Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chaotic Rapier vs Longsword

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1730 replies to this topic

Lep
[ Display Name History ]

Lep

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Lep
Making this because I'm sick of morons comming up to me and asking, "Y not CLS omfg?" :rolleyes:

Chaotic Rapier vs Chaotic Longsword
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SxyrFCQoC4

Chaotic Longsword
Comparable to: Vesla Longsword
Best attack: 124 slash attack
Speed: Longsword, slower than Abyssal Whip
Posted Image
Notes: See how close the Chaotic Longsword is to Vesta Longsword? There's almost no difference. The Chaotic Longsword is actually worse because it doesn't even have a special attack. I'd rather just buy a Vesta Longsword. Everyone is acting like this weapon is the end-all be-all weapon on RuneScape - saying it's like a one handed Godsword. With a Rune Defender, yeah, it's like a one handed godsword, that's slightly faster and has no special. You can also eat twice between hits. Or, you could just get a Vesta Longsword which is also a "one handed Godsword." Or, you could just, I don't know... get a Godsword? Really, the Chaotic Longsword is not as amazing as it's hyped up to be. You know why it's so good for Godwars? Because Godswords are... see where I'm going with this?

Chaotic Rapier
Comparable to: Nothing, but closest is Abyssal Whip
Best attack: 94 stab attack
Speed: Abyssal Whip
Posted Image
Notes: See how close these two AREN'T with eachother? They are the same speed but the Chaotic Rapier has 12 more accuracy than the Abyssal Whip and 19 more strength. Last time I checked, strength was the most desired thing amongst the majority of players. People go for 300 Mobilising Armies rank just for 4 more strength. Did everyone suddenly forget how good the Abyssal Whip was and still is? It is THE weapon for almost everything, including a lot of boss monsters. So no one sees how the Chaotic Rapier - which has 12 more accuracy and 19 more strength - is the best weapon in the game now? I'm pretty confused here.

Here's some more little facts:
-The Rune Defenders highest attack stat is stab attack at 20
-The Ardougne Cloak 3 gives +6 stab attack
-The Chaotic Kiteshield gives +2 stab attack and has the highest slash defense for a shield in the game (anti-CLS)
-Dragon boots give less stab defense than slash, and considering almost everyone uses Dragon Boots...
-Every used shield such as Dragonfire shield have less stab defense than slash

Now, it can also be argued that almost all used armor such as Bandos or Runite have more stab defense than slash, but how significant is that difference between the difference in maximum stab attack with Chaotic Rapier? And really, an Ardougne Cloak 3 and Rune Defender aren't hard to get a hold of at all... so they can definately be counted in the equation for situations.

Results
Chaotic Rapier is like an Abyssal Whip on steroids
Chaotic Longsword is like a Vesta Longsword on anti-depressants

Squisher_33
[ Display Name History ]

Squisher_33

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
i too chose rapier and got the "cls is better"

amusing what ive heard like "theyre same speed" or "cls has more str so its best" or "yea but everyone gets it so theyre probably right and not you"

heres what sold me, 20 more att bonus isnt gonna make a huge differance, aspecialy on your average monster, maybe a bit on a highe def boss but thats it

i actualy did the dps meath, assuming you hit 100% of time, cls is 3 and rapier is 2.4

i think it came to arond..

rapier = 125 dps
cls = 110 dps

meaning yes rapier only hits about 60 lower meaning its speed realy realy racks up the dmg

the accuracy isnt noticed at all on slayer, maybe slightly on say...bandos

if i get another ice wyrm task ill post some 700 hits with rapier

ive hit about 630 with rapier so far...thats using piety and im about to get turmoil i calced id be hitting 700 at 99 str, and with dfs + zerker (i), id be hitting 729 at 99 str

also the +40 items like fero ring and fire cape realy realy favor faster hitting weapons because their effect is noticed even more

edit: heres prosst + piety + 93 str, im about 14 str bonus from max, 6 str lvls from max, and 9% dmg from max but heres one (like i said ill be hitting over 700 in a week once i get turm, bandos, and 95 str)

Posted Image
Posted Image

Jehosaphat
[ Display Name History ]

Jehosaphat

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,927 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Theros
  • RSN2:New Fatscape
I might end up getting one of these... eventually....

Until then, I'll be happy with all the lower rewards I bought. :D
Posted Image

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts
I know exactly what you're saying. At house parties, Clan Wars, and even Pking people are calling it a "waste." The rapier is the most destructive weapon I've ever used in Runescape hands down and I can make asy work of most people with only Piety. With Turmoil and Soul Split...

And the best part is that not only does it train strength, it's slash option is nearly as good as the Whip's. They have high stab defense? Switch to slash and you have a high-hitting whip.
The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

Proud of who I am and what I am.

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)
The rapier is definitely the best weapon for general use. CLS and CM are more niche weapons, IMO. I'm going with the rapier because it's definitely the best weapon for my purposes, which is slayer, safe PVP, and a little boss hunting.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Lep
[ Display Name History ]

Lep

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Lep

I know exactly what you're saying. At house parties, Clan Wars, and even Pking people are calling it a "waste." The rapier is the most destructive weapon I've ever used in Runescape hands down and I can make asy work of most people with only Piety. With Turmoil and Soul Split...

And the best part is that not only does it train strength, it's slash option is nearly as good as the Whip's. They have high stab defense? Switch to slash and you have a high-hitting whip.

Ya I was actually looking at the Rapiers slash attack as well lol and it's pretty good compared to whip. Rapier is most destructive weapon I've ever used as well. I've been killng tzhaar lately and fairly often I'm hitting 3-4 400s/500s in a row. These are pretty weak monsters, but I've been going to PoH's too.

Somehow that I'm not sure of - although I'm 100% sure it's my Chaotic Rapier - I've been whooping ass just wearing void and fighting with Rapier on turmoil. I never even use a spec weapon. I've been finding it very common that I'm beating people in Bandos/Barrows armor just fighting with Rapier. I've even been killing multiple people in a row and surviving Dclaw specs and still winning.

Anyways, that's just an example.

I also don't get the arugment that Rapier looks bad and looks like a stick. How does it look like a stick? It actually looks different from other weapons. Have you see Chaotic Longsword? That thing looks lame, not the Rapier...

Jehosaphat
[ Display Name History ]

Jehosaphat

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,927 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Theros
  • RSN2:New Fatscape
On the topic of these.... anyone else notice that they look EXACTLY like their gorgonite counterparts? Probably have the same stats too....

Kinda want the guy to smuggle out some promethium equipment. THAT would be fun.
Posted Image

AlexRose
[ Display Name History ]

AlexRose

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • RSN:Many Cookies

On the topic of these.... anyone else notice that they look EXACTLY like their gorgonite counterparts? Probably have the same stats too....

Kinda want the guy to smuggle out some promethium equipment. THAT would be fun.

They don't have the same stats. They're balanced for outworld use, not the Dungeons.

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts

Ya I was actually looking at the Rapiers slash attack as well lol and it's pretty good compared to whip. Rapier is most destructive weapon I've ever used as well. I've been killng tzhaar lately and fairly often I'm hitting 3-4 400s/500s in a row. These are pretty weak monsters, but I've been going to PoH's too.

Somehow that I'm not sure of - although I'm 100% sure it's my Chaotic Rapier - I've been whooping ass just wearing void and fighting with Rapier on turmoil. I never even use a spec weapon. I've been finding it very common that I'm beating people in Bandos/Barrows armor just fighting with Rapier. I've even been killing multiple people in a row and surviving Dclaw specs and still winning.

Anyways, that's just an example.

I also don't get the arugment that Rapier looks bad and looks like a stick. How does it look like a stick? It actually looks different from other weapons. Have you see Chaotic Longsword? That thing looks lame, not the Rapier...

The accuracy you gain from Void is insane. You make sacrifice some of your max hit, but it feels so good to hit Bando's GWD boss early every time with what some people call "a stick."

Also, calling it a stick is just funny. "Hey. I just killed you by poking you with a stick!" Of course, the best thing about it is this:

It can be called the C. Rapier, which reminds me of M. Bison, and we all know what he is like.
The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts
If I ever manage to get to 80 dungeoneering, I'll be getting a Rapier, since I almost always do slayer.

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

Perakp
[ Display Name History ]

Perakp

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 719 posts
  • RSN:Perakp
  • Clan:TSG
CLS and rapier differences:
longsword has +19 strenght, +30 attack bonus (+any differences in the attack bonuses of other equipment you are wearing)
longsword is slightly slower than rapier, what's the ratio; 5 hits of longsword takes same time as 6 rapier hits?

It isn't obvious to me which one is better, I'd get both. And the c crossbow too.

PereGrin
[ Display Name History ]

PereGrin

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • RSN:Pere Grin
So essentially, I can compare Bandos Chestplate to Dragon platebody.

They are roughly the same stats, bandos wins on range attack.

Next, I compare Rune Platebody to Adamant Platebody.

Rune Platebody wins on all counts.

Therefore, Rune Platebody is better then Bandos Chestplate.

I see what you are trying to do, but you are missing comparing the Whip to the VLS.

You are saying:

Thing1 > Thing2, and Thing3 > Thing4. Therefore Thing3 must be greater then Thing1

Following your logic, you need to compare and prove that Thing4 (Whip) > Thing2 (VLS) before you can compare Thing1 (CLS) with Thing3 (C Rapier)

Or you could simply say that the C Rapier is 4/5 the speed of the CLS. Therefore, if you multiply the stats of the C Rapier by 5/4, you will get a weapon with the same DPS as the C Rapier, but at longsword speed. Then it is very easy to compare the 2.

C Rapier = +94 Stab, +78 Slash, +101 Strength

CLS = +107 Stab, +124 Slash, +120 Strength

(C Rapier) x (5/4) = +117.5 Stab, +97.5 Slash, +126.25 Strength

Basically, the winners are:

Stab: C Rapier (+9.8% over CLS)

Slash: CLS (+21.4% over C Rapier)

Strength: C Rapier (5.2% over CLS)

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts

So essentially, I can compare Bandos Chestplate to Dragon platebody.

They are roughly the same stats, bandos wins on range attack.

Next, I compare Rune Platebody to Adamant Platebody.

Rune Platebody wins on all counts.

Therefore, Rune Platebody is better then Bandos Chestplate.

I see what you are trying to do, but you are missing comparing the Whip to the VLS.

You are saying:

Thing1 > Thing2, and Thing3 > Thing4. Therefore Thing3 must be greater then Thing1

Following your logic, you need to compare and prove that Thing4 (Whip) > Thing2 (VLS) before you can compare Thing1 (CLS) with Thing3 (C Rapier)

Or you could simply say that the C Rapier is 4/5 the speed of the CLS. Therefore, if you multiply the stats of the C Rapier by 5/4, you will get a weapon with the same DPS as the C Rapier, but at longsword speed. Then it is very easy to compare the 2.

C Rapier = +94 Stab, +78 Slash, +101 Strength

CLS = +107 Stab, +124 Slash, +120 Strength

(C Rapier) x (5/4) = +117.5 Stab, +97.5 Slash, +126.25 Strength

Basically, the winners are:

Stab: C Rapier (+9.8% over CLS)

Slash: CLS (+21.4% over C Rapier)

Strength: C Rapier (5.2% over CLS)

I can see your logic, but there is 1 thing that is wrong:

Longswords are speed 5, while the Rapier is speed 6. Your rankings remain the same, but, in stab and strength, the Rapier leads by a smaller margin.

There is also the fact that other Strength bonus and attack bonus boosters aren't calculated. If you get a +54 bonus from your gear (the max, not including PvP gear), the Rapier will be able to make use of it more often and is a heavy factor as well.

*edit* Miss-understood how the weapon speeds per second was calculated. Forgot about a small aspect in the system. Although he is correct, the second part of my post is still valid and is still something I think should be taken into consideration.

Toki_Hakurei
[ Display Name History ]

Toki_Hakurei

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,081 posts
  • RSN:Shouryuuken
  • Clan:HYT
Well thanks to this thread I know what I'm getting now when I reach 80 Dungeoneering.

It can be called the C. Rapier, which reminds me of M. Bison, and we all know what he is like.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Click the "Signed in as..." go to Manage ignored users, copy paste Toki_Hakurei.

I'm pretty sure having boobs is the most broken super power anyone can ever have. 0_0

wioneo
[ Display Name History ]

wioneo

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,410 posts
  • RSN:wioneo
Most people with 80 dung are near if not already maxed so who cares about the xp gain.
Which is better at tds, is what matters to me.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 405~46 Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,8 Legs,9 Spear,2 D2h,8 L Half,49 Boots,2 Skirt,2 DDs,9 Lump,8 Claws,56 Dagger,13 Visage,74 Mace,4 Scimitar,2 Hasta,Baxe,51 Long,29 Royal,2 Kite,Ward,Plate,Staff,Hammer
GWD: 151~4 S Staff,72 Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,3 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,Z Boots,B shield

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 3~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl + GWD2: 6~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots 

Etc: 57~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,6 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,4 Rider Armor,4 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,Blood Shard,5 Hydrix,Gland

Capes

Mecakoto
[ Display Name History ]

Mecakoto

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 454 posts

Most people with 80 dung are near if not already maxed so who cares about the xp gain.
Which is better at tds, is what matters to me.

Those of us that aren't near Maxed, such as me (for slayer). =p

Oh, and the debate has been going since release as to which one is better. Now that a few thousand people have the ability to use this bit of content these threads will cease to be more then speculation and real tests can be done and real experiences can be shared.

Jon Arcane
[ Display Name History ]

Jon Arcane

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 619 posts
Whip's stats alone are already good enough for me so when I do get to make a choice between the Rapier and the Longsword although I understand that the Rapier is better I will be getting the Longsword. It's gotten to the point where I just don't give a damn about efficiency I just want to play the game by my preference. I think the Longsword looks better and as a weapon it's more appealing to me.

Of course if I ever do build up enough tokens then one day I'll also buy the Rapier just for collections sake!

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
Crapi is the safest bet.
Clong is probably too slow to be of much use.
Afterall, whip>godsword except for specs.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

gypsyeater
[ Display Name History ]

gypsyeater

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 234 posts
I've been trying CLS with slayer. It's much faster than whip for kills. I even tried stab at mith drags. I basically hit constant 400-500's. I think the added accuracy from the CLS gives it an edge over the rapier in all situations where the monster/player has higher defence.
If the monster/player has low defence. The only thing that makes the rapier better than a whip is the str boost as accuracy doesn't really matter for those.

Obtaurian
[ Display Name History ]

Obtaurian

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,853 posts
  • RSN:Obtaurian
  • Clan:Dungeonsweepers (DGS)

I've been trying CLS with slayer. It's much faster than whip for kills. I even tried stab at mith drags. I basically hit constant 400-500's. I think the added accuracy from the CLS gives it an edge over the rapier in all situations where the monster/player has higher defence.
If the monster/player has low defence. The only thing that makes the rapier better than a whip is the str boost as accuracy doesn't really matter for those.

Have you accurately recorded exp/h doing that? On low defense monsters, a whip should outperform a CLS for the same reasons it outperforms godswords.

Posted Image

To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users