What book are you currently reading?

sees_all1

(re) reading "collapse" by jared diamond.

brilliant man, brilliant author, highly recommend all his works. one of my favourites. I've only read his "guns germs and steel" should get around to reading a few more. \

(re) reading The Plague by Camus - a book I think everyone should read. the diatribes he constructs on human nature, existentialism, nihlism etc etc -- in the stranger, however compelling aren't really as easily skimmed off the top, you'll have to read it more intently to get anything of value out of it. some of you who have read it might not agree with me but eh.

along side this; Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene, hefty volume. Getting through it, good so far.

On the list,

Genome by Matt Ridley, caught my eye in the bookstore since I enjoy reading science nonfiction and etc biology in particular. has gotten many good reviews.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Konrad, a classic (which I have somehow managed to avoid reading all this time)

Got Orientation by Daniel(?) Orozco. I'm actually starting to like the books and stories that are being assigned for English courses, and it only took... 13-14 years :-?

It's a collection of short stories, seem to be written in an almost conversational style with a bit of black comedy thrown in for good measure (In the title story, at least).

Relax into Stretch: Instant Flexibility Through Mastering Muscle Tension by Pavel Tsatsouline

Seriously. Never felt better in my life than after doing a few of the stretches he talks about.

www.msu.edu/~gilber96/pavel.pdf

PM me for fitocracy invite

It seems like all the characters except Nick are ridiculously shallow and/or stupid.

That's the point! Fitzgerald is trying to accurately portray the social environment of post-WW1 America. They often referred to themselves as the Lost Generation (a term coined by Ernest Hemingway). These people had seen so much destruction, devastation, and death that they thought faith in humanity was a hopeless cause and found solace in decadent and shallow activities.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently bought a few books from ebay (I don't quite like amazon - new books are often listed at rather high prices)

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

SuperFreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes, and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance

Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces that Shape Our Decisions

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Does anyone have any book recommendations based on my preferences? I seem to be fascinated by deeply philosophical/psychological/economical books, mainly.

Currently reading 'Discourses of Livy' by Machiavelli.

Absolutely amazing book! If you've not read it already, I strongly recommend reading The Prince afterwards. Both juxtapose one another quite nicely.

I am currently reading The Tosa Diary. I think some here might enjoy it: it's a diary written in 10th century Japan, by a famous poet and aristocrat who, assuming the identity of a woman, writes about a trip from Tosa to Kyoto, having ended his tenure as governor of the former province. In Tosa, the man lost his daughter, and his mourning is a recurrent theme throughout the book. One particularly moving extract:

"Other people who were with us on the ship all have their children swarming noisily around them, and their happy cries make the sadness all the more unbearable."

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I just finished reading A Clash of Kings (Second book of the A song of fire and Ice series) and I am just giving myself some time before I start reading A Stomr of Swords.

Dusk%20Soul.png

I just finished reading A Clash of Kings (Second book of the A song of fire and Ice series) and I am just giving myself some time before I start reading A Stomr of Swords.

It is very wise to give yourself a break between books. Its been ~1 month since I've read a storm of swords and even now I don't feel ready for #4.

hiccup.png

Just finished The Girl who Player with fire. Now starting on The girl who Kicked the Hornet's nest. Hopefully will be as good as the other two.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

^ I've been meaning to read the Millennium Trilogy, haven't got around to it yet. I should be able to find it quite easily though, unlike the other books I'm looking for (Which are in English, which is what makes them hard to find).

C2b6gs7.png