Quiet Before the Swarm 24-Jun-2010 & Free to play quest changes

Toad

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what really bugs me about the climbing boots update? The failure excuses afterwards. Mod MMG (or some mod) tried to justify it by talking about street prices. Heck, even if the street prices WERE 75k, people are spending 75k on climbing boots. Instead, now 75k GP is getting put into the economy. PER BOOTS. Not an exchange, a huge influx of currency. And they don't see this? COUGH tip it times topic COUGH

Heck, anybody want to send an econ book to jagex, with a ruler in the 'inflation' section...

Thoroughly retired, may still write now and again

You know what really bugs me about the climbing boots update? The failure excuses afterwards. Mod MMG (or some mod) tried to justify it by talking about street prices. Heck, even if the street prices WERE 75k, people are spending 75k on climbing boots. Instead, now 75k GP is getting put into the economy. PER BOOTS. Not an exchange, a huge influx of currency. And they don't see this? COUGH tip it times topic COUGH

Heck, anybody want to send an econ book to jagex, with a ruler in the 'inflation' section...

It was Mod Mark. His clan chat title is "Wooters" and he has expressed his like for the update and how there will be no rollback. Tbh his job is like community managing or something and well mod MMG does all that basically.

Considering Rune boots have a high alch price of 8k, D boots are 12k. Where would they get the 45k alch price for climbing boots from? That makes 0 sense. Also this update was leaked to certain people beforehand(I know a mod who it was leaked to). So I think Mod Mark was trying to "help" a few of his friends out because anyone who wasn't a true idiot could have seen this coming. Thats why there were a couple people who stockpiled boots.

There were plenty of fixes to this... You could have changed all current climbing boots to the quest version or just made their alch value and sellback value horribly low. Sure they still would have been used in junk trades then, but thats not a horrible alternative to what it is now. The fact they are triyng to tell us people commonly bought them for 75k is bull.

61,358th to 99 range on May 23rd, 2010.

100,927th to 99 def on February 13th, 2011.

pigeons.png

Relics.png

Also to add to the above post, i was also told by a player mod today that the update was leaked to a select amount of players beforehand, so it was not only selective free money but also giving select players an unfair advantage over others(around 22m/h advantage to be persice). I wouldn't be suprised if there was more dirty secrets to this update as jagex clearly has no care for their reputation anymore(very lean bans, little care for autoing and now this).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

All i could do after seeing this update was

Tbh jamflex sickens me. This might be their worst update ever.

And I have like only 40 boots :(

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

It was Mod Mark. His clan chat title is "Wooters" and he has expressed his like for the update and how there will be no rollback. Tbh his job is like community managing or something and well mod MMG does all that basically.

Considering Rune boots have a high alch price of 8k, D boots are 12k. Where would they get the 45k alch price for climbing boots from? That makes 0 sense. Also this update was leaked to certain people beforehand(I know a mod who it was leaked to). So I think Mod Mark was trying to "help" a few of his friends out because anyone who wasn't a true idiot could have seen this coming. Thats why there were a couple people who stockpiled boots.

There were plenty of fixes to this... You could have changed all current climbing boots to the quest version or just made their alch value and sellback value horribly low. Sure they still would have been used in junk trades then, but thats not a horrible alternative to what it is now. The fact they are triyng to tell us people commonly bought them for 75k is bull.

If you think the Lead Designer of Runescape made an update to help out of a few of his ingame friends then you are truly a 12 year old. Content standards change over the years, and old content must be retrofitted to meet the new standards. This is just one of the changes that impacts the game visibly.

Mod Mark KNOWS that it will impact the economy with short-term inflation. He says this in his post. He also knows that a few hundred people got rich. This has NO long-term effect for the economy. Just 12 year olds getting jealous of lucky people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you think the Lead Designer of Runescape made an update to help out of a few of his ingame friends then you are truly a 12 year old. Content standards change over the years, and old content must be retrofitted to meet the new standards. This is just one of the changes that impacts the game visibly.

Mod Mark KNOWS that it will impact the economy with short-term inflation. He says this in his post. He also knows that a few hundred people got rich. This has NO long-term effect for the economy. Just 12 year olds getting jealous of lucky people.

No long term effect? We are talking thousands of bils of coins injected into the economy.

trolololol!

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

No long term effect? We are talking thousands of bils of coins injected into the economy.

trolololol!

It's a single injection to a few targeted areas. People get all excited when things are clearly tangible like this, but over time the boot coins will not compare to what has already been(and continues to be) introduced through pvp and other sources of inflation.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

Theres a world of differance between lucky and favored players. The leaking is certainly true and any respectful company would take serious consideations into the matter to deal with it(which i doubt jagex will do). Also, judging by the player response(the people who pay for the updates and cover their vages), 95% think this was a terrible update and most would agree that there would have been millions of other ways to not make this so hard on the community to accept, not least of which is the fact that these boots proctect over divine(which means they are now useless in the one place they were used before- +1 bh).

For your knowledge, the fact that he is the lead designer doesn't mean he knows anything about runescape, as evidenced by his post. He is just covering his a**, hoping that this will all die down soon.

Also i agree that there will not be a long term affect for the runescape economy because of this, though thousands of wealthy funloving players will lose millions because of this, though i do think there will be a long term effect on jagex as a company, because, as of lately, i've lost alot of trust in them. This will not bode well for them as being customer friendly, honest or decent as a company.

trolololol!

It will inflate the economy for sure, but we've already seen massive inflation in Runescape over the years, this is nothing compared to a couple years ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

For your knowledge, the fact that he is the lead designer doesn't mean he knows anything about runescape, as evidenced by his post. He is just covering his a**, hoping that this will all die down soon.

Lawl gl with that happening. This update is almost on par with the wildy removal in terms of rants.

arcane_stew.png

Lawl gl with that happening. This update is almost on par with the wildy removal in terms of rants.

And we all know how many players they lost back then... and that was actually for the good of the game. This is jagex scoring an own-goal in extra time(just thought a football analogy would work here).

Boot fail. Period.

Quest change fail. Sheep shearer was (technically, sort of) the first quest. (blah blah cook's assistant blah blah).. Yeah I know. Sheep shearer was started first.

This unnecessary stuff annoys me. Don't fix the unbroken.

"not up to the standards of other quests" - Let us apply this logic elsewhere: Bronze isn't up to the standards of today's easy to get armour. Let's remove it. I mean really, who uses bronze? Iron is clearly a perfect substitute. Oh, and those town guards. Those are clearly not up to snuff when it comes to the monsters of today attacking. Lets take them out too.

----------------------------

Speaking of losing players, am I correct in my thinking that there hasn't been 200k+ at any given time after the trade/wildy update?

I think it peaked around 191k on bonus xp weekend. It had been ~250k peak a little before that...

And we all know how many players they lost back then... and that was actually for the good of the game. This is jagex scoring an own-goal in extra time(just thought a football analogy would work here).

I can't even imagine the thoughts that crossed their mind as they created this update. Any way you look at it it's a terrible idea.

Better solution = Make boots 60k then their alch values extremely low and non sellable to the smith. Problem solved. (except people would have a lot of junk :L)

arcane_stew.png

I can't even imagine the thoughts that crossed their mind as they created this update. Any way you look at it it's a terrible idea.

Better solution = Make boots 60k then their alch values extremely low and non sellable to the smith. Problem solved. (except people would have a lot of junk :L)

They'll propably do a alch price fix tomorrow but by then, it's just too late. Everyone who had them will have already alched them or sold to the store if they had a very big load, thus the change wouldn't actually change anything about how terrible this update was.

desk, you are completely right about the drop in the number of players. up to the slayer release or so, we had new servers put into the game very frequantly and posts about this on the first page. Now i havn't seen one of those for years. They are clearly trying to outsmart themselves.

He also said that they researched this decision fully before making it, and that the goal was to have everyone benefit, rather than have a few suffer from a nerf.

1) No one would have actually lost anything beyond their initial investment into the boots. If those stats were worth more than 12gp, and you want to give everyone a chance to benefit and be on a fair playing field, then make a new pair of boots that has stats worth 75,000gp, and give the 12gp boots stats that are befitting of a 12gp item. Not very difficult logic, TBH.

2) I refuse to believe that they actually researched this solution and deemed it as the best course of action. This could have ALL been avoided if they had changed Tenzig to sell you boots in a fashion similar to how you buy battlestaves from Zaff--A chat dialogue that allows you to enter the amount you want to buy for a price linked directly to that chat dialogue. This would remove the inherent relationship between Store price and Alch values, so long as no other store sells the boots, and would allow the boots to have a very, very low value to anyone but another player.

The problem isn't with the new GE price, it's with the Alch values. So long as you have the patience (and the stockpile), you have the money. At a minimum of just under 30k gp per LOW alch, there is HUGE potential for profit. Someone who high alchs 1k boots per hour can turn a profit of 44million in that hour alone, assuming they bought all their boots for under 1k.

---

Edit: Climbing boots have alch values that are more than three times as much as dragon boots. This, right here, should be the #1 reason for a re-evaluation of the update, a rollback and concurrent fix/adjustment, and a proper re-release that doesn't screw the pooch.

---

Please, spare yourself the embarrassment and don't come in here defending a painfully piss-poor excuse for an even worse update.

lizzenkov.png

Remember please, if you do not have anything constructive to add, do not post.

Then you obviously need to delete 90% of this thread because it is mostly rants. #-o

arcane_stew.png

Remember please, if you do not have anything constructive to add, do not post.

Then you obviously need to delete 90% of this thread because it is mostly rants. #-o

Constructive rants :thumbup: Favepalm images :thumbdown:

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

This will cause boots to skyrocket in slayer

Lol when rune boots were 5k

More like lol when climbers were 12gp.

arcane_stew.png