Tip.It Times - 1st August 2010

Racheya

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pointed in here, so why not read the articles while im here. :P

Both articles make valid points in my opinion, and I can feel Rach's frustration with the events the past week(s).

Let me start off with, I do like BTS. It wasnt a happy day when it got removed, but I adapted to the twitter hints which quickly took the BTS's place for me, even though it gave very little information.

Then the BTS came back, it did light up my day a bit, il admit to that. And then we had this past TT update and all the stuff that hangs around that. I do get it how people get fed up with all the ranting about no updates, but I do see why people rant as well. In the end though, you just have to remember that Jagex want to get the update out as much as we want it. The TT Update was probably the most anticipated update of July, as not everyone likes quests or dungeoneering. Clues are really univeral in that sence, they are like short quests and have the potential of great rewards. I love both of those things, though adding a little story to clue scrolls wouldnt hurt if you ask me. :P

Moving on to the other article, i do agree it would be nice if everyone was nice. I dont really agree with the "Move to the side for slayer's if your camping" thing though. To me, its more of a first come, first serve idea. If I get a dust devil task, i would head to the chaos tunnels. If its full, il change worlds, if there are enough to go around il stick around untill it gets too crowded. Never expect people to world hop because you were there first though. I ask nicely if they can change worlds as I was there first. If they will, then thats nice of them. If they wont, then you can stay there, fighting them for kills, or you can change worlds and most likely get better experience.

To the cannon thing, it comes down to the task to be honest. I was going to be nice once and find an empty lighthouse world. I hopped through EVERY members world, and there were atleast 2 people on every world when I was there. Even if you have good intentions, its not always possible to be nice. Im not going to go out of the way and slay dagg's 1 on 1 just because others are there. Its one of the few tasks where being polite isnt an option when cannoning.

Anyway, il end my wall of text here. Thanks for reading my ramble if anyone did. :P

Moving on to the other article, i do agree it would be nice if everyone was nice. I dont really agree with the "Move to the side for slayer's if your camping" thing though. To me, its more of a first come, first serve idea. If I get a dust devil task, i would head to the chaos tunnels. If its full, il change worlds, if there are enough to go around il stick around untill it gets too crowded. Never expect people to world hop because you were there first though. I ask nicely if they can change worlds as I was there first. If they will, then thats nice of them. If they wont, then you can stay there, fighting them for kills, or you can change worlds and most likely get better experience.

To the cannon thing, it comes down to the task to be honest. I was going to be nice once and find an empty lighthouse world. I hopped through EVERY members world, and there were atleast 2 people on every world when I was there. Even if you have good intentions, its not always possible to be nice. Im not going to go out of the way and slay dagg's 1 on 1 just because others are there. Its one of the few tasks where being polite isnt an option when cannoning.

Overcrowding of slayers monsters has been a problem since day 1 I would dare to say.

Bad game mechanics are at the root of it. They should simply have made more slayer monster areas or increased respawn times.

It's a litlle better now, however it does seem as if more people are slaying than ever before so it's still crowded unless at off-peak hours.

As to the first article a certain R lost my respect a long time ago. They always apologize for jagex and they have low stat's. Of course they have thousands of hours of content left to play as they probably spend more time on forums than in game so could care less about updates.

On the other hand that type of casual player who loves jagex unconditionally is probably who jagex is catering to atm anyhow.

Let's all be grateful for one update a year.

Hold up. I feel this discussion is going in circles. Obviously everybody has their own opinions and it seems here that nobody is going to budge on the matter. But that is perfectly alright, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

First of all, the Tip.It Times is authored by our Editorial Panel. What is written by the Editorial Panel is therefore the opinion of the individual author and their views do not reflect those of the owner, the administration nor Tip.it as a whole. What this essentially means is that the times is the perfect place to voice opinions on current RuneScape events as this article does. The Panel encourages discussion and debate (but not flaming and personal attacks..) and therefore there will always be some topics which are more controversial than others. That should be a given. People writing for an editorial paper don't say what they think everybody would like to hear - they say exactly what they think. This promotes discussion and debate.

The article published this week by Racheya is about a current event and I feel it was a perfect topic for the times this week. Many valid points were raised in the article. After reading the article, you know exactly what the author's viewpoint on the matter is and some of you disagree with it. That is exactly what the Times is about. Opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own and everyone is entitled to voice their opinions in an article. This is not the first article to upset anyone and it will certainly not be the last. When we're talking opinions, where there is no right or wrong answer, it is impossible to hit a topic everyone agrees with. Such a topic just does not exist.

However, it is obvious some bits of the article come off in a condescending nature. There is no denying this. I'm sure the author would agree that had these bits been worded better it would have improved the article. But the article has already been published. You don't see top newspapers editing their stories because they were raising controversy. And therefore I see no reason why Tip.It would modify or edit the article because of some controversy raised by it, except in the case of legal issues. The Panel stands by the article, condescending or not, because that is what the panel believes in - Debate and Discussion. Could have been written differently, but the fact is it was not and it would show that the panel does not take pride in their publications if they were to edit or remove articles because of a little bit of controversy. The Panel fully recognizes that it may not have been the best worded article, but what exactly can be done about it?

Finally, some of you are persistent that the author was directing this article towards a specific group of players. Although in this case that is absolutely false (the article was written prior to posts made by the author on any topics on the matter), I fail to see what is wrong with this. If someone delivers a speech that you totally disagree with and you write a very one sided article against it, what is the problem there? That is exactly what an editorial is. And that is exactly what this article is. The strong opinions of the author on a matter that disgusts them. This leaves a wide space for someone to step up with a counterarticle on the subject presenting the other side of the matter, perhaps as strongly opinionated as this one is.

In conclusion, there is absolutely no way we can say articles like this will never surface again. Why would we obstruct someone's opinions on a valid topic of discussion well within what is appropriate on our website?

Perhaps this will ease some of your concerns, maybe it will fuel them. But this is exactly where the Panel stands on this matter and this is exactly how the Administration feels on the matter. Disagree if you want. It's your opinion, no?

Cowman_133

Tip.It Administrator

1.png
generic_signature.png

As to the first article a certain R lost my respect a long time ago. They always apologize for jagex and they have low stat's. Of course they have thousands of hours of content left to play as they probably spend more time on forums than in game so could care less about updates.

So you can't have a valid opinion about Runescape content if you are in the majority of players who aren't maxed out in everything? Bad opinion is bad. The sooner you realize that game developers don't cater to 5% of their playerbase the sooner you will stop being an elitist moron.

I've been playing since '03 and I'm not even close to any 99. That's called having balance, and playing other games besides Runescape. The majority of players are like me, whether you choose to believe it or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand that type of casual player who loves jagex unconditionally is probably who jagex is catering to atm anyhow.

How about we don't bash individual authors and instead debate the content of their articles?

Thanks.

1.png
generic_signature.png

That's a little bit difficult when the author seems to be bashing a certain group of players in her article. Just sayin'...

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

what happend to the days when experienced scapers such as RSw44 or TS Stormage actually written something interesting with good insight? >.>

They moved on, Im sure Rsw44 AND Stormage have written something bad before, so over the fanboy-ism over Rsw44. (I had to deal with it back in Lightning's Chat, It really pushed my patience) <.<

I'll admit im a little upset over the TT delay (even though I wont get anything, our more rich players will horde it) but what I am glad is that they're remembered "Oh wait, we have players still using old PC systems!" and are aiming to fix the problems before it gets released and all hell breaks. literally.

as for article 2, I dunno about shortage on spots, but usually the only place I have a problem with finding a good place is Dagonnoth, everything else I've been able to slay easily without the typical "Egocentric 130+ demanding he has priority because his stats are higher" bullcrap.

Popoto.~<3

They moved on, Im sure Rsw44 AND Stormage have written something bad before, so over the fanboy-ism over Rsw44. (I had to deal with it back in Lightning's Chat, It really pushed my patience) <.<

I know I've said this before, but I never understood the Rsw44 obsession. I still picture the kid who used to rate people 2/10 on the Rate This! forum because they didn't have 99 Smithing every time I see his name hahaha.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

what happend to the days when experienced scapers such as RSw44 or TS Stormage actually written something interesting with good insight? >.>

They moved on

I'm still here, thank you very much (I think I'm actually the longest serving author)...

And I'd like to believe my articles are getting better on average since the day I started 2 and a half years ago...

But yea, I had a few misfires (I can think of only one), its only natural and to be expected when you've been writing this long...

Your point?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I was trying NOT to make it into an Argument, my point is writers aren't always going to make the best columns for people, and that they shouldn't be judged against other writers for it. if that clears it up.

Popoto.~<3

You don't see top newspapers editing their stories because they were raising controversy. And therefore I see no reason why Tip.It would modify or edit the article because of some controversy raised by it, except in the case of legal issues

Actually they do... there are stringent editorial controls about what can or cannot be said so we see much less of it in top newspapers.

Also after the fact some authors have issued apologies or retracted their comments or set the facts straight if they were wrong.

In this situation it's very mild so none of that is needed. Everyone will forget about this article by next week.

I've been able to slay easily without the typical "Egocentric 130+ demanding he has priority because his stats are higher" bullcrap.

Oh trust me, they are out there. :P I'd say they are most common in european/US peaktimes however.

You don't see top newspapers editing their stories because they were raising controversy. And therefore I see no reason why Tip.It would modify or edit the article because of some controversy raised by it, except in the case of legal issues

Actually they do... there are stringent editorial controls about what can or cannot be said so we see much less of it in top newspapers.

Also after the fact some authors have issued apologies or retracted their comments or set the facts straight if they were wrong.

Right but I'm talking after publication here. Yes the authors can issue apologies, retract comments and set facts straight, but they can't go back and edit their published article.

1.png
generic_signature.png

Okay well I don't intend to respond to individual posts since it would take forever to do so.

Just know that the article wasn't an attack on any individual users. It wasn't written with anyone specific in mind. If my comments in the forum thread regarding this are similar to ones in the article it's because I wrote the article just before I started replying to the topic.

I am sorry if people feel directly offended by my article. It was written as an opinion piece and in retrospect could have been a bit less harsh, however that wasn't the case. The article was published as it was, there was no suggestion of 'toning it down' when being edited so I can't say that I expected this sort of reaction.

Again, it wasn't an attempt to attack certain groups or users, it was an expression of how annoyed myself (and other players) have been with the reaction to the BTS.

I'm taking this as a learning experience. I haven't been writing for a very long time and since I'm not a long playing or high leveled player, I don't have either a historic or particularly experienced view of Runescape. All I can write is my opinions as a rather average player. However, I am going to be considering writing less opinionated pieces in the future. :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Okay well I don't intend to respond to individual posts since it would take forever to do so.

Just know that the article wasn't an attack on any individual users. It wasn't written with anyone specific in mind. If my comments in the forum thread regarding this are similar to ones in the article it's because I wrote the article just before I started replying to the topic.

I am sorry if people feel directly offended by my article. It was written as an opinion piece and in retrospect could have been a bit less harsh, however that wasn't the case. The article was published as it was, there was no suggestion of 'toning it down' when being edited so I can't say that I expected this sort of reaction.

Again, it wasn't an attempt to attack certain groups or users, it was an expression of how annoyed myself (and other players) have been with the reaction to the BTS.

I'm taking this as a learning experience. I haven't been writing for a very long time and since I'm not a long playing or high leveled player, I don't have either a historic or particularly experienced view of Runescape. All I can write is my opinions as a rather average player. However, I am going to be considering writing less opinionated pieces in the future. :)

That's all that I could ask for. Arguments retracted.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

I was trying NOT to make it into an Argument, my point is writers aren't always going to make the best columns for people, and that they shouldn't be judged against other writers for it. if that clears it up.

It does... Thanks :)

And yeah, you're right... As said, I too had a few misfires, but I'd like to think that other articles I wrote make up for that, and that the same goes for the other writers... If not, then if it concerns me, I'd like to know about it :)

Don't let that praise go to your head now, silly ns. :razz:

Any further than it already has? Impossible :P

Btw, get your ass into the channel sometime soon? :)

Also somethign I'd like to clarify:

The editorial panel is not gagged by anyone or anything. I can submit whatever I like to be published, and if I dont directly insult people in some way shape or form, it gets published for you to read... Last article I wrote on botting, and I added a disclaimer "just in case"... But its not needed...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Agree with maul. It should have been better expressed who the article was directed at, qualifiers added etc, but at least you now know.

My former answers to her article still stand, however it is good to know that the article was written in ignorance instead of intentionally used as a vendetta.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

\However, I am going to be considering writing less opinionated pieces in the future. :)

I disagree. An editorial is supposed to be opinionated. That's the point of it. The complaints here are because it was perceived as demeaning and insulting, not because it was too opinionated.

This is a paragraph I specifically had a problem with:

Yet, the people complained and cried. There was outrage and fury. Jagex had promised the new Treasure Trails! How dare they postpone it for a week! They promised it! Its not faaaaair! I have to make do with the thousands of hours of content already in game now! How on Earth am I supposed to entertain myself if I dont have shiny new things to click every week?! We pay, we say!

The above paragraph belittles any opposing view in a childish, mocking tone. IMO, it only serves to bring the level of the discussion down, if not discourage it all together.

However, looking over it again, and knowing our past history, I don't believe you were trying to attack anybody. I concede that you were simply conveying your frustrations, but it came through in the wrong way. At best it still serves as a distraction, and only harms the purpose of your article.

I want to echo troacctid's sentiments. Please don't steer away from opinionated pieces or controversial topics. I apologize for my own comments, especially if they went beyond the scope of the article. I worked beside you and never had a problem with you. You've always been bright, fun, and polite. And I do know your commitment to the Times. You are a true fan of Runescape and Tip.It, and while others are seeing that as an opportunity to attack you, those are all +'s, especially for someone in your position.

rssig2.png

The first article, contrary to popular opinion on here, is actually excellent as far as I'm concerned. Engaging writing style, clear and concise opinion. The use of sarcasm only emphasises the peurile nature of those who complain about updates being delayed, and in actual fact suits the topic quite well.

My only problem is the lack of an original opinion. It's not really good enough to say the people who whine are wrong, regardless of whether I as a reader agree with you. I want to know why you think they're wrong. Give a little explanation into the psyche of the people you're opposed to, and point out their flaws.

Personally, I think the real issue here is that BTS raises anticipation to obscene levels unnecessarily, in a community where 'promises' of future personal development are toxic and should be handed out with extreme caution. RuneScape, despite ironically being called an MMORPG, remains a very "me me me" game. Minigames are played largely for personal gain (BA for torso, SC for tools, Dungeoneering for skill rewards, and so on), not communal fun. Whole boards on fansites, Tip.It included, are dedicated to RuneScape players who want to brag ostentatiously about their own supposedly incredible achievements. Apart from leading to a community of "1-upers", it's comprised of people who have no real empathy for their fellow counterparts, unless those counterparts are useful for their own means, least of all whether some other person thousands of miles away using an old-end processor will struggle to play the game. Selfishly, they only want their new, overloaded TT weapon *now*. Hence, when that has to be delayed so everyone can enjoy the new TTs, those who only care about themselves kick off, and start talking drivel about false 'promises' and supposed 'rights' they hold against Jagex.

It actually reminds me of Veruca Salt in the squirrel room. I frankly think it's a group of Ms. Salts you've offended here.

Second article is pointless. Sure I'll hop worlds if something is full when it rarely ever is, but a lot of things are so packed I have no choice. Like the greater demons in Kuradal's dungeon. I can kill those suckers so fast with extremes turmoil and claws that I can kill most spawns in the entire room before the first one comes back. Consequently, when I arrive on the scene, others tend to leave in very short order... :mellow:

Concerning the article on slayer etiquette, I lost that aspect in the last year or so.

People on tip.it are telling me to play my game and ignore bots and such. So I play my game and bully out anyone that dares enter the training spot I'm using. Sometimes it works quickly, sometimes I feel like I have a 2nd familiar that finishes my half kill and sometimes I have to hop because I can't win.

I'm usually friendly until you lessen my kill rates...

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563