Spears don't work with new rings?

Lep

I'll probably switch to the Prom 2h now, as it's apparently what some pros use anyway.

Eh, I might as well do that seeing as how when I actually try to get a hailstorm dagger, I can't, but when I'm just casually training, they pop up like crazy. Also, I've only ever had one flameburst defender in my whole dungeoneering career from 1-81 dunj. Now I just need to find someone with high enough smithing that can help me out.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the berzerker does not work with spear? good thing i only got it to t1 :thumbdown:

anyway, as for no spear options. although yes its anoying, this is a good thing. d'nearing is ment to be balanced to perfection, last thing it neads is a strong, all-use melee weapon *cough rune scimy cough*

one simply has a trade-off between the jack of all trades, king on none. or king of some trades, fail at the others.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

Apparently two of the magic rings don't work at all either

Only the Blaster Ring doesn't work.

I have both Level 5 Blazer and Blitzer and they work very well. Blazer works in the same manner as Morrigan's Javelin's special, while Blitzer will make Magic have attack speed equivalent of Rapier.

Because often if you choose a "role" you get more variety in a game.

Ie someone plays a tank and takes the stufff for that.. Another person plays as DPS, another as nuke, and someone as support..

Would give much more tactic to dungeoneering and runescape as a whole

What about those who solo? I'd still like a bonus (without going around searching for potion ingredients) with my spear.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

i realy dont see how flameburst + hailstorm is that good

The combo ignores defense, and procs bonus damage like crazy. Downside is low base damage though.

If I were in it's level range, I'd certainly go for the set.

The combo ignores defense, and procs bonus damage like crazy. Downside is low base damage though.

wait a sec ur telling me it ignores def entirely? dear god.....

also confirmed by the #1 rs player, zerker does work on spears and he does notice his 1.2x dmg upgrade on his spear

learned a few great tricks from the guy, best way to solo ferret, how to solo a lvl 500 shadow forger, how to do a 5 man lever set with 4 people hes pretty good but not as fast as some guys ive heard about, castle wars was still fastest key runner ive played with

a_final_name.png

I can't find anything on wikia, knowledge base, Tip.it, Zybez or Rune HQ ...

Anyways

With 90 Strength:

* Hailstorm dagger + Flameburst Defender + level 7 Berserker and Aggressive stance is 114.58 dps (the effect is 20% 100 damage, so I added +20% damage for the averaging)

* Promethium Spear is 105.00 dps

With 99 Strength:

* Hailstorm dagger + Flameburst Defender + level 7 Berserker and Aggressive stance is 124.17 dps (the effect is 20% 100 damage, so I added +20% damage for the averaging)

* Promethium Spear is 114.67 dps

Based on Tip.it's Max Hit Calculator

IF the combo ignores the def (def skill or def stats ?) It is kind'a better BUT you lose 1 spot (most likely a promethium armor ... so in terms of def I'd say the spear wins)

also confirmed by the #1 rs player, zerker does work on spears and he does notice his 1.2x dmg upgrade on his spear

There's no real way to know this.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the sticky was wrong and berserker does work despite stances, but any accounts of spear dps (especially considering the recentness of the update) are highly anecdotal. No matter how good the player.

perhaps a brave soul could.....test it!

do about 100 hits, see the max, lets say its 347

do 100 hits with berserker in us, lets say the max was 388....woohoo it works

That's an absolutely pitiful sample size.

Now if someone could try a few thousand hits between each, and calc the average in their heads, I could see it...

Edit: Or I could just wait for a serious confirmation either way (if it's true it only works in aggressive stance they'll definitely change the tooltip).

I am still waiting for a confirmation about the dagger defender combo

EDIT: Btw I am testing the spear on Stomp (the perfect boss :P) and for now there are no signs of +17% damage on neither stab and crush.

EDIT 2: I can safely say that it doesn't work on spears =/

learned a few great tricks from the guy, best way to solo ferret, how to solo a lvl 500 shadow forger, how to do a 5 man lever set with 4 people hes pretty good but not as fast as some guys ive heard about, castle wars was still fastest key runner ive played with

Care to share some of those tips? :lol:

cgknightofroundsorigina.jpg

99 Hits, Attack, Strength, Defence, Mage, Summoning, Slayer, Ranged, 96/99 Prayer

Sorry, heard something about it on the chat.

Well, I'll pick up a hailstorm dagger should I ever find one, forgot there was a second level of the set.

If the dagger had better attack stats (the strength bonus is more then enough).

The Frostbite dagger has a -10 max damage + 10% accuracy if you have the defender ...

It kind of makes sense not to have the rings work with spears as they are meant to be diverse weapons for all occasions, and you'd need to switch attack styles constantly anyway. If anyone looked at the pictures of how the ring classes worked before the update it was clear a shield is needed for tank, accurate style for precision and agressive mode for berserker, just like you need 3 different styles for ranged.

For everyone suggesting the hailstorm+flameburst combo would be best now...what about primal rapier? it has both accurate and aggressive modes including a slash option, 30 more stab, 30 more strength compared to the +40 damage(0,5*100 minus 10) +10% accuracy that combo gives without having one extra bind. I just can't see how this new combo would be better, unless there is something not written about i've yet to see.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Jagex should have been clear about this, it's hardly something to be ashamed of. It's removed the spear from the status as 'best all around melee weapon', which has made the already impressively balanced skill more balanced.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Jagex should have been clear about this, it's hardly something to be ashamed of. It's removed the spear from the status as 'best all around melee weapon', which has made the already impressively balanced skill more balanced.

Yo dawg I herd u liek balance so I balanced ur balance so you can balance while you balance

I'm guessing rapier isn't the best because of its low accuracy. Most monsters have high defense so you need good accuracy.

I'm thinking Prom BAxe is a viable option - it's same speed and almost same strength bonus as spear, is 1 handed, and has crush and slash attacks.

Hailstorm + defender is terrible just because of the fact that you have to unbind your hood. Even if you have 3 binds, the other bind should be melee plate or range body.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Jagex should have been more clear about it.

I mean, how would one know that it's only when you use aggressive style when it says "when calculating strength"?

Anyway. I'm sticking to my spear and go with gatherer all the time.

I just tested out my t7 tactician and berserker over one small and one med solo dungeon killing all monsters with primal rapier and....

Tactician didn't seem too impressive as the accuracy increase wasn't immediately noticeable, but most likely it's still useful to use, max nat damage i was able to hit was 289.

Berserker with aggressive stab was much more noticeably good, i used it for a very short while and was able to deal 340 damage max.

Berserker with aggressive slash was as impressive for things weak to slash(like zombies) dealing multiple 330+, max being 337, but i used it for a very short while.

Berserker with accurate stab seemed just like normal primal rapier, just not accurate enough, and no impressive hits, max i got was 293 over a very big scale of monsters(most of the solo med).

This data can't be taken as 100% truth, but most likely berserker works with only aggressive modes, and rapier has two of them(both stab and slash).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

I'm interested in the level 500 Shadow forger Solo :unsure:

As for the rings, well, I've got my ring set on Blazer (which is actually quiet amazing for those large dungeons where you find a ton of High level zombies and warriors), and switching the ring is just too much of a hassle to take the time to do, so I'll keep my spear unless they make ring switching faster, in which case, I'll ask one of the math guys here to prove which one is better for me (lazy :rolleyes: )

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png