What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

Flowers for Algernon is a great book. I should read it again.

I'm currently reading the Maximum Ride series. My gf gave it to me. Entertaining, but definitely meant for kids.

Those are pretty enjoyable books, but I'd advise you stop reading the second he starts jamming environmental junk down your throat. It's mostly downhill from there.

I'm reading The Science of Discworld III. I got this when I was like 14 and basically skipped all the non-story chapters, so now I'm going back now that I can actually understand/be interested by them and they're pretty great. And of course I get to pick up on all the references and jokes I missed when I was younger, too.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I'm about to start the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. I've had the books for a while, but I was distracted by other books and well, yeah. I'm putting these at the top of a looooooooong list of things to read.

You should read her book The Thief Lord if you haven't already.

It's one of my favorite books ever. <3:

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

I don't particularly care for sci-fi novels but has anyone read The Hunger Games?

It's not that much of a sci-fi novel. You won't see any aliens or cyborgs or anything like that. It's more like an alternate reality. The first book is broad enough that you could read it, enjoy it, and move on. But if you didn't like Hunger Games I wouldn't suggest Catching Fire or Mockingjay.

I'm about to start the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. I've had the books for a while, but I was distracted by other books and well, yeah. I'm putting these at the top of a looooooooong list of things to read.

They were both creative and good reads, highly recommended for fantasy lovers. Short, too, which is good if you don't have a lot of spare time.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'll track it down when I've finished these three :) Thanks for the recommendation!

DdzSE8e.png

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Blog

I borrowed two books from the library today: Kafka's The Castle and Mulisch' the Discovery of Heaven, both in Dutch. I'm also gonna borrow a book called "We" from a friend of mine, it's a disgusting book, from what I've heard. In other words, I'm looking forward to reading it :P

The best part? We was on a list of books I could read for my Dutch class.

Was wondering why that author's name was so familiar before that post. Good book :thumbup:

Finished Sphere, now going to read A Feast for Crows, then probably more Crichton stuff (I blame Serp) until I can find the first book(s) of the Wheel of Time series.

Finally cracking open Dune after having owned it for a year. I'd been meaning to read it, but a combination of little time and other books, specifically Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens and David Wong's John Dies at the End (both amazing books, by the way). Dune is good so far, but I'm less than a hundred pages in. High hopes, though.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

The Magicians, by Lev Grossman. Since it's a magical boarding school fiction, the obvious thing to do would be to say "if you like Harry Potter, read this." But that would be doing it a disservice, as they're pretty different. I'd recommend it anyway, as I read it in two nights, and will probably end up reading it again. If you're a fan of magic and stuff, read it, but it definitely feels more... anti-fantasy than anything else, really. Don't go into this with the mindset of "oh, Harry Potter for adults" like I did and you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

I really like the universe, and would definitely read more stuff set there, but the protagonist was definitely unsympathetic, which I suppose was kinda the point, but still.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I recently brought the Percy Jackson series of books. I am currently reading the sea of monsters - the second book - Its good, but I have lost track of it, it looks like we have a trip to Scotland coming up pretty soon, either tonight or tomorrow morning depends on how bad my grams is, so with that being a 13+ hour trip I will take it and read some in the car.

The Magicians, by Lev Grossman. Since it's a magical boarding school fiction, the obvious thing to do would be to say "if you like Harry Potter, read this." But that would be doing it a disservice, as they're pretty different. I'd recommend it anyway, as I read it in two nights, and will probably end up reading it again. If you're a fan of magic and stuff, read it, but it definitely feels more... anti-fantasy than anything else, really. Don't go into this with the mindset of "oh, Harry Potter for adults" like I did and you'll probably enjoy it a lot.

I really like the universe, and would definitely read more stuff set there, but the protagonist was definitely unsympathetic, which I suppose was kinda the point, but still.

I bought this book, just haven't got around to reading it yet. :P Now I'm looking even more forward to it.

I recently brought the Percy Jackson series of books. I am currently reading the sea of monsters - the second book - Its good, but I have lost track of it, it looks like we have a trip to Scotland coming up pretty soon, either tonight or tomorrow morning depends on how bad my grams is, so with that being a 13+ hour trip I will take it and read some in the car.

AMAZING SERIES READ IT RIGHT NOW

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

A while ago I stumbled upon a series by Lyn MacDonald about WW1. She wrote a book about every year of that war, based largely on letters, military orders and things like that. Does a great job at completely wiping the floor with some ideas the british high command had at certain points. (like how they pretty much stumbled into the Gallipoli campaign without proper preparation, picking a beach to land on with high cliffs around it (Turks had a fieldday there picking off the ANZAC landing troops under em) So I ifnished 1914 and 1915 and now I'm reading 1916, 2 more parts after that (ofc)

sebas379.png

[hide]

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing;

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews;

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores;

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

[/hide]

Just finished Flowers for Algernon. I'm starting "To Kill a Mockingbird" today too. I plan on reading The Scarlet Letter when I'm done that, or maybe 1984. Don't know which one. Recommendations?

OMFGWTFBBQ series is amazing. I bought the book that just came out yesterday 4 minutes after it came out. Can't wait for "doors of stone" tho in kingkiller chroncles.