5 times that of what i got getting 95's in melee, 3 times that of what i used to get getting 99's in melee. Maxing out these stats nowadays is MORE than easy. Unless ofcource you suck enough..... After pc, melee is worthless.

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • RSN:bedman
I just bought a Rapier. I tried it out a bit in clan wars, and tbh, I wasn't too impressed by the accuracy or high hits. Okay, I did 2 hit a guy once (550 440), but all in all it didn't seem that game changing as I hoped it would have been.

On slayer however, it absolutely owned. I managed to hit a 701 on a dark beast as my max (this was including dfs and str amulet for max non pvp armour str bonus). I timed 10 min of pure rapiering (no claw specs) and came out at 38.4k slay xp per hour. That's pretty damn impressive, for pure melee'ing.

After that, I tried mith drags. I used ardy cloak and onyx (i) for extra accuracy, but it still sucked. I only brought a few tuna, thinking I would manage with soul split, but I tellied out after one drag...

Gonna try KBD now.

Sly_Wizard
[ Display Name History ]

Sly_Wizard

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
The fact that no one ever bothers talking about the chaotic x-bow or the chaotic staff speaks volumes to how useless they really are.

mujammil
[ Display Name History ]

mujammil

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,456 posts
  • RSN:MujGunGetDiv
Can someone try their CLS uot at slayer and compare it with whip, because i'm jubious as to what to get, i'm gonna slay a lot to max melle, but i'm gonna MH even more in summer because thats what i like. If the CLS is better than whip at slayer than i will get, but it appears CLS is on the same level as whip on slayer, i just don't know :S

Dragonlordjl
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonlordjl

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,443 posts

The fact that no one ever bothers talking about the chaotic x-bow or the chaotic staff speaks volumes to how useless they really are.

Chaotic Staff does in fact give +20% magic damage, though.
Posted Image

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Can someone try their CLS uot at slayer and compare it with whip, because i'm jubious as to what to get, i'm gonna slay a lot to max melle, but i'm gonna MH even more in summer because thats what i like. If the CLS is better than whip at slayer than i will get, but it appears CLS is on the same level as whip on slayer, i just don't know :S

It's worse for all Kurdal dungeon monsters apart from irons and steels, otherwise better for aquanites, mithril dragons, black dragons, same or a bit worse for everything else. Assuming etremes/turmoil(piety). Overall(as most of the tasks it is better for are rare/blocked) it isn't worth it for slayer(unless you use it for the specific tasks). Rapier is better than cls for slayer except for mithril dragons.

Chaotic Staff does in fact give +20% magic damage, though.

Really? any proof of that or you are just .....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users