Tip.It Times - 29th August 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

first :D

EDIT:

Read first article. In fullscreen mode, you're able to hide the chatbox, so if its chatbox spam that you don't want, you can do that.

I honestly can't think of a more than two situations where I'd want to have everyone silenced - one is where I'm forming a team for dungeoneering, and the other is when I'm trying to have an obscure trade outside the GE.

But even if you have 5 player mods, the chat moves slow enough that you can still grab the trades.

EDIT2:

Read second article. Where these written to foster discussion or make a point :blink:

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Racheya, just wanted to thank you for all the Tip.It Times, loved them forever. In fact they are the main reason I got into Tip.It over other fan sites. Okay, I'll stop being a fan-girl.

On these articles, I don't see many moderators either way so I guess it's hard to form an opinion on that article. On the second, I never thought to check the adventure log of crashers who claim to get an awesome drop. Good idea there and I'm sure to use it in the future. A short but refreshingly interesting read, diversity in this care is a lot better then detail.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

As for the first article, it is annoying when a moderator spams their wares, but I am usually clicked to the clan tab, so doesn't hurt me much. Just wish it wasn't by default that they talked over filters, If the player mods had a choice in the matter, I might be able to feel angry about them then.

On the second, especially quick chat, it was never that hard to check in the first place if levels were so high. Any level high enough you should care about should be in the highscores. Might be a little bit lower than what they said, but never more than six hours worth of grinding. As for people getting rare drops, I still get no end of people spamming trade requests to show me that dragon med helm they got, even though all they'd have to say for me to believe them is that they did get one.

Read them both. The moderator one I didn't care for at the start, but when it mentioned the spam that you see from moderators, I was interested. Time and time again I become annoyed with player moderators who are advertising even when your chat is on hide and you're trying to walk around W2 looking for good deals while keeping track of your clan chat. However, I do agree that there are still moderators who do exactly what they are given the ability to do.. moderate. However, these moderators are coincidentally the older ones who were screened back when Jagex based a moderator rank upon a mature and trustworthy player more than their new screening process.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

EDIT2:

Read second article. Where these written to foster discussion or make a point :blink:

I wrote it not only to state my point (that I am against it) but also to make people think about the fact that it doesn't really change anything in the end. In regards to bragging, you might get a "grats" or something similar... you'll probably also look like a fool to those who know you're full of hot air... or you might get utmost respect from someone who doesn't know better. Is it worth it to have fake friends on a video game?

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

I had the discussion about player moderators before and I really doubt Jagex put much effort into chosing them. On Jagex's website you read this:

The first Player Moderators (PMods) were introduced to RuneScape in June 2004, and Jagex has never looked back. Player Moderators are champions of the community.

The truth is, player moderators being champions of anything is a plain myth. No offence to any player moderators around here, but I'm yet to see how most player moderators are better than most players. Obviously when you're given a silver crown you gain more confidence and go around speaking in posh language to brag off, but how does that make you a superior being? I don't think Jagex puts as much effort as they claim into chosing moderators, there's thousands of them, they probably just have an automated program selecting players with clean accounts for them, and all they do is pick and chose. How am I so sure? Because I've known some player moderators personally, and when I ask them how they got that crown they don't even know it themselves. One of them barely bothered with reporting people (that's his words, not mines). In the other hand I've known people who had talent at leading and getting heard, and who are nice, yet haven't been chosen as player moderators (and there are loads of these, really). I don't think the whole player moderator system is needed, we have the ignore and report options for a reason, and on top of that this system is putting power in the hands of people who aren't necessarily able to handle it correctly.

Second post, didn't really like it, not an interesting read in my opinion. Besides the part where he boasts out his wealth, and then ironically bashes on people who boast, didn't retain most of the read.

signaturemw.png

The truth is, player moderators being champions of anything is a plain myth. No offence to any player moderators around here, but I'm yet to see how most player moderators are better than most players.

I think you're confused by the use of "champion" here.

cham·pi·on

   /ˈtʃæmpiən/ [cham-pee-uhn]

–noun

1. a person who has defeated all opponents in a competition or series of competitions, so as to hold first place: the heavyweight boxing champion.

2. anything that takes first place in competition: the champion of a cattle show.

3. an animal that has won a certain number of points in officially recognized shows: This dog is a champion.

4. a person who fights for or defends any person or cause: a champion of the oppressed.

5. a fighter or warrior.

It's not saying Pmods are the best.

The truth is, player moderators being champions of anything is a plain myth. No offence to any player moderators around here, but I'm yet to see how most player moderators are better than most players.

I think you're confused by the use of "champion" here.

cham·pi·on

   /ˈtʃæmpiən/ [cham-pee-uhn]

–noun

1. a person who has defeated all opponents in a competition or series of competitions, so as to hold first place: the heavyweight boxing champion.

2. anything that takes first place in competition: the champion of a cattle show.

3. an animal that has won a certain number of points in officially recognized shows: This dog is a champion.

4. a person who fights for or defends any person or cause: a champion of the oppressed.

5. a fighter or warrior.

It's not saying Pmods are the best.

The result is the same. Player moderators are still supposed to be an elite group, Jagex speak of them as so. If you'd read the whole thing on the website you'd know:

...but because they have shown themselves to be friendly and community minded, they have been invited by Jagex to be ambassadors of our game while they are playing.

Player Moderators usually play an active role in our game and have the ability to protect the community if it’s needed. They are often the players who organise and attend events, or those who really make a difference to your daily gaming experience. With thousands of Player Moderators in the game, you’re sure to spot one on your travels around Gielinor, so don’t be afraid to say 'hello'.

"Shown themselves to be friendly"? There's thousands of players like that. You play under the impression that most players out there are immature, because the minorities are always the loudest groups.

"Have been invited by Jagex to be ambassadors"? More like, picked and chosen.

"Organise and attend events"? Might as well recruit anyone who posts a thread in the events sections of any community forums. You got the whole TET team here on Tip It you could recruit if things were like this.

"Really make a difference to my daily gaming experience"? Don't get me started. When was the last time a player moderator had any impact on you? Only those who get muted by them get to experience that lol...

And why does Jagex assume we'd be afraid of player moderators? I don't see why I'd be intimidated by them, if they were to abuse of their power on people they'd be the ones losing the most in the end. Also, why do they assume I'd want to say hello? Because it's more important to talk with them than with other players?

It all comes down to opinion, really. I don't wanna convince anyone here about what a player moderator is, but to my experience this just some idea Jagex came up with that in the end only creates more elitism in game.

signaturemw.png

...but because they have shown themselves to be friendly and community minded, they have been invited by Jagex to be ambassadors of our game while they are playing.

Player Moderators usually play an active role in our game and have the ability to protect the community if its needed. They are often the players who organise and attend events, or those who really make a difference to your daily gaming experience. With thousands of Player Moderators in the game, youre sure to spot one on your travels around Gielinor, so dont be afraid to say 'hello'.

"Shown themselves to be friendly"? There's thousands of players like that. You play under the impression that most players out there are immature, because the minorities are always the loudest groups.

"Have been invited by Jagex to be ambassadors"? More like, picked and chosen.

"Organise and attend events"? Might as well recruit anyone who posts a thread in the events sections of any community forums. You got the whole TET team here on Tip It you could recruit if things were like this.

"Really make a difference to my daily gaming experience"? Don't get me started. When was the last time a player moderator had any impact on you? Only those who get muted by them get to experience that lol...

And why does Jagex assume we'd be afraid of player moderators? I don't see why I'd be intimidated by them, if they were to abuse of their power on people they'd be the ones losing the most in the end. Also, why do they assume I'd want to say hello? Because it's more important to talk with them than with other players?

It all comes down to opinion, really. I don't wanna convince anyone here about what a player moderator is, but to my experience this just some idea Jagex came up with that in the end only creates more elitism in game.

All reasonable observations, sure, I guess.

There is a large pool of players who would make good Pmods, but they can't all be mods because Jagex doesn't have enough staff with enough time to thoroughly investigate them all, and with a position of increased power and responsibility, it's better safe than sorry. So for practical concerns, it should be acceptable that many suitable players fall through the cracks.

It's also worth considering that, although they don't talk as much about it, Pmods are also a huge convenience from the Jmods' perspective. It's a group of players that they can rely on to be reasonable, intelligent, and generally not n00bs. I know that if I couldn't log on without being immediately followed by a bajillion players spamming me to bring back wildy pl0x, I'd definitely appreciate having a hand-picked selection of players that I know I can trust not to be n00bs--hence the Pmod's role as a kind of liaison between Jagex and the base by being the part of the base they'll reliably want to liaison with; even though the system doesn't capture all the players it could, from their perspective, it's a lot better than nothing.

That's my take on it anyway.

-A Change in Times, A Shift in Policy?-

It just seems to me likt this person had his/her Public Chat turned to "Off" and got annoyed by two P-Mods having a conversation...

I rarely hang out by the Exchange, and even more rarely do P-Mods show through my chat filter, unless for police work. Yes, P-Mods were set up as a police force, but does that mean they shouldn't ever have a pointless conversation with a friend? Just because a P-Mod says "Just go to Catherby" instead of "Hey, stop doing that!" doesn't mean they should be stripped of their privileges.

On another, semi-related note, the Tip.It Times articles seem to be more people complaining then actual articles, in the last few weeks. =/ The Times used to reflect upon issues in the Community, or controversial updates. The last few Featured Articles have seemed like people getting annoyed in-game, and writing a rant about it...

It's also worth considering that, although they don't talk as much about it, Pmods are also a huge convenience from the Jmods' perspective. It's a group of players that they can rely on to be reasonable, intelligent, and generally not n00bs. I know that if I couldn't log on without being immediately followed by a bajillion players spamming me to bring back wildy pl0x, I'd definitely appreciate having a hand-picked selection of players that I know I can trust not to be n00bs--hence the Pmod's role as a kind of liaison between Jagex and the base by being the part of the base they'll reliably want to liaison with; even though the system doesn't capture all the players it could, from their perspective, it's a lot better than nothing.

And what do these "non noob" players do...

O.O

And what do these "non noob" players do...

Defining "n00b" is not a can of worms I'm particularly interested in opening today. Let's just say they're generally not n00bs.

-A Change in Times, A Shift in Policy?-

It just seems to me likt this person had his/her Public Chat turned to "Off" and got annoyed by two P-Mods having a conversation...

I rarely hang out by the Exchange, and even more rarely do P-Mods show through my chat filter, unless for police work. Yes, P-Mods were set up as a police force, but does that mean they shouldn't ever have a pointless conversation with a friend? Just because a P-Mod says "Just go to Catherby" instead of "Hey, stop doing that!" doesn't mean they should be stripped of their privileges.

On another, semi-related note, the Tip.It Times articles seem to be more people complaining then actual articles, in the last few weeks. =/ The Times used to reflect upon issues in the Community, or controversial updates. The last few Featured Articles have seemed like people getting annoyed in-game, and writing a rant about it...

That's not at all the case, actually. You assumed that articles are rants, when in fact they are addressing the community on a growing issue. I never once said they should be stripped of their privileges, I'm not sure where you got that. I see non-police work chat on a daily basis and the majority of it is ok, but when you get the pmods at dungeoneering, or at the GE advertising certain things and sometimes they show blatant abuse of their privilege to have the edge on advertising. You based your entire argument off of an assumption and obviously lack of play-time.

If you wish to see rants, go to the rants forum and have an example of what real rants are.

I appreciate your one post on the forums being about my article; it's flattering.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

The quality of the articles has decreased largely over the past few months. These two don't seem to change that either. The "Did you know..." is becoming more interesting than the articles.

C1Geq.png

I never once said they should be stripped of their privileges, I'm not sure where you got that.

"Are the new moderators even deserving of the full privileges right after their one-month transition phase to their powers regardless of their role?"

Although I put it pretty bluntly, you are suggesting that new P-Mods not have the ability to post through chat filters. Which is not a bad idea. But for how long, and why bother? Instead of censoring all new P-Mods let the players report them for spamming. There is no reason to restrict access to such a privilege based on a few bad seeds.

You based your entire argument off of an assumption and obviously lack of play-time.

Hardly an assumption. You say that all new P-Mods should not have chat rights, looking past that, issues of who/how to restrict, time/reports necessary to receive those rights, and hundreds of hours wasted by JaGeX on adding new Mods to the game. I've played for a little over two years, 5 or 6 days a week, and I rarely see P-Mods spamming, even at the Exchange. And, as I said above, there is no reason to restrict new Mods based on the few and far between mistakes of some bad seeds.

If you wish to see rants, go to the rants forum and have an example of what real rants are.

True. But comparing Articles written about the Dungeoneering Reward costs, new controversial training methods, etc, and the latest Times articles about P-Mod and general players breaking rules, there is a definite difference. Previous articles focused more on things that could not be changed, and many different viewpoints could be heard. The latest articles focus more on small groups of people that can't really be easily picked out or dealt with.

The quality of the articles has decreased largely over the past few months. These two don't seem to change that either. The "Did you know..." is becoming more interesting than the articles.

I agree that the Did You Knows... are getting better. I've always liked them, but I've known the last few. =/

I never once said they should be stripped of their privileges, I'm not sure where you got that.

"Are the new moderators even deserving of the full privileges right after their one-month transition phase to their powers regardless of their role?"

Although I put it pretty bluntly, you are suggesting that new P-Mods not have the ability to post through chat filters. Which is not a bad idea. But for how long, and why bother? Instead of censoring all new P-Mods let the players report them for spamming. There is no reason to restrict access to such a privilege based on a few bad seeds.

You based your entire argument off of an assumption and obviously lack of play-time.

Hardly an assumption. You say that all new P-Mods should not have chat rights, looking past that, issues of who/how to restrict, time/reports necessary to receive those rights, and hundreds of hours wasted by JaGeX on adding new Mods to the game. I've played for a little over two years, 5 or 6 days a week, and I rarely see P-Mods spamming, even at the Exchange. And, as I said above, there is no reason to restrict new Mods based on the few and far between mistakes of some bad seeds.

True. But comparing Articles written about the Dungeoneering Reward costs, new controversial training methods, etc, and the latest Times articles about P-Mod and general players breaking rules, there is a definite difference. Previous articles focused more on things that could not be changed, and many different viewpoints could be heard. The latest articles focus more on small groups of people that can't really be easily picked out or dealt with.

The article is not about p mods breaking rules when they talk, it's about having to see whatever they say regardless of what it is. With more and more p mods, who are now a lot different than the old policing force, there is now more and more random chatting from p mods and sometimes some abuse of this privilege. It's not necessary to have such a potentially monumental privilege when you do not use it for it's intended purpose. Maybe even give the option to turn it on....?

It's not about bad seeds, it's about the new "brand" of p mods having a completely different attitude and maturity than the older ones. Why bother? Because it's could be simple and benefit both groups. I know a few p mods who wish they could turn the option of showing through off.

Again, it's not about bad seeds as you seem to have thought I was talking about. If you know the basics of the pmod system you'd know Jagex does not do most of the work with new p mods and tend to listen to "mentors" if there are any questions about a certain mod. It's obvious if a p mod will become a community based mod or a policing based mod so they could hand the privilege out accordingly or make it so you have to activate it to use it. It's just not necessary to us all the time, especially when the newer p mods are the talkative type, which can make it harder to trade, recruit, or talk to someone on Public: Friends.

With the change in times you need to change some things when they become unneeded. The older p mods still rarely speak and when they do it has a purpose. The newer p mods speak freely, which is fine, but when it shows through the filters it can become a flood of words.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

What irritates me these days, Is I see players far more deserving of the so called "Police of Runescape" title, not by spamming report abuse, but actually caring what the large population of gamers want. A lot of new player mods I see now days dont even know the rules themselves, and only went out of their way for a crown just for it's appearance and to "appear" high'n'mighty.

tl;dr - In my opinion, Jagex isn't picking wise enough Player Moderators, I could go on but it'd be more of ranting then constructive discussion.

Popoto.~<3

The article is not about p mods breaking rules when they talk, it's about having to see whatever they say regardless of what it is. With more and more p mods, who are now a lot different than the old policing force, there is now more and more random chatting from p mods and sometimes some abuse of this privilege. It's not necessary to have such a potentially monumental privilege when you do not use it for it's intended purpose. Maybe even give the option to turn it on....?

It's not about bad seeds, it's about the new "brand" of p mods having a completely different attitude and maturity than the older ones. Why bother? Because it's could be simple and benefit both groups. I know a few p mods who wish they could turn the option of showing through off.

Again, it's not about bad seeds as you seem to have thought I was talking about. If you know the basics of the pmod system you'd know Jagex does not do most of the work with new p mods and tend to listen to "mentors" if there are any questions about a certain mod. It's obvious if a p mod will become a community based mod or a policing based mod so they could hand the privilege out accordingly or make it so you have to activate it to use it. It's just not necessary to us all the time, especially when the newer p mods are the talkative type, which can make it harder to trade, recruit, or talk to someone on Public: Friends.

With the change in times you need to change some things when they become unneeded. The older p mods still rarely speak and when they do it has a purpose. The newer p mods speak freely, which is fine, but when it shows through the filters it can become a flood of words.

I definitely like the idea of being able to turn the option on or having it taken away by a mentor. But as you said, maturity in new P-Mods is an issue. I do know little of the P-Mod system, and if it is true that JaGeX doesn't spend a ton of time on recruiting new ones, my argument is pretty much pwned. xD

Nice work on persuasion, usually I don't buckle so quickly. I still wish the Times would move back to more content-based articles, though.

Article 1: i admit, it kinda reminded me of a clan chat a while back, Ad Busters, where there would always be plenty of player mods online in the clan chat, and you could simply tell one of them where a auto typer/advertiser was and they would go mute them to help out the community. unfortunately that clan chat is long dead, and i would hope that someone could bring it back.... definitely would help end merch clans that's for sure

Article 2: i really don't see the point of lying to someone about your skill levels and/or what your rating is or what item you got. it really doesn't affect the other player all that much and if a player need teammates, they can always use quickchat to check if they are good enough for being a teammate.

Did you know: THANKS! it made my day seeing that my did you know suggestion made it in. now that's gonna be my sig =)

Did you know...

... that when you click on an object in the Construction Skill guide, the materials needed show up in your chat box? (Thanks to adamantcheses!)

About first article:

Strange that you mention it, but for quite a while I've seen PMods just as a mere distraction to be dealt with. Whenever someone says something through the mighty 'Off' filter, I've instantly add them to the ignore list. Since I rarely use W2 (never since retirement), it works out good. As far as I remember it's more than half PMods there, others are scam merch clan spammers.

About second article:

Bragging is bragging, but when you play since 2001 and someone implies you have started playing a month ago, it is annoying. My only account that had a holiday item (green mask, scythe) is permanently banned (for real), and while I still have a few from RSC times, they are low leveled and the only proof is recoveries set on year 2001 (at least that's what the screen says). So generally, I tend to ignore these failed discussions.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

player mods have never annoyed me ever... i don't ever find a need to shut all my chats off... I have not seen any mods abusing there powers but i have seen and known lots of lazy mods who have become the (I'm the cool mod) who dose not care... Ive been playing for a long time made my reasonable reports and have 0 offenses after my 5 languages were reset and yet i have not been offered to be a mod and i probs will never be just because I'm not community focused and make threads to help or forum events...

on the second topic, its more annoying now days. All drops are no longer rare thx to chaotic weps overloads and turmoil. So when someone screams over a rare drop i don't even give them a gratz. Its pointless to think a 20 mill drop is a lot when you have people with 1000 times more then that and buy the rare item you just got so they can hold there maxed money piles in items instead... then when u ask why do you have so much they simply replies its so you cant have it. thats just my opinion i guess... kinda a half empty glass look but oh well.

PMods, a topic that makes me curious. I personally feel about some PMods being the community based ones, and this has in turn led to a change as Master Smither mentioned. Bringing about both positive and negative impacts, the negative ones are more in our view - those who brag about their status and their behaviour might just seem so immature, that we would not expect of a PMod. Lol.

Rares, what are really rare? It's all in our eyes and perception. I suppose good drops are appreciated, but there's no need to shout and scream? Afterall, getting a good loot doesn't mean you would preserve it well.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...