Spears don't work with new rings?

Lep

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Confirmed spear doesn't work with melee class rings.

From RuneScape's Facebook Page:

Hey guys,

The Recent Update FAQ are a bunch of the most frequently asked questions from the players about our latest update, answered by the developers who made the update. This week's update was a Dungeoneering Update so naturally you all had questions about Daemonheim and the new wonders unveiled this week. The developers who helped answer your questions this week were Mod Mark, Mod Liono, Mod Chris L and Mod Trick!

To view the FAQ in full on the forums, and discuss this week's update, check our Recent Update forum.

"Why are class rings members only? Will ring upgrades ever be available in F2P?"

The majority of our game updates focus on the members game, this is no exception. We have no plans to make this F2P.

"If you upgrade the 'Tactician' part of the ring, can you only make use of this class by fighting in an 'accurate style'?"

Yes, you have to be in accurate. You have to be in aggressive stance to utilise the berserker class.

"What is the reasoning behind making the cost of tier 8 - tier 10 class purchases jump up greatly in cost when the lesser tiers are more affordable?"

We feel that players able to wear rings of those levels have a far greater capacity to earn tokens via the skill, therefore the price increases.

Thanks to Mod Emilee for gathering all of the questions and getting the answers!

Mod Timbo

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

i realy dont see how flameburst + hailstorm is that good

The combo ignores defense, and procs bonus damage like crazy. Downside is low base damage though.

If I were in it's level range, I'd certainly go for the set.

wait a sec ur telling me it ignores def entirely? dear god.....

also confirmed by the #1 rs player, zerker does work on spears and he does notice his 1.2x dmg upgrade on his spear

learned a few great tricks from the guy, best way to solo ferret, how to solo a lvl 500 shadow forger, how to do a 5 man lever set with 4 people hes pretty good but not as fast as some guys ive heard about, castle wars was still fastest key runner ive played with

I'm interested in the level 500 Shadow forger Solo :unsure:

As for the rings, well, I've got my ring set on Blazer (which is actually quiet amazing for those large dungeons where you find a ton of High level zombies and warriors), and switching the ring is just too much of a hassle to take the time to do, so I'll keep my spear unless they make ring switching faster, in which case, I'll ask one of the math guys here to prove which one is better for me (lazy :rolleyes: )

One (really long) way to solo it is to run it with turm + super melee pot and hit it once and then teleport out. Repeat until it is dead.

td2sig.jpg

I can understand the usefulness of a shadow silk hood during the exploring of the dungeon but it doesnt help a lot during a boss fight .. so I assume it's mainly used by rushers ?

It's great for rushing the first 20-25 floors. Just the same, in team games (at least the ones I play with high total lvl players) you get so many ore spawns that you can easy smith a full set of armour. It's also nice to be able to ninja a decent number of rooms to collect keys, resources, and the like. I'm just currently concerned as to which weapon is now the weapon of choice. Prom spear (p++), Prom 2h, Primal rapier.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

perhaps a brave soul could.....test it!

do about 100 hits, see the max, lets say its 347

do 100 hits with berserker in us, lets say the max was 388....woohoo it works

That's an absolutely pitiful sample size.

Now if someone could try a few thousand hits between each, and calc the average in their heads, I could see it...

Edit: Or I could just wait for a serious confirmation either way (if it's true it only works in aggressive stance they'll definitely change the tooltip).

are you kidding me? your telling me that if your max hit is say...400 then after 100 hits youll have never hit within 20% of your max? thats just not possible to have 100 hits all under 320 with ur max at 400

i could come withing 20% of my max in 5-10 hits

its just not hard to tell if your dmg went up by 20%, 10 hits would be a big enough sample size to determine and increase in higher max dmg

also you dont have to calc the average, that doesnt matter to test if it works or not, just testing the max is all you need

a_final_name.png

i realy dont see how flameburst + hailstorm is that good

The combo ignores defense, and procs bonus damage like crazy. Downside is low base damage though.

If I were in it's level range, I'd certainly go for the set.

wait a sec ur telling me it ignores def entirely? dear god.....

also confirmed by the #1 rs player, zerker does work on spears and he does notice his 1.2x dmg upgrade on his spear

learned a few great tricks from the guy, best way to solo ferret, how to solo a lvl 500 shadow forger, how to do a 5 man lever set with 4 people hes pretty good but not as fast as some guys ive heard about, castle wars was still fastest key runner ive played with

For those who don't already know you can easily get past the hunter ferret room. Just stay along the edges of the room so you don't get the ferret to start running. Make your way to the doors and they will open and you will be able to always use them as long as no one runs through the middle of the room "activating" the ferret. Edit: as someone else said and I just found out from my dungeon this has been fixed :(

You can also complete a 5 man lever with 4 people. You just need to have the person in the corner with the 2 closest levers do both of them. Usually most people count and everyone goes on say 3 or 1. Just have the person who has to pull two levers go on 2 and then everyone else still go on 3 or 1. Also the person who is pulling 2 needs to spam click the 2nd lever to make sure there is no delay running to it. It might take a few tries if you are new to doing it but I have done it many times.

As for solo-ing a lvl 500 shadow forger I have no idea but doubt i will ever need to know how to do this one.

On-Topic: I haven't been using a spear for a while because it got boring have the same weapon all the time so now i use a primal rapier and primal gauntlets. Although If i get get my hands on a hood i would bind it in a heartbeat and then probably switch to a 2h since when you are with a group of people someone will probabbly have the attack style that you dont to make up for it.

For those who don't already know you can easily get past the hunter ferret room. Just stay along the edges of the room so you don't get the ferret to start running. Make your way to the doors and they will open and you will be able to always use them as long as no one runs through the middle of the room "activating" the ferret.

That's been fixed (or the team I was with glitched twice in one night)

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Now if someone could try a few thousand hits between each, and calc the average in their heads, I could see it...

Edit: Or I could just wait for a serious confirmation either way (if it's true it only works in aggressive stance they'll definitely change the tooltip).

are you kidding me? your telling me that if your max hit is say...400 then after 100 hits youll have never hit within 20% of your max? thats just not possible to have 100 hits all under 320 with ur max at 400

its just not hard to tell if your dmg went up by 20%, 10 hits would be a big enough sample size to determine and increase in higher max dmg

also you dont have to calc the average, that doesnt matter to test if it works or not, just testing the max is all you need

That's right. All you need to do is enter your str bonus into the max hit calc (and don't equip any other str boosting items like promethium gloves or use any pots/prayers). Then turn on Berserker. If you ever hit higher, you know it works.

Next time I go down there, I'll test it. I have level 5 or 6 Berserker and a prom spear p++.

I'll just stick w/ my spear and pretend the melee rings don't exist so this doesn't bother me :)

wise words.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I switched to a Prom 2h, and I'm really liking it so far. I feel like I hit a lot more with it. It totally rapes shades, which is a big selling point for me.

Does the extra strength justify loosing two speed ticks?

I can't think of the last time I hit a 0 on a shade with my spear using the slash style, they're just so weak to it where accuracy doesn't matter a lot (which is actually how a lot of the monsters in dungeoneering are)

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I switched to a Prom 2h, and I'm really liking it so far. I feel like I hit a lot more with it. It totally rapes shades, which is a big selling point for me.

Does the extra strength justify loosing two speed ticks?

I can't think of the last time I hit a 0 on a shade with my spear using the slash style, they're just so weak to it where accuracy doesn't matter a lot (which is actually how a lot of the monsters in dungeoneering are)

2hs are one tick faster in Daemonheim, so the speed loss isn't too noticeable.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Destroyed my Prom Spear (p++) and opted to switch and bind a Promethium 2H my friend smithed for me. Liking it so far, the extra slash bonus really helps out at mysterious shades and the like. Also just as a random side note I've been getting lucky on bosses and usually get all the primal drops >_> Really want the last of the Primal gears to come out so I can bind a Primal 2H and Primal Platebody :shock:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

That's right. All you need to do is enter your str bonus into the max hit calc (and don't equip any other str boosting items like promethium gloves or use any pots/prayers). Then turn on Berserker. If you ever hit higher, you know it works.

Next time I go down there, I'll test it. I have level 5 or 6 Berserker and a prom spear p++.

Without any other str boosters, max with prom spear is 344, and I never seem to hit higher than that.

So I guess that confirms for sure that you must be in aggressive.

P2h is really good because you can use both berserker and tactician and it has great stats too.

just get tier 8+ berserker and tactician upgrades and you'll love your new weapon.

Slightly off-topic, but should I bind a Celestial Catalytic Staff in place of my Ninja Hood (sorry I forget its real name)? It gives a 30% magic boost, which means fire surge could hit near 600's with the new rings. It has my interest, but I felt I should ask the opinions of others first.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Slightly off-topic, but should I bind a Celestial Catalytic Staff in place of my Ninja Hood (sorry I forget its real name)? It gives a 30% magic boost, which means fire surge could hit near 600's with the new rings. It has my interest, but I felt I should ask the opinions of others first.

nah, the+5 or 10% boost won't be noticeable.

you'd probably be best off just making an air staff at the beginning of each map.

The time you save not having to make air runes probably outweighs the damage boost.

anyways the shadow silk hood is just beastly.

Naaxi.png