What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

I read that back in 8th grade. It was alright. However, I prefer the ever so popular How To Kill A Mocking Bird. (a quick youtube search will show you)

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I recently finished 1984 and To Kill a Mockingbird. I plan on reading The Clockwork Orange or A Farewell to Arms next. Any recommendations?

A Farewell to Arms is good, but I'd suggest reading The Sun Also Rises first. Really anything Hemingway wrote was gold though.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Well that was fast. I was a little skeptical of the whole book until the end. What did you think of it??

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Well that was fast. I was a little skeptical of the whole book until the end. What did you think of it??

I generally try and power through books in a short period of time.

[hide=spoilers]

I really liked the parts of the story where he was at the front doing battle, and the parts that showed him building his relationship with Catherine. I think my favorite part had to be just after the had killed one sergeant and shot at the other, and had to flee. Right around there I felt it was quite quick-paced and exciting.

The end of the book made me enjoy the book a lot more. The entire time up until about book 5, I was wondering where the plot would start to twist or take course. The ending, although I didn't find too emotional, wrapped it up quite nicely for me.

[/hide]

I really enjoyed the book overall - thanks for the recommendation! I'll read The Sun Also Rises soon, but I don't usually try to read 2 books in a row by the same author, unless they're in a series. I plan on reading The Clockwork Orange next, and then The Hunger Games series after that. I'll probably read The Sun Also Rises shortly after that.

The Sun Also Rises could be loosely considered a sequel and is a much better novel than A Farewell to Arms. But changing it up is probably a good idea.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

My local library didn't have The Sun Also Rises, The Clockwork Orange, or the first book in the Hunger Games series. So I started pride and prejudice today, and will read Lord of the Flies afterwards. I hope to have both of them done in about a week. Hopefully by then my library will have the others in!

Well, i've finished 'The Hunger Games' about 2 days ago or 3. I should finish 'Catching fire' in an hour or so, and i must say i'm really impressed. The first book is very good, but what struck me especially was that about half way through the second one, i found the sequel to be better than the first! (and that's alot in itself, considering the first was just fab)

[spoiler=Spoiler]The moment when i read President Snow's announcement that for the Quarter Quell they will be reaping from the previous winners is what really set me ablaze - i simply wasn't expecting it, i was still anxious as to what he had in store for them (like a child opening presents on Christmas day, not knowing what they are), but this had never crossed my mind! I really got excited at the chance of seeing Katniss and Peeta perform in the games once more! :D

I'm also looking forward to the Hunger Games movie, but i can't say i agree with the actors they've chosen.

[spoiler=Spoiler]Of the actors that tried out to play Katniss, i would have either liked Hailee Steinfeld or Lindsy Fonseca. And that's not because i've ever heard of them before, but just by looking at their picture they are closer to the mental image i had of Katniss. Hey maybe Jennifer Lawrence won't do that badly, but from the trailer she didn't struck me as a Katniss. The trailer i saw first was linked on tip.it (can't find the thread nor the trailer i saw at first) but that's the one i really didn't like. The trailer with them going through the woods, saying stuff about the Capitol also didn't impress me much. I don't know exactly why, it's just wasn't the way i had pictures them. Neither Prim, Katniss, Peeta or others i've seen in the trailer struck me as even up to the characters in the book. They just hit me as wanna-be-cool pretty-boys, meh. Maybe it's just me.

Final1.jpg

Well, i've finished 'The Hunger Games' about 2 days ago or 3. I should finish 'Catching fire' in an hour or so, and i must say i'm really impressed. The first book is very good, but what struck me especially was that about half way through the second one, i found the sequel to be better than the first! (and that's alot in itself, considering the first was just fab)

[spoiler=Spoiler]The moment when i read President Snow's announcement that for the Quarter Quell they will be reaping from the previous winners is what really set me ablaze - i simply wasn't expecting it, i was still anxious as to what he had in store for them (like a child opening presents on Christmas day, not knowing what they are), but this had never crossed my mind! I really got excited at the chance of seeing Katniss and Peeta perform in the games once more! :D

I'm also looking forward to the Hunger Games movie, but i can't say i agree with the actors they've chosen.

[spoiler=Spoiler]Of the actors that tried out to play Katniss, i would have either liked Hailee Steinfeld or Lindsy Fonseca. And that's not because i've ever heard of them before, but just by looking at their picture they are closer to the mental image i had of Katniss. Hey maybe Jennifer Lawrence won't do that badly, but from the trailer she didn't struck me as a Katniss. The trailer i saw first was linked on tip.it (can't find the thread nor the trailer i saw at first) but that's the one i really didn't like. The trailer with them going through the woods, saying stuff about the Capitol also didn't impress me much. I don't know exactly why, it's just wasn't the way i had pictures them. Neither Prim, Katniss, Peeta or others i've seen in the trailer struck me as even up to the characters in the book. They just hit me as wanna-be-cool pretty-boys, meh. Maybe it's just me.

Well, actors never have bothered me that much, but I've already seen a few things that I didn't like in the trailer...so I kind of think that the movi won't really do the books honor.

[spoiler=Spoiler] First thing I immediately noticed - why does Katniss have make up on even in district 12 and in the arena? What's the preparation before she goes to the arena if she already has make up an everything? It just doesn't make thing believable - they're dirt poor, and in the arena she hardly has time to check herself in a mirror either. If it's more important to make her look pretty than to portray the situation well, I kind of doubt that the rest of the film will do that job that good. The arena was also a bit strange - the starting circle was really small. What would stop the tributes from district 1 and 2 from setting after the others immediately and killing half of them already?

I already am a bit concernced of how they'll deal with the brutal scenes. I assume the movies will be for ages 12 and above...so there might be some issues with including more brutal scenes. Not that they have to be in such a movie...but often cutting such stuff out is done badly and just feels wrong.

And I hope there won't be "Team Peeta" and "Team Gale" being created :roll:

Well, actors never have bothered me that much, but I've already seen a few things that I didn't like in the trailer...so I kind of think that the movie won't really do the books honor.

[spoiler=Spoiler] First thing I immediately noticed - why does Katniss have make up on even in district 12 and in the arena? What's the preparation before she goes to the arena if she already has make up an everything? It just doesn't make thing believable - they're dirt poor, and in the arena she hardly has time to check herself in a mirror either. If it's more important to make her look pretty than to portray the situation well, I kind of doubt that the rest of the film will do that job that good. The arena was also a bit strange - the starting circle was really small. What would stop the tributes from district 1 and 2 from setting after the others immediately and killing half of them already?

I already am a bit concernced of how they'll deal with the brutal scenes. I assume the movies will be for ages 12 and above...so there might be some issues with including more brutal scenes. Not that they have to be in such a movie...but often cutting such stuff out is done badly and just feels wrong.

And I hope there won't be "Team Peeta" and "Team Gale" being created :roll:

I'll have to agree with you on those, you reminded me of them. I guess books are usually better than movie adaptations because they let you imagine what you want them to look like. I think this is also credit to the author's way of wrapping the whole thing in terrific wording.

[spoiler=Spoiler]Yes, they are dirt poor but they look nothing like it in the movie. They just look like kids out on a hiking trip who fell with their faces in the mud. I also expected them to be a bit, well thinner, especially since starvation was a big issue in their day to day lives. Oh well, i'll still probably go see the movie - atleast it will give me 'ohhh, i remember that' moments, though i suspect it might give me something more along the lines of 'wait, i don't remember that', or give it the feeling of just being fragmented bits put togheter. Bummer the second installment won't be until autumn 2013.

Off topic: Finished 'Catching Fire'. Have to say, the ending with District 13 coming in to save the day with their hovercrafts to fly Haymitch, Katniss and Finnick away - it's a kind of 'the cavalry is here' feeling :P. Districts in full rebellion, last book sounds as promising as ever. I'm really worried about Peeta though - i can't imagine Katniss being with Gale after all this time, especially since she does like Peeta so much she would die for him. I can only imagine Katniss being with Peeta now. I'll have to temper myself in reading the last book, though. As much as i can't put the book down, i know i'll enjoy it more if i spread my reading time out a little more.

Final1.jpg

Just finished Pride and Prejudice. Can't say I enjoyed it, it was actually kind of painful to read. I think I'll take a short break before starting on Lord of the Flies.

Just finished Pride and Prejudice. Can't say I enjoyed it, it was actually kind of painful to read. I think I'll take a short break before starting on Lord of the Flies.

Jane Austen is widely regarded as a useless writer, and rightly so. The crimes she committed against literature surpass Melanie Phillips' crimes against journalism.

I am reading The Hermitic Tradition: Symbols & Teachings of the Royal Art by Julius Evola. Most enjoyable.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I just finished "Dawn of the Gods"(roughly translated title, read it in German :P) by Tanja Kinkel. A thriller about genetic engineering and how unsupervised research might be done with as few remose as and lead to similar devastating results as e.g. the surficial atomic bomb tests in the 50s.

Decision Points by George W. Bush.

Recently bought it, and it will be a very interesting read.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Decision Points by George W. Bush.

Recently bought it, and it will be a very interesting read.

I've debated buying this - please make sure to notify us if it's good. :shades:

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau