Quiet Before the Swarm 24-Jun-2010 & Free to play quest changes

Toad

Reasons why I think this update is bad:

-Effect on the economy. Yes, the boots will barely effect the economy but you can't deny that there will be a "panic inflation" that will mess up a few items for a while.

-Free money. People received free money just because they had a certain item, people spend many hours of their lives trying to earn money.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw someone buying climbing boots over 20k in a pvp world.

Where does he get that figure that they were that high 'street' before? :unsure:

*waiting on Omali to respond he pulled that figure from somewhere* :wink:

Dear Timmmmm83,

There are specific ways to woo me, but if you're going to play to my fetish of debating, please make sure that I actually said what you're calling me out on. Nowhere in this thread, or anywhere else on the internet, have I even discussed the boot update today, let alone what the street price was before the update.

With Love,

Omali

P.S: It still worked...emot-swoon.gif

P.P.S: I hope you like sushi, because that's where we're going on our first date. emot-smugdog.gif

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Jagex would not change it because it doesnt really affect them in any way. Who here is going to stop playing just because of this update?

In reality jagex is a company out to make money, not really caring about the customer (it seems that way). They know everyone will keep paying even with updates that have not been thought through.

ChosenZamrok.png

watt.png

Uh, what?

You unlocked the song: pesT controL spelled backwards. :P

And I bet they didnt feel the need to make inventory items for her items, so they just added her armour, then equipped her with those adamant items. (In which, giving her the combat bonuses of the items she has on.)

Id almost bet money they do that for all npc's. Like Gargoyle's equipment interface having some kind of metal armor/weapon, but obviously not the same shown graphics.

Void knights need to spend points on training combat instead on buying fancy addy amour, but at least void knights are not pc products.

Can someone please tell me why this was changed at all? I mean, it seems like there was no reason whatsoever for the change.

There wasn't a good reason. Thats the reason. We just don't know what they were thinking. I also heard there were riots going on about some player being banned for making 2 youtube video's showing his discontent.

They made a mistake here. What we think of that mistake, you may decide that for yourself. But fact remains, there is no justified reason it happened.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

One thing I've noticed from reading this thread is the overwhelming number of people saying 'So much money is going to poor into the economy now!'

If you think about it though, through Slayer and such other skills, so much money is already being poored into the economy. I think alching is an issue that causes the ever-increasing inflation problem.

That's my thoughts. :???:

1251842664adamantdragonsignature.png

One thing I've noticed from reading this thread is the overwhelming number of people saying 'So much money is going to poor into the economy now!'

If you think about it though, through Slayer and such other skills, so much money is already being poored into the economy. I think alching is an issue that causes the ever-increasing inflation problem.

I don't know what to say...how about this:

There's a difference between giving 40k gp as a reward for completing a quest, or getting yourself an item worth 40k through skilling/combat, as opposed to getting 40k for doing NOTHING.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

There's a difference between giving 40k gp as a reward for completing a quest, or getting yourself an item worth 40k through skilling/combat, as opposed to getting 40k for doing NOTHING.

Firstly, a quest is not 'NOTHING' to some people. Infact loads of people hate doing quests that they deem useless (not that it is).

Second, I doubt to buy the boots from the Sherpa is still the 12gp it was. I'm sure it's the alch price or whatever.

Third, my issue is alching in general, not just slayer. Alching brings money from essentially nowhere into the economy. It's been done for since it's been around and is still a very popular way to train magic. So consider this, some people made (estimate) several billions appear, how much do you think alching as made appear since it became? I'm betting more than this. :wink:

Of course I shouldn't be so biased against one type of issue that brings money from nowhere. I recognize that there are plenty of others, but I think a solution should've been found long ago.

1251842664adamantdragonsignature.png

Firstly, a quest is not 'NOTHING' to some people. Infact loads of people hate doing quests that they deem useless (not that it is).

Second, I doubt to buy the boots from the Sherpa is still the 12gp it was. I'm sure it's the alch price or whatever.

Third, my issue is alching in general, not just slayer. Alching brings money from essentially nowhere into the economy. It's been done for since it's been around and is still a very popular way to train magic. So consider this, some people made (estimate) several billions appear, how much do you think alching as made appear since it became? I'm betting more than this. :wink:

Alching is a magic spell, a part of the game mechanics. Doing a quest and getting a reward that everyone has equal oppotunity to obtain is fair and square. Changing the alch price of an item by 3000%, benefiting certain players (some of them in their sleep) by pure luck, isn't.

Great, so now it cost 75k to buy from an NPC. It might either be a small little goldsink using pure PKers, or they might just ignore the boots slot altogether. The question is, why convert all the existing boots in the market to the 75k version, instead of the new quest statless version? If what Jagex say about "a small number of players with significant number of boots" is true, nerfing the boots they own and pissing them off beats buffing the value of all those boots in the market and pissing the majority of the game population hands down, any day.

Or, just manually increase the GE price of those boots to a closer to market value.

Moreover, this change was mostly due to the flaws of GE to update fast enough (or due to price roof on certain items), and prevent false demand and price manipulation. Instead of fixing the problem at its roots, Jagex just keeps trying to nerf near every item possible that has a street value. Cheese, mints, mjolnirs, bringing a monkey into varrock, nerfing the rogue trader that you sell jewelery to

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Instead of fixing the problem at its roots, Jagex just keeps trying to nerf near every item possible that has a street value. Cheese, mints, mjolnirs, bringing a monkey into varrock, nerfing the rogue trader that you sell jewelery to

First of all, the Jewelery issue was a major one. It was every Merch clan's dream and would have brought in more gold then this Climbing Boot "issue."

Next: That's why you don't be a moron and deal with street value. If you're one of the 1% that needs to, then feel free to pat yourself on the back and be prepared to take more hits.

On the whole boots thing: see you in a week when no one except those who seemingly play the game just to hate on it, and bring on the community's negative image, will care.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

The only thing that I like about the boot change is that rune and dragon boots will be rising in price. They're now much more worthwhile to use in PVP.

Should I make another comment about summoning or just sit here and laugh at this profound statement?

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

The only thing that I like about the boot change is that rune and dragon boots will be rising in price. They're now much more worthwhile to use in PVP.

Should I make another comment about summoning or just sit here and laugh at this profound statement?

he was implying that because there's no longer a good welfare boot dragon and rune boots are now better to use in pvp..

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Adamant Boots are pretty decent yeah. Pretty decent defense bonuses at the cost of only +1 strength bonus, pretty insignificant really as most PKing outfits already have a semi low strength bonus (usually around +108ish). I'd be surprised if this doesn't become the temporary replacement for the climbing boots, as they're pretty cheap at the moment (around 5k each?) I have around 50 of them from Slayer though, used to have quite an obsession for them and even dropped charms to pick them up sometimes :razz:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

he was implying that because there's no longer a good welfare boot dragon and rune boots are now better to use in pvp..

I would say it would affect mith and addy boots more than it may affect rune or dragon unless you think risking 90k or 500k for a tiny bonus is a good pvp pratice.

Instead of fixing the problem at its roots, Jagex just keeps trying to nerf near every item possible that has a street value. Cheese, mints, mjolnirs, bringing a monkey into varrock, nerfing the rogue trader that you sell jewelery to

First of all, the Jewelery issue was a major one. It was every Merch clan's dream and would have brought in more gold then this Climbing Boot "issue."

Next: That's why you don't be a moron and deal with street value. If you're one of the 1% that needs to, then feel free to pat yourself on the back and be prepared to take more hits.

On the whole boots thing: see you in a week when no one except those who seemingly play the game just to hate on it, and bring on the community's negative image, will care.

First of all, the jeweley issue was still related to the GE flaw. Need me to repeat? THE GE HAS FLAWS THE GE HAS FLAWS THE GE HAS FLAWS.

Next, I log into RuneScape to play castle wars, slay, farm, and do whichever I find appealing. No one should be forced to study how to bypass the market restriction, or collect items they don't even need in order to buy what they want.

On the whole boots thing: I'm sure many players would be much more appeased if Jagex could have just apologised for the misjudgement they made. Already I see multiple threads on how to have solved the issue better. And you should be calling Jagex a moron, because it is them who refuse to deal with street value and just let the boots remain as they were. <_<

And it's common knowledge that this event would eventually calm down like any other. But would we forget that this ever happened before? Hell no. Already it's the 3rd time for year 2010 that Jagex created some contradicting updates.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Is it me or the new elemental magic animations look like the attack styles from Avatar: The Last Airbender (With the exception of Air, but considering that Air and Water attacks had similar patterns in the Avatar ..)

I just think it is really funny how the GE is such an old update now, but we are still having issues in the game because the system has still not been worked out.

Seems to me that if I was Jagex I would rather spend my efforts on eliminating cheaters than by constantly re-balancing a flawed system that has such a choke hold on the game.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Is it me or the new elemental magic animations look like the attack styles from Avatar: The Last Airbender (With the exception of Air, but considering that Air and Water attacks had similar patterns in the Avatar ..)

Theres definitely a bending inspiration there, and I think it looks very nice

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I am loving them ... I am using magic on my Black Demons and Metal Dragon tasks just to look at the magics (switching between them, for now the earth one is my fav)

Avatar: The Last Airbender? I though the movie was just called The Last Airbender.

I think the Fire wave looks nice, it looks like claws when used right next to someone.

Fire_Wave.gif

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg