What other fansites do you commonly use? And how can tip.it expand itself to compete?

jjjon123

214 members have voted

1. 1. Other Than Tip.it, What other fansites do you commonly use?

As others have stated, I would occasionally use other websites (I would try them all to get the info i needed) for quest help. It's not that tip.it doesn't have good guides, but sometimes I would be using a guide and there would just be a gap in information. It could be obvious what you should do, however I will be the first to admit I am not the brightest crayon in the box sometimes.

polarbeardaveyz9.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my two cents for what its worth.

I have used tip.it almost exclusively since I started playing RS. Your calculators are by far the biggest draw for me. I also like browsing the forums and trying to keep up with the stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

I however use RS wiki. As it stands I will not stop using RS wiki as it has info that no other fan site has, if for example I looked up 'mint cake' on tip.it I get very basic info, but RS wiki will tell me almost everything about that item. I realise this may seem trivial, but as an older player, I get as much enjoyment learning about all the history of the game, as I do playing it. While I commend tip.it for being very up to date, sometimes the old stuff is good to see.

BasementJaxx.png

Heh, I'm like the average guy >.<

Tip.It for the Forums (and occasional Times), RsWiki for random information (or trivial information), Zybez for the calculators and Tipit for Google Docs sheets.

Tipit has limited resources in terms of editors, which means a lack of available information. One thing that puts me off Tipit is the layout of the website, really. Not sure what it is about it, but there's this something that makes me want to go to RsWiki more.

The TipIt irc system is too... dead, really. There should be a SwiftIrc channel that allows SwiftKit users to join in.

Although my playing habbits are a bit wierd, ie. play non-stop for 3mths quit for a 6mths one thing never changes and that is my love for all the info on tip.it. I have always used this site due to masses amount of info available and also how easy it is to use... :)

I will always seek out quest guides from other fan sites though, the reason I use a guide is becasue I want to do it quickly not becasue I want to know the story. If that was the case I would do the quest myself. I think tip.it's guides go into far to much detail over un-necessary things and I find the impossible to scan through for the info I actually need...

Perhaps somebody could answer this question for me, is this Forum far less active than what it was, say a year ago?...

Avid43.png

For guides, some of the guides in the AOW seem better to me than the ones on the Wiki. The only problem is that there isn't a guide for everything, and sometimes the authors fail to update their guides. =\

I guess the best way we can improve is to get more guide writers (both f2p and p2p obviously) to write guides on as many things as possible.

Myself, I'm writing guides because I know other people need it. And since I'm effectively training the stuff myself, might as well write a guide about it. It's more of a hobby than anything, but I know someone out there needs help. And since I'm f2p, and there aren't a whole lot of f2p guides, might as well write guides anyway. I plan on writing a lot more guides in the future :thumbup:

The only other thing I'm concerned about are images. I always find myself using RSwiki images for my guides, firstly because I'm crap at editing, but also because the images there are so diverse, and great. Tip it doesn't really match up to the standards of RSwiki in this aspect, unfortunately.

And I think it's been established that Tip it has the best forums out of all the fansites.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I just want to say, as a newer player browsing different fansites what attracted me to Tip.It and it's community was the Tip.It Times.

Other stuff can certainly be imporved upon as no single fansite is perfect. Gp/exp on the calculators would be awesome for example.

But the one thing I would love to see expanded would be the times because I truly think it is a catalyst for discussion and thinking within the community and a major draw, at least for me. The Time are as exciting as the regular updates and if one aspect of Tip.It was to be expanded, I would hope it to be this.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

RS Wiki

Bestiary

Items

Others

Tip.it

Forums

Skill Calculators

Skill Planners

Special Calcs

XP Table

Others

Runescape Community

Clan Discussion

Money Making

Guides

Dark_Yeng.png

2002 - 2003 RuneScape Classic Clans: Wild Dawgs (WD). Court of Dragons (CoD). BlacKnights (BK). Black Dragon Knights (BDK).

2009 - 2010 RuneScape 2 Clan/Team: Hardly Dead (HD). Ex-Team Silent Ember (SE).

~ Hmong Pride ~

A graphical over-haul for the forums would be nice. White is a readable colour, this dark blue background hurts my eyes. Seriously I studied marketing, the most successful websites use the colours white, green, and blue (certain shades).

Firebug 4 Lyfe: 80/99

A graphical over-haul for the forums would be nice. White is a readable colour, this dark blue background hurts my eyes. Seriously I studied marketing, the most successful websites use the colours white, green, and blue (certain shades).

I remember it being white for a while and i really disliked it, felt way to bright. I could live with a lighter blue or a wood color or even a green though

This is why Tip.It needs more skins.

Tip.It for forums and TT quick reference (best one)

RsWiki well for a lot of info althought some stuff is really stupid there (lol take 100+ DBowers for a guarantee 1 hit Corp kill : aka this isn't a Corp tactic can do that for any boss).

Used Sals a lot in the past for quest guides.

Sometimes mess around with RuneHQ calculators

nasty_jenny.png

I remember it being white for a while and i really disliked it, felt way to bright. I could live with a lighter blue or a wood color or even a green though

I agree that white is to bright, but I don't acctually mind the dark blue, maybe it's because I haven't really had anything to compare it to but I haven't had any problems with it.

I only say that AT LEAST do not make it like RuneVillage and make it an 'anti-F2P members club'. At least, that's what happened when I made an F2P suggestion in their forums.

La Vallett1

A.k.a. "Nostalgic Vallett"

What's been said must be done.

I only say that AT LEAST do not make it like RuneVillage and make it an 'anti-F2P members club'. At least, that's what happened when I made an F2P suggestion in their forums.

If it was, then the f2p general discussion thread wouldn't even exist, and I wouldn't even have made my f2p guides. :thumbup:

I hate anti-f2p communities with a passion, as well.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I don't really think Tip.It can match the concept of a wiki, information-wise.

This is a fair statement. Essentially EVERYONE works for the Wiki, although the information there cannot generally be trusted for RIGHTNOW updates. On the other hand, the nature of them provides first touch to all truly new updates.

Tip It does a nice job of publishing guides and databases as soon as the content is noticed, cited, and verified. The downside is it is a bit slower, the upside is that it is generally more reliable info.

stormveritas.png

tip.it and rs wiki only.

i use tipit for just about everything, and on the unlikely chance tipit does not have it rs wiki most likely will.

that and rs wiki has all the useless info that comes in use once every million years to one in a million people. i like reading that stuff XD

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!