• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metallica

That is all.

BLASPHEMY!

Good job proving his point lol.

Also most mainstream metal bands are overrated tbh, the elements that cause them to be mainstream usually really detract from the music.

What defines a mainstream metal band according to you? Give a couple of names so i know what you're on about.

Metallica, System of a Down, Slipknot, Disturbed, Megadeath, Rammstein, Bullet for my Valentine, Pantera, Lamb of God, Avenged Sevenfold etc etc (thats just a list of most popular metal on last.fm.)

Basically most of this.

The fact that so many people listen to it shows that the metal part of the music is mostly gone and that bands have either sold out or never made good music in the first place. I think the amount of listeners in comparison to lots of other good metal bands would make them way overrated.

And yeah shoot me for using last.fm :mrgreen:

2dvjurb.png

An overrated group can still be good, it just means that they're not as good as the general public says. I'd say Metallica is overrated, but that doesn't mean I don't like them from time to time. I just don't think they deserve the title of 'best metal band EVER".

Woot, someone understands. :mrgreen: That's how I feel about The Beatles. I think they have some good songs and I have some good things to say about their artistic skill, but my rating for them is just simply lower than the average rating they receive.

I think now we need a most underrated band thread.

Hmm I agree at least there would be some good new bands mentioned instead of just endless bashing of well known bands :P

Even though this thread does have some good points.

2dvjurb.png

I guess to be fair there isn't anything wrong with using last.fm but to me it just feels like cheating. Every artist is spoon fed to you by your previous selections of music. It's like "Hey, you like this band, well you MUST like this band." Last.fm is good if you just want to listen to the same sounding stuff over and over again. For me, I look up artists on Wikipedia to see who they collaborated with, who their producer was, who else that producer has produced, and maybe I'll find a new artist that I like. I guess I just find music my own convoluted way.

You're thinking way too much. Music is made to be enjoyed. It's not a competition, there's no cheating.

Idk.... I agree with Range. I like different sounding music, it depends on the mood. And sites like last.fm irk me.

overrated artist.....Lil Wayne. he doesn't write his own material, and half of his songs arent even good. also, auto tune loser. now, the same could be said for many of today's artists, but i think that in the Rap genre, the biggest part is writing your own stuff because it's meaningful to you, and not about some ass you couldnt get because you were a [kitty] and didnt go get it. REAL rap that doesn't suck and is sadly overshadowed by today's BS includes stuff by Biggie, 2PAC, Eminem, Big L, Nas, Jay Z (old stuff), Rakim, Dre, etc.

overrated band.....Jonas Brothers. i dont need to hear [cabbage]ty guitar playing with [bleep]y vocals. and the disney channel [cabbage] along with those [bleep]ing 10 year old girls dont help either.

You don't know what you're talking about, so don't talk. =\

And I know you haven't actually listened to any Wayne except, for maybe Fireman or got money XD

If anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzzs61PAwSc

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

i think you peeps iz pickin the most popular bands and not the most overrated. it may not sound like it but there is a difference. i also think ur pickin bands u dont lyke. i lyke brittney spears, but i think shes overrated!

QFT

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

The fact that so many people listen to it shows that the metal part of the music is mostly gone and that bands have either sold out or never made good music in the first place.

Or that music is infinitely more accessable than it was 30 years ago when metal first caught on, giving smaller, unheard of metal bands the chance to shine, and even bigger metal bands the chance to make it on a lot larger scale. With all the subgenres of metal out there now, "metal" is the mindset and whichever style you choose to play is your genre. Or at least that's what I've drawn from it. I usually look at things a little differently than most though.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

The fact that so many people listen to it shows that the metal part of the music is mostly gone and that bands have either sold out or never made good music in the first place.

Or that music is infinitely more accessable than it was 30 years ago when metal first caught on, giving smaller, unheard of metal bands the chance to shine, and even bigger metal bands the chance to make it on a lot larger scale. With all the subgenres of metal out there now, "metal" is the mindset and whichever style you choose to play is your genre. Or at least that's what I've drawn from it. I usually look at things a little differently than most though.

Yes. Everyone gets bigger (more people discovering), and bands like Metallica who already were huge just gets bigger. Metal overall, since 99/00 has had an enormous increase in fans.

Personally i can't really come up with anyone that i think is overrated (underrated yes), for me it's more that i listen to what i like and don't listen to what i don't like.

I think many people also go in the vein of "mainstream (as some have already pointed out, band-x who were pioneers are now mainstream since they started it all and are one of the biggest now) - overrated".

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Tool doesn't really attract the types that I'm talking about - but I would daresay that a few of them do start out as Tool fans. Then they discover Last.fm, RateYourMusic and a certain few music blogs and everything kind of kicks off. They're quite pretentious and annoying to be around.

I hate the kids that can't find music on their own and have to use last.fm to get it. I usually end up hating the bands that they suggest anyways. And I'm trying my best to not post a pro-Tool paragraph :grin:

Bands I hate that all of you probably love and by no means do the following statements have any personal relevance to any one of you so please don't freak out when I call your favorite artist terrible. You are the one that came on the "Most overrated band/artist" thread in the first place:

Nirvana---Kurt Cobain couldn't even stay alive to take care of his own daughter. Addict piece of garbage. I don't care how "deep" your lyrics are, your voice still sounds like you're taking a dump. Not to mention that his martyrdom led to the spawning of hundreds of other singers like Shaun Morgan of Seether and 1 in 3 other 2000s mainstream rock vocalists.

The Beatles---Blah blah we're on acid and can't play worth a [cabbage] live blah blah. That's all I hear on their albums.

Rush---I'm a drummer and I'm even beginning to think these guys are overrated. Now they're not garbage, but their stuff just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I could go on for hours about all the bands I hate. Pick anything that came out in the last 10 years and I'll probably hate it.

I already know that I like you just by looking at your RSN. :thumbup:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

wouldn't dragonforce be considered overrated? i mean, i like their music, but since we all know Li can't really play that fast, doesn't that take away from it?

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

I already know that I like you just by looking at your RSN. :thumbup:

Mmm tasty beats :)

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• 3 weeks later...

U2

Beyonce

Justin Beiber

DragonForce (Don't get me STARTED)

Kanye West

Eminem (I like his songs but... >.< he isn't as good as half the population of my friends declare he is)

Muse

Metallica

Green Day (Their new songs aren't as good as everyone says they are... I like their old stuff more.)

Snow Patrol

Evanescence (Even though I have 3 of their CDs, they aren't as good as people say. They are good but... Jeez.)

LIGHTsfan.png

signature.png

Rach's the Bern to my Lambda, Req's the Erika to Rach's Bern. It works.

Dizzee Rascal.

I seriously can't understand why most of my friends worship him.

Also there are those people that aren't very talented, just teenage girls think they are 'cute'. I think we can all name one.

redarrows-1.png

A lot of people treat Radiohead and NIN (more specifically Trent Reznor) like they're music gods. I myself don't get the appeal.

Also, U2 and AC/DC.

2009rb9.jpg

Radiohead put out some really nice stuff with The Bends and Kid A. I don't really like anything else, but OK Computer was one of the first non-metal albums I listen to. I found them pretty addictive back then.

AC/DC, however, have zero redeeming qualities.

Snow Patrol

Oh yes. This band is so insipid and repetitive that I could use them as a sleeping aid.

U2

The Beatles (Don't give me a lecture or something like that please)

All the bands I hear on my local rock station

Nirvana

Kid Cudi

Lady Gaga

Lots more that I can't think of at the moment.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

I just remembered my biggest one.

LINKIN PARK

Holy [cabbage].

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

U2

Beyonce

Justin Beiber

DragonForce (Don't get me STARTED)

Kanye West

Eminem (I like his songs but... >.< he isn't as good as half the population of my friends declare he is)

Muse

Metallica

Green Day (Their new songs aren't as good as everyone says they are... I like their old stuff more.)

Snow Patrol

Evanescence (Even though I have 3 of their CDs, they aren't as good as people say. They are good but... Jeez.)

Eminem is a genius. I also love Muse, and Evanescence. but I agree with the rest :)

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge